Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

It's definately not useless. I have used a 8Gb iPhone 4 for the last two years. I keep the essential apps on there and keep offline media files off it and I have had a great experience. Music is streaming (Spotify) and I offload photos to my MacMini when space is tight. The only thing I really need the space for is downloading podcasts but that can also be easily managed by syncing on wireless and deleting old stuff from the phone. The only thing I usually cannot do is filming more than short clips. As long as you keep media off the phone it will be just as quick and usable as one with more memory. If it is worth the savings though is debatable.

I'm just about to go home and activate my own new iPhone 5c (32Gb). Looking forward to the speed increase and new features! My iPhone 4 has served me incredibly well so far though and I have been very happy with it. Especially after the 7.1 upgrade.

An average user isn't going to do this. They want the photos on their phone, they want to be able to watch movies, store music, etc, etc. Not store it elsewhere and rely on always having an internet connection. Yes, these are solutions to the low storage, but an average user isn't going to do this just to make their phone work. They'll just get frustrated by not being able to have their stuff on their phone. 

• Reply 22 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's funny how there's always people who will complain about 8 GB.

Guess what, this phone is not for you! You don't have to buy one, and you don't have to use one! Now go and relax.

Why are these people offended by the existence of an 8 GB iPhone? Do these people also walk into clothing stores and complain about small sized jeans and shirts? Hint: not everybody is like you.

The 8 GB iPhone is suitable for certain people, like those who do not need a lot of storage space, or those who are looking to save cash. I've said this before, but if I were to get an iPhone for somebody like my mom, the 8 GB model would be perfect, anything larger would be a complete waste.

• Reply 23 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Basically you're right. But there are a lot of people who want exactly that: a feature phone with the great interface, plus Siri, maps, browser, email, chat, voice, and a few games.  Apple basically might not be planning to offer further iOS upgrades that are compatible with the 5c aside from small patches that don't require so much space to download.  Photos can be offloaded to the cloud or to a desktop in order to open up memory if needed. Basically. Lots of peeps don't plan to use their phone for office/work purposes, and don't need the power.  No reason Apple should exclude them from the "family".  :)  These same people will likely be acquiring a new phone in 2-3 years, regardless of what they buy today, so getting an upgradeable phone is not necessary, basically it's just as well that Apple get them into the ecosystem now!  

Also, if Apple begins selling these 8GB phones in the USA, many parents might be tempted to get them for the kids, since the kids are less likely to want OS upgrades, and more likely to break the thing in a year or two anyway.

Why would Apple release a phone they don't plan on supporting with future OS upgrades? Thats just silly thinking. This is what Android phones do. 

An average user isn't going to screw around with uploading photos here, music there, etc, etc because the phone they bought doesn't have adequate storage for their needs. 

The regular 5C is what parents are buying kids today in the US. This is all I see kids using around here. Its cheap enough on contract. You can get a 16GB iPhone 5C for as low as $79 on contract if you look around. You can only take so many selifies with an 8GB phone...

• Reply 24 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Guess what, this phone is not for you! You don't have to buy one, and you don't have to use one! Now go and relax.

Why are these people offended by the existence of an 8 GB iPhone? Do these people also walk into clothing stores and complain about small sized jeans and shirts? Hint: not everybody is like you.

The 8 GB iPhone is suitable for certain people, like those who do not need a lot of storage space, or those who are looking to save cash. I've said this before, but if I were to get an iPhone for somebody like my mom, the 8 GB model would be perfect, anything larger would be a complete waste.

I disagree, you're completely missing the point....but explaining anything won't change your mind so its not worth the time. 

• Reply 25 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

Would you pay $800 for an 8 gigabyte phone?

No, but he doesn't understand that. He's so far into the Apple koolaid its not funny so its not worth arguing with him. 

• Reply 26 of 101
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

"Looking to save cash"? By paying 800 dollars for a mid-range phone? See, that's the problem. For an 800 dollar device, even if you consider taxes, to have that little storage? It's mad.

If one was looking to save cash for real, they'd buy a phone from one of Apple's competitors - which for that price would surely have more than that much storage space.

• Reply 27 of 101
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

While We are at it, Why not make 4GB phone, anyway it is not for you and you don't have to buy one or use one. You just have to relax. It is for certain people Hint: not everybody is like you, It's for people, who can pay $50 less then what 8GB costs. /

• Reply 28 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

1. Depends on what it can do.

2. This phone isn’t $800.

• Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I disagree, you're completely missing the point....but explaining anything won't change your mind so its not worth the time. 

I'm not missing the point, because I have already conducted the experiment, and I know the results.

I gave my mom an iPad 2 16 GB a few years ago, and even to this day, not even half of the capacity is filled up. An 8 GB iPhone would suit somebody like her perfectly.

There are people who don't download a lot of apps, and there are people who don't take photos or videos.

• Reply 30 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

While We are at it, Why not make 4GB phone, anyway it is not for you and you don't have to buy one or use one. You just have to relax. It is for certain people Hint: not everybody is like you, It's for people, who can pay $50 less then what 8GB costs. /

$50 is a lot for certain people.

Just look at all of the whining on here by cheapskates who thought that $329 was too high of a price for the iPad Mini.

So, it's good for Apple to offer a slightly cheaper iPhone for people who either do not need a lot of storage space or for people who think that 50 bucks is a big deal.

• Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:

I'm not missing the point, because I have already conducted the experiment, and I know the results.

I gave my mom an iPad 2 16 GB a few years ago, and even to this day, not even half of the capacity is filled up. An 8 GB iPhone would suit somebody like her perfectly.

There are people who don't download a lot of apps, and there are people who don't take photos or videos.

Except an iPad isn't an iPhone so you're experiment doesn't mean shit. iPads aren't stored in pockets, taken out many times a day, photos taken with it, etc, etc. I'm sure there are people (like me) who don't have a lot of apps, but most will take photos, store music, etc on their phone.

• Reply 32 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

but most will take photos, store music, etc on their phone.

Then those people probably shouldn't buy an 8 GB iPhone, that's just plain common sense.

The 8 GB iPhone is merely another option. Like I stated earlier, if somebody doesn't like it, then don't buy one.

• Reply 33 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. Depends on what it can do.

2. This phone isn’t $800.

579 euros is 800 dollars and 29 cents.

• Reply 34 of 101
    Quote:

Then those people probably shouldn't buy an 8 GB iPhone, that's just plain common sense.

The 8 GB iPhone is merely another option. Like I stated earlier, if somebody doesn't like it, then don't buy one.

It shouldn't be an option that costs 800 dollars. 

• Reply 35 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ezhik wrote: »

Your error is thinking that the storage capacity is the only worthwhile factor in determining the value of smartphone. But to answer your question, no, I wouldn't pay $800 for an 8GB iPhone… because I'd spend $100 more for the 16GB model.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your error is thinking that the storage capacity is the only worthwhile factor in determining the value of smartphone.

Please tell me, what makes it worth paying EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS for a MID RANGE phone? I see no logical reason for it. The "Apple tax" excuse can only go so far.

• Reply 37 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ezhik wrote: »
    Please tell me, what makes it worth paying EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS for a MID RANGE phone? I see no logical reason for it. The "Apple tax" excuse can only go so far.

You're from the US aren't you?
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:

It shouldn't be an option that costs 800 dollars. 

I've always argued in favor of Apple jacking up their prices, in other to further separate themselves from the riff raff.

If somebody feels that the price of a particular Apple device is too expensive, then they are free to buy something else.

And the 4s is still available for those who are looking for something even cheaper.

• Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:

No, I am from Russia. For reference, the cheapest iPhone 5c (16 GB) is 610 dollars here - still quite expensive compared to competition, but not as insane as that.

• Reply 40 of 101
    Quote:

No he's not. 

And those euro prices that people mention, have VAT included I believe.