Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple

Comments

• Reply 141 of 170
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    .9" is significantly larger?
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's nearly 50% more display area.

Size . . . AR . . . Height . . Width . . . .Area
    7.0" . . . 1.78 . . . . 6.1" . . . . 3.4" . . . 20.94 sq in
    7.9" . . . 1.33 . . . . 6.3" . . . . 4.7" . . . 29.96 sq in

He knew EXACTLY what was meant by the original comment. As usual he's trying to make a point (very poorly) by picking only one aspect of size (diagonal) while ignoring the ones that really matter (aspect ratio and area).
  • Reply 142 of 170

He knew EXACTLY what was meant by the original comment. As usual he's trying to make a point (very poorly) by picking only one aspect of size (diagonal) while ignoring the ones that really matter (aspect ratio and area).

I thought he was being facetious, but ask a straight question, get a straight answer. I try to be straightforward with that kind of ambivalent question, as there's no harm done either way, and being straight with someone can be disarming.
  • Reply 143 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I thought he was being facetious, but ask a straight question, get a straight answer. I try to be straightforward with that kind of ambivalent question, as there's no harm done either way, and being straight with someone can be disarming.

I was indeed being facetious.
  • Reply 144 of 170
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I was indeed being facetious.

Refreshingly honest.
  • Reply 145 of 170
    Refreshingly honest.

I was going to add some 'that's what she said' type joke, but decided against it so I left it as such.
  • Reply 146 of 170
    I am one of the people that will switch from Android if Apple puts out an iPhone with a larger screen. I have an iPad and I love it but I also have large hands and the current iPhones feel too small and delicate to me. My current Galaxy S3 is the perfect size for one-handed operation and I'd love to see the new iPhone approach that size.
  • Reply 147 of 170
    psygnosis wrote: »
    I am one of the people that will switch from Android if Apple puts out an iPhone with a larger screen. I have an iPad and I love it but I also have large hands and the current iPhones feel too small and delicate to me. My current Galaxy S3 is the perfect size for one-handed operation and I'd love to see the new iPhone approach that size.

Large hands? Lose some weight. Or file your fingers down.
  • Reply 148 of 170

Personal Fact: I will consider a phone with a larger display when Apple makes it.

Personal Fact: I got a smaller screened tablet the moment Apple made it.

There was a time when I couldn't decide whether I preferred the weight and ease of the iPad Mini, or the screen estate area and resolution of the iPad 4th Gen. That changed when the iPad Air released.

• Reply 149 of 170
    stratostrato Posts: 1member
    Apple won't draw android users to a 4.7 inch screen, people want a larger screens for every day uses, look at the trend, people want big screens for everything also the camera specs are not up to par as some of the android phones, and the price is going to deter sales .
  • Reply 150 of 170

Apple has already shown that people become fairly price insensitive when it comes to their stuff.... the only real thing that's hurt them (and even that, not so much) is the screen size. The specs on the camera don't matter as much since the 5S still takes nicer pictures than most android phones with more pixels (the notion of quality pixels isn't new to those into photography). Naturally there will be some who just don't want to spend money, but those are the people who currently get the discounted crap android phones and then don't spend any money in the ecosystem. That's not a part of the android user base that Apple wants to attract anyway... Google can keep them :P That said, 4.7" isn't really all that big (a decent size, especially for a smaller person). I personally hope the 5.5-5.7" rumor is true, but I guess we'll see. I suspect they'll sell a ton of whatever they release, so the wish for a 5.7" iPhone (or iPad "nano" with calling ability as some suggest) is strictly a personal one. As a side note, I think 5.7" is about the cutoff for a phone becoming too ridiculous for phone use. I played with some android models in the store, and I while I can see my self having something the size of the Note III, the Mega really is a small tablet and just too damned big as a phone. That said, I'm 6 ft and I expect that those size cutoffs will be different for different people.... either way, I've been buying Apple for the software/relative security and I'll keep doing so, though I will not complain about more screen real-estate ;) 

Quote:

Originally Posted by strato View Post

Apple won't draw android users to a 4.7 inch screen, people want a larger screens for every day uses, look at the trend, people want big screens for everything also the camera specs are not up to par as some of the android phones, and the price is going to deter sales .

• Reply 151 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you don't want two devices, that's fine, but a phone will always be far inferior to an iPad for browsing and typing, two things which are obviously appreciated by the large number of iPad users.

Unfortunately the iPad is vastly inferior to the iPhone for making telephone calls because it can't.

• Reply 152 of 170
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

12 people is a category? Again: who’s dumb enough to want a phone that can’t be used as one?

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

He will eat those words and he will get the bigger screen iPhone and Then, and only Then will it be the best thing ever created....

I think I mentioned earlier that if they do make a unusably large screen phone, I’ll buy it simply to prove its unusability. Anyone else with a hand span over 9.5” want to do the same?

Additionally, I’ll have to ask you to stop making such claims. Basically, stop being an idiot. Anyone can see that you’re lying.

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

However recently theyve stopped making that argument

Nope, they’ve never stopped making it.

2 is more likely.

And your data points showing this are?

Time to retire the one-handed argument since Apple have. 

Except that’s not the case. They have half the market without a larger screen. They had half the market with the 3.5” screen. They’re always going to have half the market because half of the people out there are too cheap to buy quality or spend more to get the thing that isn’t just a dumbphone.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

.9" is significantly larger?

Yeah, nearly an inch is significantly larger on a device of this scale. How is this even a question?

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

What if they can make phone calls?

My Mac Pro can make phone calls. It isn’t a phone. Holding it up to my face is idiotic, as is holding a watch to my face, as is a brick.

• Reply 153 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    strato wrote: »

MP doesn't equal all camera specs. What trend? Apple isn't going to make an iPhablet sized monstrosity. Wasn't "price" going to deter sales since 2007. I guess one day you'd be right.
  • Reply 155 of 170
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    In a nut shell most of us don't want a massive amount of bulk in our pockets for a daily carry. IPad provides the perfect large screen solution when you really need it.

I agree - but as long as it's an option, I don't have a problem with it. I don't think they will sell as well as the analysts are convinced they will. I could see the first offering selling well for pent up demand, but past that I see it playing out like the matte displays on the PowerBooks. Much noise initially and then dropping as sales don't justify keeping the offering.
  • Reply 156 of 170
    philboogie wrote: »
    Android doesn't shut off the screen when holding the phone to your ear and making a call? Uhm, 'kay.

Lol, you do know that's not a phone?
  • Reply 157 of 170

Lol, you do know that's not a phone?

Funny, it’s labeled as one, marketed as one, and sold as one.

I agree with you in that it’s wholly unusable as one, but I specifically picked something that was not a tablet. Not even a phablet.

• Reply 158 of 170
    Funny, it’s labeled as one, marketed as one, and sold as one.

I agree with you in that it’s wholly unusable as one, but I specifically picked something that was not a tablet. Not even a phablet.

Really, which phone is that? I just thought it was a guy with a tablet to his ear. :lol:
  • Reply 159 of 170

Really, which phone is that? I just thought it was a guy with a tablet to his ear. image

The Huawei Ascend Mate. Tagline: “**** you, I’m big.

WOW. Huddler blocks swearing. Never noticed because I don’t do it. 

• Reply 160 of 170
    The Huawei Ascend Mate. Tagline: “**** you, I’m big.

WOW. Huddler blocks swearing. Never noticed because I don’t do it. 

That's just ridiculous. Any phone 5" or more is way too big.