iPhone 5c catches fire in student's pocket, causes second-degree burns [u]

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 105

    This gives a whole new meaning to 'Hot Pocket'!

  • Reply 42 of 105
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

     

    I like the last two lines from the Portland Press Herald article:




    Hopefully, there is no butt pocket on yoga pants.

  • Reply 43 of 105
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

      I don't think it matters if she kept it in a dumb place or not.  That only matters if we're talking about a fire while we've got it on us.  A phone can easily get the same trauma when on a surface if a crushing event happens, and it doesn't seem to require a "perfect storm" of events (though obviously we're not hearing stories like this or hers regularly by any stretch, so I'm not saying it's likely).  Back pocket placement isn't the issue.  That a phone getting crushed would ignite is.  I can easily imagine a cracked, non-functioning out of warranty phone getting tossed into a dumpster and a desk being dropped on top of it.  

     

    Ignition after the amount of force in sitting on it doesn't mean problem solved by not having it in your pocket.

  • Reply 44 of 105
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post



    My daughters' middle school solves this problem simply: All students turn their mobile phones into the office for the day.



    Quite a metamorphosis!

     

    Does a popping sound and smoke constitute a "fire"?  I know many people believe "where there's smoke there's fire", however, in the absence of flames or ignition of available fuels, I don't think "fire" is an appropriate description.  But I wasn't there.

     

    Sitting on one's smartphone is monumentally stupid--imagine shards of glass slicing through your pocket and into your flesh! Yet many people do put their phones in the back pocket. 

     

    This does not bode well for "wearable technology", IMO.

  • Reply 45 of 105
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Ah ok. He sat on it...

    Ah she's a she.

    On the original article, someone commented :

    [QUOTE]This poor child... now marked for life as the little girl who's pants caught on fire. This will never be forgotten.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 46 of 105
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    C for "catches fire"?
  • Reply 47 of 105
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

    As the number of people carrying flammable lithium-ion batteries around with them all the time increases, it is inevitable some will fail and overheat.  This isn't a systemic fail mode for Apple phones and occurs in Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones occasionally too.

  • Reply 48 of 105
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

    I don't think it matters if she kept it in a dumb place or not.

     

    Are you serious? A lit match shouldn’t ignite gas when thrown on it?

  • Reply 49 of 105

    It says she had it in her back pocket....I see girls, especially, doing this quite often because the front pockets are so small these days.

  • Reply 50 of 105
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

     

    This gives a whole new meaning to 'Hot Pocket'!


    Do'h yup. Hate those things.

  • Reply 51 of 105

    I feel bad for this girl, especially if she was fat or unpopular to start with.

    Now she will be known as the fat girl who broke her iPhone by sitting on it.

    And if that wasn't enough then she was rolling around on the ground with smoke billowing out of her ass.

     

    Just try living that down!

    Better call Saul…pain and suffering and ongoing emotional distress.

  • Reply 52 of 105
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

     

    I feel bad for this girl, especially if she was fat or unpopular to start with.

    Now she will be known as the fat girl who broke her iPhone by sitting on it.

    And if that wasn't enough then she was rolling around on the ground with smoke billowing out of her ass.

     

    Just try living that down!

    Better call Saul…pain and suffering and ongoing emotional distress.


    We had an incident at my high school many moons ago. A girl went to sit on the toilet and the porcelain cracked and smashed under her. She got a few lacerations and was fine in the end (no pun intended) but she never lived it down especially for her last 2 years at school. Kids at that age can be very cruel. 

  • Reply 53 of 105
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

    We had an incident at my high school many moons ago.

     

    There’s the intended pun.

     

    Kids at that age can be very cruel. 


     

    Also truthful. For example, it’s not really all that okay to be fat. So when you’re made fun of for it, you change. Worked wonders for me; I’ll never be fat again, now simply because I care enough to be healthy.

     

    Should’ve seen me back in the day. Spherical. Now with my shirt off you can see my heart beating.

  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

     

    Sitting on one's smartphone is monumentally stupid--imagine shards of glass slicing through your pocket and into your flesh! Yet many people do put their phones in the back pocket. 


     

    I was intending to speak generally, and not exclusively about this one incident. Second degree burns are serious, and I acknowledge what others here have said: the kid is likely to experience additional grief from the teasing of other schoolchildren. She is not alone in enduring such teasing, and I offer my sympathies.  It's as tough to be a kid today as it ever was.

  • Reply 55 of 105
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

    I can see the temptation of a rear pocket: no keys or other metal objects to scratch up the phone's screen in an unused back pocket.

     

    With a phone heavy enough to always be noticed it's still a gamble, but with the more recent lighter ones it's only a matter of time..

  • Reply 56 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    I wonder which way the phone was positioned - screen toward her body or back of case toward her body. It could have also been a situation which developed over time from constant misuse and the final ignition occurred upon sitting. I've noticed my iPhone 5 gets really warm in my front jeans pocket if there is no air circulation such as when I was taking a nap and the phone was trapped between my body and the sofa. When I awoke and checked the time on the phone it was quite warm, and there were no apps really running at the time. In general use though, at least the iPhone 5/5s have better heat dissipation than the 5c because of their aluminum cases. 

  • Reply 57 of 105
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,848member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

     

     

    People that actually pay for the phone themselves (on or off contract) don't do that generally.


     

    I work in a 2 school districts and I see kids doing this constantly...that and dropping their phones. But to your point, they probably didn't buy the phone, their parents did. 

  • Reply 58 of 105
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    She had probably been sitting on it the past two months. Duh!
  • Reply 59 of 105
    I believe the girl sat on the phone, it broke and internals electrified parts came in contact and get on fire. For this, the iPhones should be made more flexible.

    Smartphones don’t have to be flat. They don’t have to be rigid either. LG and Samsung are offering 2 phones that goes in this direction.

    Reports says Apple is copying Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phablette, it could also copy LG G Flex flexible smartphone.

    Doing so, Apple would make an "evolution" of the flexible phone.

    It could save butt.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

     

    As the number of people carrying flammable lithium-ion batteries around with them all the time increases, it is inevitable some will fail and overheat.  This isn't a systemic fail mode for Apple phones and occurs in Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones occasionally too.


     

    I agree. My palm pre got hot all the time. Would have to take the battery out until it cooled. My Microsoft Bluetooth mouse at work, with Lithium Ion batteries, fell to the floor once. Five minutes later, it, too, was getting warm/hot to touch. So it isn't even just phones, it is anything with Lithium Ion (and I suspect, other types of) batteries.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

     

      I don't think it matters if she kept it in a dumb place or not.  That only matters if we're talking about a fire while we've got it on us.  A phone can easily get the same trauma when on a surface if a crushing event happens, and it doesn't seem to require a "perfect storm" of events (though obviously we're not hearing stories like this or hers regularly by any stretch, so I'm not saying it's likely).  Back pocket placement isn't the issue.  That a phone getting crushed would ignite is.  I can easily imagine a cracked, non-functioning out of warranty phone getting tossed into a dumpster and a desk being dropped on top of it.  

     

    Ignition after the amount of force in sitting on it doesn't mean problem solved by not having it in your pocket.


     

    Well, you aren't supposed to put batteries in the trash in the past few states I have lived in. They are supposed to be "recycled" and "disposed of properly" - But the real issue is that they are hazardous waste, with the ability to ignite. These are energy sources, and that energy must go somewhere if it isn't properly contained/restrained. Hence all the warning labels.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.