Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

True, but that was notable because it was an exception to their normal pattern of generational releases maintaining a consistent price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Then explain The New iPad (iPad 3) going retina and not increasing in price while the mini did. I still don't get that logic.

I thought by using the word "exception" that I did explain it.

• Reply 122 of 159
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Aren't a majority of their purchases the 16 GB model? Most people must feel that is enough space. From what I've seen the 32 GB version is usually the least purchased and 64 GB is second.

That doesn't mean they don't need more than 16GB of space. Maybe an average user cannot afford a $300 phone (on contract), plus $100 more if you wanted to add AppleCare+

• Reply 123 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

That doesn't mean they don't need more than 16GB of space. Maybe an average user cannot afford a $300 phone (on contract), plus $100 more if you wanted to add AppleCare+

Yes that's exactly what it means. They don't need it, or they would have gotten it. Needing it means you can't do without it....the people that buy and use 16 GB iPhones....absolutely do without it, every single day.

This is an argument you can't win....just because your experience with a 16 GB model indicates you bought the wrong one for your needs, continues to NOT dictate, or have anything to do with, what should be available at what price point.

• Reply 124 of 159
    tulkas wrote: »
    I thought by using the word "exception" that I did explain it.
    That's not an explanation. Merely fact. Why was the mini with retina more than the mini without? There is no explanation but it does leave open the opportunity for Apple to increase the iPhone price as they disproved the rule of the new model of a device not increasing in price. So no one can state as fact that they wouldn't do it again.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    Quote:

That's not an explanation. Merely fact. Why was the mini with retina more than the mini without? There is no explanation but it does leave open the opportunity for Apple to increase the iPhone price as they disproved the rule of the new model of a device not increasing in price. So no one can state as fact that they wouldn't do it again.

Nor is anyone claiming Apple wouldn't do it again. But it is not their normal pattern.

• Reply 126 of 159
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm wondering what would justify the price increase. Surely it can't just being going from 4" to 4.7". If true, perhaps it means the new iPhone will have sapphire display, 2GB ram and the base model will be 32GB.

Samsung charges more, or at least has had higher MSRP for the larger screen models in the past and I think Samsung has to give them away because they aren't 64 bit when a lot of people know Apple's getting ready to release their larger screen models.

What might be a feature, due to the rumors of iTunes going 24 bit, maybe they'll stick in a 24 bit DAC for better audio. Anything is possible, But I would think Apple is going to increase the RAM, I think it's time they did.
  • Reply 127 of 159
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Do you have any stats to back up the bold comment above? 1 person doesn't qualify as "others" so no, I don't think others understand. Yes, I realize they offer an 8GB phone too and its a fuc$%#! joke to be honest. 

PMZ is ignoring any arguments against his position and is treating iPhone users as feature phone users. In fact you just have to look at iTunes/App Store expenditure to see people are paying for more stuff each year, along with the free stuff. And the cameras take higher resolution pictures, apps cZche more local data, games are trending towards 1G.

So no 16G isn't much.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    pmz wrote: »
    Yes that's exactly what it means. They don't need it, or they would have gotten it. Needing it means you can't do without it....the people that buy and use 16 GB iPhones....absolutely do without it, every single day.

This is an argument you can't win....just because your experience with a 16 GB model indicates you bought the wrong one for your needs, continues to NOT dictate, or have anything to do with, what should be available at what price point.

It's really an argument you can't win. Because clearly the data requirements of modern phones are getting greater as everything downloadable gets bigger.

People buy at a price point, that doesn't mean they don't need more memory in day to day usage. You are basically saying that people "need" whatever they buy or they would have bought more, but since that argument could be used for any amount of available space you could make it if Apple introduced a 2GB base model at the same price. Need != afford.
  • Reply 129 of 159
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's really an argument you can't win. Because clearly the data requirements of modern phones are getting greater as everything downloadable gets bigger.

People buy at a price point, that doesn't mean they don't need more memory in day to day usage. You are basically saying that people "need" whatever they buy or they would have bought more, but since that argument could be used for any amount of available space you could make it if Apple introduced a 2GB base model at the same price. Need != afford.

I agree with everything you said and would also add that a phone you buy today will likely be used around 2 or possibly more years. Even today 16GB is really too small for much of anything but imagine the resource demand and app sizes 2 years from now using trends for last 2 years. App sizes are indeed growing exponentially. 

• Reply 130 of 159

Samsung probably can't believe the publicity it gets for free.   Have to wonder if Misek is on their payroll.  iPhone 6 is taking off like a freight train.  Oh, wait a minute, it's going to be $100 more.  Everybody reports it as fact.  Wow.

• Reply 131 of 159
    tulkas wrote: »
    Nor is anyone claiming Apple wouldn't do it again. But it is not their normal pattern.
    Not necessarily claimed as fact but you and many others surmised that they wouldn't do it where there is no more precedent that they wouldn't. Likely that they wouldn't, yes, but more likely than before that they would do something against the norm. That needs to be acknowledged by everyone (not just you of course) more than it has been.
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Quote:

Not necessarily claimed as fact but you and many others surmised that they wouldn't do it where there is no more precedent that they wouldn't. Likely that they wouldn't, yes, but more likely than before that they would do something against the norm. That needs to be acknowledged by everyone (not just you of course) more than it has been.

Of course there is more precedent for no price increase. Since the launch of the iPhone 3G, each following generation has maintained the same contract price point regardless of how big an upgrade the new generation was. That is the only precedent for iPhones. That's not to claim they won't increase the price, but you cannot claim there is no more precedent for them maintaining price than for raising the price. The best example of them raising prices recently was the iPad Mini Retina, and as I said, that was notable because it broke with their well established pattern.

Can they go against their norm? yes. Have they? Yes. Will they? Maybe. But all of those answers are predicated on an established norn, which we have in abundance. 

• Reply 133 of 159
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

NEEDING?  Who NEEDS a cell phone in the first place?  Most phone calls are meaningless and superficial to begin with, unless you are a traveling professional on business, or for an emergency.    I remember back in the 90's when the most in depth conversations on a cell phone were asking each other "can you here me now?" since cell reception sucked.   But not many people actually NEED a cell phone, let alone a smartphone.  I purposely don't carry mine around on occasion to remember what it was like not having to be tied to the thing. (Regardless of brand, or model).  I still use my iPhone 4 with 8GB and it does what I "NEED" it to do, but I would like a larger screen because of my eye sight issues.   But I'm saving up for the iPhone 6 and I might get 32GB, but not sure how much more I'd need during a 2 to 3 year lifespan.

• Reply 134 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    Why would material ever make an iPhone a must have? Do you think anyone cares what its made of? Besides people on a website like this, I mean.

This kind of conjecture is so much fun. We don't actually know if Apple is really doing 2 new sizes....but if they are, we have to have a completely rational explanation for it already prepared. :lol:
    Well I look at the HTC One and all the good reviews it's received. In many cases due to the fact it's aluminum and not plastic. So yeah I do think materials matter. Go look at the iPhone 5 intro and a large portion of the video was dedicated to how the phone was manufactured. Clearly it matters to Apple.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Samsung probably can't believe the publicity it gets for free.   Have to wonder if Misek is on their payroll.  iPhone 6 is taking off like a freight train.  Oh, wait a minute, it's going to be $100 more.  Everybody reports it as fact.  Wow.
    Hopefully they're as wrong this year as they were last year with the 5C.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

PMZ is ignoring any arguments against his position and is treating iPhone users as feature phone users. In fact you just have to look at iTunes/App Store expenditure to see people are paying for more stuff each year, along with the free stuff. And the cameras take higher resolution pictures, apps cZche more local data, games are trending towards 1G.

So no 16G isn't much.

This is exactly what he's doing. Sounds more like he's just trying to justify his extra $100 purchase. Just because he made the purchase doesn't make it right. 

• Reply 137 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

People buy what they can afford. Just because they bought a 16GB phone, doesn't mean they don't need more space. It most likely means this is what they could afford because if you paid and extra $100 for 16 more GB and then I'd say most opt to get AppleCare+ which is another $100, then all of a sudden you have a $500 phone (on contract). I'm gonna go out on a limb and an average user cannot afford a $500 phone, or even a $400 phone if you wanted to nix the AppleCare+. 

You still haven't given me any hard facts as to what an average iPhone user is and how much space they use. 

I don't really see how you're going to win anything, especially since only one person has agreed with you throughout this entire thread and everyone else doesn't. Either everyone else are idiots, or there are major flaws in your thinking.

• Reply 138 of 159
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Exactly. In my own usage, I opted to use the carrier model in the past, and got the base line 16gb iPhone 4. I also upgraded with a 16gb iPhone 5 the day of the release. Paid the 100$ for applecare, so my bill was 300$ upfront. 

Take into account now that Apple's mobile OS eats nearly 3Gb of data, and leaves the phone with only 13.3gb of usable space. When upgrading the OS, you must have over 1.2Gb of data available. That leaves me with 12.1Gb OS usable space if I want iOS updates. Apple's 1st party iLife/iWork software eats roughly 500Mb each app. (minus iPhoto, which is around 250, plus the 1gb of photos held) After installing Pages, Numbers, iPhoto, iBooks (and it's content) I'm down to around 9 gb. My iPad on the otherhand, holds these apps plus Garageband, and iMovie. Apple expects us to edit and store HD videos on our iPad/iPhone. They also expect us to edit photos. And recorded music sessions. And use the device as an iPod, which now everything is 256Kb, where one song equals nearly 8Mb per song. I have 39 albums on my iPhone right now, locally. That's 4.5Gb of music. 

I happen to pay for itunes Match, but locally stored music does not tax my carrier data plan. 

No contract plans is where I believe Apple is taking a gamble on the increase. Myself, I need a 32Gb device for my next purchase. that will already run 750$ + $100 applecare. With the increase, that now puts my purchase at $950 plus tax. The price of 2 decent PC computers!

That's now priced higher than the carrier savings from going with a no-contract option. 

• Reply 139 of 159
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple selling a phone with 8GB storage is just embarrassing,

Not when it's $0.

• Reply 140 of 159

I was thinking about getting back to an iphone. I was looking forward to a 5" screen. But, know what, you can keep it. Not interested in paying those kind of prices for a friggin phone.