Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pmz wrote: »
    I don't understand? Did I miss something?

The iPhone 5s will drop by $100 to accommodate the incoming flagship model(s). No surprise there.

The iPhone 5c will do its own thing. Either it stays around as just an $0 - 8 GB model....or they keep a 16 GB version priced at $49 or $99. Yeah it would be weird having a 16 GB 5c and 16 GB 5s at the same exact price...they probably won't do that. But recent pricing structures lead to believe its an option.

Are you talking about subsidies price points? I am talking about unsubsidized as that's the actual retail price and subsidization are neither universal nor standard.
  • Reply 42 of 159
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm an average user and I'm almost out of space. I had to delete things just to install iOS 7.1

You have to remember that the camera takes pretty good photos and they use up a lot of space. Average people are using the phone as a camera too since it takes such good pictures, and they can then post them on Facebook, twitter, etc. Yes, average people do this such as my dad who is 71yrs old. 16GB of storage on the entry level is joke and a ripoff to consumers. Its sad they still offer 8GB which is totally unusable. 

I don't really do much with my phone except email, very little browsing, picture taking and I have "maybe" 20 apps total installed most of which I don't use all the time but enough to keep them installed. I'm not a power user by any means. 

You sound like this person:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates

I have used 12.3 G as of this morning and have 1G left. Even when I go to storage I can't really see where the 12.3G is going to, the biggest app is 1G, the photos take up a mere 436M  - and the photos app is the 4th biggest culprit for space. I don't take videos. There is one TV show downloaded. The rest is all long tail. 

Clearly not enough. The next video I want to download will require shuffling stuff around, and deleting.

• Reply 43 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You need to learn what copying is. Samsung has no IP here. Digitizers existed on products long before Samsung added one to a product. Your comment is as silly as saying Apple stole the idea for LTE simply because it waited for LTE chips to be (3rd gen) power efficient.
    Doesn't matter. The way it will play in the media is Apple copying Samsung pure and simple. I asked on another thread how Apple (Schiller) was going to announce a larger screen iPhone to the world. Is there going to be something that makes everyone go 'ah, this is why we didn't get one until 2014'? Ben Thompson thinks Apple will just pretend they never said anything about one handed use. But it will be interesting to see what the marketing angle is. It kind of makes me wonder if we'll see other things (like sapphire display or liquid metal body) that will be the star of the show and the focus won't just be a bigger display.
  • Reply 44 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you talking about subsidies price points? I am talking about unsubsidized as that's the actual retail price and subsidization are neither universal nor standard.

Subsidized prices are by far the most significant and important. I don't care nor pay much attention to the unsubsidized retail price. It appears Apple doesn't either. Their marketing strategy for iPhone centers around U.S. carrier prices. The rest of the world just falls into line somewhere close to it. Usually more expensive in some way. Not great for marketing.

• Reply 45 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope this is just a whack rumor. If not then it tells me that

Doesn't matter. The way it will play in the media is Apple copying Samsung pure and simple. I asked on another thread how Apple (Schiller) was going to announce a larger screen iPhone to the world. Is there going to be something that makes everyone go 'ah, this is why we didn't get one until 2014'? Ben Thompson thinks Apple will just pretend they never said anything about one handed use. But it will be interesting to see what the marketing angle is. It kind of makes me wonder if we'll see other things (like sapphire display or liquid metal body) that will be the star of the show and the focus won't just be a bigger display.

This leak suggests that it is getting longer ( mostly) not wider to any degree. Personally I think that is a mistake. It looks like Apple does think that one handed use is very common. 

• Reply 46 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm an average user and I'm almost out of space. I had to delete things just to install iOS 7.1

You have to remember that the camera takes pretty good photos and they use up a lot of space. Average people are using the phone as a camera too since it takes such good pictures, and they can then post them on Facebook, twitter, etc. Yes, average people do this such as my dad who is 71yrs old. 16GB of storage on the entry level is joke and a ripoff to consumers. Its sad they still offer 8GB which is totally unusable. 

I don't really do much with my phone except email, very little browsing, picture taking and I have "maybe" 20 apps total installed most of which I don't use all the time but enough to keep them installed. I'm not a power user by any means. 

You sound like this person:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates

Its not enough for ME either. That's why I bought 32 GB devices. I wanted more, so I paid more. Somehow you seem to have a problem with paying for what you get.

"16 GB isn't enough for ME so it shouldn't be the standard/base model." Sorry, I disagree with that sentiment.

• Reply 47 of 159
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope this is just a whack rumor. If not then it tells me that

Since Apple typically has high-volume sales on very few model types and like to wait for technologies to mature they are almost always late to the game with new technologies so being accused of copying or stealing by the myopic and ignorant isn't a new thing. You can look at Neonode as a laughable example of idiots saying Apple stole someone's else IP.
  • Reply 48 of 159
    sestewart wrote: »
    Iphone 5 build and manufacturing costs - 16gb $207.00, 32gb $217.00, 64gb $238.00 respectively. 

https://technology.ihs.com/410378/iphone-5-carries-199-bom-virtual-teardown-reveals

iPhone 5S build and manufacturing costs - 16gb $198.70, 32gb $208.10, 64gb $218.30 respectively. 

http://technology.ihs.com/451425/groundbreaking-iphone-5s-carries-199-bom-and-manufacturing-cost-ihs-teardown-reveals

So cost has gone down. And Apple is still taking away 450$+ profit a phone. Not that I think they're wrong making profit.. but clearly the cost is going down, and margins are going up. 
    Build costs aren't Apple's only costs, especially now that it is offering "free" software. The consumer is ultimately giving Apple the money to buy that hydro power in Oregon and that solar power in Arizona, for example.
  • Reply 49 of 159
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    So you want a 4" phone? Do you have a 5s yet? What more do you need than that?

Apple COULD go all out and introduce a brand new line of iPhones. All new same physical design at 4", 4.7", and 5.5". Something new and incredibly powerful at 3 sizes.  No one would have any reason left to buy an Android phone. As if they had reason now.

Got the 4" now, which I thought was a bit large after the 3.5" model. And the phone now is sometimes 'stuck' in my pants, front pocket, when it 'drops horizontally'. Not that I want to go back to a 4/4s though.

But sure, release 3 display sizes which should make everyone happy. I somehow can understand why people want a larger display, but I prefer the 'pocketability' of the current model and will buy that if it's still available. And I cannot picture them discontinuing the 4" display model.
  • Reply 50 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Its not enough for ME either. That's why I bought 32 GB devices. I wanted more, so I paid more. Somehow you seem to have a problem with paying for what you get.

"16 GB isn't enough for ME so it shouldn't be the standard/base model." Sorry, I disagree with that sentiment.

It really isn't enough for most, the OS and the increase in camera resolution are eating into the available space. Then Apple is pushing HD movies, and the email client is caching more stuff. Basically you can't download much on a 16G.

• Reply 51 of 159
    Subsidized prices are by far the most significant and important. I don't care nor pay much attention to the unsubsidized retail price. It appears Apple doesn't either. Their marketing strategy for iPhone centers around U.S. carrier prices. The rest of the world just falls into line somewhere close to it. Usually more expensive in some way. Not great for marketing.

Of course Apple pays attention to them. They get most of their money from non-subsideized products. The US market for smartphones, while nice for them, is an aberration. Regardless, we should be looking the cost of the device, because even with a subsidization the vendor is still paying Apple an agreed price.

Now there was talk about carriers not wanting to pay as much for the subsidization and Apple might be able to get them to finally advertise the iPhone in stores instead of Android-based devices. Perhaps this $100 bump in price is a $100 reduction in subsidization, not a $100 bump in the retail price, but that's an entirely new topic.
  • Reply 52 of 159
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

a sapphire display and liquid metal body, while nice, isn't enough to sell the device.  Today, it's all about the software and services that power devices.  That's why I'm more interested in what iOS 8 will have.

• Reply 53 of 159
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    I don't know about the USA, but in Asian markets that would be a serious mistake because Apple is already on the high end and perceived to cost a premium already and that will put it out of reach for exactly the young people they hope to attract as long term customers.

Everyone knows Apple has high profits, that will make them look a bit like thieves.

Say it ain't so, Tim. You can't be that foolish.
  • Reply 54 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

This leak suggests that it is getting longer ( mostly) not wider to any degree. Personally I think that is a mistake. It looks like Apple does think that one handed use is very common. 

Phone = One handed use. At least it should. It is what most significantly distinguishes it from a tablet, which is a 2-handed device.

If they are really making a 5.5"...that device simply won't qualify as one handed. Not without major difficult.

Regardless, I might get the fabled 5.5" anyway.

• Reply 55 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Got the 4" now, which I thought was a bit large after the 3.5" model. And the phone now is sometimes 'stuck' in my pants, front pocket, when it 'drops horizontally'. Not that I want to go back to a 4/4s though.

But sure, release 3 display sizes which should make everyone happy. I somehow can understand why people want a larger display, but I prefer the 'pocketability' of the current model and will buy that if it's still available. And I cannot picture them discontinuing the 4" display model.

I can't see them discontinuing 4", but I can see them not updating it and just lowering the price to make room for new models, yes.

• Reply 56 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Prices have got to cone down on these things soon, or the market will lose steam.

Uh huh. Last time Apple released a lower-priced phone, the buying public blinked.  The  4c  5c is selling, yes, but not as well as was expected, based upon the shrill predictions of people like you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

No one wants to go out and keep buying new cases/accessories/docks every two years for a phone. 

But they are, Stella, they are!

I suspect Apple has some amazing advancements to show us in the next iteration of the iPhone, and it will make the purchase price completely reasonable.  I'd pay an extra $100 for 3-D photography and a 3-D display.  I'd pay an extra $100 for StarTrek-like "transporter" capability.  Oh, wait, I already have that.  Well I'm sure there are a lot of things I haven't even imagined that Apple could equip the iPhone with that I'd pay the extra $100 for.  I can't wait to see what they've got up their sleeves!

Why are none of the pundits talking about 3-D photo/display?  We have the technology, it would be easy to implement, and already people willingly pay an extra $8 to see a movie in 3-D at the cinema.  So there is clearly demand.  It could be co-marketed with an Apple-brand widescreen 3-D TV as well.  Now there is a stagnating product line that Apple could revolutionize! (3-D TVs)

• Reply 57 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course Apple pays attention to them. They get most of their money from non-subsideized products. The US market for smartphones, while nice for them, is an aberration. Regardless, we should be looking the cost of the device, because even with a subsidization the vendor is still paying Apple an agreed price.

Now there was talk about carriers not wanting to pay as much for the subsidization and Apple might be able to get them to finally advertise the iPhone in stores instead of Android-based devices. Perhaps this $100 bump in price is a $100 reduction in subsidization, not a $100 bump in the retail price, but that's an entirely new topic.

I can definitely see Apple working something out to have carriers more gleefully promote iPhone...instead of pushing people on crap phones that simply cost the store less (what a horrid situation).

But I highly doubt that Apple plans on punishing its user base by increasing the baseline retail price for a 16 GB iPhone. Not a frigging chance in the world, actually.

• Reply 58 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiao-zhi View Post

I don't know about the USA, but in Asian markets that would be a serious mistake because Apple is already on the high end and perceived to cost a premium already and that will put it out of reach for exactly the young people they hope to attract as long term customers.

Everyone knows Apple has high profits, that will make them look a bit like thieves.

Say it ain't so, Tim. You can't be that foolish.

They are not going to arbitrarily raise any prices. What they CAN do is offer premium products at higher prices than whatever the base model standard is. Try to keep up.

• Reply 59 of 159

They can charge $100 more for the 5.5' iPhone since it uses more material.

I will be buying the 4.7' model.

• Reply 60 of 159
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Higher priced iphone only means that more people will hold on to their iphones longer
    Remember the average person isn't doesn't have to have the latest devices.
    Only way Apple pulls off the increase is if there's a big enough change in the iphone6 besides the screen.