Rumor: Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    A manufacturer can do what they want with Android, see Amazon and Nokia. Google has contracted Asus to build its line of Nexus tablets. Them building a tablet that runs Android and Windows is potentially a conflict of interest.

Are they making the Nexus tabs dual bootable? Why would Googs care about other Asus tabs?
  • Reply 22 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Are they making the Nexus tabs dual bootable? Why would Googs care about other Asus tabs?

No this isn't a Nexus tab, and Google shouldn't care what Asus does with its other tablets. The only reason I can think of is misguided self preservation.
  • Reply 23 of 130
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    frood wrote: »
    And if the rumor *were* true, what would the headline be:

Google acts in Google's self interest?

In other news, iPads don't boot to Android or Windows.
    In other news, Apple Macs boot Windows, and Apple doesn't claim to be open. So they are not dictating what another company puts on their device. If they thought it would provide a good consumer experience they would offer it like on the mac.
  • Reply 24 of 130
    Sure Google is working to its own self interest. Just shows that Steve Jobs was right though when he said that Google was being a bit disingenuous for attacking iOS as being "closed" and championing Android as "open". Google is full of a bunch of meaningless rhetoric or it wouldn't be afraid of letting Chrome compete with Windows on these dual boot devices (that is clearly the alternative that Google would prefer). I guess when it is protecting its turf against competition it's not stifling innovation.

Google is trying to leverage Android into making Chrome a player on the desktop much to its frustration as much as it is trying to block Windows on mobile.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    salmanpak wrote: »
    Not that I'm surprised, but I find it interesting that AI insists that iPads be counted as computers when writing about Apple's share in the computer market, but leaves out Windows notebooks when writing about Microsoft's share in mobile devices.

It's not an AI conceit; I'd prefer "touch devices" or something over the phrase "mobile devices," since "mobile devices" sounds like it could include cameras and Zippo lighters. But "mobile devices" has become a well-understood term for the various modern iPhone-inspired smartphones and tablets.

Meanwhile, it's simply useful and reasonable to look at the computing market as a whole, touch and traditional OS's alike, and AI is not unique in doing so. It's useful to look at specific subsegments--touch-only, non-touch, phablets, workstations--no argument there. But it's ALSO useful to look at the whole market. How could anyone deny that?

And keep in mind: traditional notebooks are NOT eating away at the sales and use cases of iOS-like phones and tablets. But phones and tablets ARE eating into the sales and use cases of computers/notebooks--a trend that is clearly only growing.

Nobody could reasonably say that leaving notebooks out of Microsoft's mobile device share is a bias or a distortion: including then IN Microsoft's share would be intentionally hiding a very real and desperately serious problem that Microsoft is facing.

And nobody could reasonably say that only a biased source would look at how iPads/iPhones/derivatives are taking over many hours--and dollars--of computing that used to be done on "traditional" computers. (I'm reminded of those who thought laptops were not "real" computers!) In fact, failing to ever look at touch devices being part of the computer market--that WOULD be a distortion.
  • Reply 26 of 130
    genovelle wrote: »
    In other news, Apple Macs boot Windows, and Apple doesn't claim to be open. So they are not dictating what another company puts on their device. If they thought it would provide a good consumer experience they would offer it like on the mac.

Yes but they don't boot Windows from the factory. Would Apple allow a reseller to sell Macs with Windows already installed? It was hackers that discovered the ability for a Mac to run Windows not Apple, but they took a negative and turned it into a positive for them.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes but they don't boot Windows from the factory. Would Apple allow a reseller to sell Macs with Windows already installed? It was hackers that discovered the ability for a Mac to run Windows not Apple, but they took a negative and turned it into a positive for them.

I believe there are resellers doing just that. I know for sure they are selling them with a copy of Windows and Parallels.

• Reply 28 of 130
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    Actually long before Android existed apple resale shops offered a daughter card that Apple supplied drivers for that ran windows. I remember being shown this expensive feature.
  • Reply 29 of 130
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Those product are hideous, it is just another product which does not know what it is. You all heard of the car planes right, have you seen any on the road recently.

One things Apple does well is not trying to be all things to all people. These convertible products are just another desperate attempt to keep PC's alive just a little longer since none of these companies have figure out how to operate in the post PC era which is about to roll over them.

• Reply 30 of 130
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

And if the rumor *were* true, what would the headline be:

Google acts in Google's self interest?

In other news, iPads don't boot to Android or Windows.

Of course iPads don't boot Android or Windows. And Google or Motorola branded devices don't boot Windows. That's hardly the point. The point is that Google is operating with an "Open", Horizontal, Modular model, whereby it is licensing its OS. Apple doesn't license its OS; it has a Vertical, integrated business model. Two different animals.

But Google is leveraging its muscle to horizontally dictate to its partners. Just as MS did with Linux and browsers other than IE. That's abuse. It's also hypocritical and ironic, because Apple is accused of control and "monopoly" left right and center, when there is simply no case (since, again, the vertical model is completely different).

Now, before anyone compares this to eBooks and Apple's attempt to have MFN clauses with publishers, that's also completely different. For one thing, Apple isn't the supplier, it's the storefront. But more importantly, for this to be in any way similar to Apple's "attempt at control", Google would have to say to Asus, "hey, go for it; though if you sell in the MS Store, please don't sell it for more in our Store -- make the price comparable so our store can be competitive."

• Reply 31 of 130
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Really? With all the engineers Apple has, they couldn't figure out Windows could run on Intel based Macs?
  • Reply 33 of 130
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google may have demanded the product's cancellation ...

Well somebody had to cancel it.  If Google hadn't demanded it, ASUS's management would have demanded it.

But only after months of poor sales and dozens of tepid reviews and all that wasted carbon footprint.

• Reply 34 of 130
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It's not really an analogy so much as a paradigm at how this article is 'non-news'  Obviously the goal is to get clicks by fomenting Google-haters 'Google is evil' mantra....

I don't view Apple as 'evil' for choosing not to include Windows or Android on their tablets or phones, because it would be shooting themselves in the foot.  And "Apple doesn't add Windows or Android to the iPad!" would make a really dumb headline.  An equally dumb headline would be "Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices"

Google works with partners.  It is a different model.  If one of those partners takes a step to shoot Google in the foot, I'd expect Google to tell them to stop.  That's not really being evil or newsworthy.  Cancelling business dealings with them wouldn't be out of order, certainly.  If they threatened to cover them in honey and throw them on a fire ant nest, that would be a 'break out the popcorn' headline and newsworthy.

I would like to point out that IF this story is true - Google is doing EXACTLY the type of thing that got MS in anti-trust hot water.   One word for you: BeOS

• Reply 35 of 130
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google may have demanded the product's cancellation due to concerns about giving Microsoft a new foothold in the mobile device space

Really?  Google though this mutant device was going to be that popular?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

according to Digitimes. 

Oh, I see.

• Reply 36 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    gumbi wrote: »
    I would like to point out that IF this story is true - Google is doing EXACTLY the type of thing that got MS in anti-trust hot water.   One word for you: BeOS

You can change the default search provider on Android phones to Bing if you'd like. There have even been Samsung phones with Bing set as the factory default. In fact I'm pretty sure you can replace nearly all Google services with your own preferred provider if you choose to. Google doesn't prevent it anymore than Apple does AFAIK.

EDIT: Thanks for that BeOS mention. Hadn't been aware of it. :) Not exactly the same thing as far as I can tell since Microsoft was being accused of not allowing competing OS's to be installed on any device if that manufacturer had a discount agreement with MS. ASUS obviously ships Windows-based devices too so if Google is trying to prevent it they're not very effective.
  • Reply 37 of 130
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
  • Reply 38 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    crowley wrote: »

Yup, read up on that one after he mentioned it. See my edit in the previous post.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    jungmark wrote: »
    Really? With all the engineers Apple has, they couldn't figure out Windows could run on Intel based Macs?

Would it be the first time hackers got something to work that a company's developers said couldn't? This is from the BBC article.
    Apple technical experts were saying that the prize money was unlikely to be collected.

To answer your question, could they? They probably could, but why would they?
  • Reply 40 of 130
    cregb3cregb3 Posts: 2member
    So, how is this not an anti-competitive move (i.e. Competition Law issue in almost all countries) on the part of Google? Seems to me that some Gov't agencies would take interest in this.