New Samsung Galaxy S5 ad forced to cherry pick lines from lackluster reviews

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Dilger has also chosen to cherry pick. The Business Insider review is titled, "Samsung's New Galaxy S5 Phone Is One Of The Best". Failure to make note of that fact, once again cements Dilger's status as polemical fanboy.

At least present the whole story, DED. It's pitiful...and I hate Samsung! I have a long anti-Samsung history!

It's getting easier and easier to spot DED articles just by the title.

I didn't read this one.

Yes, I'll move along. Nothing to see here.

Just wanted to drop my spot of wisdom.

Har.

• Reply 22 of 86
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Samsung has zero ethics, but this goes to a whole new level of bottom-feeding.  Someone... anyone... needs to put out a full-page advertisement in all the newspapers and magazines and print DED's article in it verbatim.

There's even more to this Daniel may have uncovered.  In his cherry picking of negative comments from Samsung reviews in his expose of Samsung cherry picking positive comments from Samsung reviews Daniel may have come across something bigger.

I'll keep you posted on my research but its looking an awful lot like companies everywhere that rely on reviews are doing this en masse.  Samsung just copied them!  Seriously.  Look for yourself.  Automobiles.  Movies.  Hotels.   In their marketting materials they are only cherry picking items from the positive comments that promote their products!  This is highly misleading!

• Reply 23 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

‘They’ say that Apple can’t innovate anymore. What do ‘they’ say about Samsung and innovation? Looks to me like Samsung is just loitering around, waiting to see what Apple does next so they can ‘me-too’ it.

• Reply 24 of 86
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What a pathetic phone.

Samsung Galaxy S5 - A pathetic phone.

Samsung - A phony pathetic.

;)
  • Reply 25 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm willing to bet Samsung is selling a heck of a lot of Galaxy S5 units.  I've seen the pricing and I'm sure people think its an absolute bargain for $99 or BOGO.  Samsung is going to definitely increase market share and will be boasting about how many Galaxy S5 units were sold.  $99 for a brand new flagship smartphone is unheard of in such a short time.  Samsung is practically giving the S5 away and yet Apple is going to try to increase the price of the iPhone 6.  How strange is that?  I don't see how most consumers could resist getting a S5 for $99.  It's just insane.

Wutever Constable.  You don't see how, yet you don't seem how Apple is still selling truckloads of iPhones.  When they even hint of how many phones they might of shipped, they are caught downright lying of how many were sold.  So you go and keep believing that Samsung just HAS to be selling all these great S5's, putting aside the fact that they practically have to give them away.

Anyways, AT&T's website show's an iP4 for free, the 5C for $99 and like-new 4S' and iP5's for free.  

• Reply 26 of 86
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Spoonauer also added that photos taken by iPhone 5s were "brighter overall" and produced "more detailed photos" compared to Samsung's "unnaturally bright but quite fuzzy" images (as it portrayed in a test shot, below).

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s5-att.aspx

The S5 is obviously fuzzier but I'm hard pressed to find the 5s picture "brighter overall". The reason why the 5s picture is better is because it's lower in contrast, which allows better overall tonality. (hmmmm, is that a word?) 

Are we sure the S5 pic isn't rigged by not purposely hitting the focus? I find it hard to believe that this is how bad (fuzzy) a picture taken with an S5 is. Just sayin'! 

• Reply 27 of 86
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Um...

https://ssl.apple.com/iphone/reviews/

Maybe AI can research if Apple only picked out the good bits. image

I meant more in the context of their advertising. Should have been clearer.

• Reply 28 of 86
    stargazerctstargazerct Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Apple has real opportunity here. This phone is basically a dud (even though it probably will still sell very well). I hope Apple takes advantage.

It may "ship" very well since that's really the only number we get (which I believe is actually estimated) but how well it sells and ends up in someone's hand is another matter. We've learned from the recent trials that all of Sammy's numbers are pretty much fabricated.

• Reply 29 of 86
    george ligeorge li Posts: 30member
    This sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. If I were a lawyer, I would find a few unhappy S5 owners and sue shamesung' sass off for misleading ads like this.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    Obviously samsung is racist as it tries to make you like whiter in pictures.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

The S5 is obviously fuzzier but I'm hard pressed to find the 5s picture "brighter overall". The reason why the 5s picture is better is because it's lower in contrast, which allows better overall tonality. (hmmmm, is that a word?) 

Are we sure the S5 pic isn't rigged by not purposely hitting the focus? I find it hard to believe that this is how bad (fuzzy) a picture taken with an S5 is. Just sayin'! 

better camera review

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5-vs-htc-one-m8-camera-shootout

• Reply 32 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    george li wrote: »
    This sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. If I were a lawyer, I would find a few unhappy S5 owners and sue shamesung' sass off for misleading ads like this.

Unless they made false quotes they can't be libel.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's getting easier and easier to spot DED articles just by the title.

I didn't read this one.

Yes, I'll move along. Nothing to see here.

Just wanted to drop my spot of wisdom.

Har.

Been able to do so last 3 years with very few false positives.

• Reply 34 of 86
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    I'm willing to bet Samsung is selling a heck of a lot of Galaxy S5 units.  I've seen the pricing and I'm sure people think its an absolute bargain for $99 or BOGO.  Samsung is going to definitely increase market share and will be boasting about how many Galaxy S5 units were sold.  $99 for a brand new flagship smartphone is unheard of in such a short time.  Samsung is practically giving the S5 away and yet Apple is going to try to increase the price of the iPhone 6.  How strange is that?  I don't see how most consumers could resist getting a S5 for $99.  It's just insane.

The only place I could going your $99 price point was Verizon.com (after a $50 mail in rebate). On both att.com and sprint.com the phone runs $199. On all three of these sites you can get an iPhone 5s for the same price. These are all obviously subsidized prices; full retail is $650. Doesn't seem like such a great deal to me considering that the 5s beats the s5 on every relevant metric.

Do you have a source for the iPhone 6 price increase?
  • Reply 35 of 86
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    sog35 wrote: »
    OH God!

Samsung again preying on the weak, stupid, and uninformed.

Long ago P.T. Barnam observed that "new ones" were being born every minute... these are Samsung's lawful prey.

If it weren't for Samsung feeding off the stupid we could go through life thinking we were all the same.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Wow. Samsung being disingenuous ripoffs. Surprised.

• Reply 37 of 86
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    Obviously samsung is racist as it tries to make you like whiter in pictures.

Look again, Samsung makes you look more Korean... OMG, is that Great Leader! ;)
  • Reply 38 of 86
    docwallabydocwallaby Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Um...

https://ssl.apple.com/iphone/reviews/

Maybe AI can research if Apple only picked out the good bits. image

At least Apple actually provided links to each article they took a quote from, making it easy for the consumer to read the whole thing (good and bad) and decide for themselves. ;)

But yes, every company cherry-picks the positive comments from the reviews of their products when using said reviews to promote their products. It's just fun to show that the sword cuts both ways, as DED has done here in cherry-picking the negative facts. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I mean, I'm far more concerned about Amazon's advertising tricks. Remember when the iPad Mini was announced and before Apple even posted the specs, they had a Kindle Fire ad up that crowed about how their Kindle device beat out the iPad Mini in terms of specs? Or how about their commercials where they use creative camerawork to make the Kindle Fire HDX (or whatever) appear to have the same dimensions as the iPad Air, when the iPad Air is an inch-plus larger diagonally.

THAT is deceptive advertising. Samsung cherry-picking the positive quotes is just business as usual.

• Reply 39 of 86
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,002member

Sammy wants to include a heart-rate sensor? Terrific! But why place it near the camera on the phone?  Because with iPhones, apps use the flash and superior optics of the camera to detect the pulse when you place your finger over the flash/camera.  Apparently Sammy's cameras aren't good enough for that. BUT THEY JUST HAD TO COPY!  So they put the heart-rate sensor near the camera, because their users are so stupid that they think it *has* to be there.  Because that's what you do with an iPhone.

Seriously, if you're going to include a separate heart-rate monitor, there are many vastly superior places to locate it, rather than the awkward position up near the camera where your fingers will dirty the lens and flash.  But Sammy-must-copy.  It is just stupid stupid stupid.  Pity the fools that buy such a device with a stupidly-placed heart-rate monitor!

• Reply 40 of 86
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    I hate Samsung, but of course that's what they are going to do? This isn't news. That's what any company would do. You aren't going to point out your products faults.

Oddly no mention of their fingerprint scanner? That's really strange... Possibly because it sucks big donkey d*cks.