Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hmm wrote: »
    That is one of those half - truths. Much of the time they know what they want from a functionality standpoint. If a bigger screen makes something easier to view or navigate, the screen size is merely a means to an end assuming any incidental drawbacks are outweighed by the advantage. I find it a little weird to use to that quote repeatedly as a point of reasoning.

The question is would all these people be calling for a big screen iPhone if they hadn't seen it on a competitor's device?
  • Reply 142 of 149
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

If a bigger screen makes something easier to view or navigate, the screen size is merely a means to an end assuming any incidental drawbacks are outweighed by the advantage.

The quote may be a half truth, but the conclusions many draw from it are equally so. For example, “I want a larger screen” is in no way a valid position. How much larger? “Larger”. I’m sure they’ll get right on that, skippy.

People may want a larger screen, but they don’t know how large a screen they actually want… until Apple shows it to them.

Me… I’m ready for a 4.7”. I just wish it still had flat sides, because it’s going to be slippery as all get out.

• Reply 143 of 149
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The question is would all these people be calling for a big screen iPhone if they hadn't seen it on a competitor's device?

I'm not sure. I think some of them would, but I don't know how to quantify it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The quote may be a half truth, but the conclusions many draw from it are equally so. For example, “I want a larger screen” is in no way a valid position. How much larger? “Larger”. I’m sure they’ll get right on that, skippy.

People may want a larger screen, but they don’t know how large a screen they actually want… until Apple shows it to them.

Me… I’m ready for a 4.7”. I just wish it still had flat sides, because it’s going to be slippery as all get out.

With many components it costs more to make the device more compact. LCD screens and their respective implementations within a device are not this way, so I think it is entirely feasible that with earlier iphones, they were going for something that could be sourced at a cost effective rate. It doesn't even have to be Apple. Apple is just in a good position there because they have a high degree of control over both the hardware and direction of the OS. They can mitigate the use of weird scaling methods and other problems when it comes to matching the device.

• Reply 144 of 149
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

What Kind of Woman Are You TALKING ABOUT ?

Like THIS ???

Must all your posts include a silly photo and a bombastically oversized, red font? This is even worse than people who type in all caps.

• Reply 145 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

More and more every day I see young people, teens and early twenties, using large screen Android phones.

Even a year ago I saw more iPhones in use but that trend seems to be changing amongst people in that are group.

Anecdotal evidence... true... but...

The most meaningful part of your comment was the last line: "Anecdotal evidence".

Most of those Android users you're seeing are not former iPhone users who have switched to larger Android phones. They are simply Android customers who are buying whatever's being pushed to them.

Platform Loyalty

From a Yankee Group survey last year,

• "91 percent of iPhone owners intend to buy another iPhone, while 6 percent plan to switch to an Android device with their next purchase."

• "76 percent of Android owners intend to buy another Android phone..." indicating that 24 percent of Android phone users plan to switch to another platform - 18 percent to iPhones.

http://allthingsd.com/20130426/androids-leaky-bucket-loyalty-gives-apple-the-edge-over-time/

iOS vs. Android 4 Year Projections

Why Larger Phones?

Android smartphone manufacturers push larger phones because they lack Apple's design and engineering prowess to deliver a high performance device in a compact design. What Apple does is hard. It's much easier to design a larger phone with good battery life.

This fascination with larger phones (the complete opposite of every other technology trend, including cell phones historically) is largely manufactured by Samsung's $14 billion marketing budget.

• Reply 146 of 149
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    freediverx wrote: »
    hameta wrote: »
    [SIZE=8px]What Kind of Woman Are You TALKING ABOUT ?

Like THIS ???
    [/SIZE]

Must all your posts include a silly photo and a bombastically oversized, red font? This is even worse than people who type in all caps.

Brightens up the forum.
  • Reply 147 of 149
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Could you at the very least use a more up to date article. This one is a year old.

• Reply 148 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Could you at the very least use a more up to date article. This one is a year old.

The article referenced a Yankee Group survey that was conducted last year. I am not aware of a more recent version.

Can you cite a more current analysis or was that not included in your Samsung Astroturfer Starter kit?

• Reply 149 of 149
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The article referenced a Yankee Group survey that was conducted last year. I am not aware of a more recent version.

Can you cite a more current analysis or was that not included in your Samsung Astroturfer Starter kit?

Really? You're that lazy.

SAS kit.  Hahahahahahahahaha... good one.