Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor

Comments

• Reply 121 of 236
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How does the "door" on the USB port work? Is it something that could easily break off?
  • Reply 122 of 236
    rogifan wrote: »
    How does the "door" on the USB port work? Is it something that could easily break off?

Maybe it's like the battery door on the remote for my Samsung TV? The latch barely holds, so it's always flopping open, but it has a plastic strap attached so it doesn't get lost. Sounds like standard Samsung engineering.
  • Reply 123 of 236
    Why print scanner if u can't make a good one?
  • Reply 124 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Another watch too?? This one is fitness oriented, thus the moniker: Samsung Fit

It doesn't appear to offer a whole lotta features tho. image

How in the world is a normal human supposed to use that thing? The angle is completely wrong. It's like a hospital ID band (meant to be read by someone other than the wearer).

• Reply 125 of 236

Apple fans! this is supposed to be iPhone 5c a cheaper version of Galaxy S5 and the other one S5 Pro will have probably a 2k (quimick), metal cover (cheap metal), Octa-core (quimick) and ugly like this one! i'm not sure? but lets not get to excited yet and hold our jokes for later  

• Reply 126 of 236
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Water resistance is one thing I'd like to see Apple jump on board with. I lost a 3GS to the perils of the bathroom.

And tbh I'd stick my phone into black and white mode permanently if it made a significant improvement to battery.

Water resistance and waterproof will be interesting for Apple to tackle. The Sony Xperia line has waterproof headphone jacks without port covers but the USB port still has a flap. Not being an engineer, I don't know if it is possible to waterproof a device while still having the two ports on the iPhone open. I don't think Apple would do a flap.

Black and white mode only benefits OLED screens. Wouldn't have any impact on the iPhone as it stands right now.

• Reply 127 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What are you talking about? Did you even read the article?

Unlike Apple who spent 400 million on an acquisition and 2 years of development....Samsung fast tracked their copy machine version of a fingerprint sensor and result is garbage. They can now put Fingerprint Scanner as a bullet point and lull people into thinking it "has the same thing as" the iPhone 5S. The truth is nothing of the sort.

Pulse tracker? Yeah that will get a lot of use.

Sorry, maybe you didn't see my second post.  I'm talking about software features.

Also, we've been over the fingerprint sensor a hundred times since the rumor mill started about Samsung adding one.  Apple wasn't the first with a fingerprint sensor on a phone, so I don't consider fair to say Samsung copied Apple in this way.

• Reply 128 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

Hmmm…wouldn't that be just nasty if someone was deliberately spreading credible but baseless rumors about future Apple products and features knowing that Samsung would rush something into production, thus causing Samsung to waste time, money, and resources not to mention damaging its fine, upstanding reputation for quality products? /s

• Reply 129 of 236
    I was thinking more along the lines of the fast autofocus, real time HDR, download booster, and "ultra power saving mode."  Those all sound like features users can take advantage of relatively seamlessly.

Ironically, when Apple improves things like battery life, web download speed and camera features, the tech crowd whines incessantly about how disappointed they are about the lack of "innovation."
  • Reply 130 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I much prefer Sony's new Z2 to this thing! If I were to go Android that is - which I'm not.

The new Sony looks great. I really like it from a hardware perspective but it still has a bit of bloat compared to the Nexus device. I wish Google would partner up with Sony for a Nexus device. I just got a Nexus 5 as a dev phone for some stuff I am working on and even with it not having the manufacturer or carrier bloat, it's not my iPhone 5s.

The second Apple releases a larger screen phone, a lot of Android OEMs are going to have a problem.

• Reply 131 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Also, we've been over the fingerprint sensor a hundred times since the rumor mill started about Samsung adding one.  Apple wasn't the first with a fingerprint sensor on a phone, so I don't consider fair to say Samsung copied Apple in this way.

You are correct; Apple was not the first with a fingerprint sensor, but Apple was the first to implement a sensor that worked very well. Samsung is using a fingerprint sensor technology that has been proven buggy, but they used it anyway on their very first top-end phone after the iPhone. That makes it copying. 

• Reply 132 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Gotta love all the tech geeks disappointed because Samsung didn't release some fantasy phone with crazy specs. Perhaps they're finding out that incremental updates are the norm, not just reserved for Apple.

I think its the other way around.  Apple is always expected to innovate while Samsung and other have continually been given a free pass on innovation.

• Reply 133 of 236
    I hate it that my junk falls in there. 8^)
    Yeah, sucks when you have to stand on your tippy toes and it still barely goes over the rim. May I suggest a stool, little guy?;)
  • Reply 134 of 236
    It's going to collect lots of dust, so they had to make it dust resistant.
  • Reply 135 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

I predict you won't need to compare anything to Sony phones soon. They have finally started to exit market in which they are losing money. 

PCs, most TVs and soon I predict phones. 

I don't think so. If anything, Sony has been stepping up their game in mobile. Their MWC releases have been solid upgrades. They are leaning up a bit with other products and divisions but not being in mobile isn't something they could afford to do. Especially now with the Galaxy S5 being a disappointment for a lot of Android users, Sony might actually have an opening.

• Reply 136 of 236
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Water resistance and waterproof will be interesting for Apple to tackle. 

I would love a waterproof (10+ feet) iPhone .   Would be able to used it for snorkeling and the beach

• Reply 137 of 236
    foad wrote: »
    crowley wrote: »
    Water resistance is one thing I'd like to see Apple jump on board with. I lost a 3GS to the perils of the bathroom.

And tbh I'd stick my phone into black and white mode permanently if it made a significant improvement to battery.

Water resistance and waterproof will be interesting for Apple to tackle. The Sony Xperia line has waterproof headphone jacks without port covers but the USB port still has a flap. Not being an engineer, I don't know if it is possible to waterproof a device while still having the two ports on the iPhone open. I don't think Apple would do a flap.

Black and white mode only benefits OLED screens. Wouldn't have any impact on the iPhone as it stands right now.

The Lightning Port is already waterproof.
  • Reply 138 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The Lightning Port is already waterproof.

Well there you go. I didn't know that. Thanks.

I think it is totally feasible for the next iPhone to be at a minimum water resistant, if not completely waterproof.

• Reply 139 of 236
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I would buy a Nexus 5 over this.   ITs going to be a rough year for Samsung.

• Reply 140 of 236
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

You are correct; Apple was not the first with a fingerprint sensor, but Apple was the first to implement a sensor that worked very well. Samsung is using a fingerprint sensor technology that has been proven buggy, but they used it anyway on their very first top-end phone after the iPhone. That makes it copying. 

Well it's not like they had/have a lot of choice. Samsung actually was a client/partner of Authentec before Apple acquired it. There are Samsung patents from 2011 (about a year before the TouchID rumors) that showed Samsung was interested in integrating a fingerprint scanner in a smartphone (which was also in the homebutton btw). Korean Patent Application No. 10-2011-0121829 and later also filed with USPTO. Sure they are late to the party but you can't really call it copying when they were investigating the possibility themselves.

The acquisition by Apple meant that all contracts were ended and Samsung thus needed to find another solution. Although I do agree that this solution seems somewhat (if not a lot) less efficient than Apple's. It would have been better for them to leave the fingerprint scanner for what it is for now and integrate it when it's 100% ready.