Apple cracks down on Personal Hotspot abuse with iOS 7.1 update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    prof wrote: »
    The modem is separate from the main CPU that does the higher level network processing thus by your definition every smartphone is always using tethering which would forbid any use with a data service on those operators. That's the reason why I say that tethering is a made up term in this context because the implied meaning is completely different from technical reality.

When a astronaut is in a spaceship he/she is not part of the ship, and when they're out in space being held by a cable then they're tethered.
  • Reply 82 of 136
    That's really disgusting on Apple's part. Why do they feel compelled to act as the carrier's police when Android doesn't? Nice way to drive customers away to Android.

Feel free to join them.
  • Reply 83 of 136
    ipen wrote: »
    That's the reason I never upgrade to a new iOS unless it's out 6 months after all the bugs are ironed out and all the rants are known.  People who did, screwed by Apple.  From what I know,  it'll be difficult to downgrade.

Just use a pen instead.
  • Reply 84 of 136
    john.b wrote: »
    Sometimes Apple does stupid shit.

If I'm paying for 2GB (or 4GB or 10GB or whatever) of bandwidth per month, it shouldn't matter how I use it.  This just allows the carriers to gouge users for an additional fee to use the bandwidth they are already paying for.

I've really been loathe to go the whole jailbreaking route, but this could very well change my mind...

I loathe jailbreaking. If you do, may your iPhone or iPad be rendered useless.
  • Reply 85 of 136
    ipen wrote: »
    I thought Apple always has the bargaining power.  When did that table turn?
  • Reply 86 of 136
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You're incorrect. Android 4.4 does not permit any unauthorized tethering.

I do unauthorized teethering all the time with my AT&T HTC One with Android 4.4.2.
  • Reply 87 of 136
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Apple and Google have done a lot to dry up revenue streams the carriers once had. Apps, ringtones, and SMS/MMS to name a few while at the same time putting a heavier burden on their network. At some time you have to throw them a bone. I'm paying less for service on 2 smartphones now than what I paid on 2 feature phones just a few years ago.

Not really. The ubiquity of wifi—thanks to devices like the iPod touch, the iPhone and the iPad—have led to less data being used on the carriers' networks. And, although their revenue stream from SMS is reduced, the load is also reduced by iMessage, which automatically is defaulted to when on wifi. Horses for courses.
  • Reply 88 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by prof View Post

The takeaway here is: Is it not up to Apple to decide and/or enforce who can use this function or not. That's strictly between the operator and the customer and Apple trying to be a MITM is shady behaviour.

Hardly. Apple is fulfilling their contractual obligation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You know that restricting APN changes affects more than tethering?  No, you didn't?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Nice try. Shame none of that applies here.

• Reply 89 of 136
    That's completely bogus. There's no legal way some operator can forbid tethering via fineprint, if you pay for a regular data service you may use it in any way. If in doubt buy a MiFi device... It's really painful to see Apple participate in such shady behaviour.

If you think you that paying for a regular data service means you can use it in any way, you obviously haven't read the terms and conditions...
  • Reply 90 of 136
    vlscout wrote: »
    Apple does not even always permit tethering if it is clearly allowed by the carrier.

No idea why they purposefully restrict their own devices but they do.

Giffgaff UK, a MVNO using the O2 network, allows tethering, yet, as Apple refuses to give them their own carrier file and designation, it is not possible to activate the personal hotspot.

Android users on giffgaff can tether while Apple users can not.

Probably because it's such a stupid name.
  • Reply 91 of 136
    Ah well, there are additional tethering options if you jailbreak your iPhone, just not if you updated to iOS 7.1 as of this posting... :/

Glad that all you jailbreakers can't use iOS 7.1; long may it continue.
  • Reply 92 of 136
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you think you that paying for a regular data service means you can use it in any way, you obviously haven't read the terms and conditions...

How do carriers justify their tethering policies? How does loading a webpage on an iPhone affect the network any differently from loading a webpage on an iPad that happens to be connected to the internet through the iPhone?

• Reply 93 of 136
    saarek wrote: »
    If I pay for 1gb of data I should be able to use that 1gb however I want. I appreciate that it is the carriers that put the block in place but it's a disgusting way to screw your customers over.

It's up to the carriers how they let you use their data, not you.
  • Reply 94 of 136
    bulk001 wrote: »
    I have an iPad with 2 gigs of data via Sprint (I know, bad choice but it was cheap and I don't use it often.) The FCC Verizon decision makes it legal to tether if you have a set data cap but I could not figure out how to setup the tethering on the iPad so I called Sprint. They agreed that under the FCC decision I was allowed to tether but they were not legally obligated to provide the tools to do so and made it clear that they would not help me. They will turn on the monthly hotspot but it would be an additional monthly fee! So I just jailbroke the device and when I can actually get a workable connection MiWi works great. 

I'm glad you can't use 7.1. Fingers crossed that your iPad gets stolen.
  • Reply 95 of 136
    john.b wrote: »

Jailbreaking a phone in the US is legal through 2015, at the very least. 

What laws?  You're going to have to cite the actual law being "broken" if you expect anyone to take you seriously.  Otherwise we're all going to assume you're just making this up as you go.

Jailbreaking an Apple device anywhere in the world is a breach of contract with Apple.
  • Reply 96 of 136
    Except that this is what happens when the reigns are relaxed even just a little. We get abject greed trumping ethical policy. There is absolutely zero justification for a supplier imposing rules on how you consume what you buy from them, yet this goes on even WITH the spectre of government intervention. Imagine how egregious the customer boning would become if you removed that threat.

There's every justification—business.
  • Reply 97 of 136
    Trolling Apple Never Stops Taking Away All Feeling… Lighthearted?

That explains why every single one of them can do it, huh.

How dare they follow the law! How DARE they make you keep agreeing to the terms to which you legally agreed!

And sometimes users don’t think before posting stupidity.

Either Apple blocks disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “restriction of functionality” or Apple doesn’t block disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “terminating my cell phone account i need that account apple how dare you i will sue you”.

Personally, I’m fine with the former.
    Trolling Apple Never Stops Taking Away All Feeling… Lighthearted?

That explains why every single one of them can do it, huh.

How dare they follow the law! How DARE they make you keep agreeing to the terms to which you legally agreed!

And sometimes users don’t think before posting stupidity.

Either Apple blocks disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “restriction of functionality” or Apple doesn’t block disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “terminating my cell phone account i need that account apple how dare you i will sue you”.

Personally, I’m fine with the former.

Trolls Are Not Stupid Trolls Are Not...Ah Flobbadobba Lobbadobba
  • Reply 98 of 136
    slyrobber wrote: »
    I? a tiny rat. you agree!!!

You're right; we do agree.
  • Reply 99 of 136
    The fact is that tethering is a made up term used to describe a functionality of certain end devices instead of being a technical or lawful term that could be used to impose limits in contracts. Many devices (even those sold by the operators together with these contracts) are employing the very same "tethering" mechanism as the single possible way to use the data service at all. In Europe clauses in contracts which are surprising to the customer (eg. because they prevent the use of product for its intended purpose like here) are completely void. So while it would be lawful to exclude the use of a data service for more than one concurrent end device (which is quite likely what the tethering clauses are supposed to mean) it is not lawful to forbid the use of an intermediate access device (which is what tethering really means).

In my opinion Apple here chose to play nice with the operators solely for their own gain without having any real obligation to do so.

Your opinion is wrong.

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 100 of 136
    As you obviously figured out by yourself in the very same post Apple is not following any kind of law here they're simply facilitators for some network operators who put some (in many countries) void clauses into their terms and conditions. Also by enforcing some kind of incomplete whitelist they're obviously not only taking away functionality from customers whose operators try to (rightfully or not) block the functionality by contractual means but also from operators which do not even try to forbid that kind of use but for some reason didn't make it onto the whitelist.

The takeaway here is: Is it not up to Apple to decide and/or enforce who can use this function or not. That's strictly between the operator and the customer and Apple trying to be a MITM is shady behaviour.

Wrong again.

Pleasure.