Rumor: Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cregb3 wrote: »
    So, how is this not an anti-competitive move (i.e. Competition Law issue in almost all countries) on the part of Google? Seems to me that some Gov't agencies would take interest in this.

You did note the first word in the article title, right? And you also noted the source of the article, right?
  • Reply 42 of 130
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

B-b-b-b-b-b-uuuut OPEN!

• Reply 43 of 130
    cregb3cregb3 Posts: 2member
    Yeah, I know, rumor and more than likely totally false coming from DigiTimes, but still should raise an eyebrow or 2...
  • Reply 44 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    A tad off-topic but too humorous not to mention. . .

There's already an Android smartwatch. It got it's reveal back in Novemeber as a matter of fact. So besides Android and smartwatch combined being funny to some what else is funny about it? It has zero connection to Google. The OS isn't Android either. :err: :D

http://www.android-usa.com/product-p/ad721bw.htm
  • Reply 45 of 130
    If you're part of the OHA you're not allowed to release a device running a forked version of Android. So that means Samsung can sell Android, Windows or Tizen phones.

Now it appears Google doesn't even want to share the same device with another OS.

It makes sense. Nothing will show a user how utterly $hitty Android is then to run it on the same device as Windows and let the user experience the glaring shortcomings first hand.

And people wonder why Apple says they won't merge iOS and Mac OS.
  • Reply 46 of 130
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Would it be the first time hackers got something to work that a company's developers said couldn't? This is from the BBC article.
    To answer your question, could they? They probably could, but why would they?

I read the article and it wasn't clear if it was Apple employees or Apple enthusiasts that were the "Apple technical experts".

But I guess we are off topic :)
  • Reply 47 of 130
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    frood wrote: »
    It's not really an analogy so much as a paradigm at how this article is 'non-news'  Obviously the goal is to get clicks by fomenting Google-haters 'Google is evil' mantra....

I don't view Apple as 'evil' for choosing not to include Windows or Android on their tablets or phones, because it would be shooting themselves in the foot.  And "Apple doesn't add Windows or Android to the iPad!" would make a really dumb headline.  An equally dumb headline would be "Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices"

Google works with partners.  It is a different model.  If one of those partners takes a step to shoot Google in the foot, I'd expect Google to tell them to stop.  That's not really being evil or newsworthy.  Cancelling business dealings with them wouldn't be out of order, certainly.  If they threatened to cover them in honey and throw them on a fire ant nest, that would be a 'break out the popcorn' headline and newsworthy.

Windows is and was the definition of evil, so Google is off the hook here.
    They should get a standing ovation when true, because they did a Microsoft to Microsoft.
  • Reply 48 of 130
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Google doesn't manufacture the tablet. I think the Apple analogy is off the mark.

Apple doesn't manufacture the ipads either.  Foxconn does.

• Reply 49 of 130
    davendaven Posts: 696member

Interesting how a negative Google story smokes out the Google fanbois!

• Reply 50 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I read the article and it wasn't clear if it was Apple employees or Apple enthusiasts that were the "Apple technical experts".

But I guess we are off topic :)

The comments are pretty funny when AI ran the story.

http://appleinsider.com/article/?id=1597
  • Reply 51 of 130
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

It's just the "do no evil" principle as conveniently applied by Google; nothing new here.

• Reply 52 of 130
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    And Apple gets accused of anti-trust behaviour? Google better be careful there. It bills Android as being open, yet it is forcing hardware manufacturers to do its bidding to the expense of competitors.
  • Reply 53 of 130
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm more surprised it wasn't Microsoft complaining. But I guess the fact that they'd let Nokia sell an Android phone and are thinking about allowing Android apps to be ported to Windows Phone just shows how desperate they are.

Microsoft might be desperate, but a large percentage of Nokia phones are too underpowered to run Windows. It is likely considering running Android for the very low end of the market so it can quit developing its own OS for the low end of the market. It can also take the approach of Amazon, which uses the Android kernel, but strips out everything Google. Google hates that.

• Reply 54 of 130
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The comments are pretty funny when AI ran the story.

http://appleinsider.com/article/?id=1597

That's a blast from the past! The only names I recognize in that thread are the mods (and pre-mods) and Ireland!

• Reply 55 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That's a blast from the past! The only names I recognize in that thread are the mods (and pre-mods) and Ireland!

There's a few more that I recognized that don't post very often, but lkrupp is there as well and he/she posts regularly.
  • Reply 56 of 130
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    tbell wrote: »
    Microsoft might be desperate, but a large percentage of Nokia phones are too underpowered to run Windows. It is likely considering running Android for the very low end of the market so it can quit developing its own OS for the low end of the market. It can also take the approach of Amazon, which uses the Android kernel, but strips out everything Google. Google hates that.

Just a technicality, but using vanilla Android, which is open source under the Apache License... you don't have to strip anything from "Google" out... because as you said, you're using the Android "kernel" to begin with.

If I'm not mistaken, Google is under no obligation to open source their services or internal APIs or SDKs... only changes and modifications that they make to the kernel itself.

Other AI members will surely have a better explanation.

Google stepping on Asus... or Microsoft? Google can do a bloody-blue-shoe-2-step on both their graves for all I care. :p
  • Reply 57 of 130
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

By "demanded" they mean threatened not to contract upcoming Nexus devices to Asus.

Android handset alliance = Iron Fist.

Google up to their usual fun and games.

• Reply 58 of 130
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Since when is Google Chrome OS afraid of Windows? I thought it was the other way around.
    However, from ASUS point of view it makes very little sense to put an Intel CPU in the box and not allow it to run windows.
  • Reply 59 of 130
    genovelle wrote: »
    Actually long before Android existed apple resale shops offered a daughter card that Apple supplied drivers for that ran windows. I remember being shown this expensive feature.

I bought a Mac 6100 directly from Apple with that (Apple-manufactured) card already installed.
  • Reply 60 of 130
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It's not really an analogy so much as a paradigm at how this article is 'non-news'  Obviously the goal is to get clicks by fomenting Google-haters 'Google is evil' mantra....

I don't view Apple as 'evil' for choosing not to include Windows or Android on their tablets or phones, because it would be shooting themselves in the foot.  And "Apple doesn't add Windows or Android to the iPad!" would make a really dumb headline.  An equally dumb headline would be "Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices"

Google works with partners.  It is a different model.  If one of those partners takes a step to shoot Google in the foot, I'd expect Google to tell them to stop.  That's not really being evil or newsworthy.  Cancelling business dealings with them wouldn't be out of order, certainly.  If they threatened to cover them in honey and throw them on a fire ant nest, that would be a 'break out the popcorn' headline and newsworthy.

If only they didn't keep blathering on about how open Android is.

See that's the difference, it's called hypocrisy and Google has it in spades.

As usual people leap to Google's defence.