IDC forecasts 'challenging' year for tablets as Apple's iPad continues to lead

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2014
Though its total shipments fell year over year last quarter, Apple and its iPad still accounts for about a third of all tablets pushed to market last quarter, though research firm IDC has predicted overall tablet growth will be slow throughout 2014.

The latest data from IDC issued on Thursday shows that tablet shipments grew just 3.9 percent year over year in the first quarter of 2014. Apple already reported its own iPad shipments of 16.4 million last week, a year-over-year decline of 16.1 percent that the company said was largely due to channel inventory fluctuations.

IDC estimates that Apple's iPad accounted for 32.5 percent of all tablets shipped in the March quarter, good for first place. Samsung is estimated at second place with 11.2 million units shipped, giving it a 22.3 percent share and 32 percent year over year growth.

From there the competition thins, with Asus taking a distant third on shipments of 2.5 million tablets. Lenovo was fourth with 2.1 million units, while Amazon and its Kindle Fire line took fifth with 1 million for the quarter.

iPad mini

Total tablet shipments for the quarter are estimated to have been 50.4 million units, up 3.9 percent from the 48.6 million shipped during the same period a year ago. IDC has predicted that 2014 will prove to be a "challenging year" for the tablet market.

"The rise of large-screen phones and consumers who are holding on to their existing tablets for ever longer periods of time were both contributing factors to a weaker-than-anticipated quarter for tablets and 2-in-1s," said Tom Mainelli, IDC program vice president of Devices and Displays. "In addition, commercial growth has not been robust enough to offset the slowing of consumer shipments."

Though Apple is the market leader in terms of hardware, on the software front IDC declared Android the leader, accounting for about two-thirds of tablets shipped during the three-month span. Windows tablets were essentially a non-factor, though IDC cited that some devices like the Asus T100 have become "sleeper hits" for customers looking for devices that are "good enough."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    dipdog3dipdog3 Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple is the market leader in terms of hardware, on the software front IDC declared Android the leader, accounting for about two-thirds of tablets shipped during the three-month span.

Android is the leader in tablet software??? What??

Has IDC ever used an Android tablet?

• Reply 2 of 105
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I would like to see an iPad that can actually be rolled or folded.

• Reply 3 of 105
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    IDC: We exist to make everyone except Apple feel like they are somehow winning.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like the Kindle Fire is a total bust.
  • Reply 5 of 105

No individual breakout for the mighty Microsoft tablet sales.

• Reply 6 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

I think they are discussing which OS had the more unit sales, since those other competitors were selling both Windows and Android tablets, they combine all of the sales by OS (software) and I think that's what he means by when he said "Android is the leader in tablet software?.

• Reply 7 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Remove OTHERS from the table (those are $50 tablets) and half Samsungs tablets (no way in HELL then even sold 5 million tabs)

Apple still has 60% unit share
    75% revenue share
    85% profit share

Right, what the hell are these 'others'? Mattel toy tablets? According to this table these 'others' are making billions and we don't even know who they are?
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Right, what the hell are these 'others'? Mattel toy tablets?

No, those cheap one's that sell for $60 to $100

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Tablets/Cheap_Android_Tablets/

• Reply 9 of 105
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

There is no way in FUK that Samsung sold 11,000,000 tablets in Q1'2014

I travel all over, and see maybe 1 samsung tablet for every 30 iPads. I pay attention to this stuff. No fucking clue how these #s would even be possible, or who the **** is buying them, and where. 

• Reply 11 of 105
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Definitely not the year of the tablet anymore. So glad I bought a Retina MBP instead of a iPad Air this year. A reall workhorse. My iPad 3 works just fine at 2 years old. Not much difference between it and the Air in what it can accomplish.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

"Though Apple is the market leader in terms of hardware, on the software front IDC declared Android the leader, accounting for about two-thirds of tablets shipped during the three-month span."

I can't make sense of this sentence.  :???:

• Reply 13 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

"Though Apple is the market leader in terms of hardware, on the software front IDC declared Android the leader, accounting for about two-thirds of tablets shipped during the three-month span."

I can't make sense of this sentence.  :???:

Apple sold the most tablets out of each of the mfg, but Android sales were higher in the number of units, but there were several companies that were selling Android tablets, so they added up all of the Android based tablets and that was more than Apple by themselves.  Yeah, I think it wasn't written very clearly.  They could have done a better job explaining the situation.

• Reply 14 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think they are discussing which OS had the more unit sales, since those other competitors were selling both Windows and Android tablets, they combine all of the sales by OS (software) and I think that's what he means by when he said "Android is the leader in tablet software?.

"Shipments" not sales.

• Reply 15 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Definitely not the year of the tablet anymore. So glad I bought a Retina MBP instead of a iPad Air this year. A reall workhorse. My iPad 3 works just fine at 2 years old. Not much difference between it and the Air in what it can accomplish.

I don't get it- you were debating betweeen an iPad and a retina MBP? Those choices couldn't be more different. You don't buy an iPad based on "if its year of the tablet", you buy one if it suits your needs. It's kind of messed up that you're glad you bought a MBP based on sales charts. 

And yes, the iPad 3 is still fine. That doesn't mean there's "not much difference" between that an an iPad Air. There's actually a masisve difference, as far as hardware performance and size/weight are considered. A much bigger difference than equivalent MBP changes in that timespan. 

• Reply 16 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Shipments" not sales.

I'm sure a lot of those "shipments' are in inventories at various resellers.  :-) but if the mfg sold some to a reseller, then it's the reseller's inventory and the mfg SOLD them to the reseller.   So the mfg claims it as a SOLD item or SHIPPED them as kind of the same thing.  Apple has inventories in resellers' inventories that haven't been sold to the end user.  It's kind of hard to calculate exactly how many have been sold to an end user because these mfg sell direct and to resellers, but I don't think IDC has double checked through the reseller channel, since many are small stores independently owned and do not report unit sale.

• Reply 17 of 105
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Everyone should go back and read this, for some crow eating:

http://readwrite.com/2013/02/04/200-million-workers-want-windows-8-tablets-not-ipads#awesm=~oD1yaaipuo1XvE

You know I think this may be true, since IT worker worry about their jobs and MS is sure thing for employment. If more Ipads get deployed into the corporate market these IT workers will be out of a job since the support requires for iOS is far less then that of an MS product.

• Reply 18 of 105
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

No, those cheap one's that sell for $60 to $100

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Tablets/Cheap_Android_Tablets/

My in-laws got one of these for going to visit a time share sales pitch. It did not work, could not connect to the Internet since it said it fail to authenticate, could not figure it out and it now sits in a drawer and they now use an Ipad the kids bought them for Christmas, and all they wanted to do was read their gmail and surf the web and it failed miserably at that 

• Reply 19 of 105
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Where is Google's Nexus 7?  Is Google the cheater actually selling Asus tablet as its own?  But Asus market share also declined despite being promoted by Google?

• Reply 20 of 105
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

It's the classic,  OEM vs OS battlefront.... Same song different verse of:  "Apple is the 3rd leading PC maker, but Microsoft sells 92% of the PC OS licenses...' (2005).

The problem with Android is that it's not an 'ecosystem' like Windows was (welcome to the fact that most of your 'computing' is done at the other end of an HTTP/HTTPS  pipe.)  Apple even more than MS back in the day, sells a consumer solution.   Android... well it sells an embedded OS that you may or may not use the built in interfaces or ecosystems.