Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Apple has continued to slowly expand availability of its new entry-level 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c model, with the handset debuting in a number of additional countries this week, including Italy and Sweden.




Joining them were the Czech Republic, Belgium, and the Netherlands, according to LetemSvetem Applem. It's also available in Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, and Switzerland. The new 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c expands the handset's lineup, flanking the previously available 16- and 32-gigabyte capacities.

In Italy, the 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c is available for 579 euros, which is 50 euros less than the 16-gigabyte model. In Sweden, the smaller-capacity model comes at a discount of 500 krona, while in the Czech Republic, it's 1,300 koruna cheaper than the 16-gigabyte version.

A month ago, the 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c debuted in a number of major markets including the U.K., France, China,, Germany, and Australia. It did not, however, replace the low-end iPhone 4s, which remains the company's cheapest smartphone option available.




The 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c is intended for users who aren't planning to heavily use the handset for media or applications. It ships with 4.9 gigabytes of storage available to users, with the remaining space used up by the iOS operating system and various services.

Market watchers expect the 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c, along with last month's return of the fourth-generation iPad with Retina display, as having a "slight positive" on the company's bottom line for the current June quarter.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 101
    chazbcnchazbcn Posts: 26member
    I've checked the Spanish apple website and it's also available here in Spain:

    http://store.apple.com/es/buy-iphone/iphone5c
  • Reply 2 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,472member

    Bwwwuh? The 5c was declared a complete epic fail. Why is Apple debuting this thing in numerous countries?

  • Reply 3 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member

    So expensive. The pricing situation on iPhones is not right right now IMO.

     

    When they introduced the 8 GB 5c I think the should have killed both the 4s and the 32 GB 5c, and rearranged pricing. That's my opinion.

     

    I really think they should adjust the pricing of iPhones to this:

     

    4s 8 GB = EOL

     

    5c 8 GB = €399

    5c 16 GB = €499

     

    5s 16 GB €599

    5s 32 GB €699

    5s 64 GB €799

     

  • Reply 4 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I really hope we'll see 8GB fall away forever as the minimum capacity for the iPhone. With over 1GB needed for the last OTA update plus the temporary swap file that 8GB which is only 7.45GiB before the OS is installed is getting very cramped. I can't image the average buyer of a new 8GB iPhone is very tech savvy.

    lkrupp wrote: »
    Bwwwuh? The 5c was declared a complete epic fail. Why is Apple debuting this thing in numerous countries?

    If the iPhone 5C could speak it would probably say, "Reports of my failure have been greatly exaggerated."
  • Reply 5 of 101
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I can't believe Apple is selling an 8 GB iPhone in 2014. This is not the way to make users happy and satisfied. Who wants a crippled iPhone that can't do much due to its limited memory? This cheapo phone cheapens Apple's premium brand.

    This is like when Krispy Kreme started selling bad tasting stale donuts at supermarkets.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    The Netherlands? [S]Yeah![/S]

    I guess with Photostream and iTunes Match that 4.9 is enough for some people though. But with MS office / iWork apps around a quarter of a gig each it may very well be too cramped, making people wish for an SD Card slot...
  • Reply 7 of 101
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post



    I can't believe Apple is selling an 8 GB iPhone in 2014. This is not the way to make users happy and satisfied. Who wants a crippled iPhone that can't do much due to its limited memory? This cheapo phone cheapens Apple's premium brand.



    This is like when Krispy Kreme started selling bad tasting stale donuts at supermarkets.

    Anyone remember IBM's pcJr?

  • Reply 8 of 101
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    In Sweden it is 500 kronor not krona.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,175member
    Quote:


    The 8-gigabyte iPhone 5c is intended for users who aren't planning to heavily use the handset for media or applications. It ships with 4.9 gigabytes of storage available to users, with the remaining space used up by the iOS operating system and various services.


     

    Basically its for people who will basically use the phone as a feature phone because otherwise its pretty much useless. Basically all you'll be able to do is browse the internet, get email, chat and talk on it. Everything else is pretty much a no because you'll run out of storage in a heartbeat. 

  • Reply 10 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

    I can't believe Apple is selling an 8 GB iPhone in 2014. This is not the way to make users happy and satisfied. 

     

    Maybe it is and you’re just not that user?

     

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

    because otherwise its pretty much useless.


     

    That’s a whole mess of FUD and you know it. Why would you say that?

  • Reply 11 of 101
    still too expensive.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/04/iphone-4-india/

    Could also expand the selling of the ip4
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

     

    Basically its for people who will basically use the phone as a feature phone because otherwise its pretty much useless. Basically all you'll be able to do is browse the internet, get email, chat and talk on it. Everything else is pretty much a no because you'll run out of storage in a heartbeat. 


     

    Basically you're right. But there are a lot of people who want exactly that: a feature phone with the great interface, plus Siri, maps, browser, email, chat, voice, and a few games.  Apple basically might not be planning to offer further iOS upgrades that are compatible with the 5c aside from small patches that don't require so much space to download.  Photos can be offloaded to the cloud or to a desktop in order to open up memory if needed. Basically. Lots of peeps don't plan to use their phone for office/work purposes, and don't need the power.  No reason Apple should exclude them from the "family".  :)  These same people will likely be acquiring a new phone in 2-3 years, regardless of what they buy today, so getting an upgradeable phone is not necessary, basically it's just as well that Apple get them into the ecosystem now!  

     

    Also, if Apple begins selling these 8GB phones in the USA, many parents might be tempted to get them for the kids, since the kids are less likely to want OS upgrades, and more likely to break the thing in a year or two anyway.

  • Reply 14 of 101
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member

    That's an insane price for an 8 GB smartphone.

  • Reply 15 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

    Thats not an insane price for an… …iPhone.

     

    Fixed.

  • Reply 16 of 101
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

     

    That's an insane price for an 8 GB smartphone.


     

    Unsubsidized prices and they include tax. 

  • Reply 17 of 101
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

     

     

    Basically its for people who will basically use the phone as a feature phone because otherwise its pretty much useless. Basically all you'll be able to do is browse the internet, get email, chat and talk on it. Everything else is pretty much a no because you'll run out of storage in a heartbeat. 




    It's definately not useless. I have used a 8Gb iPhone 4 for the last two years. I keep the essential apps on there and keep offline media files off it and I have had a great experience. Music is streaming (Spotify) and I offload photos to my MacMini when space is tight. The only thing I really need the space for is downloading podcasts but that can also be easily managed by syncing on wireless and deleting old stuff from the phone. The only thing I usually cannot do is filming more than short clips. As long as you keep media off the phone it will be just as quick and usable as one with more memory. If it is worth the savings though is debatable.

     

    I'm just about to go home and activate my own new iPhone 5c (32Gb). Looking forward to the speed increase and new features! My iPhone 4 has served me incredibly well so far though and I have been very happy with it. Especially after the 7.1 upgrade.

  • Reply 18 of 101
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,397member

    8GB available in the UK too.

    It just gives people more options which is never a bad thing. If you need more memory, you buy a phone with more memory, simple.

     

    This will just help more people discover the Apple brand and when they are happy, they'll get a bigger capacity phone, maybe the premium model next time.

  • Reply 19 of 101
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Fixed.


    Would you pay $800 for an 8 gigabyte phone?

  • Reply 20 of 101
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

     

     

    Unsubsidized prices and they include tax. 


    An 8 GB (an 8 GB phone in 2014!) iPhone 5c costs 579 euros, which converts to 800 dollars.

    A 16 GB iPhone 5costs $649. Of course, you need to add sales tax to that. Let's make that 25% - surely enough to cover whatever taxes it gets and the added shipping costs from China to Europe. You get 811 dollars. 

     

    So yeah. It is an insane price, even for an Apple product.

Sign In or Register to comment.