Samsung's Galaxy S5 said to ship with swipe-style fingerprint sensor in home button

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Are you serious?! If so, it indicates it's going to be a flashy but useless feature.

Of course I'm serious. I copied that text from Sammobile, and I'm pretty sure it's from a reliable source.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? I can't imagine people actually using this.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I hope they open up Keychain a bit more.  I think iCloud Keychain is both tremendous and useless.

I signed up for a Kickstarter account, and given this weekends news I fortunately had Safari create a password for me.  It works great, until you download the Kickstarter app and can't log into it, because you don't know the password.

Had the same problem with my Nest thermostat and their app this weekend.

If they can allow authorized apps to see the passwords in iCloud Keychain, it will be a much more useful feature.

Yes, it'll probably be included on iOS 8. It has just been introduced a few months ago. Let it a little time me it'll get a lot more useful.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    She doesn't have a Galaxy phone if she doesn't have the Google Play Store on board.  Samsung makes a lot of junk, especially outside its key Galaxy brand, so I'm not surprised by the experience.

It is definitely a Samsung Galaxy phone - looking at images on the internet it is the Galaxy Fame. I don't think it had the full Google Play Store that is on my Galaxy Tab 2 7, but that is running Android 4.2. This is the first time I have tried Android 2.3 or whatever it is running and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Even my sister in law is now saying she will have to get an iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    This thing will need to work flawlessly, lest the press will come out in droves to ridicule it. If this is anything like those print readers on those $200 LaCie drives, I can write Samsung's obituary now.

You're living in a dream world. The press will cream their jeans over this "innovative technology", even if it takes an average of 20 swipes to work and sends actual pictures of your fingerprints to Google. Meanwhile, Apple "didn't invent fingerprint recognition", and how could anyone "trust Apple with their fingerprints" anyway?
  • Reply 65 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I haven't been to Gibson's site in a decade.

It's good for randomly generated passwords, about the only thing I have ever used it for.

Now back to the topic at hand (or fingerprint), here is another fine example of Apple's "lack of innovation" as opposed to Samsung being truly innovative for the trolls to latch on to.

The Google delusions are strong.

• Reply 66 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

It is definitely a Samsung Galaxy phone - looking at images on the internet it is the Galaxy Fame. I don't think it had the full Google Play Store that is on my Galaxy Tab 2 7, but that is running Android 4.2. This is the first time I have tried Android 2.3 or whatever it is running and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Even my sister in law is now saying she will have to get an iPhone.

Quick search shows the fame runs Android 4.1, although it seems due to the low specs, it can't run a lot of the newer apps.  It's not exactly a fair comparison though.  You're talking about a $150 phone, made with reduced specs in mind, compared to a $600 phone.  Imagine running Candy Crush or any newer app on a 3Gs.  You'd probably have a similar experience.

Also the 3g connection on her phone has more to do with her service as opposed to the actual phone.  Yes the phone itself can create some variance, but for the most part it's probably the service.

• Reply 67 of 103
    Wonder what it looks like! Is it like the iPhone 6 shape or like the Galaxy S3 or S4? I know the screen resolution is UHD - 2540 X 1920? Is it still plastic or did they make it out of metal?

Interesting to find out!
  • Reply 68 of 103
    rogifan wrote: »
    OT: can someone explain why Apple is running ads on The Verge?

2hg8fav.jpg

In order to attract people to their website.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    richl wrote: »
    All I get on AI is ads for older women dating websites. :wow:

I've never dated a website.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    And I for cat food. Considering my avatar is normally a picture of one, that's some serious Google Analytics going on when I don't use Ghostery... :smokey:

Older women dating cat food?
  • Reply 71 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OT: can someone explain why Apple is running ads on The Verge?

2hg8fav.jpg

They are hoping to sell iPads to readers of the Verge, in order to increase profits.

• Reply 72 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

All I get on AI is ads for older women dating websites. image

And I for cat food. Considering my avatar is normally a picture of one, that's some serious Google Analytics going on when I don't use Ghostery... image

When you use Ghostery, the website doesn't make any money.  

• Reply 73 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Watch the media fawn over Sammy's "innovation" while chiding Apple on its "gimmick."

The media is unfair to Apple.  Just like Wall Street and Fandroids.

• Reply 74 of 103
    clemynx wrote: »
    Yes, it'll probably be included on iOS 8. It has just been introduced a few months ago. Let it a little time me it'll get a lot more useful.

You can recover your passwords from the keychain using the keychain app on OSX or in iOS 7:

Settings > Safari > passwords & autofill > Saved Passwords

Not elegant but not exactly hard.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by theotherphil View Post

You can recover your passwords from the keychain using the keychain app on OSX or in iOS 7:

Settings > Safari > passwords & autofill > Saved Passwords

Not elegant but not exactly hard.

I didn't know that, thanks.

It's not a great workaround, but it is a workaround of sorts.

• Reply 76 of 103
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

It looks like Samsung and the media are trying to implement Apple's fingerprint sensor technology in two steps.  First, on the home button but with swiping method.  If it does not work or does not work as well as TouchID, change it to touch method.  Then Kuo will pronounce that Samsang has 'matured'.

• Reply 77 of 103
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I didn't know that, thanks.

It's not a great workaround, but it is a workaround of sorts.

That is not a work around, it is the way it has to be - it is the ONLY secure way of saving and storing passwords. Only the original source is allowed access to a previously saved password. Period. There is no way for Apple to securely verify that a specific website is made by the same person that made the app and therefor could automatically serve up a previously stored password. That would/could lead to a huge security hole. 

Even on the Mac, this is how it's done. Just because the Keychain saved my iCloud password in the System Preferences, doesn't mean Safari can automatically grab it when I go to the iCloud website. The password must be entered and saved from within Safari as well.

As a someone previously stated, there is a way to gain access to that password, just copy and paste it if needed. Yes, it is a little inconvenient, but you DO NOT want this type of built-in automation. Manually entering your password and saving it at each access point is much, much more secure.

• Reply 78 of 103
    sudonym wrote: »
    When you use Ghostery, the website doesn't make any money.  
    And couln't you conclude that I don't use Ghostery all the time... like when I visit AI, or Anand, or Arstechnic... and that's just the beginning of the "A" list figuratively.

I decide who gets my ad money when visiting a site, please explain why that's bad... :rolleyes:
  • Reply 79 of 103
    mistercow wrote: »
    Quick search shows the fame runs Android 4.1, although it seems due to the low specs, it can't run a lot of the newer apps.  It's not exactly a fair comparison though.  You're talking about a $150 phone, made with reduced specs in mind, compared to a $600 phone.  Imagine running Candy Crush or any newer app on a 3Gs.  You'd probably have a similar experience.

Also the 3g connection on her phone has more to do with her service as opposed to the actual phone.  Yes the phone itself can create some variance, but for the most part it's probably the service.

My mistake it is the Galaxy Ace - too many Galaxy models on market. Her 3G connection was on full bars. Also the point I was trying to make, irrespective of the model, is that Google counts this phone as being one if the 80% market share. The fact is that it is next to useless as a smartphone and is little better than a feature phone.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crosslad wrote: »
    My mistake it is the Galaxy Ace - too many Galaxy models on market. Her 3G connection was on full bars. Also the point I was trying to make, irrespective of the model, is that Google counts this phone as being one if the 80% market share. The fact is that it is next to useless as a smartphone and is little better than a feature phone.

It's not Google's fault that Samsung put Android on such a crappy device. If there's a activation on their servers they're going to count out. Blame Samsung and whoever decided to buy a phone with running a 3 yr old OS.