Apple retail store sales decline as consumers wait for new products

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,872member

I was thinking along the lines of losing the front aluminum chin that all aluminum iMacs have had and making an all glass front, keeping the aluminum back as making a curved glass back would be quite difficult and very expensive to mass produce. This is a change in the design. The aluminum chin with black bordered glass look is the same since 2007. Yes, it may look slightly different but the same basic design principals are still there. 

• Reply 42 of 90
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Well this is Apple...maybe if they didn't focus 100% on the iPhone and actually paid attention to the Mac every once in a while they'd some up with something different rather than something that looks like it did back in 2007. Its still a gray chin with a glass black border design. 

Yes, if only they did something new with a Mac every once in a while.  Hmm.  That would be cool.  I have an idea!  How about this?!

Nah.  That's CRAY-CRAY!  I mean, why even design something like that?!  They should just go back to focusing 100% on the iPhone!

• Reply 43 of 90
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,872member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yes, if only they did something new with a Mac every once in a while.  Hmm.  That would be cool.  I have an idea!  How about this?!

Nah.  That's CRAY-CRAY!  I mean, why even design something like that?!  They should just go back to focusing 100% on the iPhone!

Now lets see the rest of the lineup gets some TLC...not some 2yr old Mac mini with some lame specs. 

• Reply 44 of 90
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Can't say I blame them. Seems like ever since the iPhone came out the Mac has been the redheaded stepchild. 

Well, iPod. Back when the iPod business rivaled the Mac, thanks at the time to Windows compatibility, which was essential to allow the iPod to grow.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Did you take a poll?

Yep! It’s called sales numbers.

How do you know people are still buying the Mac mini?

I guess Apple could be lying, but they’d be sued for doing so.

Who exactly is buying them?

Apple users, I’d guess.

Lets see some numbers and not just FUD that you typically spew out.

That’s funny. 1. where have I ever said anything that was FUD? 2. If you’re too lazy to look at Apple’s own numbers, that’s your problem. 3. I guess that button on the Apple Store that says “Buy Now” doesn’t let you buy now or something.

Now lets see the rest of the lineup gets some TLC...

So where are your design proposals?

• Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:

Now lets see the rest of the lineup gets some TLC...not some 2yr old Mac mini with some lame specs. 

I ALREADY explained to you the difference between the Mid-2011 iMac and the present Late-2013 iMac.  System Bus is 2x, faster memory, better processor, improved Bluetooth, vastly improved Fusion Drive options, Thunderbolt, etc.

It's essentially a TOTALLY DIFFERENT machine!  Heck, I have a Late-2012 and it's a completely different machine.

Oh, I forgot: To you it's all about getting rid of the chin.  That's right, how could I have forgotten.  It's not like that serves some kind of purpose or anything (or MULTIPLE purposes).

Oh, and by the way, can you please provide your bona fides in the consumer electronics design area?  Because, until I see them and have them verified, I'm sticking with SIR Jony Ive, who, you know, was elevated to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) due to his amazing work.

I'm guessing you know better, though.  Of course, how could I possibly think different?

?As to the Mini, yes, it's time it is updated.  But I think there are issues with Intel as much as anything.  Why don't you go bitch at them?

• Reply 47 of 90

Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire…

I certainly don’t disagree with you, but this just flashed through my mind…

“My liege! The Germans are invading!”

“Get me a computer hardware designer!”

• Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I certainly don’t disagree with you, but this just flashed through my mind…

“My liege! The Germans are invading!”

“Get me a computer hardware designer!”

LOL :)

ETA: Oh, and BTW, at the moment, AAPL -- even with the iMac chin and all the horrible decisions and everything collapsing -- is up +6.70 right now, and $0.82 away from breaching the $600/share mark.  But yeah, they have NO idea what they are doing according to macxpress.

• Reply 49 of 90
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I bought a new MBP, iPad, and iPhone last year…. all at the end of the year, but I don't think too many people do that. I understand if Apple has logistical reasons why it may not be able to do this but from a financial perspective I would bet it would be better for Apple's bottom line if people could get people to want one new product 3x a year rather than 3 new products 1x a year.

I see your point. The thing is, as you say, most people don't do that, and I think it's for a good reason. Let's say, for instance, that most people's needs/wants are met with an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop/desktop computer. That's 3 items that, in terms of a change in technology, probably should be "updated" every 3 years or so, if you want to stay relatively current with "computer capability", no? So, do you change all 3 in 1 year, at great cost and wait 2 years to catch up with the tech?  I think a better idea is to spread your costs over 3 years, and take turns updating devices at one per year. That way you're staying close the "tech race" without getting too much out of date. YMWV, however.

• Reply 50 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    aaronj wrote: »
    I ALREADY explained to you the difference between the Mid-2011 iMac and the present Late-2013 iMac.  System Bus is 2x, faster memory, better processor, improved Bluetooth, vastly improved Fusion Drive options, Thunderbolt, etc.

It's essentially a TOTALLY DIFFERENT machine!  Heck, I have a Late-2012 and it's a completely different machine.

Oh, I forgot: To you it's all about getting rid of the chin.  That's right, how could I have forgotten.  It's not like that serves some kind of purpose or anything (or MULTIPLE purposes).

Oh, and by the way, can you please provide your bona fides in the consumer electronics design area?  Because, until I see them and have them verified, I'm sticking with SIR Jony Ive, who, you know, was elevated to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Commander" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Knight Commander">KBE</a>
    ) due to his amazing work.

I'm guessing you know better, though.  Of course, how could I possibly think different?

?As to the Mini, yes, it's time it is updated.  But I think there are issues with Intel as much as anything.  Why don't you go bitch at them?

It has a "chin" so it doesn't matter how much has changed or the amazing and unheard of innovation and advancements Apple has poured into that machine it's still no different from the G5 iMac from 2004¡
  • Reply 51 of 90

and $0.82 away from breaching the $600/share mark.

But here’s the thing: it won’t get there! It’ll piddle around just below $600 for absolutely no reason for another week or so. When it does get there, it’ll immediately fall off back to $580 again… 

Not that I’d complain about that. I want to get some before the split.

• Reply 52 of 90
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Well, Apple could just do what Samsung does, and call every incremental update a totally different new model.

Like, Samsung just mildly tweaked the Galaxy S4 and rebranded it as the S5.

Maybe if Apple kept renaming the iMac, the new iMac S5, that would make everybody here happy.

• Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:

It has a "chin" so it doesn't matter how much has changed or the amazing and unheard of innovation and advancements Apple has poured into that machine it's still no different from the G5 iMac from 2004¡

Oh, of course.  How could I have been that silly?  I should have just held onto my 2009 model.  Damn!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But here’s the thing: it won’t get there! It’ll piddle around just below $600 for absolutely no reason for another week or so. When it does get there, it’ll immediately fall off back to $580 again… 

Not that I’d complain about that. I want to get some before the split.

HA!  Yeah, I wish I could get some more before the split.  Unfortunately, the only way to get the money to do that is to ... sell AAPL. :)

• Reply 54 of 90
    newbee wrote: »
    I see your point. The thing is, as you say, most people don't do that, and I think it's for a good reason. Let's say, for instance, that most people's needs/wants are met with an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop/desktop computer. That's 3 items that, in terms of a change in technology, probably should be "updated" every 3 years or so, if you want to stay relatively current with "computer capability", no? So, do you change all 3 in 1 year, at great cost and wait 2 years to catch up with the tech?  I think a better idea is to spread your costs over 3 years, and take turns updating devices at one per year. That way you're staying close the "tech race" without getting too much out of date. YMWV, however.

But what about the people that would have bought something twice a year. Between tax returns, birthdays, and holidays — without even considering a society that seems to enjoy having new gadgets — I'd think that twice a year could be more beneficial for Apple assuming all the logistical aspects fall into place.

I really do miss the iPad being around the Spring, the iPhone in the Summer, and new iPods and Macs in the Autumn.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

The iMac still looks the same as it did before the thinness. All they did was make it thinner. I'm not dismissing that this wasn't easy, I'm just saying the overall design is the same from the front. It could use a facelift with something new. 

I think the current iMac design, even at 3+ yr old, is still fantastic.  

Elegant and distinctive.

It's not broken, please don't fix it. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If it ain't broke .... don't fix it!  ;)

Haha, you beat me to the punch!

• Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:

The iMac still looks the same as it did before the thinness. All they did was make it thinner. I'm not dismissing that this wasn't easy, I'm just saying the overall design is the same from the front. It could use a facelift with something new. ...........

.......The Mac mini currently is shameful for what you get for the price. 

One:  Show me a "non Apple" computer that exceeds the design of the latest iMac, and don't forget that a lot of the "other guys" are "following" the all in one design that Apple does.

Two:  Is there any other entry level desktop that offers what the mac mini does, especially when you consider free iMovie, iPhoto, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote and Mavericks OS,  ....all of which are updated for free, plus another dozen or so, that I can remember, anyway.

• Reply 57 of 90
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    Doomed!
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Doomed!

Correct. :)

• Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:

But what about the people that would have bought something twice a year. Between tax returns, birthdays, and holidays — without even considering a society that seems to enjoy having new gadgets — I'd think that twice a year could be more beneficial for Apple assuming all the logistical aspects fall into place.

I really do miss the iPad being around the Spring, the iPhone in the Summer, and new iPods and Macs in the Autumn.

You know, there will always be "somebody" who "falls between the cracks". As you know, Apple have never been the type of company that tries to "please everyone, all the time." What they are very good at is reading the marketplace and the current state of technology and marrying the two together. The other thought that occurred to me is this. I think when a lot of the people here say Apple should "update" more frequently..... what they likely mean is that there should be more "big announcements" like the upcoming WWDC ... that we all love so much. Let's face it 'tho, if they had a WWDC type of gathering 3 or 4 times a year ....they would soon grow stale, not to mention that not a lot of "under the hood" stuff deserves it's own gathering.  I kind of like it just the way it is. That's just me 'tho.

• Reply 60 of 90
    newbee wrote: »
    You know, there will always be "somebody" who "falls between the cracks". As you know, Apple have never been the type of company that tries to "please everyone, all the time." What they are very good at is reading the marketplace and the current state of technology and marrying the two together. The other thought that occurred to me is this. I think when a lot of the people here say Apple should "update" more frequently..... what they likely mean is that there should be more "big announcements" like the upcoming WWDC ... that we all love so much. Let's face it 'tho, if they had a WWDC type of gathering 3 or 4 times a year ....they would soon grow stale, not to mention that not a lot of "under the hood" stuff deserves it's own gathering.  I kind of like it just the way it is. That's just me 'tho.

1) Apple's goal is to maximize profits which I believe could be better achieved by spacing out major category updates, not about trying to please everyone even though getting a customer to buy more of your products is likely to please them.

2) Apple used to have more events in the Steve era. I miss the January event but I understand it's a bit cramped for time as Apple does shut down at the end of December but I would still like to see something between the Autumn event and WWDC in the Summer. They even used to have another event in the Spring to detail iOS and previously to release the iPad back when the iPhone was released in the Summer. To me, the events seem more cramped and rushed so a 1 to 1.5 hour event a couple more times a year would be a treat, not something I'd get bored with. We're talking 3 to 5 month intervals here, not every month.