Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    They are not going to arbitrarily raise any prices. What they CAN do is offer premium products at higher prices than whatever the base model standard is. Try to keep up.
    Peter Misek has a horrible track record when it comes to Apple. This rumor needs to go in the rubbish bin along with another one floating out there about Apple's "iWatch" being subsidized by insurance companies.
  • Reply 62 of 159
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The iPhone 5s will stick around at 16 GB for $99.

The iPhone 5c will live on as well at 8 GB for $0 and 16 for $99.

iPhone 4.7" will start at 16 GB for $199

iPhone 5.5" will start at 16 GB fro $299.

This puts 16GB iPhone 5c in the same price with 16GB iPhone 5s? You are a marketing genius!

• Reply 63 of 159
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pmz wrote: »
    I can't see them discontinuing 4", but I can see them not updating it and just lowering the price to make room for new models, yes.

That is one spooky, yet possible thing for them to do. For my sake, I hope they don't stop updating a 4" screen iPhone. Though there must be a reason why they haven't released a larger display phone even though there are larger models out there for over 3 years now. Possibly longer which makes me think they are dead serious on not creating a phablet. Though #2, a 4.7" display iPhone would still be pocketable.
  • Reply 64 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

As if they had reason now.

Exactly. They don’t. I don’t get why Apple would want to validate or legitimize the work of morons who were either too stupid or too lazy to miniaturize components correctly.

• Reply 65 of 159
    Quote:

Everyone calm down.

If Apple is truly making 2 models, at 4.7" and 5.5", then everyone would reasonably expect the subsidized prices of these two models with 16 GB capacities to start at $199 and $299, respectively.

When did any doubt about this enter anyone's mind?

Incorrect. The $299 for the standard 4.7'' phone. Also, the base capacity will be increased to 32 GB, with 64GB and 128Gb being the upgradable options. It will also be multi-colored.

• Reply 66 of 159
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    Quote:

Its not enough for ME either. That's why I bought 32 GB devices. I wanted more, so I paid more. Somehow you seem to have a problem with paying for what you get.

"16 GB isn't enough for ME so it shouldn't be the standard/base model." Sorry, I disagree with that sentiment.

You're totally missing the point and apparently you didn't read what I said. The point is, 16GB isn't enough for an average user. I'm sorry you had to pay an extra $100 for something that should have been standard on the bottom end. This isn't me pissing and moaning, its me saying that 16GB isn't enough for an average user. 

• Reply 67 of 159
    Quote:

Phone = One handed use. At least it should. It is what most significantly distinguishes it from a tablet, which is a 2-handed device.

If they are really making a 5.5"...that device simply won't qualify as one handed. Not without major difficult.

Regardless, I might get the fabled 5.5" anyway.

What about they don't call 5.5" version a phone, but another category like "iGame" and throw a GPS+celluar chips into it instead? Now, you're welcome to buy it for playing games or use it as a smartphone if you want to without violating the "one-hand" use bs theory.

• Reply 68 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You're totally missing the point and apparently you didn't read what I said. The point is, 16GB isn't enough for an average user. I'm sorry you had to pay an extra $100 for something that should have been standard on the bottom end. This isn't me pissing and moaning, its me saying that 16GB isn't enough for an average user. 

But it is. You are not the average user. If you run out of space on a 16 GB iPhone, TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU, You are not the average user.

The average user makes call, sends messages, and takes a photo here and there. At most, these people may have to delete some old conversations or remove some photos/video to make room for new....but this isn't a problem. We don't take pics and video on our phones for them to live there forever...they have final destination somewhere else.

• Reply 69 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What about they don't call 5.5" version a phone, but another category like "iGame" and throw a GPS+celluar chips into it instead? Now, you're welcome to buy it for playing games or use it as a smartphone if you want to without violating the "one-hand" use bs theory.

Nope.

• Reply 70 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Incorrect. The $299 for the standard 4.7'' phone. Also, the base capacity will be increased to 32 GB, with 64GB and 128Gb being the upgradable options. It will also be multi-colored.

and the 5.5" version will start at $399? Haha, welcome to the 2007 iPhone price.

• Reply 71 of 159
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Excellent news!

If the new phone warrants a price increase, then I am all for it.

Apple as usual, does it's own thing. Everybody else is busy undercutting each other in price, trying to sell their junk as cheap as possible, while Apple prices things fairly, and has no interest in playing the race to the bottom game.

• Reply 72 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This puts 16GB iPhone 5c in the same price with 16GB iPhone 5s? You are a marketing genius!

Makes about as much sense as the iPad mini with Retina Display and iPad 2 existing at both $399.

Yet Apple did that.

I'm not saying it seems to make sense, I'm laying out the optional routes they may take. And considering you're the one who just threw out "iGame" I wouldn't be  jabbing at anyone's marketing knowhow.

• Reply 73 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Nope.

• Reply 74 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly. They don’t. I don’t get why Apple would want to validate or legitimize the work of morons who were either too stupid or too lazy to miniaturize components correctly.

Apple is great at making lots of money from redoing other companies, "good ideas done very poorly."

4.7" and 5.5" iOS Devices are certainly in that category.

• Reply 75 of 159
    Quote:

But it is. You are not the average user. If you run out of space on a 16 GB iPhone, TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU, You are not the average user.

The average user makes call, sends messages, and takes a photo here and there. At most, these people may have to delete some old conversations or remove some photos/video to make room for new....but this isn't a problem. We don't take pics and video on our phones for them to live there forever...they have final destination somewhere else.

Yes, I agree, 16 GB is plenty of space.  My 16-month old iPhone 5 (with 16 GB) currently has 10 GB free.  And I use the phone pretty heavily--just not for a lot of things that take up storage.  And I have only ONE game downloaded on the thing.  :)   Can't say if I'm an average user, but I'm certainly fine with the 16 GB on this phone.

Now if and when Apple gives us stereoscopic photography (3-D), that may quickly change, as photos and video will consume much more space.

• Reply 76 of 159
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member

Those who chant "16GB" is not enough for the Average User are Android zealots. iOS is far more efficient than KitKat. The observations should be "Why does Samsung sell a S5 with only 16GB". Remember, an 8GB iPhone 4S is still a very useful device using iOS7. 

• Reply 77 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cintos View Post

Those who chant "16GB" is not enough for the Average User are Android zealots. iOS is far more efficient than KitKat. The observations should be "Why does Samsung sell a S5 with only 16GB". Remember, an 8GB iPhone 4S is still a very useful device using iOS7

Of course it is, and there is a market for it. Otherwise Apple would not have JUST introduced a new 8 GB phone two weeks ago.

• Reply 78 of 159
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    Quote:

Bullshit! I do very little with my phone. I've already explained this. So I have a few photos on my phone (like everyone else!) so that qualifies me as not an average user? What exact is an average user then? Someone who just uses the phone to make calls and nothing else? You're making no sense what so ever. 

• Reply 79 of 159

I just can't abide that mockup showing no increase in UI size, with merely more icons on the page. That is grotesque. I would much rather see the standard UI visibly larger on a bigger display. Easier to see. 

Something like this which i just threw together for illustration purposes:

• Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Bullshit! I do very little with my phone. I've already explained this. So I have a few photos on my phone (like everyone else!) so that qualifies me as not an average user? What exact is an average user then? Someone who just uses the phone to make calls and nothing else? You're making no sense what so ever. 

What do you want me to say? 16 GB is not enough for you. It is not enough for ME either, as I already stated and must now repeat.

For the overwhelming majority of people...it does just fine. Do you not realize that there are 8 GB offerings too? In fact, brand new iPhone 5c 8 GB version? There is a big market for these devices.....people that care more about saving a $100 at time of purchase than the permanent storage capacity of the phone.

Stop being pedantic and insisting I properly define the "average user". Others understand what I mean.

Furthermore, WISHING that the $199 iPhone was 32 GB in capacity (guess what, I "wish" it was too)...does not mean that it SHOULD be, by any stretch.