Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

Comments

• Reply 121 of 236
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I have Apple BT keyboards that I have occasionally paired with my iPads, when I need to write something long, however, it should remain an option, and I see no reason for Apple to go beyond that.

I don't want any stupid kickstands on my iPads, I don't want a keyboard that snaps into place, I don't want a mouse and I don't want it to look or work like a laptop.

I also use a fork, spoon and knife when I eat dinner. I'd imagine that if I were invited for dinner by a Surface owner, I'd be given a damn spork to eat with.

Me neither. My ideal set up would be a dock like the iPod universal dock that we used to have, that would allow me to dock my iPad mini to a monitor, keyboard an printer. I can almost do this now with an Apple VGA or hdmi adapter, BT keyboard and wireless printer. What is missing at the moment is mouse support in iOS so that I can draw tables and objects in Pages etc without the need to keep reaching for the iPad. This to me is the ideal home set up. It is possible to do this now on android using slimport or mhl adapters but the apps available are nowhere close to being as good as the iWork and iLife apps on iOS.
  • Reply 122 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

We already have an OSX optimized for touch - it's called iOS.

If iOS truly was OSX optimized for touch I'd be using an iPhone right now.  Unfortunately it's not, even though they share some low-level aspects.

• Reply 123 of 236
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Performance is a key factor for a desktop experience.

Fortunately the performance of these new chips are capable enough to handle a desktop class OS.   Something that was not previously possible in said form factors.

• Reply 124 of 236
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member

If "iPad Air" then "Macbook Mini"?

• Reply 125 of 236
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And this alleged hybrid device would be panned as a johnny-come-lately Surface clone... and that would accurate too.
    That's why I don't think we'll see it, certainly not the way Microsoft implemented it. I oouod see making iOS more powerful before Apple would ever make OSX touch based.
  • Reply 126 of 236
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    The MBA is Dead Man Walking.  We're only a couple of years away from the iPad being as capable as a MBA.  In about 2 to 4 years I see Apple's mobile device line-up being iPhones / iPads / rMBP.

Not going to happen anytime soon, if not ever.

iPad will not run OS X on an AX series chip. iOS will not run on Intel. Some people like the portability of the MBA while doing more than what iOS has to offer.
  • Reply 127 of 236
    The solution I am waiting for Apple to allow Parallels to run IOS just like it can run Windows. I have a 13" Mac Pro laptop, and Dell touchscreen DUO laptop with dual boot Windows 7 & 8.1. Windows 8.1 is ok on the DUO but the apps don't come close to my IPAD 2 apps. I love the track pad on the Mac Pro and found that when I installed Parallels on the Mac and then installed Windows 8.1 that I didn't need a touch screen as the Mac track pad worked great with the Windows 8 apps. I always use a Bluetooth keyboard with the IPAD anyway so if Parallels could run IOS as a virtual machine then that would be the perfect solution for me. I would run out and buy a 13" Mac Air the day after this happens and dump the IPAD and windows laptop as the Air would do everything then.
  • Reply 128 of 236
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not going to happen anytime soon, if not ever.

iPad will not run OS X on an AX series chip. iOS will not run on Intel. Some people like the portability of the MBA while doing more than what iOS has to offer.

I never said iPad will run OSX, nor did I say iOS will run on Intel processors, read again.  And my previous comment assumes that iOS will gain more capability over time and iPad hardware will also get more powerful over time.  Once that happens, there's really no need for a MBA.  The iPad Air will subsume the MBA.  We'll just have to agree to disagree and let time decide who's right.

• Reply 129 of 236
    Do you think that Apple has OSX Mavericks, including pro apps like Final Cut Pro 10.1 running on ARM chips?

Do you think Apple has iOS7, including most iOS7 apps, running on Intel chips?

Do you think OSX Mavericks and iOS7 share a 50%-75% common code base?

Any opportunities here?
    I don't know what percentage it is, but iOS 7 & OSX Mavericks do share a lot of the same code base.  The only difference is, is that OSX is optimized for keyboard / mouse use and iOS is optimized for multitouch.

Apple is laser focused on using their own custom processors so I wouldn't be surprised of they had a version of OSX running on ARM-based processors but not iOS running on Intel processors.

"The only major difference is, is that OSX is optimized for keyboard / mouse use and iOS is optimized for multitouch."

The UI differences are mainly contained in two frameworks:

OSX uses AppKit
    iOS   uses UIKit

Other differences exist in other frameworks -- some missing from iOS or OSX.

But there are still other differences, sometimes subtle...

On OSX you can drag and drop, say from iPhoto to eMail. It'd be nice to have that capability in IOS -- but you have a single window containing one app.

A couple of iOS releases back, it was reported that Apple ProRes APIs were included in iOS -- then removed.

Why would Apple include ProRes in iOS, then remove it? No iOS apps use ProRes -- that's for high-end video editing!
  • Reply 130 of 236
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I never said iPad will run OSX, nor did I say iOS will run on Intel processors, read again.  And my previous comment assumes that iOS will gain more capability over time and iPad hardware will also get more powerful over time.  Once that happens, there's really no need for a MBA.  The iPad Air will subsume the MBA.  We'll just have to agree to disagree and let time decide who's right.

No, it's the internet. We need to argue, call each other names! /s

I get what your saying but I don't think it's going to happen. I don't think the iPad will ever be able to run "power" programs. The people who buy the MBA are not the same as those buying an iPad.
  • Reply 131 of 236
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Renamed iPad Air to conceptually link the lighter form factor to an already popular product. It was a smart marketing move.

Only if it sells as well as its predecessor.
  • Reply 132 of 236
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I don't see Apple ever copying a Surface even it it did copy the Droid mini size.
  • Reply 133 of 236
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
    Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

Touch optimized OS X is called iOS; they both have the same OS underneath slightly different UIs.
    No problem to have Universal apps that besides an iPhone and iPad touch mode have a desktop/keyboard mode; e.g the core engine of Pages is the same everywhere only the UI has to switch between desktop and touch mode depending on device setup/status.
    Totally doable without sacrificing the user experience, just like the same app can switch between iPad and iPhone modes.
  • Reply 134 of 236
    st88 wrote: »
    Bay Trail and Haswell Y-series are already on the market. . .

And nobody cares.
  • Reply 135 of 236
    pmz wrote: »
    I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
    Why? It would be a worthless clunky piece of garbage like every other Desktop OS shoehorned into a touch device.

OS X is made for Keyboard and Mouse.

iOS is made for touch.

What is it that stupid people don't understand about this ultra-basic and simple concept?

What moron doesn't get that iOS and OSX are both the same OS called Darwin wrapped in a different GUI?
    GUIs can dynamically change, just as the OS can dynamically deal with adding a second monitor or the screen going from landscape to portrait orientation:
    Open windows get redecorated with different UI elements, menu bar (dis)apprears, etc. happens faster than you can think once the screen gets (un)docked in/from a keyboard.
  • Reply 136 of 236
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And nobody cares.

It doesn't really matter if you care or not.  You made a false statement and I corrected you, simple as that.

• Reply 137 of 236
    [quote]The way that some people on this forum are advocating for Apple to emulate and copy a failed concept (like the MS Surface) is laughable.

What a great strategy. Gee, what should Apple do next with it's super successful iPad line? Golly gee, let's borrow features from the least successful device on the market! That ought to be real swell! 

If Apple does release a "convertible", it will be good news for people looking to short AAPL.
    [/quote]

There's a difference between failed concept and failed execution.
    There were windows tablets long before the iPad, by your logic apple should never have made an iPad because the tablet concept already was proven a failure.
    Glad you don't run Apple...
    Properly executed there is no need for any compromise, it's just that you lack the ability to think creatively enough, just as if you were an M$ employee...
  • Reply 138 of 236
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sseaton1971 View Post

I could see Apple releasing an iOS with a keyboard, which would bascially make it a laptop. 

How, when iOS explicitly exists to not be that?

The problem with simply buying an iPad is that some users really do need a keyboard

Then they should have purchased a laptop. The iPad’s keyboard is just fine.

…some kind of file management…

You don’t get it at all. It’s not 1990 anymore.

Originally Posted by 3doggie View Post

The solution I am waiting for Apple to allow Parallels to run IOS just like it can run Windows.

Enjoy waiting forever.

• Reply 139 of 236
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You obviously never used an MBA. Net books are cheap POS with crippled hardware.

Yes, I have and what I said still stands. There isn't much you can do on a MBA that you can't do on an iPad. A 12" iPad would make a MBA a useless netbook. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseaton1971 View Post

The MacBook Air is not a netbook.

Its the next generation of netbooks (aka ultrabooks). It really doesn't do much in the end. 

• Reply 140 of 236
    Do you think that Apple has OSX Mavericks, including pro apps like Final Cut Pro 10.1 running on ARM chips?

Do you think Apple has iOS7, including most iOS7 apps, running on Intel chips?

Do you think OSX Mavericks and iOS7 share a 50%-75% common code base?

Any opportunities here?

Apple has all of OSX running on ARM, and all of iOS on Intel, just like they used to have it running on PPC and x86.
    Further iOS and OSX have the identical core OS called Darwin, and the same core foundation libraries.
    80-90% of the code is probably identical, except one has CocoaUI and the other CocoaTouchUI which can be merged into a single context sensitive version of Cocoa; anyone ever giving a thought why Apple is pushing constraint based auto layout of apps? Because such apps can adapt their appearance automatically if screen size, orientation or UI elements change.