Nest's Fadell backtracks on data privacy, will be transparent about future changes

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's funny, but no one stops to think how junk mail arrives at their home. The selling of information has been going on for decades. It's nothing new. How preapproved credit card offers does one get? My mother turned a certain age, and all of a sudden there were AARP applications mailed to her. Banks sell information, insurance companies sell information, the government, so on and so forth.

Is that suppose to help? I hate that too and I also think that should be an opt- in as well.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is that suppose to help? I hate that too and I also think that should be an opt- in as well.

It's not supposed to help, but there should be equal outrage to the others that do it. Of course we all hate it, but the reality is that our information was being sold long before we sat in front of a computer and typed in 'Google' for the first time.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's not supposed to help, but there should be equal outrage to the others that do it. Of course we all hate it, but the reality is that our information was being sold long before we sat in front of a computer and typed in 'Google' for the first time.

Yes but they have less info on me. Googs has search history, email, friends, location, etc.
  • Reply 124 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Yes but they have less info on me. Googs has search history, email, friends, location, etc.

Good point. Facebook really creeps me out, I've gotten friend suggestions of people that I do know but are not included in my digital life.
  • Reply 125 of 137
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

Because who wants targeted advertising in their hallway? That is creepy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Is it? I mean if it was something constantly making noise or flashing yeah that's annoying, but I wouldn't call it creepy. If it just displayed an icon to indicate there was a notification then it might be annoying but might not, and isn't creepy at all to me. I guess I just don't understand why it would be weird, do you get creeped out when a website has banner ads?

"Dave, I notice you have walked past me on the way to the bathroom several times in the last hour. Are you getting sick? I have made a doctor appointment and alerted your circle of friends that you are contagious."

Yes, creepy. I do not trust Google and I do not want them with that type of access to my living space.

• Reply 126 of 137
    Quote:

"Dave, I notice you have walked past me on the way to the bathroom several times in the last hour. Are you getting sick? I have made a doctor appointment and alerted your circle of friends that you are contagious."

Yes, creepy. I do not trust Google and I do not want them with that type of access to my living space.

Anyone can invent something that sounds creepy, but what you just invented is total nonsense.

How about "Dave, I notice that a heatwave is sweeping across the nation, I have pre-emptively lowered your heating in order to save you money".

That's more realistic, and not creepy at all. Apple, Nest, Google, anyone could do this well.

• Reply 127 of 137
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Anyone can invent something that sounds creepy, but what you just invented is total nonsense.

How about "Dave, I notice that a heatwave is sweeping across the nation, I have pre-emptively lowered your heating in order to save you money".

That's more realistic, and not creepy at all. Apple, Nest, Google, anyone could do this well.

Not nonsense. It is already happening in public places. What do you think iBeacon is for? Facial recognition is already being used for targeted advertising. Do you really think that Google is not concerned with selling you things? Do you really think that if they have such intimate access to your home, they won't take full advantage of it? Don't be so naive. 

• Reply 128 of 137
    Quote:

Not nonsense. It is already happening in public places. What do you think iBeacon is for? Facial recognition is already being used for targeted advertising. Do you really think that Google is not concerned with selling you things? Do you really think that if they have such intimate access to your home, they won't take full advantage of it? Don't be so naive. 

iBeacons are tracked by your phone, not the other way around. Facial recognition indeed is being used for targeted advertising and that is slightly creepy, but I haven't heard anything about Google being involved with that.

What sort of advantage will they take from my phone? The whole point of targeted advertising is that you provide what the user wants and so it's in Google's best interests to

1. Keep hold of any data I give them as tightly as possible, so no competitors or advertisers gain an unfair advantage

2. Provide me with accurate results for things I either want to purchase, use, visit or read

3. Not annoy me

These are pretty damn good motivations for a company to have, I find only Youtube videos annoying from them (and that's understandable when you consider their insane bandwidth costs) and I don't think I've ever seen them intrude into my life in a way I can't immediately turn off or opt-out from (search history, location history, view history for example, I choose only 'location history' as I find the others a bit intrusive)

Honestly people get all worked up, but the only example you gave was one that no sane company would ever do, the suggestion I gave would be actually bloody useful and nice to have.

• Reply 129 of 137

More realistic from GoogleNest: Dave, I notice a heat wave is in your area. How about some Lipton Ice Tea. That's brisk. You can also check out the personal AC from Brookstone. Only $100 if you mention Nest and give them your zip code.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

More realistic from GoogleNest: Dave, I notice a heat wave is in your area. How about some Lipton Ice Tea. That's brisk. You can also check out the personal AC from Brookstone. Only $100 if you mention Nest and give them your zip code.

Sounds plausible. That's also not creepy at all. You've made me want some (real, not iced) tea just by mentioning it. I think they probably wouldn't even bother to make it that detailed, just show you ads for personal AC when you're on other sites, which is exactly the level of intrusion I'm happy with.

• Reply 131 of 137

Sounds plausible. That's also not creepy at all. You've made me want some (real, not iced) tea just by mentioning it. I think they probably wouldn't even bother to make it that detailed, just show you ads for personal AC when you're on other sites, which is exactly the level of intrusion I'm happy with.

Ok. How about this. Dave, I see you are wearing shorts. You do realize its 50 F out there. How about some Levi's jeans. On sale now at JC Penney's. You really need to change though. And no, I'm not live streaming to you tube.
  • Reply 132 of 137
    Quote:

Ok. How about this. Dave, I see you are wearing shorts. You do realize its 50 F out there. How about some Levi's jeans. On sale now at JC Penney's. You really need to change though. And no, I'm not live streaming to you tube.

Do we have to go through a thousand examples until you find one that sounds plausible and creepy? This one is implausible and just offensive rather than creepy.

Give it up, advertising can be annoying but Google using data you consent to to provide you with adverts for products you actually might want is much better than just getting random crappy ads and having huge billboards in public everywhere. I look forward to the future of highly personalised ads if it reduces public advertisement.

• Reply 133 of 137
    Do we have to go through a thousand examples until you find one that sounds plausible and creepy? This one is implausible and just offensive rather than creepy.

Give it up, advertising can be annoying but Google using data you consent to to provide you with adverts for products you actually might want is much better than just getting random crappy ads and having huge billboards in public everywhere. I look forward to the future of highly personalised ads if it reduces public advertisement.

Yup, Google always requires consent. They never find a workaround. /s
  • Reply 134 of 137

This one is implausible

First half is exactly what Google does now.

…Google using data you consent to provide…

So… none of it.

…for products you actually might want…

I have never made a purchase based on an advertisement.

I look forward to the future of highly personalised ads if it reduces public advertisement. 

In Google’s future, those billboards and bus stops will just be blank rectangles. Your augmented reality glasses will project advertisements on those surfaces.

• Reply 135 of 137
    Quote:

Yup, Google always requires consent. They never find a workaround. /s

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you should trust Google implicitly or anything like that. They're just a company so they can do bad things and good. I'm just saying that the current balance they strike, at least with the options I choose is pretty good for me. I don't find it creepy, they don't particularly intrude into my life (and I use an Android too) and so I would like to understand how other people see things.

• Reply 136 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

First half is exactly what Google does now.

So… none of it.

I have never made a purchase based on an advertisement.

In Google’s future, those billboards and bus stops will just be blank rectangles. Your augmented reality glasses will project advertisements on those surfaces.

I'm half expecting this to result in another trolly response from you, but I'll take a punt on giving you a decent reply.

I've never seen Google advertise to me directly about what I'm wearing, or what I'm using, or how I'm doing anything particularly. The closest example I can think of is when using Google Translate they point out Chrome has auto translation. That's a tiny bit of text on a website they own, so hardly intrusive.

I have given Google consent to track some of my information, and in return they give me useful services. For example, they'll detect traffic conditions and alert me to the time I need to leave to make an appointment. They do it without me having to pay any attention at all or do much more than use their calendar + share my location with them. That's the minimum data needed, and they provide me with a good service as a result.

I have bought things that were advertised, I have bought things in sales. It all depends on what exactly they're offering and whether it's a good deal or not. I really fail to see where that is supposed to be a bad thing. I'm currently trying to buy a particular product under £550 and I can tell you that if Google finds it and pops up an advertisement for it then I will definitely buy it immediately. I've been trying to find it for a few weeks off and on and so you can see how they could provide me with positive results in exchange for me sharing what I'm interested in.

Regarding the future, I would hope that these billboards would simply become unprofitable. In my view they are a blight on the landscape and an element of visual consent as well as property owner's consent should be used. I would hope that future advertising is made much more intelligent, I think that's Google's plan too. If they understand exactly what you are looking for and what you might need, then they act much more as a referral service than a spammy advertiser. Best of both worlds. Not quite confident Google will get there but they have some impressive engineering expertise to back them up.

• Reply 137 of 137
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    daven wrote: »
    Wrong. You can photograph it from public property (i.e. the street) but have no right to trespass on their property and photograph their condo.

Furthermore there is a form you can fill out and the house will be blurred out. There's lots to complain about with Google, but this is not one of them...