Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

There wouldn't be a Samsung watch or any of these health things if the rumours about Apple making a watch with sensors combining with healthbook on the iPhone didn't come out. Samsung do a lot of "releasing stuff first" off the back of what they hear other companies are planning to do.

Apple don't rush crap to market like Samsung. They release it when it's right.

• Reply 62 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But in typical Samsung fashion, it doesn't come close to being as well executed as Apple.

Looks like a typical situation common in Asian corporate structure. Graphic artists being managed by engineers with no formal training or experience in communication arts. You show them a couple comps and they always pick the ugliest one and then decide that it needs to be even uglier. "I like the third design but make the background black and the headline all caps. We need it to POP!!!"

• Reply 63 of 118
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member
    mstone wrote: »
    Looks like a typical situation common in Asian corporate structure. Graphic artists being managed by engineers with no formal training or experience in communication arts. You show them a couple comps and they always pick the ugliest one and then decide that it needs to be even uglier. "I like the third design but make the background black and the headline all caps. We need it to POP!!!"

Asian corporate structure ?
    Graphic designers and artists know that experience the world over !
  • Reply 64 of 118
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    Samsung could't upstage Big Top Pee-Wee (Pee Wee Herman) if it tried.
  • Reply 65 of 118
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NostraThomas View Post

Why did this web page auto-open the App Store to some game on my iPhone. Is that some form of advertising or is it a glitch on my phone?

You probably tapped on a ad at the bottom unknowingly.

• Reply 66 of 118
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
  • Reply 67 of 118
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member
    How dare they attempt to upstage Apple's magical, revolutionary, and incredible event? Embarrassing....
  • Reply 68 of 118
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    "Whatever..." -- Everyone.
  • Reply 69 of 118
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

And the new conversation is: Samsung is sick

• Reply 70 of 118
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

You're joking right? Apple has been in this so called health market for many years. Nike+iPod was a collaboration between Apple and Nike and has been built into Apple's devices since 2006. Furthermore, Apple has been hiring people in the health monitoring industry for years, how could they possibly be copying Samsung when Samsung has only recently entered this market a couple of months ago?

You'd have to be blind or just ignorant not to see all the things Samsung has done previously that follow directly in Apple's footsteps - even if Apple hasn't walked down that path Samsung is constantly running in the same direction trying to get there first. It is blatantly obvious that Samsung has Apple envy. Their entire marketing focus is geared towards bashing Apple. Everything they do is a direct response to something that Apple MIGHT do. This isn't just speculation either, there are documents proving that Samsung has been focused on chasing Apple.

• Reply 71 of 118
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You're joking right? Apple has been in this so called health market for many years. Nike+iPod was a collaboration between Apple and Nike and has been built into Apple's devices since 2006. Furthermore, Apple has been hiring people in the health monitoring industry for years, how could they possibly be copying Samsung when Samsung has only recently entered this market a couple of months ago?

You'd have to be blind or just ignorant not to see all the things Samsung has done previously that follow directly in Apple's footsteps - even if Apple hasn't walked down that path Samsung is constantly running in the same direction trying to get there first. It is blatantly obvious that Samsung has Apple envy. Their entire marketing focus is geared towards bashing Apple. Everything they do is a direct response to something that Apple MIGHT do. This isn't just speculation either, there are documents proving that Samsung has been focused on chasing Apple.

You realize that Samsung has an entire division for healthcare that's been around for a very long time. They make medical equipment such as 

Digital Radiography, Ultrasound and In-vitro Diagnostics and much more. So they have some idea about the health market. Apple is not the only company in the world to do health anything. 

• Reply 72 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    You realize that Samsung has an entire division for healthcare that's been around for a very long time. They make medical equipment such as ]Digital Radiography, Ultrasound and In-vitro Diagnostics and much more. So they have some idea about the health market. Apple is not the only company in the world to do health anything.

I guess some things can carry over but when talking about a consumer health market and wearables I think we're in an entirely new <insert_health_related_idiom>.
  • Reply 73 of 118
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I really hate those Gear Fit devices. Even with the pictures you have to twist your head to a stupidly uncomfortable angle to see the screens.

I'd never buy one for that reason and that reason alone, regardless of who they're made by.

They are actually made so others can look at it while you wear them, Ever notice when some asked to look at your watch and you have to twist you arm funny so they can see the face of your watch. With the Samsung ID is allow others around you to look at it easily.

• Reply 74 of 118
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

You realize that Samsung has an entire division for healthcare that's been around for a very long time. They make medical equipment such as 

Digital Radiography, Ultrasound and In-vitro Diagnostics and much more. So they have some idea about the health market. Apple is not the only company in the world to do health anything. 

Yes, I do. Samsung is a huge conglomerate and has their hands in almost everything. Their biggest business, by far is their consumer electronics division and that's what is being discussed here. Their CE division has absolutely no vision other than to move in any and every direction their competitors do. They have proven this time and time again in all areas of the CE market, not just smartphones. Lately, the ONLY thing they seem to focus on, is Apple. And it's ironic that the company they bash the most, is the one they envy the most.

• Reply 75 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There are ads that tear you out of Safari with a forced iTunes link, but they seem to only work on mobile devices.

Report it to Kasper and hopefully he’ll get rid of it.

That has been happening to me more and more also. Incredible what these advertisers won't do. We need something for Safari on iOS to block this crap. 

• Reply 76 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yes and in the case of their Digital Radiographics such as the Rayscan it is a complete ripoff of a well know Japanese manufacturer and their Ultrasound is a replica of GE designs. Not sure about the in-vitro, not familiar with that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that wasn't a ripoff product as well. 

• Reply 77 of 118
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Seriously, you are taking this into this forum and comparing that with Apple first or Sammy first in Health monitoring devices? Come on buddy! 

• Reply 78 of 118
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dav View Post

Quote:

Thirded.

LG makes great washers and dryers. I wouldn't discount them.

An American company has a cheap knockoff of the LG washers and dryers, but they are just a little cheaper and crap (belt-driven washers instead of a direct motor). I forgot the name of the company, but they almost look like LG W/D.

Let's stop stereotyping entire nations.

Better yet, let's buy the best product out there.

• Reply 79 of 118
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

I wonder why people are concerned with Samsung.

Someone at work helped me to activate their Galaxy S5. What a cheap-feeling phone. I will never forget taking off that cheap-ass thin plastic back of the case to put in the battery.

Yuck. No thanks. The only benefit was the bigger screen...other than that it felt cheap.

• Reply 80 of 118
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

"Samsung prefers throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks..."

like primates @ the zoo.