Samsung's Galaxy S5 said to ship with swipe-style fingerprint sensor in home button

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Would that count as a smartphone in today's market, or only in a historical sense?

That was why I stated "used to be", the definition has become blurred over the last few years.

• Reply 102 of 103
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I made a similar argument jut last week against the original iPhone with iOS 1.0 installed.
    Does cell phone include any device that can be used as a phone on the cellular/MNO network, or only those with the proper HW for making calls on the MNO's dedicated cellular network with QoS, and not simply as a VoIP call? BTW, this gets more tricky in a few years when even MNOs will be moving their calls to VoIP with QoS.

Personally, I think definitions should change and I have no problem with people creating their own definitions… providing they at least try to be crystal clear about the parameters in which they create those definitions. Case in point, every standards organization.

Over time, perhaps that's ok. But I'm really talking about these different research entities in the present. What quantifies a smartphone for them?