Samsung's Galaxy S5 said to ship with swipe-style fingerprint sensor in home button

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    Swiping your thumb across the device seems like it'll be less reliable than Touch ID. I see a few issues with it forthcoming.

I suspect Samsung agrees with you but they'll never admit it.

waybacmac wrote: »
    This might be a good chance for me to share a tip on how to improve the accuracy of Touch-ID by "overtraining" the sensor. This is better explained at the Gibson Research Corporation website https://www.grc.com/intro.htm operated by Steve Gibson of the Security Now podcast, part of Leo Laport's TWiT network. Specifically, you want episode #440, Listener Feedback #182, of 28 Jan 14 (https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm). 

Just so no one gets any wrong ideas, this is not an advertisement and I have no connection to the TWiT network other than being a regular listener of their podcasts.

I haven't been to Gibson's site in a decade.

ytseman3 wrote: »
    Ok, now I want to see all those people who were against a fingerprint scanner from Apple chiming in on how bad an idea it is for Android phones.  Where are all those "I don't trust Apple with my fingerprint" people now?  Are you more trusting of Samsung, a Korean company run by a convict?

I wasn't against the idea but based on the current tech I was cautious about the speed, accuracy and convenience that could be had from a fingerprint scanner over inputting a simple 4-digit PIN. If Samsung is still using a swipe method I have doubts it will be even close to Apple's solution, not to mention other potential issues like where and how the data will stored on the device and if you can replace the sensor in the S5 to override the security.

larrya wrote: »
    I am confused by Samsung's apparent surprise over Touch ID. Didn't we all figure out at least a year ago that Apple didn't buy Authentec for nothing, and deduce from rumors that the reader would be in the home button?

It's hard to say. A lot of their acquisitions take years to develop. I surely didn't think Touch ID would work as brilliantly as it did despite knowing that Apple wouldn't have released it if worked poorly.

crowley wrote: »
    Sure, that's what I meant, some system-wide authentication for all apps using the Keychain, that uses TouchID to validate.

This is definitely doable but I think there is plenty of work involved to so the OS knows what app is open and which screen is displayed so it can pull the proper passcode from it's secure DB once you authentic with Touch ID again.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Remember when Fandroids said 64 bit was a gimmick?

Remember when Fandroids said Fingerprint was a gimmick and a privacy breach?

losers.

Remember when apple fanboys said that 3.5" was the perfect size?

Remember when apple fanboys said the notification center was useless?

Remember when apple fanboys said 3rd party multitasking was useless?

There's hypocrisy on both sides.

• Reply 43 of 103
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I haven't been to Gibson's site in a decade.

Neither has Gibson; have you seen the layout? That is soooo 1994
  • Reply 44 of 103
    "Fingerprint is necessary for a star model, because Apple's iPhone 5S and HTC's One Max have fingerprint, S5 the star model can't lack the function even the solution (area type same as iPhone 5S's provided by Validity) is not as mature as iPhone 5S's."

--Ming-Chi Kuo, AppleInsider's favorite analyst

This is exactly how Samsung works. "They have it, so we gotta add it to our feature checklist."
  • Reply 45 of 103
    philboogie wrote: »
    Neither has Gibson; have you seen the layout? That is soooo 1994

OMG! It hasn't changed!!!
  • Reply 46 of 103
    solipsismx wrote: »
    crowley wrote: »
    Sure, that's what I meant, some system-wide authentication for all apps using the Keychain, that uses TouchID to validate.

This is definitely doable but I think there is plenty of work involved to so the OS knows what app is open and which screen is displayed so it can pull the proper passcode from it's secure DB once you authentic with Touch ID again.

I think that using TouchID for iTunes Store purchases is the test bed and proof of concept for Online Payments.

Apple can monitor, control and observe both sides of the transaction and mitigate any problems or deficiencies. After 6-12 months of refinement, Apple could expand the TouchID service as you note...

And, Apple could have a proven, secure purchasing solution for merchants in place -- using the iTunes Store as the transaction processor and credit provider/guarantor.

Before too long, the checkout clerk will ask something like: "Would you like a BMW with your fries?"
  • Reply 47 of 103
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    mistercow wrote: »

Don't remember any of them as the "consensus"/majority thinking.

Watch the media fawn over Sammy's "innovation" while chiding Apple on its "gimmick."
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Indeed I agree.  There is just more hypocrisy on the Android side.  And it's not just the rabid fanbois - it's the media as well.  Look at every time apple releases a new product or feature.  They rail on it or say it's just a big iPod or whatever.  Bottom line is Apple thinks its innovations completely through and is not just responding to nor even overly caring about what others do.  That is why companies, for the most part, follow Apple's lead, with Samsung being the most blatant in that regard.

• Reply 49 of 103

My Copycat Sensor just started its piercing wail!

• Reply 50 of 103

Quote:

The sensor itself works in a swipe manner, which means that you would need to swipe the entire pad of your finger, from base to tip, across the home key to register your fingerprint properly. Also, you would need to keep your finger flat against the home key and swipe at a moderate speed or else it won’t recognise your fingerprint.

Here's the source article that describes how Samsung's print reader will supposedly work. Maybe it's just me, but how's this any different than any number of other biometric sensors that have been installed with laptop computers over the past decade? Difference here is that Samsung plans a swipe sensor on a one-handed mobile device. At least HTC tried to address the ergonomic awkwardness of this by installing the sensor on the back of the phone.  Samsung just seems to be copying Apple by integrating the sensor into the home button, but not thinking through the ergonomic issues of trying to push and swipe the button in one motion.

The brilliance of TouchID is that it works using the same motion that you would normally use to push the home button. Just leave your finger on the button for a second longer, and the phone unlocks and switches on. Because it's more convenient than just a passcode, more people will keep their phones secured.  It's certainly not perfect (I have had to retrain the TouchID sensor a couple of times when it started giving me more read errors), but still far superior to the other biometric inputs that I've used over the years.

But, lest we accuse Samsung of just copying everybody, there IS some innovation in the offing ...

Quote:

We forgot to mention, the Galaxy S5 will show real-time image of your fingerprint on the display as you swipe your finger over the sensor.

Yeah, when unlocking my phone, I just pine away and curse at the ghost of Steve Jobs that Apple does not let me look at my fingerprint on-screen!

• Reply 51 of 103
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Oh my, I'm so happy and excited about these news.

I sense so much fail.

I can't wait for the unveiling so I can troll on android fan boards.

Here is how Samsung describes it :

The sensor itself works in a swipe manner, which means that you would need to swipe the entire pad of your finger, from base to tip, across the home key to register your fingerprint properly. Also, you would need to keep your finger flat against the home key and swipe at a moderate speed or else it won’t recognise your fingerprint.

So basically, it won't work if you are holding the phone and putting your finger sideways.

• Reply 52 of 103
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Also this :

We forgot to mention, the Galaxy S5 will show real-time image of your fingerprint on the display as you swipe your finger over the sensor.

How ostentatious. They don't even know how to make something invisible. I can't wait for the quick toggle in the notification pane to disable the scanner!

Christmas is coming!

• Reply 53 of 103
    richl wrote: »
    All I get on AI is ads for older women dating websites. :wow:

LOL. You know how advertising networks track you, right? ;)

http://www.itworld.com/it-management/354803/whose-tracking-you-across-web-even-ad-industry-don-t-know
  • Reply 54 of 103
    clemynx wrote: »
    Here is how Samsung describes it :

"...from base to tip..."

Sounds nasty ;)
  • Reply 55 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Also this :

How ostentatious. They don't even know how to make something invisible. I can't wait for the quick toggle in the notification pane to disable the scanner!

Christmas is coming!

Are you serious?! If so, it indicates it's going to be a flashy but useless feature.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    sog35 wrote: »
    Remember when Fandroids said 64 bit was a gimmick?
    Remember when Fandroids said Fingerprint was a gimmick and a privacy breach?

losers.

I could not tell what the official talking points were from the Fandroids: wasn't Android already 64-bit or was 64-bit useless for smartphones, or was Apple's 64-bit fake? Or, was it real 64-bit and awesome because "Samsung made the A7"? I mean, I wish they would agree on one anti-Apple position, so I wouldn't have to play wack-a-mole with all these disposable arguments.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I mean, I wish they would agree on one anti-Apple position, so I wouldn't have to play wack-a-mole with all these disposable arguments.

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

• Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Opening it to 3rd party apps, probably won't happen.

What they'll probably do instead is expand it into the Keychain OS service. Any app that makes use of Keychain would indirectly utilize Touch ID authentication.

I hope they open up Keychain a bit more.  I think iCloud Keychain is both tremendous and useless.

I signed up for a Kickstarter account, and given this weekends news I fortunately had Safari create a password for me.  It works great, until you download the Kickstarter app and can't log into it, because you don't know the password.

Had the same problem with my Nest thermostat and their app this weekend.

If they can allow authorized apps to see the passwords in iCloud Keychain, it will be a much more useful feature.

• Reply 59 of 103
    ronmg wrote: »
    No Connie. 50% of users focus on cheap garbage and just don't realize how great they can have it!! 20% just hate Apple for being a large and powerful company. The other 10% work for google or samdung. LOL.

My sister in law has just got hooked on Candy Crush Saga as she has been playing it on her daughters iPhone who is in hospital having a bone marrow transplant. I said to her you can put that on your phone, a Galaxy something or other that she has only ever used as a feature phone. It is less than a year old but runs Android 2.3. I spent about 10 minutes or so setting up a Google account for her only to find that Candy Crush isn't in the particular App Store on her phone. She also wanted Facebook putting on so I tried downloading it over her 3G connection as she does not have wifi at home. After about 6 attempts which timed out every time, I gave up. This is my only experience of using Android 2.3 and hopefully my last. I only have an iPhone 4 and previously an iPhone 3GS but the experience on both is light years apart from using her Galaxy phone.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

My sister in law has just got hooked on Candy Crush Saga as she has been playing it on her daughters iPhone who is in hospital having a bone marrow transplant. I said to her you can put that on your phone, a Galaxy something or other that she has only ever used as a feature phone. It is less than a year old but runs Android 2.3. I spent about 10 minutes or so setting up a Google account for her only to find that Candy Crush isn't in the particular App Store on her phone. She also wanted Facebook putting on so I tried downloading it over her 3G connection as she does not have wifi at home. After about 6 attempts which timed out every time, I gave up. This is my only experience of using Android 2.3 and hopefully my last. I only have an iPhone 4 and previously an iPhone 3GS but the experience on both is light years apart from using her Galaxy phone.

She doesn't have a Galaxy phone if she doesn't have the Google Play Store on board.  Samsung makes a lot of junk, especially outside its key Galaxy brand, so I'm not surprised by the experience.