Apple cracks down on Personal Hotspot abuse with iOS 7.1 update

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 136
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's really disgusting on Apple's part. Why do they feel compelled to act as the carrier's police when Android doesn't? Nice way to drive customers away to Android.

    How dare Apple lock the back door!
    patentheld wrote: »
    If this was truly deliberate removal by Apple, it was a really a poor decision to favor service providers over existing customers. This just gives one more reason to choose an Android phone over an iPhone and supports the argument that Apple does not provide enough flexibility to users.

    Bwaaaa haa.
    Customer: Say tell me how to upgrade my android phone to 4.4. I just got it last year.
    Carrier: sorry, we may release an update in 6 months but what you really want is a new phone.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    Rabble rabble rabble! I'm switching to android because I'm entitled to unauthorized tethering Rabble rabble! /s
  • Reply 23 of 136
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    Agreed.  It's like the water company charging you not only for the amount of water you use, but how many faucets and toilets you have in your house.

    Tethering charges should be illegal.  Period.

    Take it up with your carrier, then.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,094member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post



    That's really disgusting on Apple's part. Why do they feel compelled to act as the carrier's police when Android doesn't? Nice way to drive customers away to Android.



    Quit your whining.  This will not drive people to Android, and since Android doesn't allow it either, you're either misinformed or trolling.



    The way I look at it, anyone that has been abusing using this feature for all this time should be considered lucky for being able to do it as long as they have been.  You know you shouldn't be doing it, but entitled-people seem to thing that once they get a free-pass, it's their birthright.



    Wrong.

  • Reply 25 of 136
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Take it up with your carrier, then.

     

    Yes, I'm sure that will do the trick.  :no:

  • Reply 26 of 136
    profprof Posts: 84member
    That's completely bogus. There's no legal way some operator can forbid tethering via fineprint, if you pay for a regular data service you may use it in any way. If in doubt buy a MiFi device... It's really painful to see Apple participate in such shady behaviour.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    Apple does not even always permit tethering if it is clearly allowed by the carrier.

    No idea why they purposefully restrict their own devices but they do.

    Giffgaff UK, a MVNO using the O2 network, allows tethering, yet, as Apple refuses to give them their own carrier file and designation, it is not possible to activate the personal hotspot.

    Android users on giffgaff can tether while Apple users can not.
  • Reply 28 of 136
    Ah well, there are additional tethering options if you jailbreak your iPhone, just not if you updated to iOS 7.1 as of this posting... :/
  • Reply 29 of 136
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    If I pay for 1gb of data I should be able to use that 1gb however I want. I appreciate that it is the carriers that put the block in place but it's a disgusting way to screw your customers over.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    Agreed.  It's like the water company charging you not only for the amount of water you use, but how many faucets and toilets you have in your house.

    Tethering charges should be illegal.  Period.

    Sorry it's more like you own two houses and you want to avoid the minimum meter charge on the 2nd house, so you connect the water and sewer lines between the two.

    And if the company wrote their financial model to include selling as many direct connects,mifi devices and USB wireless dongles, why shouldn't they seek contractual protection of that revenue stream.

    And should Apple risk the deep pocket penalty for not doing right by the contracts they sign with carrier? No.

    Nothing to see here but people entering into service agreements they felt no reason to comply with and want apple to take their scofflaw side.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    You're incorrect. Android 4.4 does not permit any unauthorized tethering.

     

    no, you're incorrect

     

    a carrier-branded+restricted 4.4  will not tether out of the box, but this can be defeated

     

    a sim-free 4.4 phone will tether freely

  • Reply 32 of 136
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post



    Failing moving away from the US are there actually carriers in the States that allow Personal Hotspot? I'd suggest fixing the problem by going to the carrier that allows it to happen.

     

    Yes, Darryn Lowe, the 3 major carriers do allow it.  It's part of their data plan, and those are the three which Apple offers on their website (AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon).  It's the discount and PAYG carriers (and a handful of smaller regional carriers) that prohibit tethering.  Though I hesitate to classify StraightTalk a minor carrier, since they're sold by Walmart, and owned by the massive TracFone (a company I believe is based in Mexico).

  • Reply 33 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    umumum wrote: »
    no, you're incorrect

    a carrier-branded+restricted 4.4  will not tether out of the box, but this can be defeated

    a sim-free 4.4 phone will tether freely

    Which phone is SIM free?
  • Reply 34 of 136
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by prof View Post



    That's completely bogus. There's no legal way some operator can forbid tethering via fineprint, if you pay for a regular data service you may use it in any way. If in doubt buy a MiFi device... It's really painful to see Apple participate in such shady behaviour.

     

    I don't know what country you're in, prof, but in the USA a contract is a contract, and it includes the fine print (Terms of Service).  Which in the case of at least StraightTalk, expressly forbids tethering (despite the advertised "unlimited data").  See my post above.  I agree it is unpleasant, but that is why I do not buy service from that carrier.  I get what I pay for.

  • Reply 35 of 136
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

    I did not read all the responses, but for those complaining about Apple doing this, I hope your realize the only reasons this worked is someone figure out a hack to the hotspot preference file which required you to use external file editing tool to go in and change the settings to make this work. Apple just fix something this should have never worked in the past. I was looking at this hack since it did not require a jailbreak and buying a third party app.

     

    With that said, I am all about you should be allowed to you the connection how you like, if you pay for 10GB you should be able to send 10GB of any type of data weather form a phone or another device. 

     

    We just switch our account with AT&T to the new family data plan which gives you ability to use your phone for a hotspot without paying extra. AT&T now seem like they do not care anymore how you use your data under the new plan. Yes it works I tested it on all 3 idevices we have on the plan.

     

    I just love the guy you complained about failing his class, really is Apple fault you hack your phone then upgrade and had no clue they disable your hot spot. There is a person who will grow up to be a responsible adult for his own actions.

     

    For those still on unlimited data plan with AT&T, they told me and showed me that if you go over 3GB in a month they will throttle your throughput, When I was in the store the associate show us our usage and how we were using our phones and for what kind of data we were using. AT&T know what people are doing so unlimited is not really unlimited anymore and I seen the slow down.

  • Reply 36 of 136
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

    Gotta love people who blame their failures on Apple. You failed an exam? Your own fucking fault for negligence, not Apple's. 


     

    People like those who's provider is Straight Talk, hmm? Because of weirdness with their carrier profile, data never works properly unless you manually change the APN settings. In the past, this wasn't an issue, but with 7.1 those settings revert back to default, which disables ANY data, as well as MMS. It's not just Straight Talk, either, as many MVNO's have this issue. Android users have full access to their cellular network settings, whereas Apple users do not, because who knows. I understand locking out tethering, but not disabling access to network settings.

  • Reply 37 of 136
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    umumum wrote: »
    no, you're incorrect

    a carrier-branded+restricted 4.4  will not tether out of the box, but this can be defeated

    a sim-free 4.4 phone will tether freely

    He was right. KitKat does the same thing iOS7.1 does: Disables tethering unless permitted by your carrier. You are also correct tho that it doesn't appear to be hard to workaround with T-Mo bypasses already posted on some Android sites. Still he was correct that the old backdoor tethering was officially closed by 4.4.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post





    Sorry it's more like you own two houses and you want to avoid the minimum meter charge on the 2nd house, so you connect the water and sewer lines between the two.

     

    "Minimum meter charge" is an analogy that has exactly no application to the situation being discussed.

  • Reply 39 of 136
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    cash907 wrote: »
    People like those who's provider is Straight Talk, hmm? Because of weirdness with their carrier profile, data never works properly unless you manually change the APN settings. In the past, this wasn't an issue, but with 7.1 those settings revert back to default, which disables ANY data, as well as MMS. It's not just Straight Talk, either, as many MVNO's have this issue. Android users have full access to their cellular network settings, whereas Apple users do not, because who knows. I understand locking out tethering, but not disabling access to network settings.

    That's it. Either give all MVNOs their own carrier file or users the ability to edit.
  • Reply 40 of 136
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post



    That's really disgusting on Apple's part. Why do they feel compelled to act as the carrier's police when Android doesn't? Nice way to drive customers away to Android.

     

    Grow up and be responsible.

Sign In or Register to comment.