Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    But if for God sake, Apple happens to release a 5" screen iPhone 6, it'll be a mother of all phones. Sale will be massive.

Based on the last 6.5 years of sales they will be massive regardless.
  • Reply 82 of 170
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Depending on what you're talking about, there is no perfect size. By the way, welcome to 2007.

There actually is.

3.5" and 4" are the perfect size if you're looking for an on-the-go iDevice. I love my 3.5" iPhone.

5" and 5.5" are already changing the Nature of the product. It could work as an iPod Touch as you don't use it as a phone (read: you don't hold it next to your head like a phone).

• Reply 83 of 170
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Uh huh. Apple doesn't want to sell an extra 20-30 million phones... phones that might otherwise be Samsung.

Sure. I'll go along with that.

Did Motorola really sell that many?

They must be doing so well Google kept them...

...oh, hang on.

;)

• Reply 84 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I feel like these conversations about like people contrasting Android OS and iPhone the device. When one talks about a specific iPhone as being an ideal size I understand that to be the size of the device, not the display, but when numbers are thrown out like 4", 4.5", 4.7", 5" display there oddly seems to be some sort of assertion for the size of the device which out any qualification of what that means to them. When people mentioned a 4" display on the iPhone 5 who stated it would have both a reduced volume and weight? If a larger display is functionally on par with the iPhone 5S or even of the iPhone 4S in terms of weight and volume I don't think I'm going to have a problem with the larger display, unless it's the same resolution it is now.
  • Reply 85 of 170
    Makes sense.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Did Motorola really sell that many?

They must be doing so well Google kept them...

...oh, hang on.

;)

I'm not sure, man, you're the one making up this shit.

You made it sound like Apple wouldn't be interested in selling an extra 20 to 30 million phones.

• Reply 87 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I neither saw that pic of Musk or knew Samsung had such a product on the market.

The S4, Note 3 and others have the camera in the centre of the phone behind the screen, unlike Apple where the camera is above the screen.

The S5 has a bump around the lens.

This is the picture taken with the note 3, I see green people.

• Reply 88 of 170
    Quote:

I'm not sure, man, you're the one making up this shit.

You made it sound like Apple wouldn't be interested in selling an extra 20 to 30 million phones.

Oh God, I forgot I was dealing with Americans.

Here's a hint IT WAS SARCASTIC.

• Reply 89 of 170
    Quote:

Quit bringing reality into this forum. Many people here such as Tallest live inside a distorted Apple bubble and like it that way.

How about you quantify the reality of which you speak AND GIVE US A BREAKDOWN OF SCREEN SIZES VS SALES.

Otherwise it's ALL BULLSHIT.

• Reply 90 of 170
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    That mockup looks ridiculous. The only way I'd go for a larger screen is if Apple did away with the bezel around the edges and made the screen seamless from side to side.
  • Reply 91 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

See, this is what I want. I currently use a larger screen Android. For my needs it's perfect. I will never ever use any of the current size iPhones as they are much too small for me. If Apple does decide to make a bigger screen I'll be one the first to buy one. I'm dying to get my hands on a iOS product of a larger size than currently available. Don't bring up the Mini as that's for a completely different use case for me. I want a all in one. Not two separate devices to lug around.

Well maybe you'd better go buy a Samsung, they need people to make up for their "disappointing" sales.

• Reply 92 of 170
    Quote:

Depending on what you're talking about, there is no perfect size. By the way, welcome to 2007.

What?

2.8" Nokia screen, the iPhone screen was "too big" in those days.

• Reply 93 of 170
    Quote:

Oh God, I forgot I was dealing with Americans.

Here's a hint IT WAS SARCASTIC.

Blocked.

• Reply 94 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

New smartphone screen sweet spot: 5".

Where are numbers to back this statement up?

Given that iPhones are the biggest selling smartphone models.

• Reply 95 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What phone has a screen larger than 5”?! How is that usable as a phone?

Nokia 1320, obviously Samsung are now doomed.

• Reply 96 of 170
    Quote:

Blocked.

• Reply 97 of 170
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member
    Is it really going to draw users from Android? The majority of Android users are exactly what Gruber described in his article...they are Android users because they are cheap or they got a BOGO deal or free upgrade.

I highly doubt a larger screen draws many Android users if any.

Also, there is no way they are going to go that large in size. They will stick with their design philosophy of 1 handed use. They will not go past that UNLESS they make something that isn't considered an iPhone but more of a Phablet and it will be called the iNote or something like that and won't be considered an iPhone but a second category device.
  • Reply 98 of 170
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Nokia 1320, obviously Samsung are now doomed.

I just watched an unboxing of the thing (because all official product images REFUSE to show it being held or used by anyone… for some reason… almost as if…), and roughly 1/3 of the screen was accessible with one-handed use. How is anyone on Earth stupid enough to buy this?!

“Well, they’re not using it as a phone…”

Maybe don’t buy a phone, then? I mean, on one hand you get people whining that “8GB is too small except for [action], [action], and [action]” and then dismiss it as unacceptable. There’s your “budget phone” for “emerging markets” right there! And on the other you get these things for which the same people would rape a badger to obtain and the product is physically unusable for its category regardless of the use case! 

Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Also, there is no way they are going to go that large in size. They will stick with their design philosophy of 1 handed use. They will not go past that UNLESS…

Here’s a postulation, because you’re dead right about one-handed use. As a device gets thinner, the amount of curve to your hand hand required to hold said device becomes smaller, and thus your digits get a longer reach.

As such, a larger area becomes accessible to a thumb the thinner a device gets (to a point, after which it just becomes impossible to hold at all). I’ll have to grab some cardboard of different thicknesses and run some mockups, but I can say right now that no matter how thin the device is, anything above ~4.5” 16:9 is completely unusable. And maybe even smaller.

• Reply 99 of 170
    despeckdespeck Posts: 18member

Couldn't we have both one-handed operation and larger screen size? I have to think the technology is available for the phone to detect how it's being held, i.e. how many hands, and iOS could support configurability to select between auto one-handed operation when detected (controls justified to one side or the other and having a width requiring only a single thumb to operate) or two-handed operation (full span).  There might be some top-to-bottom issues to work out but what's another interface challenge to Apple?

• Reply 100 of 170
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    [quote "I can see older folks wanting bigger screens".[/quote]
    Hey I resemble that remark :) I have a 4s and is holding out for bigger screen than the current iPhone.