First Look: Typo Bluetooth keyboard case for iPhone 5 and 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    What is it with iPhone 5 series add-on manufacturers hitting a $99 price point for everything they make for the iPhone 5/5S/5C? In some cases the build quality belies a product that might be good for $29.99 perhaps even $49.99 at most. Some are built better, but have other drawbacks that might make the price still seem too high. Honestly, if you got an iPhone 5C, should you want to, you now have to spend the same money you spent on a subsidized iPhone which does a million things for a device that does only one thing and may not even last nearly as long as the phone it was built to support.

Certainly there's some R&D investments going on here among other things that may need to be made back, but, I'm seeing devices like this as being in a very niche market not entirely something that is going to make loads of money for these companies. Sure, once the prices go down (and I'm sure they will sooner rather than later) and the bugs are worked out, they may fly off the shelves a bit better. However, right now I'm not convinced devices like this BB-style keyboard or the various "game controller cases" are going to sell in any record numbers for $100 no matter how good they are. One-trick pony for the price of a 5C Swiss Army Knife? We've been waiting for accessories like this for a while. I say just keep waiting a bit longer.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Who was talking about hardware? Not me.

Again, stifled laughter.

Apple offer plenty of choices and configuration options.

• Reply 43 of 83
    Seems like another laughably useless invention to me.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Again, stifled laughter.
    You keep laughing at things that aren't funny, which is a mark of a crazy person.

Why do "choices and configuration options" suggest hardware rather than software in your warped little mind? Or is this another case where you keep your own private definitions of common words that everyone else is expected to have foreknowledge of?
  • Reply 45 of 83

You keep laughing at things that aren't funny, which is a mark of a crazy person.

“Humor is not subjective. Finding something funny that I do not find funny is insane.”

And you wonder why I laugh.

Why do “choices and configuration options” suggest hardware rather than software…

Because Apple offers no such choices or configuration options for their software.

That sentence really shouldn’t have ever had to be written. You should have just known it. You should know things before typing them. Or at the very least be able to draw conclusions based on things. Context clues, man.

• Reply 46 of 83
    Apple offer no choices or configuration in their software? Odd that I have all these options in Settings.app then. I must have been imagining it when I turned Control Center off, changed the wallpaper, modified ringtones, added text expansion shortcuts and made numerous modifications to the behaviour of the keyboard.

So, are you going to apologise for calling a legitimate point a strawman then?
  • Reply 47 of 83

and made numerous modifications to the behavior of the keyboard.

Turned on Swype, did you? Neat.

• Reply 48 of 83
    Are you kidding? The point was that Apple could add Swype as an option and it wouldn't be wholly against principle because the have other choices and configuration options in iOS.

You can't logically use the fact that Swype isn't on the iPhone as an argument for Swype not being added to the iPhone. Unless you are actually insane.

Waiting on any acknowledgement of the false accusation of a strawman argument...
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Turned on Swype, did you? Neat.

See, it really would be nice and natural to have that option. They'd have to call it something else though. iSmear? Sk8board?

• Reply 50 of 83
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

See, it really would be nice and natural to have that option. They'd have to call it something else though. iSmear? Sk8board?

uSeless, ClunkE, etc.

• Reply 51 of 83
    Apples keyboard is, of course, perfect and could not be improved in any conceivable way.
  • Reply 52 of 83

Apples keyboard is, of course, perfect and could not be improved in any conceivable way.

Of course¡

• Reply 53 of 83
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

That's always TS's position about pretty much everything. Really not worth engaging with him. 

• Reply 54 of 83
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Getting back 1/2 my screen will be well worth it. the review didn't mention the presence of command keys, so that I can cut, copy and paste without those insipid text hsndles.

Getting 40% of the screen back and being able to type @ (and numbers, and...), no matter what UI keyboard would have popped up, without changing virtual keyboards two or three times seems nearly worth it already.  I've got to make some passwords longer instead of full of wacky characters, which is stupid of me, but until then...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

They should have allowed the iPhone to be installed UPSIDE DOWN.

When held upside down, the home button is exposed. So TouchID can be done. And the Swipe-Up screen can be exposed via a swipe down movement instead. The only thing lost is the notifications screen - no big loss.

Brilliant.  Really.  That truly is a missed opportunity.  I bet you could flip the case as is and just block the lightning and headphone port... which isn't horrible if you don't mind taking it off to recharge -- and use Bluetooth a lot.  And could figure out how to kludge the power button.

I'm going to email them that question.  That's really smart -- wish they'd silently made it flippable or made a flippable version.

• Reply 55 of 83
    Wouldn't work. The iPhone doesn't adjust the screen for a complete inversion (the iPad does).

Plus you'd be blocking the earpiece of the phone, the front facing camera, and the ambient light sensor.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    crowley wrote: »
    Wouldn't work. The iPhone doesn't adjust the screen for a complete inversion (the iPad does).

Plus you'd be blocking the earpiece of the phone, the front facing camera, and the ambient light sensor.

It's up to the app developer how they handle "complete inversions". Downcast, for instance, flips completely.

Painfully, however, in practice you're more right than I would've expected -- I just tried a few. Mail doesn't flip. Chrome and Safari don't flip. Clear doesn't flip.

I think Downcast must be the only app I routinely use with the iPhone in strange orientations, usually because it's floating around in the car and I'm not looking when I pick it up. Didn't realize so many apps didn't. I figured there'd be a few, and you just wouldn't use the keyboard there. But if it's Mail and Safari, well, that is too bad.

For the ear speaker, you could cut a small hole for it and look like an idiot (I'm not against that, necessarily) or use Bluetooth, but yeah, I guess not that many folks are going to buy a flipped keyboard. ;) Still wish they'd make it so that you could flip it, just for kicks. Maybe app makers would catch up (though admittedly, it's not like Apple to cater to needs outside of their designs.)
  • Reply 57 of 83
    It's like sticking a propeller on a jet. Go buy a BlackBerry if you need a damn keyboard that badly. Considering BlackBerry's current financial predicament, it would appear that having a physical keyboard on a smartphone isn't quite what it was cracked up to be.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    marubenimarubeni Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's like sticking a propeller on a jet. Go buy a BlackBerry if you need a damn keyboard that badly. Considering BlackBerry's current financial predicament, it would appear that having a physical keyboard on a smartphone isn't quite what it was cracked up to be.

You no like? You no buy! But I would suggest at least trying the thing first before dismissing it out of hand (I did not especially like the physical keyboard on a blackberry a few years ago, but other people love it. Go figure). As for blackberry, they have deeper problems than the keyboard or lack thereof. The keyboard is a positive for them, unfortunately they don't have too many others.

• Reply 59 of 83
    Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

That's always TS's position about pretty much everything. Really not worth engaging with him. 

Four hour difference, you see that I explicitly said otherwise, and you STILL felt the need to say these lies? 

Get over yourself.

• Reply 60 of 83
    And yet you're against even the suggestion of Apple offering an option that is evidently very popular with users. The reason? Anything other than Apple didn't invent it? Perhaps that it's found success on Android? Those two things appear to be anathema to you.

But hurry up and fix iBooks for Mac, that's more important than anything else because it affects meeeeee.