Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor

Comments

• Reply 101 of 236
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I hate SameScam with every bone in my body. They are nothing but copycats who use Apple like there own R and D facility to get new ideas. Those guys can't innovate a thing. All they ever do is copy. Like a bigger screen is innovation? Give me a break Samscam!

Better stop buying iPhones and iPads then, because Samsung are in there.

• Reply 102 of 236
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Waterproof and the wifi/LTE combo are the only 2 features that seem appealing. Overall meh...

• Reply 103 of 236
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

Samsung is avoiding gimmicks?? Lol what the hell do you need a random pulse tracker for?? So it gave me my pulse then what??

I can't imagine why they needed to include a dedicated pulse monitor.  I have an app on my 4s that uses the existing camera and flash.

• Reply 104 of 236
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Anything bigger and it'll need a VESA mount...

Isn't it the same size as the S4? I thought they kept the dimensions of the actual phone the same even though the display was slightly larger. In fact It is about the same size as the S3 isn't it? 

• Reply 105 of 236
    jony0jony0 Posts: 380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Water resistance is one thing I'd like to see Apple jump on board with. I lost a 3GS to the perils of the bathroom.

And tbh I'd stick my phone into black and white mode permanently if it made a significant improvement to battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That's something that Apple should copy. In the meantime there's invert colors.

I'm curious as to how exactly B&W will save on power with an AMOLED display. They'll save with the black since that requires no power and effectively will be turning off pixels, but you have to power up all 3 RGB pixels to get white, or whatever the pentile configuration requires, maybe they power them down a bit. I guess we'll have to see how effective their scheme will be on a variety of different content. That being said, as long as Apple sticks with backlit LCD displays, there can't be much economy there either since the back light surely must consume a lot more energy than the LCD, especially on a static image.

• Reply 106 of 236
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

Welcome to 2010.

You been living under a rock or sumthink?

iPilya,

you have to excuse hill60.  I think many of us are frustrated by Samsung's typical mode of operation ever since the release of the iPhone.   Probably no excuse for being rude however. 

• Reply 107 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bandino View Post

I rarely comment seriously on a subject as close to world values than this. When i see someone on my commute train with a Samsung i look at them with the same pity as the sad suit choked sad person sitting at the train table with his massive Windows plastic monstrosity, and his mouse and his disbelief. What i have came to understand is that this their reality. They don't know any different. It's like trying to battle creationism with science. You can beat people over the head with honest, well meant help and compassion, if they don't listen, move on. It's called triage. I know that one day i will live in a world with No Religion, No Windows, No android and we'll go on a mission that we may call a Star Trek.

To the future,

Children of Earth,

xox

Get off your high horse and respect those with religion, windows and android...no need to pity them, Mr. High-n-Almighty.

• Reply 108 of 236
    I know I shouldn't be, but I'm honestly shocked. We knew about the 1995 fingerprint scanner, of course, but I expected them to do something—some insane (pseudo)resolution on the screen, maybe (which would be half what it sounds like because of their subtile problem)...but this is just unbelievably...the same. Only uglier. Did I mention uglier?
  • Reply 109 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I much prefer Sony's new Z2 to this thing! If I were to go Android that is - which I'm not.

I predict you won't need to compare anything to Sony phones soon. They have finally started to exit market in which they are losing money. 

PCs, most TVs and soon I predict phones. 

• Reply 110 of 236
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Isn't it the same size as the S4? I thought they kept the dimensions of the actual phone the same even though the display was slightly larger. In fact It is about the same size as the S3 isn't it? 

Galaxy S5 (IP67 certified):

• 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm

• 145 g

Galaxy S4 Active LTE-A (IP67 certified):

• 139.7 x 71.3 x 9.1 mm

• 147 g

Galaxy S4:

• 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm

• 130 g

Galaxy S3:

• 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm

• 133 g

• Reply 111 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

LTE+WiFi sounds clever, but only makes sense if you have an unlimited data plan.  It'll stick with "slow" unboosted (but "free") WiFi when I'm at home thanks.

I'll be waiting for the people who blow out their data plans, "...but, but, I was on WiFi!"

exactly my thoughts here.

• Reply 112 of 236
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    The Samsung GS5 also has an integrated bowel movement sensor.
  • Reply 113 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And it looks like an entire year (and counting) will pass before Samsung / Google even attempt 64-bit computing.

I wonder how Samsung's ad agency will spin that unfortunate little fact.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Yep, that's the fate that usually befalls copyists....

• Reply 114 of 236
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechReader View Post

I truly like the idea of dust and water resistance. 

The S4 was waterproof too. Orr...water-resistant...maybe. Anyway, Samsung showed it going into water in their ads. Yay!

Except that water damage wasn't covered by warranty. Oops.

One wonders if this has changed at all, or if it's same (bull) sh!t, different year.

• Reply 115 of 236
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Must say I'm not blown away by the S5, not even close. The Ultra Power Saving Mode seems interesting but that's pretty much it. The only interesting thing launched by Samsung in my eyes is the Gear Fit. It looks quite good, we'll have to wait and see how it performs but first impressions are good.
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38792/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 116 of 236

To Apple fans! why so many comments to this piece of $hit? this crap can't even compete with the iPhone 5

• Reply 117 of 236

Make it bigger, bump up the specs, add a fingerprint reader.  Still no 64-bit CPU, and no metal case.  Lemme guess, the tech press is gonna lap this up as "innovation" because the checklist also includes a heart rate sensor and 64-bit is a "gimmick" until the phone reaches 4 GB of RAM, right?

I use a swipe sensor on my company laptop everyday -- it's not even close to what TouchID accomplishes on a mobile device.  Placing a swipe sensor on the home button ensures that probably the majority of buyers won't use the feature or give up because of its awkward ergonomics. 

TouchID works because it secures the phone and the regular usage only requires one step. I use a 5s with a car mount, and I can unlock the phone without taking my eyes off the road.  If I had to enter a passcode while driving, I very well might have opted not to secure the phone at all.

With the exception of the 5s, the majority of smartphone users don't secure their phones, because entering a passcode or gesture requires an extra step and/or using the phone with two hands.  Samsung hasn't solved anything, other than their marketing problem with this fingerprint reader.  In fact, it might even be a worse design, because at least the rear-facing fingerprint sensors on Motorola and HTC phones can be more easily used with one hand.

Also, has Samsung mentioned anything about how the fingerprint image is secured?  We know that Apple stores the fingerprint data in a secure enclave, and takes the extra step of matching each TouchID with a serial number on the A7 SoC.  That Sammobile article from last week mentioned that the fingerprint image will show up on-screen.  For whatever reason, that does not sound especially secure.

• Reply 118 of 236
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

Actually for resolution, screen on GS5 is a downgrade compared to GS4: same 1080p on bigger screen 5.1" vs 5.0". It wouldn't be distinguishable with human eyes anyway, but mentally, it's still a downgrade. I read comments all over non-Apple forums and they cried loud with hate for this marginal upgrade from Samsung, especially fandroids who always love specs and this all the sudden, disappointed them big time.

• Reply 119 of 236
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And it looks like an entire year (and counting) will pass before Samsung / Google even attempt 64-bit computing.

I wonder how Samsung's ad agency will spin that unfortunate little fact.

Guessing they'll just see if its faster than the iPhone 5s, and if so, they'll say "See, 64-bit at this stage just isn't needed in a phone"

I think the S5 does mark that phones have officially become 'boring' like desktops.   Newer is faster and nicer.

• Reply 120 of 236
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member

Yeah, the S5 is a bit of a let down...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Also, has Samsung mentioned anything about how the fingerprint image is secured?

Not yet in great detail, but they mentioned it being encrypted locally on the device. I suspect it being more or less a similar system to what Apple uses.