Rumor: Apple working on 4.7", 5.6" iPhones for release in Q3 2014

Comments

• Reply 81 of 156
    bananafoot wrote: »
    You miss my point. I personally will not be buying another iPhone if they do not increase the screen size. Apple will obviously continue to have success. I have a work computer (Macbook Pro) and I have an iPhone. I cannot justify buying an iPad when I feel I should be able to do everything I could do on it on my phone. I want a phone big enough to sit and play games and browse the web and watch videos without having to lug around my work computer or spend even more money on an iPad. Squinting at a 4" screen or constantly having to use two fingers to zoom in and out on every article is annoying as hell.(so much for one handed use) I literally do not use my iPhone unless I absolutely have to, because it's such an annoyance. This is my own personal experience, but I don't think it's unique. I prefer Apple's UI but I want the big screen more than I want a pretty presentation.

Not arguing your points, but perhaps a small tip that can enhance your experience in the now. When reading an article say in safari? Double tap the article text. It will fill the screen. Easily done with one thumb. Or use the reader option.
  • Reply 82 of 156
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Better lay off the “nationalistic slurs”. Crowley won’t like it.

I am a Brit and don't mind being described as one, but interjecting it into exchanges where it is neither necessary not useful is making a point of nationality, and when combined with silliness like "all Brits are liars", deliberately constructed to cause irritation, can only be construed as a slur.

In short: just you, bro.  Just you.

• Reply 83 of 156
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I am a Brit and don't mind being described as one, but interjecting it into exchanges where it is neither necessary not useful is making a point of nationality, and when combined with silliness like "all Brits are liars", deliberately constructed to cause irritation, can only be construed as a slur.

So you’re still going with the “I didn’t even bother to read the post the first time, much less any of the other times I was told to read it, given that I misinterpreted it completely” defense? 

Good luck with that.

• Reply 84 of 156
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananafoot View Post

You miss my point. I personally will not be buying another iPhone if they do not increase the screen size. Apple will obviously continue to have success. I have a work computer (Macbook Pro) and I have an iPhone. I cannot justify buying an iPad when I feel I should be able to do everything I could do on it on my phone. I want a phone big enough to sit and play games and browse the web and watch videos without having to lug around my work computer or spend even more money on an iPad. Squinting at a 4" screen or constantly having to use two fingers to zoom in and out on every article is annoying as hell.(so much for one handed use) I literally do not use my iPhone unless I absolutely have to, because it's such an annoyance. This is my own personal experience, but I don't think it's unique. I prefer Apple's UI but I want the big screen more than I want a pretty presentation.

I am exactly the same and I suspect there are millions more just like us. I know a lot of people with iPhones and not once when this topic was discussed have I ever heard anyone say they were happy with the small display. In fact only on AI do these people seem to exist. On other Mac websites there is overwhelming support for larger displays. 

• Reply 85 of 156
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I am exactly the same and I suspect there are millions more just like us. I know a lot of people with iPhones and not once when this topic was discussed have I ever heard anyone say they were happy with the small display. In fact only on AI do these people seem to exist. On other Mac websites there is overwhelming support for larger displays. 

And yet the iPhone is #1 on the US big 4.
  • Reply 86 of 156
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,228member
    jungmark wrote: »

I'd guess that a 4.7" iPhone would outsell it. (Keyword "guess")
  • Reply 87 of 156
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'd guess that a 4.7" iPhone would outsell it. (Keyword "guess")

A new one would always outsell the old one. I hope Apple still releases a 4" if they do release a 4.7" ish one. With the same specs of course. We'll see who "wins" then.
  • Reply 88 of 156
    jungmark wrote: »
    A new one would always outsell the old one. I hope Apple still releases a 4" if they do release a 4.7" ish one. With the same specs of course. We'll see who "wins" then.

Thats' kinda what I was getting at. I'd guess that if Apple were to release a 4.7" iPhone and still offer a 4" alongside it the larger display would be the better seller.
  • Reply 89 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Which means nothing since you have no idea how many of these are disgruntled and want a larger display but opted for an iPhone because of their desire to stay with iOS or other factors. Eventually if Apple doesn't offer a larger display people will decide to stop waiting and give Android a shot. We will see who was correct once a 4" iPhone has to compete with a 4.8"ish iPhone. I would be beyond shocked if the larger one doesn't blow the teensy tiny one away in sales. The one possibility that might lower sales is pricing for a larger one. If Apple prices the larger one far higher that would certainly lower demand. Once I have my next upgrade available my 5s will go on Ebay that same day and I will get a larger iPhone if one exist and if not go with one with at least a 5" screen as I should have done instead of suffering with the 5s pathetically small display these last few months. I will never ever buy any phone with a display smaller than 4.7" again. 

• Reply 90 of 156
    Which means nothing since you have no idea how many of these are disgruntled and want a larger display but opted for an iPhone because of their desire to stay with iOS or other factors. Eventually if Apple doesn't offer a larger display people will decide to stop waiting and give Android a shot. We will see who was correct once a 4" iPhone has to compete with a 4.8"ish iPhone. I would be beyond shocked if the larger one doesn't blow the teensy tiny one away in sales. The one possibility that might lower sales is pricing for a larger one. If Apple prices the larger one far higher that would certainly lower demand. Once I have my next upgrade available my 5s will go on Ebay that same day and I will get a larger iPhone if one exist and if not go with one with at least a 5" screen as I should have done instead of suffering with the 5s pathetically small display these last few months. I will never ever buy any phone with a display smaller than 4.7" again. 

How long have other vendors have larger phones than the iPhone? I never heard of a disgruntled purchase before. If size is so important, go get it elsewhere. The avg consumer doesn't care too much.
  • Reply 91 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How long have other vendors have larger phones than the iPhone? I never heard of a disgruntled purchase before. If size is so important, go get it elsewhere. The avg consumer doesn't care too much.

In a few months we will see who was right. 

• Reply 92 of 156
    In a few months we will see who was right. 

No, no you won't because your premise doesn't allow for any testing that can be verified to support your position.

You stated, "Which means nothing since you have no idea how many of these are disgruntled and want a larger display but opted for an iPhone because of their desire to stay with iOS or other factors. Eventually if Apple doesn't offer a larger display people will decide to stop waiting and give Android a shot."

You clearly admit that customers are choosing iOS but you created a hypothetical that they are disgruntled because they do want a larger display. Perhaps they are disgruntled but perhaps they aren't disgruntled but would also like to have a larger display option. You don't count that as a possibility even thought that seems to be the most common desire I've read by posters on AI.

Regardless, all that sounds reasonable (enough) until you then make some leap that people will decide to jump to Android even though you've stated they are disgruntled and still buying the iPhone since Android-based vendors started making huge phones to house the batteries needed to support the first gen LTE chips.

So how exactly do you rationalize that iOS moving from the 3.5" or 4" iPhone to a larger iPhone means these iOS users would instead have jumped to Android had Apple not introduced a larger size iPhone display?
  • Reply 93 of 156

I really was hoping for a smaller iPhone - "iPhone mini."

Maybe something in the 2.5" to 3" range. I think going larger gets close to intersecting with iPad.

Perhaps using the light function to project a keyboard on an external flat surface.

A sleeker, lower profile iPhone would be a big hit.

• Reply 94 of 156
    matt_s wrote: »
    I really was hoping for a smaller iPhone - "iPhone mini."

Maybe something in the 2.5" to 3" range. I think going larger gets close to intersecting with iPad.

Perhaps using the light function to project a keyboard on an external flat surface.

A sleeker, lower profile iPhone would be a big hit.

It's funny, most phones in the world have smaller displays than the iPhone but I only hear about marketshare numbers when it comes to Android and then seemingly get misattributed to large Android phones which don't appear to be the most commonly ones sold even if they are the flagship models from vendors.
  • Reply 95 of 156
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's funny, most phones in the world have smaller displays than the iPhone but I only hear about marketshare numbers when it comes to Android and then seemingly get misattributed to large Android phones which don't appear to be the most commonly ones sold even if they are the flagship models from vendors.

US screensize distribution according to Kantar:
    http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/chart/1396/android-phone-sales-by-screen-size/
    "According to data provided by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, only 16% of Android smartphones sold in the United States between April and June this year were equipped with screens smaller than 4 inches in diagonal. More importantly, 55 percent of Android phones sold sported significantly larger screens of 4.5 inches or more."

...and this one adds fuel to the rumors that Apple is coming out with bigger display iPhones.
    "Apple’s entry, once confirmed, means the electronics giant will join other smartphone original equipment manufacturers (OEM) in pursuing larger displays for new smartphones, a segment that will see worldwide volume quadruple this year. Global shipments of smartphone displays bigger than 4.5 inches diagonally are expected to reach nearly 431 million units by year-end, up from about 99 million units 2012."
    http://www.isuppli.com/Display-Materials-and-Systems/MarketWatch/Pages/Apple-Joining-Rapidly-Expanding-Market-for-Larger-Sized-Smartphones.aspx
  • Reply 96 of 156
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/chart/1396/android-phone-sales-by-screen-size/
    "According to data provided by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, only 16% of Android smartphones sold in the United States between April and June this year were equipped with screens smaller than 4 inches in diagonal. More importantly, 55 percent of Android phones sold sported significantly larger screens of 4.5 inches or more."

...and this one adds fuel to the rumors that Apple is coming out with bigger display iPhones.
    "Apple’s entry, once confirmed, means the electronics giant will join other smartphone original equipment manufacturers (OEM) in pursuing larger displays for new smartphones, a segment that will see worldwide volume quadruple this year. Global shipments of smartphone displays bigger than 4.5 inches diagonally are expected to reach nearly 431 million units by year-end, up from about 99 million units 2012."
    http://www.isuppli.com/Display-Materials-and-Systems/MarketWatch/Pages/Apple-Joining-Rapidly-Expanding-Market-for-Larger-Sized-Smartphones.aspx

In the US, sure, but the US has a high adoption rate of smartphones and higher-end Samsung devices dominate the Android-based market. But what about the rest of the world? This is where having anything that is technically running Android can hurt Google's numbers because all those devices that should be counted as smartphones are now counted as smartphones.
  • Reply 97 of 156

This is for the US where Apple has 40% MS, I believe. So let's say Android has the remaining 60%. So 55% of that is only 33% of the total US "smartphone" market.
    And of course I won't harp on the shipments/ sold issue. And of course no one is ever wrong on predicting future tech trends.
  • Reply 98 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Exactly. And the last thing I want to see is a ginormous LCD screen on an iPhone, making it as uncomfortable to carry in a pocket as that Android crap.

Why follow Android? Let's move in our own direction.

An iPhone Mini would have a great market IMHO. Personally, I think the iPhone is too large now. Think sleeker & more low profile.

Years ago it used to be that the smaller the phone, the cooler it was. I owned one of these A100's from Panasonic & it was the most convenient cell phone I ever toted around.

I would buy several iPhone 6 Mini's....

• Reply 99 of 156
    matt_s wrote: »
    Exactly. And the last thing I want to see is a ginormous LCD screen on an iPhone...

I welcome the option.

Even though the anti-Apple crowd said the iPhone was too big back in 2007 and then changed their position (probably not in an honest manner) when the large screen Android-based devices hit the market, I do believe that the culture has changed that a larger display is appealing to a growing majority.

I think this actual, cultural change — not those that support whatever Apple isn't doing — happened after the 2010 release of the iPad. I think people are no longer seeing these devices as simply phones or as PMPs with phones, but actual replacements for the majority of their computing needs. For that reason I think the larger display is a benefit for the increased utility they offer.

I do think Apple is nearing the release larger display on an iPhone but I wonder about a few things. What is the ideal size? What is too big for a pocketable device? Note these questions are not answered by answered by referring to the display size on the diagonal but rather the physical dimensions and weigh of the device itself. I think Apple's solution will offer a larger display without making the device much larger. You can look at the iPhone 4S v iPhone 5 to see how Apple was able to evolve to a larger display without making it lighter and use less volume. Only one axis was longer and that's the one that didn't affect the ability to slide in and out of a pocket.

Unfortunately, even if Apple can work miracles to make it smaller than even the iPhone 5S in volume they will still get deemed copycats and misquoted comments from Jobs will riddle threaten to bring down the internet.
  • Reply 100 of 156
    solipsismx wrote: »
    In the US, sure, but the US has a high adoption rate of smartphones and higher-end Samsung devices dominate the Android-based market. But what about the rest of the world? This is where having anything that is technically running Android can hurt Google's numbers because all those devices that should be counted as smartphones are now counted as smartphones.

Heck, how many iPhones did Apple ship last year in total? If I'm correct it was around 150M. That's roughly just a third of the estimated 430M smartphone displays larger than 4.5" shipped last year.