Samsung wants Olympians to hide the Apple logo on their iPhones during opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    Ha!

I can just visualize the opening parade of athletes...

Thousands of athletes having simultaneous [Janet Jackson] costume malfunctions...

Come to think of it, the Apple Logo is kinda' shaped like a...
  • Reply 62 of 151
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thousands of athletes having simultaneous [Janet Jackson] costume malfunctions...

Come to think of it, the Apple Logo is kinda' shaped like a...

Gives new meaning to the phrase, “How do you like them apples”!

• Reply 63 of 151
    This would be something for the Olympic Committee to immediately shut down.
  • Reply 64 of 151
    Two things. One. It doesn't seem to be the case that Samsung is attempting to enforce any kind of ban. It's more of a soft bribe. Two. All competitors should spread the word, refuse the Galaxy Notes and try to get as many iPhones on display during the opening ceremony as possible. That would be sweeeeeeeeet!
  • Reply 65 of 151
    And three. Why aren't all non-Samsung phones included in this 'cover-up'? Seems that there's only one thing that scares Samsung - Apple! Go figure
  • Reply 66 of 151
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mistercow wrote: »
    This is pretty much a standard when a company is a sponsor.   TV shows do it all the time.  Soda cans have the labels facing away from the camera if a rival manufacturer is a sponsor of the show/network.

If a company is a sponser then no rivals products can be in the show. If it's just ad time bought, no such rules.

There was a time when paid product placement wasn't allowed in TV shows. Nor could the show have the product visible without the companies okay. It was too expensive in many cases to make fake products so they just hid the trademarks and hoped that kept the companies happy
  • Reply 67 of 151
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    tikiman wrote: »
    Oh yes, because when people see a tall, thin phone with the middle logo covered, no one EVER thinks that it's an iPhone! When I notice products with covered logos in TV shows,etc. it, frankly, raises my awareness. It doesn't lower it.

• Reply 68 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Mac Rumors reports "All accredited competitors, coaches, trainers and officials are required to abide by Rule 40 of the Olympic Charter, preventing athletes from mentioning any non-Olympic sponsor companies. Athletes breaking Rule 40 can be punished with "removal of accreditation and financial penalties" or even total disqualification."

If in fact, Rule 40 is the regulation being used to enforce the Apple logo ban, I would doubt any credible Olympian who might possibly end up on the podium will dare defy this directive. Who'd want to risk disqualification for the sake of making a point?

Using a device with a visible logo on it is NOT the same as "mentioning" a non-sponsor.

Think about it. If that rule is applied to justify this "hide the Apple logo" nonsense, then it must be applied to any and all visible logos of non-sponsor brands. Every. Single. One.  

And not just for "devices". Clothing, shoes, hats, computers, phones, bags, wallets, purses, sunglasses, keys, personal hygiene products (put tape over the logo on that hairbrush!!! They're not a sponsor!!), everything and anything you might be seen with. Look around you. Logos are everywhere on almost anything you interact with in daily life. 

What a feckin' nightmare imposing this "cover the logo" requirement on the olympic participants.......

• Reply 69 of 151
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    This is pretty much a standard when a company is a sponsor.   TV shows do it all the time.  Soda cans have the labels facing away from the camera if a rival manufacturer is a sponsor of the show/network.

They are not sponsoring the athletes, only the venue therefore the athletes should tell Samsung to pound sand. I know this event is being held in Russia when an individual's liberties are not high on the priority list but since this is an international event the venue should be considered neutral territory like an embassy and therefore the participants should have the same freedoms afforded in their home country.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Mac Rumors reports "All accredited competitors, coaches, trainers and officials are required to abide by Rule 40 of the Olympic Charter, preventing athletes from mentioning any non-Olympic sponsor companies. Athletes breaking Rule 40 can be punished with "removal of accreditation and financial penalties" or even total disqualification."

If in fact, Rule 40 is the regulation being used to enforce the Apple logo ban, I would doubt any credible Olympian who might possibly end up on the podium will dare defy this directive. Who'd want to risk disqualification for the sake of making a point?

In this Olympics, it just might be worth it. As if the bad publicity from holding this event in gay hating Russia isn't bad enough press. 

• Reply 71 of 151
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    kennmsr wrote: »

They are not sponsoring the athletes, only the venue
    The athletes won't win much gold if they can't use the venue.
  • Reply 72 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Reminds me of the 2010 Olympics Canadian Hockey team logo saga. We couldn't use a national logo on our olympic hockey jerseys. LOL

It was stupid.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2009/08/17/hockey_canada_unveils_olympic_jerseys.html

yeah can't use the national symbol, but oh hey, the big Nike Swoosh over the breast is JUST fine!

What a transparent, mercenary, money-grubbing outfit the IOC has become, eh.....?

• Reply 73 of 151

Did a little check and found that Samsung Galaxy III was the official phone of the London games!

• Reply 74 of 151
    felix01 wrote: »

Using a device with a visible logo on it is NOT the same as "mentioning" a non-sponsor.

Think about it. If that rule is applied to justify this "hide the Apple logo" nonsense, then it must be applied to any and all visible logos of non-sponsor brands. Every. Single. One.  

And not just for "devices". Clothing, shoes, hats, computers, phones, bags, wallets, purses, sunglasses, keys, personal hygiene products (put tape over the logo on that hairbrush!!! They're not a sponsor!!), everything and anything you might be seen with. Look around you. Logos are everywhere on almost anything you interact with in daily life. 

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">What a feckin' nightmare imposing this "cover the logo" requirement on the olympic participants.......</span>

"(put tape over the logo on that hairbrush!!! They're not a sponsor!!)"

What if the Tape Manufacturer is not a sponsor???

God forbid there should be any skywriting or graffiti at the Olympics!
  • Reply 75 of 151
    charlituna wrote: »
    tikiman wrote: »
    Oh yes, because when people see a tall, thin phone with the middle logo covered, no one EVER thinks that it's an iPhone! When I notice products with covered logos in TV shows,etc. it, frankly, raises my awareness. It doesn't lower it.

Now, That's Jazz...
  • Reply 76 of 151
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Lately I'm seeing all sorts of Tab 3 giveaways. Apparently they didn't sell well over the holidays... or even now. (No surprise really.)

• Reply 77 of 151
    adonissmu wrote: »

In this Olympics, it just might be worth it. As if the bad publicity from holding this event in gay hating Russia isn't bad enough press. 

Yeah... This year's Olympics are really going to the dogs...
  • Reply 78 of 151
    just_me wrote: »
    DED using google translate :lol:

Why not use SIRI :smokey:

This site is entirely supported by Google Ads.
  • Reply 79 of 151
    I suspect that a lot of Olympic Athletes will use an iPhone 5S because of the camera's 120fps slo-mo capability -- an ideal capability for athletic events (and training).
  • Reply 80 of 151

Nope: read the article more closely. It is not about "Rule 40." It's about getting a FREE Galaxy Note 3 in your gift bag.