Samsung wants Olympians to hide the Apple logo on their iPhones during opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    And three. Why aren't all non-Samsung phones included in this 'cover-up'? Seems that there's only one thing that scares Samsung - Apple! Go figure

The athletes are not using iPhones. They are all Samsung phones. Everyone is misreading the user-agent string. /s
  • Reply 82 of 151
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Samsung is a very sick company. I hope Apple is able to move all part sourcing from it in the next 2-3 years

I also can't wait for Apple to put a bullet in Samsung's head when it finally releases a 5" phone
  • Reply 83 of 151
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Mac Rumors reports "All accredited competitors, coaches, trainers and officials are required to abide by Rule 40 of the Olympic Charter, preventing athletes from mentioning any non-Olympic sponsor companies. Athletes breaking Rule 40 can be punished with "removal of accreditation and financial penalties" or even total disqualification."

If in fact, Rule 40 is the regulation being used to enforce the Apple logo ban, I would doubt any credible Olympian who might possibly end up on the podium will dare defy this directive. Who'd want to risk disqualification for the sake of making a point?

I still think that Samsung is behind it.

• Reply 84 of 151
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung is giving Winter Olympic Games athletes a free Galaxy Note 3

Hellloooo eBay!

• Reply 85 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

Surprise surprise.  Samsung does something shady?  Come on, it can't be so, LOL.

I recall during the London Olympics that a pub that had the name "Olympic" had to change its name.

The Olympics do this all the time.  Sick, but reality.

Once upon a time they were for amateur athletes.  Now so much money is poured into them for the sake of image or medals or whatever that they are just a big business like everything else.

• Reply 86 of 151
    red oak wrote: »
    Samsung is a very sick company. I hope Apple is able to move all part sourcing from it in the next 2-3 years

I also can't wait for Apple to put a bullet in Samsung's head when it finally releases a 5" phone

5" phone... 5" phone?

Screw a 5" phone"

This little beauty has everything you need -- and is great for crowded venues like the Olympics!

Simply slip it into your purse or pocket, and you're good to go...
  • Reply 87 of 151
    Bite me Samsung. The day glow tape suggestion is the best. I'd also be giving my gift back with a big "no thank you" and take my iphone to the ceremony.
  • Reply 88 of 151
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

If that rule is applied to justify this "hide the Apple logo" nonsense, then it must be applied to any and all visible logos of non-sponsor brands. Every. Single. One.  

Apple seems to always get singled out, though.

• Reply 89 of 151
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The athletes won't win much gold if they can't use the venue.

Because the only Olympic venue on Earth is in Sochi¡

Never mind how unsafe most of the athletes consider it.

• Reply 90 of 151
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Wow!
    If this is true, it is a clear case of Samsung desperation.
  • Reply 91 of 151
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Because the only Olympic venue on Earth is in Sochi¡

Never mind how unsafe most of the athletes consider it.
    In 2014 Sochi is the only venue. Sarcasm won't change that.
  • Reply 92 of 151

In 2014 Sochi is the only venue.

Yep, that’s certainly the point being made, much less a correct statement anyway.

Sarcasm won't change that.

Then again, Samsung never was known for security. Makes sense that they’re sponsoring in Sochi.

• Reply 93 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Is that an iPhone?  According to Apple, it's impossible to tell.

• Reply 94 of 151
    Yep, that’s certainly the point being made, much less a correct statement anyway.
    I have no idea what you're saying, why don't you try talking straight for once?

What other Olympics are happening in 2014 that I don't know about?
  • Reply 95 of 151

I have no idea what you're saying, why don't you try talking straight for once?

Why not just try reading it instead?

• Reply 96 of 151
    If you're going to pull that nonsense then I'd rather just ignore you, thanks.

My reading comprehension is fine, but your ability to present a clear and cogent argument, or indeed any kind of recognisable point, is severely lacking.
  • Reply 97 of 151

If youre going to pull that nonsense then I'd rather just ignore you, thanks. My reading comprehension is fine, but your ability to present a clear and cogent argument, or indeed any kind of recognisable point, is severely lacking.

‘Kay. Later.

• Reply 98 of 151
    mistercow wrote: »
    Is that an iPhone?  According to Apple, it's impossible to tell.

I thought it was, actually. Now that you point it out, I see that it is not. (Not being sarcastic here). Those bastards...
  • Reply 99 of 151
    Perhaps they should have a recycle bin setup, or many of them, for the athletes to dump their Samsungs so they can use their iPhones without a piece of tape LOL.
  • Reply 100 of 151
    Take the Galaxy Note 3 and do what you want. Or, better yet tell Samsung to stick the Note where the sun don't shine in Stochi.