WSJ: Apple to launch two larger iPhones this year, scrap iPhone 5c

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

So the narrative you're promoting (against all evidence to the contrary) is basically this: 

"Apple is in the habit of cutting costs by preferring cheaper, substandard parts vendors, and foregoing QA testing in order to improve their bottom line, regardless of the impact on their product and brand quality."

Really?

As for your "guessing".... it's also possible their previous vendor stopped meeting Apple's quality standards/requirements. That simple.

But no, you headed straight to the most cynical view possible, and advanced a narrative that describes a company quite unlike the actual one under discussion...

Nobody can be perfect 100% of the time, including Apple. But again, the "issues" that surfaced regarding the initial sensor calibrations have been fixed. End of story.

Why are you continuing to advance this narrative that Apple behaves in a careless and greedy manner, when they clearly don't operate that way in general?

Why are you foaming at the mouth? I made absolutely no general statement, but merely a specific statement about the motion sensor, which clearly did suffer at the very least from poor quality control (I have no idea why they changed vendors, but given that the previous sensor worked fine, and this one did not, the price is the obvious conjecture). Given that the iPhone is by far the biggest Apple profit center, and Apple is by far the biggest consumer products company on Earth, the lack of quality control is not acceptable. I am sure Tim Cook will agree with me, and I am surprised you do not.

• Reply 222 of 228

Apple sells more 5c's those most other companies sell of all their phones combined.

• Reply 223 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simon723 View Post

Apple sells more 5c's those most other companies sell of all their phones combined.

And that is relevant because?!

• Reply 224 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Why are you foaming at the mouth? I made absolutely no general statement, but merely a specific statement about the motion sensor, which clearly did suffer at the very least from poor quality control (I have no idea why they changed vendors, but given that the previous sensor worked fine, and this one did not, the price is the obvious conjecture). Given that the iPhone is by far the biggest Apple profit center, and Apple is by far the biggest consumer products company on Earth, the lack of quality control is not acceptable. I am sure Tim Cook will agree with me, and I am surprised you do not.

Interesting characterization there.... *foaming*? Really...

First, you used the motion sensor as just one example of how Apple "made things worse" with the new hardware.

Then you extrapolated (most probably errantly, as I pointed out) that it must have been due to them wanting to take the cheapest route possible and to cut costs (including the cost of testing). Which I pointed out would be extremely un-Apple of them to do.

Again you ignore the possibility that their existing vendor may not have been meeting Apple's high manufacturing standards, or may not have been able to sustain the increasing demand for production output. It's possible that particular vendor was less reliable than Apple is comfortable with. A HOST of potential reasons are possible, other than "cost cutting", which in my view is not remotely the "obvious conjecture". 

Again, as I pointed out, you went straight to the most cynical possible "conjecture" and basically declared Apple a "cost takes precedence over quality" sort of company. Which happens to be the exact opposite of what I've witnessed in my many years of doing business with them.

Finally, the new sensors "work just fine" too. Some (but not all) of them had not been calibrated correctly in the initial shipments of handsets. That has since been addressed. Again, no company is perfect. Considering how different the new hardware (and OS software) is from the previous generation, it's laudable how few problems there were.

Again, I'm not sure what your main point is here?

Wow. See? All that, and not one drop of "foam" required.

• Reply 225 of 228

That would be amazing! 5S has too narrow screen. I am amazed they forced 4:3 on iPad and used 16:9 aspect ratio on iPhones as I would ever watch a HD movie on it (Not even cinema aspect ratio). Maybe it will finally have 4:3 aspect ratio. What do you think?

• Reply 226 of 228
    cws wrote: »
    The New York Times is the most respected paper in the world -- not the Wall Street Journal.

What planet do you live on? The NY Times lost its cache a while ago... They are NOT the most respected and haven't been for quite some time... ESPECIALLY When it comes to tech!
  • Reply 227 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Badagliacco View Post

What planet do you live on? The NY Times lost its cache a while ago... They are NOT the most respected and haven't been for quite some time... ESPECIALLY When it comes to tech!

and you signed up to an APPLE rumors & news site just to say that?