Samsung wants Olympians to hide the Apple logo on their iPhones during opening ceremonies

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo if given a Note 3 they should used it over the iphone.  The Note 3 record 4K videos and has a 13mp camera.

It's amazing how many people don't realize that after 10mp (and maybe even way before), the more important factors leading to better quality photos are the quality of the JPG compressing software and the quality of lens. That is, unless you can save your photos as RAW. 

• Reply 142 of 151

While Samsung is not above this kind of chicanery, this alleged restraint has already been denied by the IOC.

• Reply 143 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Doubt it. When the Olympics were in Vancouver, Visa was a sponsor. You couldn't use any other credit card to buy tickets to events. Pissed me off as my MC has a higher limit since I use it more which meant I could only try to get tickets for a couple events before I maxed out.

If memory serves, you couldn't even use debit cards either in some situations.

• Reply 144 of 151
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    cintos wrote: »
    Perhaps Samsung understands the disconnect between the metrics of products shipped vs those in actual daily use. Otherwise, they should be expecting that a late majority of all phones in use at the Olympics would be theirs anyway... -

Technically (and I mean this in the most eye-rollingly sarcastic manner) if you are competing, working or volunteering for the Olympics, you are required to wear only Olympic-sanctioned gear, this goes for everything from mittens to cars, to restaurants seen in. In reality, the official apparel sponsor will run out of sizes that fit, or in the case of 2010, not supply essential things like gloves/mittens or shoes/boots. As far as smartphone devices go, the Samsung people likely paid for a fleet of the most expensive cars possible again. So they're probably not going to be happy if they see iPhone's in the opening/closing ceremonies. The rest of the events they clearly can't be everywhere. The worst that will happen if you're caught using the iPhone is what? Some verbal abuse. You're not going to have your iPhone confiscated at the security checkpoints.

I mean, you can't seriously expect athletes to eat at McDonalds for a month. You can no more seriously expect someone to switch to a new phone device and have time to learn it. I expect most people who got one, likely use it as an additional device (you're not going to find some place to charge a phone while at a venue) should their main device's battery run low.
    If memory serves, you couldn't even use debit cards either in some situations.
    This has more to do with US-style debit cards only function as "Cash Advance on a Credit Card" everywhere outside the US. As for VISA only, that only applied to the sponsors (eg McDonalds) inside venues. If you went outside the security area you could have used any card you want at any store, including the official sponsor's regular stores.
  • Reply 145 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

While Samsung is not above this kind of chicanery, this alleged restraint has already been denied by the IOC.

This has been confirmed.

Now, how many people here will retract their invectives?

• Reply 146 of 151
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

This has been confirmed. Now, how many people here will retract their invectives?

Which? Against Samsung or against against Samsung?

• Reply 147 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I see a lot of iPhones and a many of the hideously large Notes. It's sad Sammy had to give them away for use.
  • Reply 148 of 151

I was surprised by how few athletes actually carried cameras while walking in; they popped out a variety of devices once they sat.

We watched the opening ceremony live on NHK (Japan's national broadcaster) albeit with crappy announcers talking over most of it; it started at about 1:15am and went the full three hours.  There was a replay from about 9:00am so people could watch it who had not stayed up.

Another corporation, NBC, made the call to not carry the opening live in the US.

• Reply 149 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This little beauty has everything you need -- and is great for crowded venues like the Olympics!

So that was YOU sitting in front of me at the theater!

• Reply 150 of 151
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Or everyone in the country defines, collectively, what is and is not customary/permissible for the institutions and individuals therein. 

What is the acceptable, cultural norm for you and me might not be for them, and vice-versa.

What we might find completely rude behaviour by the average Chinese (and I've noticed a lot of Westerners find their attitude rather dismissive and rough - and perhaps it's a legitimate reaction to the way *we* are), they might find completely natural. It doesn't immediately imply a value judgment, although that would be the natural (though incorrect) assumption. 
    Under this definition there would be no such thing as racism would there? Just each persons definition of what is acceptable cultural norms?
  • Reply 151 of 151
    Samsung Have Poor Quality Phones No Wonder Athletes Keep Using Their iPhones A Better Quality Phone