Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Upstage Apple like with there dumb watch! LOL! Apple is going to make them look pitiful with the products they release. And after Apple does release its own stuff you watch within 6 months you will see a total redesign of Samsung's products that will look exactly like Apple's.
    Just like after the iPhone came out there were none with touch displays, after Apple though everyones went to touch displays, well except maybe Blackberry which ignored there doom until it was to late.
  • Reply 22 of 118
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Truly embarrassing company.

Agreed, samsung sux!

• Reply 23 of 118
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

All this does is confirm Apple is still the top dog, the one to beat, the one people pay attention to. That Samsung feels it just has to announce something to upstage Apple says it all, that they’re the also-ran, not the one the industry follows, not the one people look to for leadership.

• Reply 24 of 118
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member

I was referring to "S Health" and the rumoured Healthbook in iOS 8.

• Reply 25 of 118
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

WRONG! Apple's App Store was the first with the health app

I was referring to "S Health" and the rumoured Healthbook in iOS 8. Sorry if i was unclear.

• Reply 26 of 118
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

I don't care about who's first.  I care about who's best.

• Reply 27 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but

Shut up.

…many could argue Apple is copying Samsung.. 

They’d be idiots and wrong, but sure, they could “argue” it.

• Reply 28 of 118
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member

I hope Apple waits another few years before they release a wearable device. Just like they did with the iPhone and the iPad. Wait until the market stagnates, understand what works and doesn't work, then release a badass device that no one expected. Boom!

As for Samsung, they want to ride Apple's media hype and hope to always be mentioned "... but a few days before Apple's conference", they're such misers.

• Reply 29 of 118
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Samsung is an embarrassing company.

They aren't like Wayne Gretzky: skating to where the puck will be.

They instead try to go to where they guess Wayne Gretzky is going without even seeing the puck.
  • Reply 30 of 118
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    Quote:

I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

"many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..."

Another way of looking at it is that "many" haven't a clue about how products are created. Samsung prefers throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks and then advertising where that wall is, or better, paying for buzz. In the case of "Gear", I think that Samsung bypassed the wall test entirely and went with buzz straight off.

• Reply 31 of 118
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Lame. Health is interesting, but it's not worth an entire announcement event all on its own.
  • Reply 32 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Why do companies continuously do this to themselves? It will get overshadowed by the hype around WWDC and completely buried once WWDC happens. Why not just release it this week and have a month to own the news instead of the lead story for 2 days if they're lucky?
  • Reply 33 of 118
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    wdowell wrote: »
    I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..
    You seem to forget that as an Apple partner they know some things and if suppliers are leaking info to the media then what stops them from sharing even more and first to a customer with deep pockets. Apple doesn't have to announce product for their competitors to know what they are planning. Samsung doesn't have that problem. Isn't it odd that the only time Samsung and Google have special events, they are always scheduled to be a few days before an already scheduled Apple event? And why does it always involve whatever Apple is highly rumored to focus on in there release. There are 49 weeks in the year that don't have Apple events, but by some coincidence these companies can only do so when Apple does.
  • Reply 34 of 118
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I really hate those Gear Fit devices. Even with the pictures you have to twist your head to a stupidly uncomfortable angle to see the screens.

I'd never buy one for that reason and that reason alone, regardless of who they're made by.

For what it's worth, the latest update for the Gear Fit introduced a vertical screen orientation. So that problem is solved, it does have other issues though (like the heart-rate monitor not being accurate enough).

http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/20140410_115625.jpg

• Reply 35 of 118
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    chandra69 wrote: »

"I love my apple gadgets...."   this is how you started.
    "Apple is copying Samsung."  this is how you ended.

You wanted to say the last line. But you started with the first line only to avoid people here to yell at you! :D

LOL. Honestly, I wouldn't be writing this on my iMac and listening to music on my iPhone now (and charging my iPad the other side of the room) if i didn't love apple. but you make a good point - I was trying to defuse potential accusations that i was some sort of Samsung lurker! manifestly it didn't work :)

Frankly, I say: let Samsung do their announcement whenever. It shouldn't be a cause of hysteria and silly posts that pretend to guess that we know 1) what apple is going to do and 2) What samsung's motivation - none of us KNOW anything. Above all: the products will stand the test of whether they're any good and measure up in anyway to what Apple subsequently announces.  I doubt it..  but competition is a good thing. 

I do think it safe to assume that the date and location were not chosen after years of secret work and building something that they know to themselves to be insanely great and to be unveiled at the largest venue available near Samsung's global headquarters. Apple on the other hand does just that.
  • Reply 36 of 118
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

They aren't like Wayne Gretzky: skating to where the puck will be.

They instead try to go to where they guess Wayne Gretzky is going without even seeing the puck.

Samsung is what mad men is all about.  all sizzle.  no steak.  (all hat...   no cattle).

I'm looking at Samsung's actions as so old school in their approach(es).

Now...  I'm certain that if you're seeking FDA (or EU) approval for your device/app that runs on a mobile device,  you've talked to Samsung (and Apple, and likely Microsoft).  And Samsung threw money at you to some sort of 'first release' opportunity. Healthcare is always printing money, especially in the worlds of socialized medicine and focusing your insured base on wellness (know your health).   Everyone knows this.   However, (tossing another sports analogy), Samsung sees a sprint, where a 5 day headstart could define a winner.   Apple sees this not even as a Marathon... but a series of Marathons.

Samsung, still aligned in divisions who inter compete for resources in the CEO's suite, is all about sales and profits.   Apple is all about 'defining' consumer experience.  And Apple in June isn't focused on July... It's actually looking about January.

• Reply 37 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    dav wrote: »
        Quote:

Thirded.

I second your third.
  • Reply 38 of 118
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Please go read the reviews of their "health" products. They are extremely poor quality, with the sensors giving results which are widely off the mark, and the apps being pieces of junk (e.g. The watch won't upload pedometer data to the smartphone's health app because it has its own app).
  • Reply 39 of 118
    jhromerorjhromeror Posts: 46member
    Quote:

"Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung.."

It is not about Apple announcing anything. They clearly have a strategy since they started partnering with Nike, then it evolved with the M5. They can't announce because for sure the are looking to partner with trusted brands in this space (which leads me to believe this is why Nike is reshaping their strategy) and for selected app developers to work on new APIs, sensors and services (most likely how the Health app got leaked).

Samsung on the other side is not partnering with or waiting for anyone, the will present something without the depth that will end up in a spec list. But as most things Samsung does on its own it will be a gimmick that might turn your head once, differentiate for a very short time and end up as background noise. 

• Reply 40 of 118
    wisdomseedwisdomseed Posts: 141member

You think they would be tired of this by now. Stop trying to out do Apple, stop trying to jump in front of what you think Apple is going to do. Do what Samsung do. Oh wait, that is what Samsung do.