First Look: Typo Bluetooth keyboard case for iPhone 5 and 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

If Apple would just add a Swype-style keyboard option, you wouldn't feel the pull toward a Blackberry-style physical keyboard.

I don’t feel the pull toward either. Swype is pretty terrible.

• Reply 22 of 83
    From the article:

"With the keyboard installed, it is nearly impossible to perform the swipe-up gesture activating the feature, which leaves control of Wi-Fi, orientation lock, Bluetooth and other system functions buried in the Settings app."

No problem! They can update the keyboard!

oh. wait...

• Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No it really isn't. It is still a gimmick on those poor touch screens. The idea has potential, but all of that potential is still completely unrealized.

What matters more is how many times faster it is to type on the iOS touch keyboard than that stupid arrangement of tiny tic-tacs. The answer being, several orders of magnitude.

Swype style keyboards are a lot faster for me. It's also nice to quickly type out full words rather than a bunch of abbreviations for everything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Swype is pretty terrible.

Yeah, for you. Why not offer both, like that other platform?

• Reply 24 of 83
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Why not offer both, like that other platform?

Do you know anything whatsoever about Apple?

• Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Do you know anything, whatsoever, about being something other than a blowhard?

• Reply 26 of 83
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Do

So that’s a resounding “No,” then.

Watch this and learn.

• Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:

So that’s a resounding “No,” then.

Watch this and learn.

That's <sob> beautiful. Are you feeling "love and connection" right now?

• Reply 28 of 83
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple offer plenty of choices and configuration options. Shut up TS.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member

Given how faithfully they've copied both the patented aspects of BB's keyboard design (the diagonally raised key surface facing the user's thumbs) and even the visual design (the bright bars separating each row of keys), I'd say that the chances of BB obtaining an injunction against the Typo's sale are better than good.

• Reply 30 of 83
    Can AI stop saying "Ryan Seacrest-backed"? It sounds like a press release masquerading as an article.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Just be grateful that he does not have a Swype-type keyboard, that would result in twice the jerkiness.

• Reply 32 of 83
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

That's <sob> beautiful. Are you feeling "love and connection" right now?

Shut up and go away. We knew you’re a troll; we didn’t know you were incapable of reading.

If the only thing you can do is strawman, I’ll have to ask you to never reply to my posts again.

• Reply 33 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Subjective at best. There is more that they don't offer, than do. For good reason.

Some things just suck. Apple does what bloggers do not...try everything for a while, and the ideas that sounded good but got annoying after a while or just didn't hold up to all use cases...get scrapped. And that gives Apple the clout to not include something, despite what a potential user thinks sounds good in concept.

Over the years I've established a lot of that on my own via jailbeaking. I'll install a tweak that from the description sounds great....use it for a while...then ditch it after I realize I didn't really need it, or it didn't enhance the experience like I thought it would, or it just wasn't as good of an idea in practice as it was in concept.

This is what Apple does routinely, and why the products are as top shelf as they are once they get out the door. They spend all year trying out the crap and weeding through it until the cream rises to the top.

• Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

Quote:

Shut up and go away. We knew you’re a troll; we didn’t know you were incapable of reading.

Wait, who's the troll?

A constructive conversation would say "Actually, Apple has filed a patent indicating a keyboard similar to Swype might be in the future. One of their goals (see their current ad campaign) is to greatly refine the user experience and make sure everything is just right before delivering on new features."

But, no, you'd rather spew feces.

My point is that they should just open up the keyboard to apps. It's not like Apple is trying to control the entire experience, so why draw the line on the other side of the keyboard?

• Reply 35 of 83
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,923member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

If Apple would just add a Swype-style keyboard option, you wouldn't feel the pull toward a Blackberry-style physical keyboard. I can "type" twice as fast and considerably more accurately on my Nexus 5 than on my iPhone or my old Blackberry. If you've never tried swiping, try it (and of course you'd get better with practice) before unthinkingly preferring Apple's current approach; it really is better.

I doubt they would since they'd have to pay a license fee. Swype is owned by Nuance. You can't just pull a Sumsung and release something exactly the same and call it something different and think its legal. 

• Reply 36 of 83
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Blackberry is suing Typo for this keyboard.

• Reply 37 of 83
    If the only thing you can do is strawman, I’ll have to ask you to never reply to my posts again.
    So you don't understand what a straw man is either?

I'll reply to whatever I damn well want thankyouverymuch. Ironic that you of all people would play the victim with all the vitriol you spew out.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So you don't understand what a straw man is either?

I know that in a discussion exclusively about software, talking about hardware is a misrepresentation.

Or maybe that’s not what a strawman is.

I'll reply to whatever I damn well want thankyouverymuch.

If you can’t actually reply to it, however, don’t expect to be taken seriously.

• Reply 39 of 83
    Who was talking about hardware? Not me. I'd accuse you of setting up a straw man, but instead I suspect you're just a bit thick.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    If you can’t actually reply to it, however, don’t expect to be taken seriously.
    You'd know all about that.