Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Samsung is an embarrassing company.

They aren't like Wayne Gretzky: skating to where the puck will be.

They instead try to go to where they guess Wayne Gretzky is going without even seeing the puck.

All I can think of is Jimmy Paek whenever I read this...

• Reply 42 of 118
    davendaven Posts: 697member
    I have to give Samedung credit. They already succeeded... at looking desperate.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member

It really does not matter what, when and how Samsung does this.  Apple will roll their solution out that a appeals to the masses like they always have.  It will be tied into the iTunes eco system which is the foundation for everything Apple does.  This is why Apple never needs to be first to release.

• Reply 44 of 118
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    It's hard for an industrial behemoth like Samsung to create an image of being cool (as defined by outsider status). Like your dad using current hip-hop slang which just makes him seem a little ridiculous. Apple, while big, is much more narrowly focused, thus seeming like the David in this fight. Thanks, Samsung, for unwittingly being the new Microsoft for Apple to play off of.
  • Reply 45 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I heard a rumor that Apple is entering the Zamboni market and will make a big splash with the NHL...better get on this one, Samsung!
  • Reply 46 of 118
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Samsung do refrigerators. "We OWN you, Apple, in kitchen appliances!"
  • Reply 47 of 118
    Why did this web page auto-open the App Store to some game on my iPhone. Is that some form of advertising or is it a glitch on my phone?
  • Reply 48 of 118
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

Back before the iPod there were MP3 players on the market.  Before the iPhone there were phones that purported to surf the web, or was that the WAP?  Lol!  And before the iPad there were tablets, mostly being used in warehouses to count inventory.  Apple has this nasty habit of releasing products, second, third, a year late, two years late, and too expensive for some people's taste.  But once those Apple products arrive, it seems everything that had come before is soon forgotten.  This time will be no different.

• Reply 49 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by NostraThomas View Post

Why did this web page auto-open the App Store to some game on my iPhone. Is that some form of advertising or is it a glitch on my phone?

There are ads that tear you out of Safari with a forced iTunes link, but they seem to only work on mobile devices.

Report it to Kasper and hopefully he’ll get rid of it.

• Reply 50 of 118
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Upstage Apple like with there dumb watch! LOL! Apple is going to make them look pitiful with the products they release. And after Apple does release its own stuff you watch within 6 months you will see a total redesign of Samsung's products that will look exactly like Apple's.

Just like after the iPhone came out there were none with touch displays, after Apple though everyones went to touch displays, well except maybe Blackberry which ignored there doom until it was to late.

Hah! I can't wait for another DED Before/After graphic.

His one on Samsung phones before/after the iPhone is a classic.

• Reply 51 of 118
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    So how many health related patents has Samsung come up with? How many medical engineers and doctors have they hired? Oh wait, they don't have to...
  • Reply 52 of 118
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    red oak wrote: »
    Frankly, it has turned me off to all South Korean products

South Korea isn't all bad (some NSFW):

(1.9 billion views)

jameskatt2 wrote:
    They aren't like Wayne Gretzky: skating to where the puck will be.

They instead try to go to where they guess Wayne Gretzky is going without even seeing the puck.

And they try to be everywhere to cover all possibilities. It's possible to get a hit that way but as their attempt at a fingerprint sensor and watch showed, if you don't do it right then it doesn't have the same impact.

Samsung makes good components - display panels, SSDs, CPUs, memory, which is why Apple uses them but they are shameless about copying product ideas.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What, is Samsung gonna update their shitty watch AGAIN? They already have like 3 versions, plus that shitty bracelet thing. Why can't they release something good initially, instead of spamming the industry with an updated version every couple months? All this shit does is turn consumers off these products, and decreases their trust with technology.
  • Reply 54 of 118
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    "A conversation around health" is the least sexy sounding thing ever! It sounds like I am tuning into a round table discussion about generalized health topics.

Whoever wrote and approved that needs to work in their skills. You want to excite tantalize and entice not turn off people.

Samsung is a great manufacturer and sales company. Why can't they just hire away Apple employees or other people to think of their own new awesome products?

Whether or not it's justified their reputation is overwheingly that of a copy cat who increasingly copies the cool kid in order to be popular.

5S and S5? Really?
  • Reply 55 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"A conversation around health" is the least sexy sounding thing ever! It sounds like I am tuning into a round table discussion about generalized health topics.

Whoever wrote and approved that needs to work in their skills. You want to excite tantalize and entice not turn off people.

Who wrote it?  Samsung did- duh.  Just a copy of "Let's talk iPhone" or the numerous one-liner invites Apple has done throughout the years.

But in typical Samsung fashion, it doesn't come close to being as well executed as Apple.

• Reply 56 of 118
    neo-techneo-tech Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

All this does is confirm Apple is still the top dog, the one to beat, the one people pay attention to. That Samsung feels it just has to announce something to upstage Apple says it all, that they’re the also-ran, not the one the industry follows, not the one people look to for leadership.

Agreed. 100%

• Reply 57 of 118
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Samsung do refrigerators. "We OWN you, Apple, in kitchen appliances!"

If they got their act together, building an IoT's in the home is a good thing.   I can think of some coolness... "Do I have beer in the fridge?"   And a PTZ camera scans your fridge for beer.   From your phone, tablet, tv... "Is my laundry load done?  is are the clothes in the dryer dry?"  These are things Samsung 'could' integrate into their world.... but because they are 10 different companies, not gonna happen.

But that would take more than 24 months of planning, and in most companies, thinking 9 months ahead on product is a death sentence.

It's like AirPlay for Apple.  it took 2 years for that to evolve around the product set.   Probably 2 more years for it to refine.   Buy then, advices and Apple TV are 4-8X more powerful, 'ac' networking is fully fleshed out (10x more network), I can see iBeacon technology moving into the home, and the functionality becomes ubiquity.   

Ob Health thing... you walk by your kitchen cabinet at 8am.   Your phone 'reminds' you to take your meds.  You walk away... It BEEPS you to GET BACK and TAKE YOUR MEDS.... (basically reminders plus iBeacon).  If you don't, you get a call from your 'Nice Nurse' who calls you and reminds you to take your meds...   and that friendly voice is heeded ("I like that nurse.... she always calls me and checks up on me").   In a future world, the med bottle is iConnected, as is a monitor to see if your BP, HR, hopefully even drug blood levels are within norms.     as 20-40 somethings we think this is silly... but taking care of my MiL, that was exactly the sort of thing that pushed her to full care (forgetting to take her meds).  So now insurance/medicare are paying parts of 18,000/year for effectively someone to remind her to take her pills and eat.   Something that could have been delayed for 3-5 years.

An App.  iBeacon, an FDA approved app.  something on the skin monitoring her (iWatch? or something an iDevice talks to).  Probably $200 in cost Insurance companies/gov't pay for it ($200 vs $18,000...), because it reduces acute care demands dramatically.   multiple by 500 million people in Europe and US who fall under socialized medicine are over 60 years old.   Looks to me about a 10-15B a year market.   

Can Samsung do that?

• Reply 58 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

The invitation looks very dull.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I agree. Very poor design for an invitation or even an ad. All black background is awful, especially if your topic is health related, you would want to have a bright, clean, sanitary look. Then there is the all caps, set solid headline, very ugly. The wavy stuff at the bottom might look ok on white but simply extra crap on the page just for decoration, useless. Formal invitation to follow - what a joke. The whole style of the artwork is dreadful. What is wrong with them? They should have just copied Apple's invitations.

• Reply 59 of 118
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Truly embarrassing company.

Almost like this is a game to them....one I hope they lose very badly. I wonder if they lose this case if they'll be like they are now or if they'll put their tail between their legs and no longer do these things?

I don't really know what they're going to get out of this anyways. As soon as WWDC happens and Apple announces their stuff, everyone will forget what Samsung did a week prior to WWDC. Microsoft used to do this all the time too and it never worked so I'm not sure why Samsung will think it works for them. 

• Reply 60 of 118
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What, is Samsung gonna update their shitty watch AGAIN? They already have like 3 versions, plus that shitty bracelet thing. Why can't they release something good initially, instead of spamming the industry with an updated version every couple months? All this shit does is turn consumers off these products, and decreases their trust with technology.

Hey, don't knock it. Samsung is updating it will Health features !

I'm thinking - a stopwatch (with alarm)
    A pedometer with gps (so you know how far you have walked.)
    A calculator (for working out health related math)
    A torch (for nighttime jogging)
    A fully touch based screen ( for viewing heathy websites - very small)
    Waterproof for swimming, surfing etc.
    A camera for those exciting 'surfing action' stills.
    Tough plastic case for danger sports, rock climbing, base jumping etc.

I'm sure there is more those Samsung genius' have thought of, the sky is the limit!
    Apple must be quaking right now !