Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

South Korea isn't all bad (some NSFW):

(1.9 billion views)

And they try to be everywhere to cover all possibilities. It's possible to get a hit that way but as their attempt at a fingerprint sensor and watch showed, if you don't do it right then it doesn't have the same impact.

Samsung makes good components - display panels, SSDs, CPUs, memory, which is why Apple uses them but they are shameless about copying product ideas.

But they should feel *shameful* about what they produce.

Probably the CEO of that outfit tells everyone what to do, even though they don't have the opportunity to put out a product like the iPhone 5.

Even my former partner, who hates Apple for some reason, got sick of her Samsung phone and got an iPhone. Yeah. And her husband who has been self-described Apple-hater, bought an iPhone, too. ("Just for the games, though...")

• Reply 82 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

LG makes great washers and dryers. I wouldn't discount them.

An American company has a cheap knockoff of the LG washers and dryers, but they are just a little cheaper and crap (belt-driven washers instead of a direct motor). I forgot the name of the company, but they almost look like LG W/D.

Let's stop stereotyping entire nations.

Better yet, let's buy the best product out there.

I like LG as well- but unfortunately, Samsung and the corruption in the majority of South Korean government are hand in hand.

Say Samsung made the best product out there- I wouldn't buy it because it doesn't fit with my morals- sorry.  I care about both the product, and the person/company to which I'm giving my money.

• Reply 83 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    South Korea isn't all bad (some NSFW):

(1.9 billion views)

I don't want to watch them all, just tell me the ones that are NSFW so I can watch those.
  • Reply 84 of 118
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    red oak wrote: »
    I second that - truly embarrassing.  I'll add that the company is also corrupt and has no soul or ethics  

Frankly, it has turned me off to all South Korean products 
    Could not agree more.
    Not only samdung has destroyed their image with this copycat and totally thuggish unethical distasteful approach , they have have managed to ruin south Koreas image all together.

The south Korean government would be wise to distance itself from this corrupt corp. But that will be hard as samdung is a huge political force in south Korea !

PS. Gangnam style Rocks though !
  • Reply 85 of 118
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    wdowell wrote: »
    I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

Apple users do not use affectations like:
    "Apple folk"
    "Apple gadgets"

Concern trolls use affectations like:
    "I am an Apple fan" or "I love my Apple gadgets" followed by "but honestly" or "but frankly".
  • Reply 86 of 118
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

But this is the wrong metaphor. To "upstage" means to manipulate the situation so your competitor is poorly seen by the audience.  Theatrically, "upstage" is the back part of the stage, farther away from the audience. An actor speaking back there forces the actors who are downstage to turn around to speak to them, thus turning their back to the audience.  In the case of WWDC, Samsung going first merely means that the audience will forget about them as soon as the subsequent Apple announcements. In effect, it prepares the audience to be wowed by Apple (assuming they have an equal or better product).  It would be more accurate to describe Apple as upstaging Sammy.  

But a more fitting description of this would be that Sammy is trying to beat Apple to the stage. To get there first. And that might be what the author thought he was saying.

• Reply 87 of 118
    But this is the wrong metaphor. To "upstage" means to manipulate the situation so your competitor is poorly seen by the audience.  Theatrically, "upstage" is the back part of the stage, farther away from the audience. An actor speaking back there forces the actors who are downstage to turn around to speak to them, thus turning their back to the audience.  In the case of WWDC, Samsung going first merely means that the audience will forget about them as soon as the subsequent Apple announcements. In effect, it prepares the audience to be wowed by Apple (assuming they have an equal or better product).  It would be more accurate to describe Apple as upstaging Sammy.  

But a more fitting description of this would be that Sammy is trying to beat Apple to the stage. To get there first. And that might be what the author thought he was saying.

I think the verb fits here.

upstage
    verb
    • divert attention from (someone) toward oneself; outshine.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    dav wrote: »
        Quote:
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/179024/samsung-hoping-to-upstage-apple-with-health-related-event-5-days-before-wwdc#post_2526106 layout=inline]
    ireland wrote: »
    Truly embarrassing company.
    Quote:
    [/CONTENTEMBED]
    red oak wrote: »

I second that - truly embarrassing.  I'll add that the company is also corrupt and has no soul or ethics

Frankly, it has turned me off to all South Korean products

Thirded.

Yup...I'm in.
  • Reply 89 of 118
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ascii wrote: »
    wdowell wrote: »
    I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..
    Apple is not often first to market, but when they come they come original. Given this track record, you can't argue Apple is copying without first seeing what they've done.

^^^
    Succinct and well said!
  • Reply 90 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Tim Cook:  "Introducing the new iLoop™... and hoooooo-boy, have we patented it."

• Reply 91 of 118
    jkichline wrote: »
    Personally I think this is great news. Why? Because it will give Tim Cook and others something to poke fun at when the new Apple product totally rocks Samsung's world. Remember 2010 with Steve Ballmer prancing around on stage with an HP Slate tablet to be "first" before the iPad blew up the tech world? How'd that work out for Microsoft?  Apple just laughed at them in the face and came out with the right product... not one rushed to market to try to beat Apple.

As far as those saying that Samsung would be first with some health-related event... Apple's been working on this for a long time before it was even on anyone else's radar. In the U.S. (a country that values intellectual property laws, ahem... South Korea) it's first to file as far as patents go. So good luck if you come out with something you didn't bother to patent. Oh and Samsung? Apple's patents ARE worth the money. Just saying.

tundraboy wrote: »
    I don't care about who's first.  I care about who's best.

He, who laughs last -- laughs loudest!
  • Reply 92 of 118

In my experience he who laughs last probably didn't get the joke and is just laughing to fit in.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    I heard a rumor that Apple is entering the Zamboni market and will make a big splash with the NHL...better get on this one, Samsung!

Unfortunately, Apple will need to announce their Zamboni in Los Angeles -- rather than San Jose ... Sigh :\
  • Reply 94 of 118
    rs9 wrote: »
    Samsung could't upstage Big Top Pee-Wee (Pee Wee Herman) if it tried.

Are you suggesting that Sammy should take in a movie?
  • Reply 95 of 118
    solipsismx wrote: »

In my experience he who laughs last probably didn't get the joke and is just laughing to fit in.

Joke Punchlines:

"By his ears"

"That's three of them"

"Nobody can eat that much ice cream"

Song Lyrics:

"like a one-eyed cat peeping' in a seafood store"
  • Reply 96 of 118
    zerobim08zerobim08 Posts: 75member
    Apple is damn slow. Galaxy S4 already has all the health sensors built in and an health app. S5 expands that with heart rate monitor. Starting from Ip5s the whatever coprocessor can only measure steps but can't do temperature and humidity like s4 which came out much earlier.

Gear Wearable is now in its second generations. It is so laughable seeing some ifans here still think Samsung copied apple when it seems like apple gonna be 1.5 to 2 years behind.

In reality apple is the one who will copy since they have 2 years to look at what samsung did and adapt its strategy before coming out with something.
  • Reply 97 of 118
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    So they pull a real ____ move again. Like when they announced the s5 in Steve Jobs Birthday. And they say they have a heart rate sensor on the a5 when it's just a flashlight and an extra camera. Wow! They can cheat people and what they have left if there customers. Talk about false advertising. And The iPhone could measure you're heart rate for years
  • Reply 98 of 118
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    bobdylan wrote: »
    this reminds me of when Ballmer had an event right before the apple keynote to promote the HP Slate and a lot of other windows "slates" because the analysts thought apple will call the yet-unreleased iPad .. iSlate. And then that same tablet went on to sell a couple of thousands while Apple sold millions. That event was truly embarassing and perhaps the Samsung event will resemble it.
    Actually, the HP Slate running a Microsoft OS never came to be... it was a non-starter; dead in the cradle; aborted at the starting gate, an evolutionary dead-end... the ark sailed without it... Uncle Fester was left standing at the altar, and no one cared.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    pfisher wrote: »

Even my former partner, who hates Apple for some reason, got sick of her Samsung phone and got an iPhone. Yeah. And her husband who has been self-described Apple-hater, bought an iPhone, too. ("Just for the games, though...")

Sounds like she just into an "upgrade" mode and couldn't stop... :-)
  • Reply 100 of 118
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerobim08 View Post

Apple is damn slow. Galaxy S4 already has all the health sensors built in and an health app. S5 expands that with heart rate monitor. Starting from Ip5s the whatever coprocessor can only measure steps but can't do temperature and humidity like s4 which came out much earlier.

Gear Wearable is now in its second generations. It is so laughable seeing some ifans here still think Samsung copied apple when it seems like apple gonna be 1.5 to 2 years behind.

In reality apple is the one who will copy since they have 2 years to look at what samsung did and adapt its strategy before coming out with something.

There is a difference between slow and methodical. Apple is the latter. Apple nurtures and refines their ideas and makes sure everything works and is in place before they decide to release a new feature, product or platform. Samsung takes a proverbial dump into their idea toilet, flushes it, reaches in and grabs whatever turd they can and flings it against the wall. ANY company is capable of doing the same thing. Fortunately for us, Apple has taste.

And I really don't understand this mentality that just because a company has a product on the market for years that it is somehow impervious to being outclassed by a newer product? Just as Apple demonstrated with media players and smartphones, they'll step out way beyond whatever's on the market when they debut their own "wearable" products, if they ever do.

Furthermore, please explain all these "health" sensors in the S4? The only superfluous sensors I've seen is the useless "moisture/temperature" sensor that supposedly detects your "Comfort Level"? Whatever that is? Sounds as useful as a mood ring. Oh, and a barometer - for measuring air pressure!? (I suppose you shove your phone up your butt and it can determine your stress level?) And by the way, the S5 uses the camera as a heart rate monitor, the same can be done with the iPhone camera. In fact there have been apps for iOS out for a while now.