Apple's Schiller 'unfollows' Tony Fadell and Nest after Google acquisition

1234689

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

     

     

    It's like arguing with communications majors that they don't understand applied engineering. You'll never get through to them.


    "Applied engineering"? How would you distinguish that from engineering?

  • Reply 102 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple has used outside design and engineering firms throughout its history. Lest we forget, Fadell started off that way.
    Yes I know. Ive was hired from a consulting firm. But Apple's most successful products weren't designed by a 3rd party.
  • Reply 103 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,328member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

     

     

    It's like arguing with communications majors that they don't understand applied engineering. You'll never get through to them.


    "Applied engineering"? How would you distinguish that from engineering?


     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_engineering_(field)

  • Reply 104 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post



    It bothers me that every other day I read about some new Google innovation (Glasses, smart contact lenses, floating stores, etc.). Granted, some of these things may be silly or dead ends, but they do capture newsprint and more importantly, mindshare. Deserved or not, the general public gets the message that Google is the future while Apple is left perfecting its past products. Google is winning the PR war. What this means in the long run I cannot say, but I do find it disquieting.

    The general public doesn't get that message or, at least, that's not the only message that it gets. You're more sensitive to certain news because you want to believe Apple is better than Google. The fact is, both companies get positive and negative press. Any assessment to the contrary is a lie.

  • Reply 105 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_engineering_(field)


    So ... it's for those who cannot make it as engineers. Interesting.

  • Reply 106 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Yes I know. Ive was hired from a consulting firm. But Apple's most successful products weren't designed by a 3rd party.

     

     

    That's actually an impossible statement to make. Some components of most Apple products have been designed by a 3rd party. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know the facts.

  • Reply 107 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

     

     

     

    That's actually an impossible statement to make. Some components of most Apple products have been designed by a 3rd party. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know the facts.


     

    Just reading the history of the iPod itself would change someone's mind about how much Apple relies on 3rd parties.

  • Reply 108 of 162
    The Nest is cool, but the Webee is what I'll be investing in. Not as invasive, and definitely better A.I. http://igg.me/at/webee-smart-home-automation/x/5944165
  • Reply 109 of 162
    So ... it's for those who cannot make it as engineers. Interesting.

    Tim Cook might disagree.
  • Reply 110 of 162
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    A thermostat is a glorified On/Off switch. Apple could make a better one for a lot less than $3.2B.
    Most people are missing the point of this purchase. The key to it is OpenADR and how this can be used to redirect power usage.
  • Reply 111 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The Nest is cool, but the Webee is what I'll be investing in. Not as invasive, and definitely better A.I. http://igg.me/at/webee-smart-home-automation/x/5944165

    I don't see how a Boss can replace a thermostat in the home. It looks like a very inelegant solution to me.
  • Reply 112 of 162
    Fot those who say Apple should have bought Nest...Get real!
    Apple could create a smart thermostat in its sleep that would open up a can of whip a** on Nest.
    IMHO, I felt Google bought this company for the hype. It looks good I guess to Wall Street and investors. But lets be real, you really think Google will make its money back on that thing?
    They could have gotten an OEM in Korea to make them a knock off for far less.
  • Reply 113 of 162

    I have a feeling that Tim is upset after secretly not being able to buy Nest over Google. Tony has already worked for Apple and from one of his recent interviews (too lazy to find it) it seems like he doesn't want to go back there. 

  • Reply 114 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post



    This Schiller is a typical Apple snob executive, he tried to humiliate Instagram by publicly insulting the company after they created an Android app. Now in a more subtle way he is doing the same to Nest. Business people know to grow a product it needs to appeal to the mass market, making it exclusive to Apple is just a ridiculous concept. Google believes in open standards and alliances and can use the expertise in Nest to drive these to define the smart homes of the future, which will benefit all, not just Apple users.



    Google should be congratulated as from what I see, they are certainly making our lives better, more than anything I've seen from Apple in a long while.



    Apple won't invest in adapted contact lenses to help diabetes sufferers because they would only work for iPhone users, this would be seen as unethical.



    This walled garden approach will only continue while develops keep supporting it, and that's why the stock is going to continue on shaky ground. It's not about the hardware anymore.



    I'm sorry, I'm the most liberal Guardian reading, humus eating North Londoner but your post is rubbish

  • Reply 115 of 162
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I don't see how a Boss can replace a thermostat in the home. It looks like a very inelegant solution to me.



    Unless it's Big Boss or Solid Snake!

  • Reply 116 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,694member

    That's actually an impossible statement to make. Some components of most Apple products have been designed by a 3rd party. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know the facts.

    Wow. Apple doesn't sell components. Apple sells products. All (within the 10-15 yrs) were design in house.
  • Reply 117 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,694member
    deewin wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Tim is upset after secretly not being able to buy Nest over Google. Tony has already worked for Apple and from one of his recent interviews (too lazy to find it) it seems like he doesn't want to go back there. 

    Doubtful. If Apple wanted Nest, Nest would be part of Apple.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

    That's actually an impossible statement to make. Some components of most Apple products have been designed by a 3rd party. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know the facts.

    Please. That's like saying the lumber yard is responsible for the design of my house because they supplied most of the materials and components used in it.
  • Reply 119 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Doubtful. If Apple wanted Nest, Nest would be part of Apple.

    Apple has a very poor track record of spending billions on acquisitions. The most expensive one listed on Wikipedia is still NeXT for $404,000,000 from 17 years ago. There are plenty of acquisitions have no known amount attributed but looking at the names it's possible all of them combined are well under what Google paid for Nest.
  • Reply 120 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,694member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple has a very poor track record of spending billions on acquisitions. The most expensive one listed on Wikipedia is still NeXT for $404,000,000 from 17 years ago. There are plenty of acquisitions have no known amount attributed but looking at the names it's possible all of them combined are well under what Google paid for Nest.

    "Poor track record"? That's a funny way of saying Apple doesn't overspend on acquisitions.
Sign In or Register to comment.