Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
A dodgy set of renderings sourced from Eastern Europe on Friday purport to show Apple's next-generation iPhone with a chassis designed to hold a 4.7-inch display in an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section.

An iPhone with rounded edges and a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint is depicted in the shots, which also match previous rumors by placing the power button on the device's right side. The renderings were sourced by Ukranian blog UkrainianiPhone and first noticed by Nowhereelse.fr.

A z-height of 6 millimeters would make the handset 1.6 millimeters slimmer than the already-svelte iPhone 5 series, an impressive accomplishment. The current-generation iPod touch slots in at 6.1 millimeters thick.

The rumor follows a report from earlier this week saying that Apple was having trouble manufacturing batteries thin enough for their new device, though that note was in the context of a larger handset that would sport a 5.5-inch display. No such rumors followed the 4.7-inch variant, and it would be difficult to argue that Apple would make the larger device even thinner than 6 millimeters.

One factor working against the renders' authenticity is the lack of a cutout for Apple's dual-LED TrueTone flash, a problem that has plagued many schematic "leaks" of the iPhone 6. TrueTone is a flagship feature for Apple's iPhone 5s, and it is extremely unlikely that the company would drop it a single generation later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Could the TrueTone dual flash be dropped to save on manufacturing costs? The dual flash would still be available on the "legacy" 5s model.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    And here what it might look in reality. A little too big for me. But nice. I've got a feeling the bezels will indeed be like that. Looks different, recognizable, and good.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42308/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42309/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Could the TrueTone dual flash be dropped to save on manufacturing costs? The dual flash would still be available on the "legacy" 5s model.

I think that's very unlikely!

Wow on AI since 2004 and only 22 comments? :)
  • Reply 4 of 83
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cuello del pollo View Post

So, you'd like Apple to drop a 1 cent LED that increases the quality of photographs.

Why?

Do you really need to save 1 cent?

• Reply 5 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One factor working against the renders' authenticity is the lack of a cutout for Apple's dual-LED TrueTone flash, a problem that has plagued many schematic "leaks" of the iPhone 6. TrueTone is a flagship feature for Apple's iPhone 5s, and it is extremely unlikely that the company would drop it a single generation later.

Separate R, G, and B elements can be fit into a single SMD LED, so it seems possible to create a single LED with two elements.

• Reply 6 of 83
    1.6/7.6 = 21%
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Separate R, G, and B elements can be fit into a single SMD LED, so it seems possible to create a single LED with two elements.

This. TrueTone is a relative godsend on the 5s and it would make no sense to drop it, so some sort of smaller evolution of the dual-LED flash seems likely. What isn't clear is why this wasn't done in the first place...
  • Reply 8 of 83

I'm thinking they are grouping the two flash tones in one circle. Maybe a bullseye? one color in the center and other around it? Or possibly intermixed leds?

• Reply 9 of 83
    This. TrueTone is a relative godsend on the 5s and it would make no sense to drop it, so some sort of smaller evolution of the dual-LED flash seems likely. What isn't clear is why this wasn't done in the first place...

The hole is bigger. Maybe they could fit both in that round shape.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member

If the iPhone is anything close to what the leaks look like I know that I'll be getting 3. I'm going to upgrade my family to this model. It only makes sense for them to go to a design similar to the iPad. 

• Reply 11 of 83
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Hell Yes this is what I an wondering...

iPhone 6 = 6 mm ?

Or at least 6,66 mm :D

There wont be any other oportunity for such equation as iPhone 7 will be even thinner, but the model number will be higher.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    pujones1 wrote: »
    If the iPhone is anything close to what the leaks look like I know that I'll be getting 3. I'm going to upgrade my family to this model. It only makes sense for them to go to a design similar to the iPad. 

That's not similar to the iPad. The bezels are completely original.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Introducing... the iPhoneAir. ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 83
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    About the TrueTone flash. Maybe they're incorporating it into software instead, allowing the camera intelligent white balance capability that knows when a more pleasant warm light balance will enhance a low light photo, without the need for using anything more than a standard LED flash.

I've also noticed on most of these leaked illustrations of the iPhone 6 lately, that the next-gen model seems to be dumping the chamfered edge. Which is a shame, if that's the case because I think it gave the iPhone a real quality classy look.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    clemynx wrote: »
    And here what it might look in reality. A little too big for me. But nice. I've got a feeling the bezels will indeed be like that. Looks different, recognizable, and good.

That looks like a Galaxy S.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    I will be getting 2. My eyes can't stand the small screen, and my wife has already broken her phone by letting the kids dip into the olive oil at the restaurant. I think demand for a big iPhone will be off the charts. We have all been waiting for a phone that is easier to use. This will help a lot with missed key punches and less headaches from reading small print.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Honestly, who's surprised? Were you expecting this?

"The...wait for it... magical  new iPhone 6 is 79% thicker than the previous iPhone and ways exactly 42 pounds, making it the perfect size for Arnold Schwarzenegger."

• Reply 18 of 83
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member
    I would rather Apple keep the same "thickness" as the current generation iPhones, but with 2 day battery life.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

I would rather Apple keep the same "thickness" as the current generation iPhones, but with 2 day battery life.

Most people would... however Apple isn't just a software company, they are a hardware company who's engineering team takes deep pride in making things slimmer; truth be known making things slimmer as an engineer is something to take pride in and is a feat in engineering however from the customer perspective we don't care or necessarily want it. Apple has an arrogance within their engineering because honestly they do have some of the top engineers in the world; this arrogance often leads them to ignoring what might be best for the customer just so they as a company has bragging rights... it's been shown time and time again. This will be no different.

Yup, slimmer and taller, just what people want... a phone that looks like an elongated clown shoe.

• Reply 20 of 83
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

No matter what.............. I'm still getting 3. I'm upgrading all my Apple stuff this year. 4.7 and/or 5.5, iPad Air bezel or not I'm going to have it.