Samsung's Galaxy S5 said to ship with swipe-style fingerprint sensor in home button

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    crowley wrote: »
    I hope iOS8 allows some opening up of TouchID to third party apps. Would be great to unlock 1Password with TouchID, or put an extra authentication on my work email.

Opening it to 3rd party apps, probably won't happen.

What they'll probably do instead is expand it into the Keychain OS service. Any app that makes use of Keychain would indirectly utilize Touch ID authentication.

That is indeed what Federighi & Ive say:

Link provided by Rogifan:
    http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/155086-apples-jonathan-ive-and-craig-federighi-the-complete-interview
    Federighi: Not to mention literally driving custom security processors into the silicon of our chip.

Ive: We did. I mean, I honestly understood only part of this. There are so many problems that need to be solved to enable this one big idea. This just is remarkable when you explain it—because I can’t. [LAUGHTER]

Federighi: Well, I mean, just to the broad point that you decide you want to do something like, “wouldn’t it be great if you could use your finger to unlock your phone or to make a purchase?” It sounds like a simple idea. But how many places could that become a bad idea because you failed to execute on it? We thought, “Well, one place where that could be a bad idea is somebody who writes a malicious app, somebody who breaks into your phone, starts capturing your fingerprint. What are they doing with that? Can they reuse that in some other location? Can they use it to spoof their way into other people’s phones?”

Well, that would be worse than never having done the feature at all if you did those things, right? And so you take that all the way to that spectrum, and we said, “My gosh, we’re going to have to build in our silicon a little island, a little enclave that’s walled off so that literally the main processor—no matter if you took ownership of the whole device and ran whatever code you wanted on the main processor—could not get that fingerprint out of there. Literally, the physical lines of communication in and out of the chip would not permit that ever to escape. It was something we considered fundamental to solving the overall problem.

Ive: When developing silicon, I think it’s probably the longest schedule that we work with. So you get to sense then if something as fundamental as that was architected into the process for the 5S, how long we have been working on this.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Opening it to 3rd party apps, probably won't happen.

What they'll probably do instead is expand it into the Keychain OS service. Any app that makes use of Keychain would indirectly utilize Touch ID authentication.

Sure, that's what I meant, some system-wide authentication for all apps using the Keychain, that uses TouchID to validate.

• Reply 23 of 103
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post

Ok, now I want to see all those people who were against a fingerprint scanner from Apple chiming in on how bad an idea it is for Android phones.  Where are all those "I don't trust Apple with my fingerprint" people now?  Are you more trusting of Samsung, a Korean company run by a convict?

Actually all the previous implementations of finger print scanning on mobile devices (including Samsung phones) have been cases of frustration not convenience for most users.  The sensors were extremely fragile and after so much use would just start throwing out false positives. This was one area Apple had to solve themselves after buying Authentec.

So, those Android folks weren't necessarily wrong about it, it's just they're experience with the tech was less than stellar. But that's par for the course with new tech on devices that just have features shoved on to them.

• Reply 24 of 103
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Rather incredible that Samsung admits their feature won’t be as good as Apple’s but they grew it in anyway, just because.

I can’t wait for the side-by-side videos of Samsung users and iPhone users authenticating their devices with fingerprint technology.

• Reply 25 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So that's the type of websites you frequent. :D

Old chickens make the best soup. :lol:
  • Reply 26 of 103
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    As an iPhone 5s user I have to say that the fingerprint sensor works superbly. I didn't set up the fingerprint option until a few days after I received the phone (my first iPhone) and used the standard password system but once I did set it up I came to appreciate the elegance of the solution. Press the home button to wake. Keep the thumb on the button for a second or two and presto it unlocks. Simple, intuitive, and effective. Classic Apple engineering.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    philboogie wrote: »
    Would be fun if it only were to accept your middle finger.

Samsung is too busy giving consumers, competitors and courts the middle finger.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have used the swipe finger print censor on the Motorola Atrix product and it suck, there was times which it took up to 10 swipe before it actually recorded the swipe correctly and unlocked the phone. I am not sure if it was 100% an issue with the swipe technology or the fact that Android was spending too much time doing background task to notice I was trying to unlock the phone. This is the issue with Android some time it is busy doing things while you trying to do something else with the phone. I also attempted to use the finger print swipe technology on a HP laptop and had a similar experience, but again, as we all know Windows can get lost in itself doing background task.

Since Apple integrated their solution into the processors, you do not have to worry about the OS doing background task and not paying attention to you logging in. I suspect that Samsung will implement it the say way Motorola did and as the PC labtop guy did and it will not work well.

• Reply 29 of 103
    And I for cat food. Considering my avatar is normally a picture of one, that's some serious Google Analytics going on when I don't use Ghostery... :smokey:

This is the reason that I am very concerned about Google especially given their demonstrated apathy toward human rights and willingness to cooperate with amoral governments.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    connieconnie Posts: 101member

I guess 80% of smart phone users are losers then.

• Reply 31 of 103
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    No Connie. 50% of users focus on cheap garbage and just don't realize how great they can have it!! 20% just hate Apple for being a large and powerful company. The other 10% work for google or samdung. LOL.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    richl wrote: »
    I guess I can't remember the last time I saw an Apple ad on a tech site (or any site other than apple,com for that matter). That's why I found it odd.

All I get on AI is ads for older women dating websites. :wow:

Post some links please... Please! :D
  • Reply 33 of 103
    I guess I can't remember the last time I saw an Apple ad on a tech site (or any site other than apple,com for that matter). That's why I found it odd.

• Reply 34 of 103
    philboogie wrote: »

1000  700
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Ah, Mr. Applebaum, coming to the rescue. Especially funny since it's coming from you.
  • Reply 36 of 103

This shows that Apple buying up AuthenTec was a smart move. They were the only company that offered the TouchID style fingerprint sensor that actually worked well.  Apple basically has a temporary monopoly on this technology and Samsung is forced to pursue second rate alternatives. It will take Samsung engineers a few more years to improve it. By that time, Apple will offer something even better than a fingerprint reader.

• Reply 37 of 103

This is probably going to end up the same way as the Galaxy Gear. I have still yet to see anyone wearing one of those in the real world.

• Reply 38 of 103
    Originally Posted by Connie View Post

I guess 80% of smart phone users are losers then.

80% of smartphone users own iPhones. You’re not a user if the device sits in a drawer for its entire lifetime.

Get it through your heads; “marketshare” ? use share.

• Reply 39 of 103
    This thing will need to work flawlessly, lest the press will come out in droves to ridicule it. If this is anything like those print readers on those $200 LaCie drives, I can write Samsung's obituary now.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Here's an interesting read....

[QUOTE][SIZE=4][B]How big a thing could Touch ID mobile payment be? China alone hit $1.6 trillion last year[/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

http://************/2014/02/18/how-big-a-thing-could-touch-id-mobile-payment-be-china-hit-1-6-trillion-last-year/

Seems like there might be an incentive to bring TouchID to lower-priced [all?] iDevices such as the iPhone 5C and iPad Mini (and whatever)

This may be a [I]bet the farm[/I] moment... where Apple, if supply constraints allow, eats the $25 (or so) to include TouchID in all iDevices.