iPhone 5c catches fire in student's pocket, causes second-degree burns [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    Yes. Phone was in her back pocket. She sat on it and and damaged it causing the battery to short.

The paper purposely removed that information to sensationalize the story.

Journalism is dead.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Gives new meaning to the term 'bun warmer'.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Could have been a defective battery. Lithium-ion batteries can expand.

Even Boing Dreamliners have had issues.

Ferraris too!

• Reply 24 of 105

I suggest to call Detective Dee

• Reply 25 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crowley wrote: »
    What lie?

Joke went over someone's head.

Still I'm amazed people still put their phones in their back pockets. Do people sit on their laptops? Why would you sit on your phone!?
  • Reply 26 of 105
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    This is why you don't put your damn phone in the back pocket. Why would anyone think its okay to SIT on your phone? I hate when people do this.
  • Reply 27 of 105

So now we know what the 'c' in 5c stands for..

char your ass

combustible

• Reply 28 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This is why you don't put your damn phone in the back pocket. Why would anyone think its okay to SIT on your phone? I hate when people do this.

My sister-in-law has an iPhone 5 and treats it like a friggen hockey puck.  Literally throws it onto tables, puts it on the floor where it can be stepped on, puts it on wet surfaces, and drops it constantly.  She has broken at least 6 smartphones in the past 4 years and still treats them like crap.  Sometimes I wish the thing taught her a lesson! (kidding)

• Reply 29 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well just as I thought.

Putting costly and fragile electronic devices in your back pocket and bloody well sitting on them, and shifting your weight on them, is NOT the way to take care of your device.

Not Apple's fault.

Don't sit on your devices, folks. This should be obvious, but a good chunk of the under-30 population of today is practically brain-dead.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SunGm View Post

Not the iPhone itself caused the fire:

Update: The handset was in the student's back pocket and made a "popping" noise when she sat down, reports USA Today. Fire officials tell the paper that they believe sitting on the phone cause it to "short out."

I knew.... nice try again...

This is exactly what I speculated.

It's clearly a user error that caused this problem. No phone, tablet, GPS, or laptop can withstand such abuse.

• Reply 31 of 105
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Where in the article did it say it was "crushed"?

It doesn’t need to.

The handset was in the student's back pocket and made a "popping" noise when she sat down

• Reply 32 of 105
    I smell a rat. Someone is intentionally generating bad news for Apple in an attempt to drive the stock price up.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

They didn't mention if the phone was in the butt pocket or a side pocket. So, if I suspect that she sat on the phone and caused a short, I would have no proof. I hope more info will come out so that we know what the cause was.

"The handset was in the student's back pocket and made a "popping" noise when she sat down"

"back pocket" would be what she sat down on it seems to me. It made a "popping" noise" when she damaged it by sitting on it, possibly not for the first time since she'd had the phone for a few months.

• Reply 34 of 105
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

My sister-in-law has an iPhone 5 and treats it like a friggen hockey puck.  Literally throws it onto tables, puts it on the floor where it can be stepped on, puts it on wet surfaces, and drops it constantly.  She has broken at least 6 smartphones in the past 4 years and still treats them like crap.  Sometimes I wish the thing taught her a lesson! (kidding)

Yeah, I've a buddy that does that, kills phones routinely and in the end it's a mercy since they're so beat up it's hard to look at them (it's amazing how they keep working with screens cracked all to hell....).

• Reply 35 of 105
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

People that actually pay for the phone themselves (on or off contract) don't do that generally.

• Reply 36 of 105

I like the last two lines from the Portland Press Herald article:

The iPhone, which was green and is now black, is useless. So are the pants, which Milligan agreed to replace.

“We went to Target and got a pair of yoga pants,” she said.

• Reply 37 of 105

She probably had jailbroken her iPhone then ran a program that went haywire, going full blast. The jailbroken iPhone couldn't turn itself off so it started burning.

• Reply 38 of 105

Ahh, no worries, it was just a "burner" phone.

• Reply 39 of 105
    May be it's a "feature" of the iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 105

Great, now every al-Qaeda wanna be hijacker will be buying iPhone 5c's now