Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The iPhone 5s will stick around at 16 GB for $99.

The iPhone 5c will live on as well at 8 GB for $0 and 16 for $99.

iPhone 4.7" will start at 16 GB for $199

iPhone 5.5" will start at 16 GB fro $299.

If people can get the 16GB 5s for $99, why in the world would they get the 16GB 5c for $99???

• Reply 82 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

^ please read some other posts that coincide.

• Reply 83 of 159
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

So much Panic.

Remember when the iPod Touch because $299 instead of $199- but storage went from 16gb to 32gb?

This could be the same- cool- no problem.  Let's do it.

Side note- that mock-up is awesome.  I'd buy the 5.5" just for the hell of it.

• Reply 84 of 159
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz wrote: »
    Think logically. The new 4.7" phone will be $199 for 16 GB. There is no room for doubt or conjecture here.
    So where is the logic? In fact I can see no reason at all for Apple to offer 16GB in the introductory models. It has been way to long while flash storage demands have continued to rise and prices have dropped radically.

If Apple is ALSO making a 5.5", it a stands to reason that one would cost more, correct? This is where the $299 comes from.
    Maybe a bit more but let's face it that extra screen real estate costs very little.
  • Reply 85 of 159
    OK, my iPhone 5 64 GB costs 899 US$ (here in Europe 899 EUR) without carrier contract. Does it mean, my next iPhone 6 costs 1.000 US$/EUR? Whahaha, awsome. Cracking the 1.000 US$ for a phone. Not bad!
  • Reply 86 of 159
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    andysol wrote: »
    So much Panic.

Remember when the iPod Touch because $299 instead of $199- but storage went from 16gb to 32gb?
    That was back when the cost of an extra 16GB of flash was significant. These days you can buy 64 GB of flash for what 8GB cost in 2007. This in a nutshell is the problem, Apples pricing of storage I the iPhones and iPads has become a huge ripoff. What is tolerable in 2007, 2009 or even 2011 isn't really tolerable these days.
    This could be the same- cool- no problem.  Let's do it.

Side note- that mock-up is awesome.  I'd buy the 5.5" just for the hell of it.

I'm far more inclined to upgrade my iPad because the iPad is in constant use. I really don't see a huge demand for big iPhones beyond a few nerds.
  • Reply 87 of 159
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That was back when the cost of an extra 16GB of flash was significant. 

Not really- that was Oct 2012.  A year and a half ago.  Prices were almost identical as now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm far more inclined to upgrade my iPad because the iPad is in constant use. I really don't see a huge demand for big iPhones beyond a few nerds.

???

When I'm standing in a line- waiting for an appointment- name the "time killing" place.  I think if someone were to see me looking at my phone in the line at a movie, and see you on an iPad- it'd be obvious who the nerd was.

• Reply 88 of 159
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Everyone calm down.

If Apple is truly making 2 models, at 4.7" and 5.5", then everyone would reasonably expect the subsidized prices of these two models with 16 GB capacities to start at $199 and $299, respectively.

When did any doubt about this enter anyone's mind?

If there are two models, then I agree with you, that it is not out of bounds and should even be expected. But if there is only one new model, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

But, even if there are two models, if the main differentiating factor is the screen size between the 4.7" and 5.5", a $100 differential is just going to play into the idea of being over priced, in light of other vendors having large size differences between their large phones and their phablets, without there being a $100 price difference on contract.

• Reply 89 of 159
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Makes about as much sense as the iPad mini with Retina Display and iPad 2 existing at both $399.

Yet Apple did that.

I'm not saying it seems to make sense, I'm laying out the optional routes they may take. And considering you're the one who just threw out "iGame" I wouldn't be  jabbing at anyone's marketing knowhow.

Dude, are you serious? The specs on these 2 iPad were completely different. To name a few: Retina vs non-retina, A7 64bit chip vs A5 32bit. You need to get your knowledge updated.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03/01/ipad-2-vs-ipad-mini-retina-what-buyers-need-to-know/

• Reply 90 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe a bit more but let's face it that extra screen real estate costs very little.

3.5" & 4" iPhones have been separated by $100. Expect 4" & 4.7" and 4.7" & 5.5" to behave similarly in 2014.

• Reply 91 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If there are two models, then I agree with you, that it is not out of bounds and should even be expected. But if there is only one new model, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

But, even if there are two models, if the main differentiating factor is the screen size between the 4.7" and 5.5", a $100 differential is just going to play into the idea of being over priced, in light of other vendors having large size differences between their large phones and their phablets, without there being a $100 price difference on contract.

Have you looked at the mockup? One looks drastically larger than the other. I have no doubt they'll bill the larger version as premium and easily command $100 more.

• Reply 92 of 159
    Quote:

3.5" & 4" iPhones have been separated by $100. Expect 4" & 4.7" and 4.7" & 5.5" to behave similarly in 2014.

The only time there was a generational size difference was going from the 4S to the 5...I don't recall the 5 going up by $100...

Unless you mean once the 5 was released then the older and smaller models dropped in price, but that isn't really a relevant comparison, is it?

• Reply 93 of 159
    Quote:

Have you looked at the mockup? One looks drastically larger than the other. I have no doubt they'll bill the larger version as premium and easily command $100 more.

I agree that they might. I just see that feeding in to the overpriced image of Apple because simply a larger display doesn't seem to justify a 50% price increase (on contract) generally. I guess if companies are still charging $100 for 16GB more storage, it could fly.

Also, since when is bigger premium? Unless there are other differentiating features, are we really now saying that bigger for the sake of bigger is better?

• Reply 94 of 159
    Quote:

Unless you mean once the 5 was released then the older and smaller models dropped in price, but that isn't really a relevant comparison, is it?

Is that not an exact comparison? Or at least, half of it is?

The last 4" iPhone, the iPhone 5s, will stick around, unless Apple goes all out with a new design scheme, and rebuilds the 5s internals into a new physical design, one that used across the entire new lineup of 4", 4.7", and 5.5" iPhones.

Either way.....

The 4" device will be $99.

The 4.7" device will be $199

The 5,5" device will be $299

I see that being a stellar lineup for the fall, with a (possibly) brand new iPhone at each size and price point. It would be a nice surprise if the 4" was a redesign to match in the incoming design for the 4.7 & 5.5, but it would be something we haven't heard specifics on. But it makes sense. If the new design can work at 4" size, they can repackage the 5s internals into it, and charge $99 happily.

• Reply 95 of 159
    Quote:

I agree that they might. I just see that feeding in to the overpriced image of Apple because simply a larger display doesn't seem to justify a 50% price increase (on contract) generally. I guess if companies are still charging $100 for 16GB more storage, it could fly.

Also, since when is bigger premium? Unless there are other differentiating features, are we really now saying that bigger for the sake of bigger is better?

Well you're right if there is little to no feature or hardware disparity between the 4.7" and 5.5" models then 'premium' is the wrong word, but the size will be driving factor on price in the end.

Just as iPad sees a $100 price difference in its two sizes, the iPhone will continue seeing the same. 

• Reply 96 of 159
    Quote:

Is that not an exact comparison? Or at least, half of it is?

The last 4" iPhone, the iPhone 5s, will stick around, unless Apple goes all out with a new design scheme, and rebuilds the 5s internals into a new physical design, one that used across the entire new lineup of 4", 4.7", and 5.5" iPhones.

Either way.....

The 4" device will be $99.

The 4.7" device will be $199

The 5,5" device will be $299

I see that being a stellar lineup for the fall, with a (possibly) brand new iPhone at each size and price point. It would be a nice surprise if the 4" was a redesign to match in the incoming design for the 4.7 & 5.5, but it would be something we haven't heard specifics on. But it makes sense. If the new design can work at 4" size, they can repackage the 5s internals into it, and charge $99 happily.

No, I don't think that is the same comparison. The pretty well established pattern is that when a new model is introduced, the older model (or a version of it like the 5C) drops by $100. There is no precedent where the launch price of a new model is priced $100 higher than the launch price of the previous model, let alone a precedent of it being based on size. 

Having said that, you are probably right about the price points. But if so, then I guess the sales pitch will being bigger, by itself, is better. $100 better. Not sure I really like that.

• Reply 97 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple offering an 8GB phone rather than just dropping the price on the 16G model is one of the more stupid things they've done. That to me signals a company run by finance guys not product guys. And finance guys obsessed with maintaining a certain gross margin to appease Wall Street.
  • Reply 98 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple offering an 8GB phone rather than just dropping the price on the 16G model is one of the more stupid things they've done. That to me signals a company run by finance guys not product guys. And finance guys obsessed with maintaining a certain gross margin to appease Wall Street.

That was a long time ago when they were still getting their footing on pricing and offerings. There was still really nothing else like them on the market at the time so they had some margin for making mistakes or experimenting with pricing and feature set. They don't have that same room to breathe anymore. 

• Reply 99 of 159
    C'mon, You all know by the time the new iPhone is released the prices on the GS5 will be dropped to $99, $49 and for new customers it may be free at which point people who wanted a 4.7 or 5.5 inch (whatever) iPhone will refuse to pay the $299.99 and choose the GS5.
    Some people don't care about OS or Brand wars, they want cheaper prices.
  • Reply 100 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tulkas wrote: »
    No, I don't think that is the same comparison. The pretty well established pattern is that when a new model is introduced, the older model (or a version of it like the 5C) drops by $100. There is no precedent where the launch price of a new model is priced $100 higher than the launch price of the previous model, let alone a precedent of it being based on size. 

Having said that, you are probably right about the price points. But if so, then I guess the sales pitch will being bigger, by itself, is better. $100 better. Not sure I really like that.
    It will be interesting to see how Apple would pitch this and actually have it work. When Apple went from 3.5" to 4" the price didn't increase, so why would 4" to 4.7" require a price increase? I could understand it if they're getting into phablet territory. But if the flagship iPhone goes to 4.7" and increases $100 there better be more to it than just the display size. No way does increasing the display .7" increase the BOM that much. And I doubt that .7" increase required a ton more R&D either. Unless it's a sapphire display but that's a whole other discussion.