IDC forecasts 'challenging' year for tablets as Apple's iPad continues to lead

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

You know I think this may be true, since IT worker worry about their jobs and MS is sure thing for employment. If more Ipads get deployed into the corporate market these IT works will be out of a job since the support requires for iOS is far less then that of an MS product.

The new COBOL programmer

• Reply 22 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

CALLING ALL CARS. CALLING ALL CARS. 

Can anyone help me find a link to the studies done that show consumers find the storage upgrade pricing of iOS devices reasonable? For the life of me, I can’t find one. Maybe I just don’t know what to search for.

• Reply 23 of 105
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Shipments" not sales.

Estimated shipments not reported shipments or even reported sales!

These numbers are calculated by IDC.

• Reply 24 of 105
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    To be fair to Samsung's tablet units shipped -- they are giving away tablets when you buy a S5, Note 3, subscribe to CableTV deals, etc, etc, etc. It's really not that hard to give away 11M items to the world if you want to.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member

And of course once this suspect information came out AAPL dropped after starting the day off on another charge. Will the SEC ever validate this information and take action against these bogus data collectors or will they continue to line their pockets with Samscum cash?

As for the "other" group, let's try and be honest about what these really are. They aren't in the same bracket as Apple or even the better Samsung equipment so why count them in the same group?

• Reply 26 of 105
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

I bought a factory refurbished Asus MeMO 7" tablet. It kept freezing up and when wake from sleep, touch screen wouldn't work.

I got a replacement and it freezes every 30 minutes.

I just wanted something for reading and websurfing. I don't need the power of an iPad (and I want a cheaper tablet with a good screen).

May go Kindle Fire, may give up and go for the iPad. However, I have a coworker who loves his Kindle Fire and he's an iPhone user.

Depends on your needs. The Kindle Fire has good reviews - when good at what it does.

• Reply 27 of 105
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    [SIZE=4]so the much hyped Fire is a flop. and the much touted Surface is an outright fail. there should be a claim chowder banquet on the tech websites today feasting on the dozens of glowing predictions that were showered upon them both, but i just can't find it. meanwhile tho this will be reported as more proof Apple is doomed, and great new things are coming from Amazon and MS, just wait.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 28 of 105
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

You can goose up the numbers to make it look like the market leader, Apple, is the market loser, but you can't outright lie to your shareholders.

If IDC's numbers were correct, then I guarantee you, Amazon wouldn't be bleeding money, and Samsung's shares wouldn't be taking a hit on continued declining sales and profit.

If IDC were accurate, then Samsung and Amazon would have a much brighter outlook, which they don't right now.

I think they are correct, however, in asserting that tastes are shifting away from tablet and toward phablets.  That's why both Amazon and Apple want to move into this area.

Just a personal POV... to accept or ignore.

• Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

so the much hyped Fire is a flop. and the much touted Surface is an outright fail. there should be a claim chowder banquet on the tech websites today feasting on the dozens of glowing predictions that were showered upon them both, but i just can't find it. meanwhile tho this will be reported as more proof Apple is doomed, and great new things are coming from Amazon and MS, just wait.

Amazon only sells the Fire (at cost to no profit) to get people to buy apps and stream Prime. Whether that bad hardware actually sells or not is no big thing to them, especially since you can get the same Amazon apps on other Android tablets.

The Fire TV is already a bigger success than the tablets ever were. We will see if their smartphone makes a dent also. But ultimately Amazon is like Google: they don't "need" their hardware to sell or succeed since their primary business is elsewhere. And even Samsung: they are a hardware company, but they could stop making tablets and smartphones tomorrow and still rake in billions. So Apple has competition, but no direct competition instead of the companies that primarily sell mobile devices (and are going out of business one by one because they can't keep up with Apple and Samsung). This includes Microsoft, still primarily a software and services company whose main problem is an unwillingless to just abandon Windows already. (Plus they do make money off hardware with the XBox, a success that they have strangely been unable to leverage.)

• Reply 30 of 105
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Windows tablets were essentially a non-factor, though IDC cited that some devices like the Asus T100 have become "sleeper hits" for customers looking for devices that are "good enough."

Small share aside, that doesn't sound like a non-factor to me.

""Although its share of the market remains small, Windows devices continue to gain traction thanks to sleeper hits like the Asus T100, whose low cost and 2-in-1 form factor appeal to those looking for something that's 'good enough'."" IDC

• Reply 31 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Wow only 1,000,000 Kindles.  Talk about utter FAIL.  Those tablets have great screens and internals and are CHEAP.  Yet they can't even sell them at a loss.  What those idiots at Amazon don't realize is ECO-SYSTEM and APPS make a tablet.  Not resolution and non-stop ads.

And they want to enter the smartphone space?  Good luck Amazon.

The Fire is much better than most other Android tablets. My sister purchased 3 against my advice to get iPads, and I was surprised at how nice they were. Lightyears better than the crappy Nexus 7 I bought and have since replaced with a iPad mini.
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

If IDC's numbers were correct, then I guarantee you, Amazon wouldn't be bleeding money, and Samsung's shares wouldn't be taking a hit on continued declining sales and profit.

If IDC were accurate, then Samsung and Amazon would have a much brighter outlook, which they don't right now.

I think they are correct, however, in asserting that tastes are shifting away from tablet and toward phablets.  That's why both Amazon and Apple want to move into this area.

Just a personal POV... to accept or ignore.

"You can goose up the numbers to make it look like the market leader, Apple, is the market loser, but you can't outright lie to your shareholders."

That is not their intent. All they are doing is listing tablet shipments, not sales.

"If IDC's numbers were correct, then I guarantee you, Amazon wouldn't be bleeding money, and Samsung's shares wouldn't be taking a hit on continued declining sales and profit."

I can guarantee you that Kindle is not the reason why Amazon is "bleeding money" (actually they aren't ... posting small profits isn't "bleeding money"). Samsung's declining sales and profits are mainly due to the lags in the high-end smartphones, which everyone, including Samsung, acknowledges. However, Samsung's profits are nothing to sneeze at, plus their lower sales has as much to do with competition like Xiaomi and Sony selling midrange smartphones in Asia as it does increased sales of Apple products (Apple's large increase in Japan notwithstanding).

"I think they are correct, however, in asserting that tastes are shifting away from tablet and toward phablets. That's why both Amazon and Apple want to move into this area."

Thus far, Amazon is only going to sell a 4.7 inch smartphone with a case designed to make the device just a little bit bigger than an I-Phone, and a 4 inch smartphone. They aren't going the phablet route as of yet, likely because they know that a phablet would absolutely rout their Kindle Fire HDX. Amazon's big marketing angle for their phones is going to be the data plan, not the hardware anyway.

For the future, I am interested in the growth of Asus and Acer. They are both using Intel chips on tablets that are cheap but not bottom feeders ($125-$200). Asus in particular has a 7 inch tablet running on a 64 bit quad core Intel chip for $150. It will be interesting to see if the market will reward budget tablets with decent hardware. If they do, it will be at Samsung's expense.

• Reply 33 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I bought a Kindle Fire. 

Don't do it.  PERIOD.  Trust me don't do it.  The $100 you may save is not worth the heartache you will get owning that POS.

Unless you bought the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, I think that the price difference is a bit more than $100!

• Reply 34 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    drblank wrote: »

Holy crap Batman! I have never seen the likes. So this load of junk, in total is being included in statistics regarding Apple iPad sales? That is like discussing Mercedes and BMW cars and including subcompact cars sold in Asia in the overall sales percentages.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The hardware is decent.  But its still made out of cheap azz plastic and creeks after 6 months.  The bezels on it are also very ugly.

But the real difference is software and apps.  There are so many apps that are not on the Kindle store its not even funny.  Also Amazon has a bad habbit of not supporting Kindle Fires after 12 months.  I owned mine for 12 months and I no longer could update the OS.  So many of my apps no longer worked. 

My sister isn't a heavy user. She uses mostly to read, and she loves the ability to borrow books. I suggested a eInk one but she wanted the ability to browse the internet. So far it's been good for her usage.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Has any of IDC's forecast been right?
  • Reply 37 of 105
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... while Amazon and its Kindle Fire line took fifth with 1 million for the quarter.

Wow.  Must be one of those "only popular in the holiday quarter" gift items?

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The rise of large-screen phones and consumers who are holding on to their existing tablets for ever longer periods of time were both contributing factors ..."

People probably don't upgrade iPads as often as iPhones.  No 2-year contract.

Little carrier presence at all, really.

• Reply 38 of 105
    Anyone recall IDC data were presented as a lie during the Apple/Samscum 2nd trial? I bet even Samscum want to say that if Apple suggest the jury to use this Google/Samscum paid data house in calculate the damages
  • Reply 39 of 105
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    People probably don't upgrade iPads as often as iPhones.  No 2-year contract.
    Little carrier presence at all, really.

Definitely the case for me... I've upgraded my iPhone on contract renewal every time so far (3G -> 4 -> 5 and will most likely get a 6 when it gets released later this year) but I'm still on my iPad 3 and until things start to fail to work on it or it gets dropped from the latest version of iOS support I've got no real intention to upgrade. I jumped from the iPad 2 to 3 after 12 months for the retina screen but since then the 3 has done and continues to do everything I need from a tablet.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    lfa551lfa551 Posts: 2member

The sales numbers are not a true telling of the whole story. Tablets are not phones that are replaced every year or two. A tablet most likely has a 3 to 5 year cycle. I know this is not an original point, however i feel it is the truth. Apple on top of this makes a high quality product that just lasts or dare i say "it just works".