Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications

Comments

• Reply 81 of 152
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) jJust because the iPad sold for half at what the "experts" were expecting doesn't mean it was ever low-end.

2) Apple was never the only game in town. Tablets were on the market 2 decades before the iPad hit the shelves and even then there were cheap, crappy tablets installed with Android 1.x versions hitting the market.

3) Stage 6: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/177197/amazon-takes-on-apple-tv-with-new-99-firetv-streaming-gaming-set-top-box/120#post_2509142

I know that they weren't the only tablet available, but most people don't know tablets existed before the iPad. Low end has become synonymous with cheap crap, but in the purest definition of the saying it's just the lowest end. A airplane that's 35,000 feet in the air and on a incline has one end that's lower than the other, so the airplane has a low end. It's all a matter of reference.
  • Reply 82 of 152
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I know that they weren't the only tablet available, but most people don't know tablets existed before the iPad. Low end has become synonymous with cheap crap, but in the purest definition of the saying it's just the lowest end. A airplane that's 35,000 feet in the air and on a incline has one end that's lower than the other, so the airplane has a low end. It's all a matter of reference.

I don't think anyone looks at cost, quality and value of a Boeing double decker jetliner on the running and considers it low end compared to a single engine Cesna in the air even though one is physically lower than the other.

With android being free and the ease and cost at which Android can be placed in a device that says it's a tablet it's unlikely the iPad, even at $499 USD was even even close to the low-end retail coat of tablets by the time it shipped in April 2010.

PS: What about those Chinese USB flash drives sold with pirated movies installed to be played on TVs that say they are tablets?
  • Reply 83 of 152
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    PS: What about those Chinese USB flash drives sold with pirated movies installed to be played on TVs that say they are tablets?

Was that ever confirmed to be the case? I've only seen the single report of it with no corroboration from elsewhere that they actually counted as tablets. Maybe they do, i dunno.
  • Reply 84 of 152
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Was that ever confirmed to be the case? I've only seen the single report of it with no corroboration from elsewhere that they actually counted as tablets. Maybe they do, i dunno.

I don't know. That's why I put it as a postscript but I should have also written "reportedly" since I can't reasonably state it as fact at this point.

All I do know is there is a a horrible discount between Android-based "sales" and usage compare to iDevices, which is much, much worse she we only look at tablets. These usage reports make me wonder why anyone pro-Android would even consider wanting to say Android is killing iOS. When WinPC dominates over Macs in the 90's the usage, apps, and everything else fell inline with that fact.
  • Reply 85 of 152
    Fine. You want to alter the definition of low-end, then let's clarify further.

A large number of Android tablets sold are crap. Garbage. Useless.
  • Reply 86 of 152
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know. That's why I put it as a postscript but I should have also written "reportedly" since I can't reasonably state it as fact at this point.

Don't know if it's a fact, yet I've seen you post about it multiple times.  Strange.

• Reply 87 of 152
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Fine. You want to alter the definition of low-end, then let's clarify further.

A large number of Android tablets sold are crap. Garbage. Useless.

I'm taking low end at face value, the simplest meaning of the words. I'm not the one altering its meaning.
  • Reply 88 of 152
    I'm taking low end at face value, the simplest meaning of the words. I'm not the one altering its meaning.
    So do you agree or disagree with me that a large number of Android tablets are useless crap?
  • Reply 89 of 152
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    sumjuan wrote: »

Nexus Q???

Did Google actually release it? :D
  • Reply 90 of 152
    That's Business 101.

Funny that Apple just did the opposite. Changed the product but kept the name (Apple TV).
  • Reply 91 of 152
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So do you agree or disagree with me that a large number of Android tablets are useless crap?

A large number of Android tablets are running an old OS on hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Android tablets are useless crap.  That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.  Does that imply that the majority of either are useless crap?  Not in the slightest.

• Reply 92 of 152
    droidftw wrote: »
    A large number of Android tablets are running an old OS on hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Android tablets are useless crap.  That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.  Does that imply that the majority of either are useless crap?  Not in the slightest.

Bullshit! Apple doesn't sell a single iPad that doesn't run the latest OS and doesn't have very capable HW unlike the plethora of crap Android-based tablets being sold all over the world from vendors as new with HW that was never good enough for Apple and a version of Android that hasn't been new for couple years now.
  • Reply 93 of 152
    That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.

What are those? Can you specify the model?

PS: I'm typing this on my iPad 2 running iOS 7.1.
  • Reply 94 of 152
    Quote:

Bullshit! Apple doesn't sell a single iPad that doesn't run the latest OS and doesn't have very capable HW unlike the plethora of crap Android-based tablets being sold all over the world from vendors as new with HW that was never good enough for Apple and a version of Android that hasn't been new for couple years now.

Bullshit!  (Sorry, I just wanted in on the excitement)

Anyways, I can buy a first generation iPad, for example, and because it's running on old HW and an old OS it falls under the category of useless crap in my book (which is admittedly subjective).  Who said anything about buying directly from Apple?  My point was about yesterdays OS on yesterdays HW being useless crap.

• Reply 95 of 152
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Trying to move the goalposts again I see. Do I have to write this so a 5 year old can understand?

There are brand-new, latest model Android tablets (as in they were just introduced and aren't a 2-3 year old model that happens to sell for a cheap price now that the newer version is out) which can barely compete with an iPad 1 (which is now exactly 4 years old).

There are brand-new, latest model Android phones which are no better than an iPhone 3GS (which would have coincidentally also been 4 years old at the time of their announcement).

Or to make it even simpler: There are brand-new Android devices being sold which are useless crap the minute you first turn them on.

• Reply 96 of 152
    Bullshit!  (Sorry, I just wanted in on the excitement)

Anyways, I can buy a first generation iPad, for example, and because it's running on old HW and an old OS it falls under the category of useless crap in my book (which is admittedly subjective).  Who said anything about buying directly from Apple?  My point was about yesterdays OS on yesterdays HW being useless crap.

Apple (the vendor) is not selling iPads from 2010 to retail outlets for sale yet various vendors are selling cheap Android tablets to various vendors for sale. Your argument that being able to buy an unopened or used 1st ten iPad from some eBay, Craig's List, some paw shop or privately owned cellphones and beepers store is pathetic.

Here's a 7" Coby Kryos with an 800MHz ARM CPU (not even a good ARM CPU, 256MB RAM and 4GB of onboard storage running Android 2.3 and sold by Coby (the same company that made it), not some another seller via Amazon or someone looking to sell their used tablet. Note that this has only been available for sale since June 9, 2013 which is only 9 months 28 days ago. How long ago was Android 2.3 released?
  • Reply 97 of 152
    bugsnw wrote: »
    The only thing Google hasn't tried to clone from Apple is Steve Jobs himself. Crap...I just gave them an idea........

They are doing it already. But like The Boys from Brazil, they age at a normal rate, so it will be another 20 years before the first batch of Jobs clones can take their tech guru positions at Google.
  • Reply 98 of 152
    Quote:

Apple (the vendor) is not selling iPads from 2010 to retail outlets for sale yet various vendors are selling cheap Android tablets to various vendors for sale. Your argument that being able to buy an unopened or used 1st ten iPad from some eBay, Craig's List, some paw shop or privately owned cellphones and beepers store is pathetic.

Here's a 7" Coby Kryos with an 800MHz ARM CPU (not even a good ARM CPU, 256MB RAM and 4GB of onboard storage running Android 2.3 and sold by Coby (the same company that made it), not some another seller via Amazon or someone looking to sell their used tablet. Note that this has only been available for sale since June 9, 2013 which is only 9 months 28 days ago. How long ago was Android 2.3 released?

Coby Kryos?  Who's that?  I think you may be the one making a stretch for an argument this time if you're trying to paint that Coby Kryos tablet as being a good representation of Android as a whole.  Also, it looks like it's running yesterday's HW running on yesterday's OS.  That would fall in line with what I was saying above yet somehow you think this doesn't?

Now, if you or Eric would like to go on a "a large number of Coby Kryos tablets are useless crap" campaign, then by all means be my guest.  You may not find too much resistance on that one.  Heck, you two might even be able to get away with a "most Coby Kryos tablets are useless crap" campaign!

• Reply 99 of 152
    Coby Kryos?  Who's that?  Also, it looks like it's running yesterday's HW running on yesterday's OS.  That would fall in line with what I was saying above yet somehow you think this doesn't?

You can't buy the original iPad from Apple (the vendor) but you can buy old HW with an outdated OS from other vendors all over the world. The fact you have never heard of Coby proves my point about Android-based devices and you wanting to include all iPads that have ever been sold and ever will be sold forever and ever so long as you can get someone on eBay or Craig's List to sell you a used one just proved the bullshititudeness of your previous comments.
  • Reply 100 of 152
    Quote:

You can't buy the original iPad from Apple (the vendor) but you can buy old HW with an outdated OS from other vendors all over the world. The fact you have never heard of Coby proves my point about Android-based devices and you wanting to include all iPads that have ever been sold and ever will be sold forever and ever so long as you can get someone on eBay or Craig's List to sell you a used one just proved the bullshititudeness of your previous comments.

So you feel that Coby Kryos tablets are an accurate representation of the Android tablet market as a whole?