New Samsung Galaxy S5 ad forced to cherry pick lines from lackluster reviews

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    iaeen wrote: »

Do you have a source for the iPhone 6 price increase?

There was a rumor about that on this site a week or so ago. Rumor only. As you and I know, anything about Apple that is known for sure will fit in a thimble with plenty of room remaining for your finger.

When Apple finally releases the new iPhone there will be a small tremor emanating from SoKo caused by the combined thud of Samsung's management's jaws hitting the ground.

Remember, Samsung sells to the weak,, uninformed, and stupid (WUS) so well because they share so many inbred traits with their prey, ahem, "customers."
  • Reply 42 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

As noted by many of the reviewers, the Galaxy S5 is not as good as an iPhone, so I wondered what the brand retention figures looked like. I found this survey by WDS (a Xerox Company) http://www.wds.co/apple-samsung-vs-rest/

Then I started speculating on how these numbers made sense. I thought in both cases the brand retention percentages would be improved by ecosystem commitments such as apps purchased, etc. It has been mentioned around this forum that iOS users buy more apps, music, movies, etc. than Android users so that trend would probably improve Apple's brand retention. Samsung's brand retention numbers are most likely not affected as much by ecosystem.

When considering the other survey data point of migration, it shows Samsung has better numbers than Apple. I was wondering if possibly this is due to people upgrading from some old feature phone to some new Samsung feature phone or low priced smartphone and not necessarily to the Galaxy. Although, to be fair, Apple does offer a couple inexpensive options for upgrading feature phone users on a budget, but not as much as Samsung.

It is unclear how many premium iPhone users switch to Galaxy or vise versa, but some may, simply to get a larger screen. With the rumored larger iPhone in the works, I wonder how many former iPhone users will switch back and how many loyal Galaxy users will jump ship to iOS. I think that people tend to get used to whatever they have been using, especially when it come to a larger screen.

It is sort of like when you get used to a big comfortable car, you probably aren't going to like driving a compact car, like as a rental or whatever. The reverse is also true too though. For example when Porsche introduced the Cayenne SUV, Porsche purists were angry and hated it, but it is a really nice SUV, if that is what you like. Similarly, I think Apple will keep a premium 4" phone when they introduce the larger screen model. Personally, I like SUVs and I will most likely appreciate a larger iPhone as well, as long as it isn't like an 18 wheeler.       

• Reply 43 of 86
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    Sammy wants to include a heart-rate sensor? Terrific! But why place it near the camera on the phone?  Because with iPhones, apps use the flash and superior optics of the camera to detect the pulse when you place your finger over the flash/camera.

Actually, the Samsung Heart Rate laser is where it is because most of the users WILL place their finger over the built-in flash before being told to try the right place.

What happens is (1) the WUS will place their finger over the flash and (2) activate the Heart Rate laser which will (3) etch the words "Not there, Stupid" on the retinas of their eyes.*

Old Korean joke that replaced the little telescope with the soot covered eye-piece.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Selective quoting is on par with selective statistics, selective polling, and all forms of slanted advertising and spin doctoring. Kind of par for the course in that line of work.

The bottom line is that Samsung is struggling to prove to the world that they are a legitimate top tier player. They're just not there yet and their passion for plastic and copycat design shows that they aren't willing to take those last few steps that would take them from good to great. Actions speak louder than words - and slanted marketing is no more than a flourish of lazy and meaningless words.

I'm kinda sick of the back and forth banter. I think the Apple user community would be best served by just accepting Samsung for what it is or ignoring them completely until they can actually deliver a product that would truly attract current buyers of Apple products. Who knows if this will ever happen. Their illegitimate and sometimes illegal attempts at design and not-quite-good-enough attempts at quality only prove they aren't totally committed and aren't trying hard enough where it matters - in the product design and engineering department. No amount of creative marketing can improve the intrinsic value of their products. They've settled on "good enough" rather than "great."

If Samsung produces a great product and plays by the rules and with integrity and ethics I will absolutely consider buying their stuff. I love cool stuff. They're as entitled as anyone else to earn my business. But they have to earn it. I'm still waiting.

To conjecture that Apple looks at any aspect of "good enough" in the products in their competitive market space means that you don't really understand Apple at all.

Maybe we should quit comparing Apples to Samsungs. Ignoring them may be a wonderful bliss and let them figure out what they want to do with their life when they grow up and get their act together. The ball is in their court.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    woochifer wrote: »
    Well, here's something that Samsung didn't copy -- Apple doesn't care what bloggers and reviewers have to say.
    Nether does samsung they just make stuff up.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Strange how the phone is measuring the heart rate of a non-existent finger, unless the model has a strange quirk of anatomy involving a sixth hidden finger.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Can't we just spin these hit pieces off into an Anti-Samsung blog? They're about as interesting and insightful as a headline about the sky being blue.

P.S. I'd quite like an Ultra Power Saving Mode on my iPhone. Damn good idea from Samsung.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Can u believe it just when you thought they could get any lower, then WAM. They go ahead and make fake comments from real people. From the looks of it, this is where Samsung's going straight downwards. Share it so people know what samsung really does. For those who doesn't know already.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

P.S. I'd quite like an Ultra Power Saving Mode on my iPhone. Damn good idea from Samsung.

I don't really see how that is going to help that much. iPhone already has great standby times. The only time you are using up your battery is when you are actively using the phone, which is when you probably want to have a color screen. Even while txting I want to see if the other user is on iMessage. BW display isn't acceptable for any usage other than dialing a phone number or checking the time. I can't see how the communication radios can benefit from a power saving mode at all.

• Reply 50 of 86
    There was a rumor about that on this site a week or so ago. Rumor only. As you and I know, anything about Apple that is known for sure will fit in a thimble with plenty of room remaining for your finger.

When Apple finally releases the new iPhone there will be a small tremor emanating from SoKo caused by the combined thud of Samsung's management's jaws hitting the ground.

Remember, Samsung sells to the weak,, uninformed, and stupid (WUS) so well because they share so many inbred traits with their prey, ahem, "customers."
    I highly doubt Apple is going to increase the price and these are my reason. 1. Rumors like this have happened before. People thought iPhone 5s was going to increase because of Touch ID. Well it didn't 2. The MacBook Airs are lower in proving now which means that the iPhone might follow on.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't really see how that is going to help that much. iPhone already has great standby times.
    For a smartphone, maybe; but compared to a feature phone the standby time sucks. For times when I really need a phone, but don't need a smartphone, and am down to 10% (happens to me quite a lot), I'd appreciate this feature.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    dpejicdpejic Posts: 3member
    This is one on the best phone for me .. I like the look of the tool to work and everything else that goes with it

cheat&hacks
  • Reply 53 of 86

This is one on the best phone for me .. I like the look of the tool to work and everything else that goes with it

<a href="http://pcgames-cheats-hacks.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html">cheat&hacks</a>

• Reply 54 of 86
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    _rick_v_ wrote: »
    Just a small correction:
      Apple isn't going to make you upgrade.
    This. I am using an iPhone 4 I bought nearly 4 years ago. On ios 7 and works brilliantly. That's a lot more than I can say for the Galaxy S3 I used for a month a few mo?hs after it was released.

When I go back to India and hae a choice between the S3 and the original iPhone, I always pick the latter (though it isn't on the lates OS) because despite a slower processor, it was actually faster.
  • Reply 55 of 86

cheat&hacks
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't really see how that is going to help that much. iPhone already has great standby times.

For a smartphone, maybe; but compared to a feature phone the standby time sucks. For times when I really need a phone, but don't need a smartphone, and am down to 10% (happens to me quite a lot), I'd appreciate this feature.

Well I'm not saying that you situation isn't a valid concern but iPhone 5s has Standby time: Up to 250 hours. So if you have 10% left, that works out to be a full day. It is not the stand by that kills your battery, it is the talk time, which on the iPhone 5s is only 10 hours on 3G. Of course, that is still a lot of talking in a day. How often do you charge your phone?

• Reply 57 of 86
    dstarsboydstarsboy Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm willing to bet Samsung is selling a heck of a lot of Galaxy S5 units.  I've seen the pricing and I'm sure people think its an absolute bargain for $99 or BOGO.  Samsung is going to definitely increase market share and will be boasting about how many Galaxy S5 units were sold.  $99 for a brand new flagship smartphone is unheard of in such a short time.  Samsung is practically giving the S5 away and yet Apple is going to try to increase the price of the iPhone 6.  How strange is that?  I don't see how most consumers could resist getting a S5 for $99.  It's just insane.

I don't think they're selling as many as they hope. Almost all of my Samsung/Android friends (granted, only around 5 or so) waited for the S5 to drop so that they can upgrade. They went to the store, played with it a little and walked out with the HTC One.

• Reply 58 of 86
    dstarsboydstarsboy Posts: 62member
    Quote:

I agree, I wouldn't mind this feature at all. 

However, I don't think this is as much of an issue for long. The last time my phone died in the last, like, 6 months was when I went to the Phoenix Open all day and forgot to charge it the night before.

I remember about 4 years ago, taking a flight somewhere virtually guaranteed a dead phone. Nowadays, more and more public places in major cities have free public charging stations, starting with airports, malls and arenas. This feature will likely be laughable in a few years.

Also, I'm expecting some big gains in battery life now that the iPhone 6 will be larger.

• Reply 59 of 86
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

The S5 is obviously fuzzier but I'm hard pressed to find the 5s picture "brighter overall". The reason why the 5s picture is better is because it's lower in contrast, which allows better overall tonality. (hmmmm, is that a word?) 

Are we sure the S5 pic isn't rigged by not purposely hitting the focus? I find it hard to believe that this is how bad (fuzzy) a picture taken with an S5 is. Just sayin'! 

That's because DED cherry-picked the wrong line from the review.  This was the part that had to do with the photo DED used in the article - "The S5 fell flat when we shot some co-workers in a very dim room. Samsung's image came out unnaturally bright but quite fuzzy, especially when zoomed in. The iPhone 5s and One M8 produced more detailed photos. Turning on image stabilization in the S5's busy settings menu should help."

This is the picture that was described as DED said in the article - 

• Reply 60 of 86
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    They goofed with this phone. I thought we would get a more rugged version of the Galaxy S4 with a brighter display. Instead, they made the phone considerably larger for only a tiny increase in display size, and put this hideous chrome trim around it, and just generally made it ergonomically not work, and on top of everything else the previously exemplary SAR rating on Samsung phones doesn't quite carry over to the S5. I'd be happy with a Galaxy S4 if the display were just a little brighter and if it were water resistant . . . you know, like the S4 Active that AT&T got and Verizon never did.

Unfortunately the iPhone doesn't do what I need it to do either -- no Swype, no tethering without jailbreaking -- so I'm probably going to get a Moto X; it's the cheapest way of getting a good phone with stock software and no bloatware and keep my VZ unlimited data. But I think I'll wait until IOS 8 just to give Apple a chance not to be stubborn about these features.