Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 401 of 599
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Since bass is a low-frequency with a longer sound wave would that make it better or worse, or simply do different damage than a high-frequency with a shorter sound wave?

I don't know the answer to that, but I do believe that the human ear is most sensitive to the mid frequencies (around 1khz - 4 khz).

• Reply 402 of 599
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Interesting. I'd to know how much I'm pumping into my hear holes or in my car.

2) Since bass is a low-frequency with a longer sound wave would that make it better or worse, or simply do different damage than a high-frequency with a shorter sound wave?

I suspect loud car radios (and I don't even mean those ridiculous systems, just a good in car stereo) on a long journey are as bad as a rock concert. You turn up the volume to overcome wind and engine noise and probably are way over a safe dB level. Low frequency is going to create far more pressure on the ear drums but high frequency is rattling those bones really fast ... I am no expert, just a victim of my own stupidity, but I bet both are really a bad idea.
  • Reply 403 of 599
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but we all know Apple is interested in wearables. What makes more sense than wearable headphones? Apple could put an iPod directly into the headphones. Sure Apple could do this without Beats, but Apple has never been very successful in the audio space (headphones/speakers), so it would make sense to buy a company that has had success.

Good idea, except iPods are really falling by the way side in sales in favor of iPhones. Do you think that might bring sales back up? It could I suppose.
  • Reply 404 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Here's a thought:

You have, say, 1,000 songs in your music library.

You, want to build a playlist for when you go to the Gym -- you really don't want to be there, but you have to go. You want to clear your head of the cruft of the day, so you can just get through it.

You have several versions of some songs -- upbeat/downbeat, happy/sad -- different artists, etc. Say, you have Peggy Lee; Oh. Didn't He Ramble (slow and bluesy) and the same song by the Dukes Of Dixeiland, Jellyroll Morton ... Which one do you pick for this particular playlist?  Why?

OK, What's the next song?

Maybe, Streisand's "Happy Days Are Here Again (slow and sad) or an upbeat Player Piano version ... Which?  Why?

I dunno', why don't you just surprise me!

Great you have that playlist for the gym (any surprises?) -- how long did it take? Did you listen to any songs (or just shuffle or point/click on a dart board)?  Did the playlist to its job?

OK, let's do a playlist of mood music for that new date you have on Saturday night.

Now let's do one for the party you're giving next week (hopefully including that new date -- maybe should include/eliminate songs based on her reaction on the date)

That's what Beats do -- and it do do it well!

iTunes Radio does that for me now though (or am I missing something?)... by artist, genre or specific song as the start point.. and I can save them. I have unlimited data pan so that's easy for me to say ... :smokey:

I can use them once saved from any device at any time anywhere. I have many for different moods, and Apple Tv serves them up over the Hi Fi system, such as Italian opera for a snobby dinner or 1970's European pop for a romantic evening and so on

Yes, you are missing something! Beats builds those playlists automatically with human-assisted curation!

When you first start the app it asks you a few simple questions (artists, genres, etc) that you answer buy tapping on bubbles -- so it gets to know you.

Then as you are presented songs, you listen, heart/unheart or skip them -- building a history of your preferences over time.

Nice UI, but nothing remarkable so far!

1) Then, you can chose a sentence -- to tell it wha's happening' -- and it selects and plays the first song ... and the next ... and the next ...

2) The way it selects these songs is based on playlists built by music experts, combined with what it knows about you (preferences), your history, your location, your mood at this moment.

3) You heart/unheart or skip the song -- It is always listening -- learning about you -- getting more proficient:

You need to try it for yourself -- a free app with a free 7-day-trial.
  • Reply 405 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What's even funnier -- who do you think will be supplying those cool hearing aids?

This guy?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179355/beats-acquisition-would-give-iovine-and-dr-dre-senior-positions-at-apple-report-says/360#post_2531887

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but we all know Apple is interested in wearables. What makes more sense than wearable headphones? Apple could put an iPod directly into the headphones. Sure Apple could do this without Beats, but Apple has never been very successful in the audio space (headphones/speakers), so it would make sense to buy a company that has had success.

Yesterday I linked to The Verge article discussing that possibility but I don't think many noticed in all the commotion.

We know that Apple has considered biometrics in headphones. The EAM (aka: ear canal) is a great way to way to allow for biometric access.

In-ear phones that allow not only heart rate and temperature but potentially many other features. Are there any others that are commercially available besides those two?
  • Reply 406 of 599
    forgot quote
  • Reply 407 of 599
    Yes, you are missing something! Beats builds those playlists automatically with human-assisted curation!

When you first start the app it asks you a few simple questions (artists, genres, etc) that you answer buy tapping on bubbles -- so it gets to know you.

Then as you are presented songs, you listen, heart/unheart or skip them -- building a history of your preferences over time.

1) Then, you can chose a sentence -- to tell it wha's happening' -- and it selects and plays the first song ... and the next ... and the next ...

2) The way it selects these songs is based on playlists built by music experts, combined with what it knows about you (preferences), your history, your location, your mood at this moment.

3) You heart/unheart or skip the song -- It is always listening -- learning about you -- getting more proficient:

Ok, thanks for explaining, I suspected I was missing something. I'll try when I finally get over this bronchial pneumonia that's kept me in bed this week ... my headache makes music listening less attractive just now, but AI, Ars Technica and Verge have kept me sane. :)

I must say though, iTunes radio has proven amazingly adept for me at selecting music from my initial starting selection. It too learns as I reject some and gets better over time and it's free as I have iTunes Match. Plus it's available on Apple Tv and all Apple devices not just iOS (Maybe Beats is on OS X too?). It's great on the Apple TV as that is hooked up to my 1970's fully restores NM1 Nightingale Speakers and Quad amp.
  • Reply 408 of 599
    This guy?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179355/beats-acquisition-would-give-iovine-and-dr-dre-senior-positions-at-apple-report-says/360#post_2531887
    Yesterday I linked to The Verge article discussing that possibility but I don't think many noticed in all the commotion.

We know that Apple has considered biometrics in headphones. The EAM (aka: ear canal) is a great way to way to allow for biometric access.

In-ear phones that allow not only heart rate and temperature but potentially many other features. Are there any others that are commercially available besides those two?

The Verge seems to be far ahead of most in seeing the upsides to this.
  • Reply 409 of 599
    True story:

My Dad was a radio pioneer -- and in the 1950s-1960s he would continuously build/tweak/sell his own HiFis (with bass boost & crossover) and Stereos --folded horn speakers for the corners -- and some humongus bass speakers. Dad designed and built both the cabinets and electronics (self taught in both -- even built his own table saw). Every time anyone would visit, Dad would give 'em a tour of what's new!

AIR, it was about 1959, and Dad had just finished his latest, which included a speaker enclosure about the same size as a modern washer and dryer. The front grill was held on by magnets, so Dad could continue to tinker.

Midway through the room was a large, round, marble coffee table (to bribe Mom to accept Dad's toys). Opposite the speaker was the stereo he built that sat below a large bay window.

On this particular day, Dad put a London recording of the 1812 Overture -- and cranked it up to the point where the bay window was pulsing ...

Another crank, and the front grill was blown off the speaker enclosure and a candy dish jumped off the coffee table ...

You don't hear base -- you feel base!

Or, to paraphrase General Motors: There's no substitute for cubic inches!

So you as a child, were subject to the dangers of second hand volume ... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

Nah! 3 kids in the family, hundreds of nearby kids on the blocks and relatives -- we were the first-hand source of most of the noise :D

My early childhood was spent in a suburb of Minneapolis -- none of the houses had fences -- the front, back and side yards were block-long playing fields for the kids. Lots of swamps (no alligators, just bullheads, frogs, crawdads) and other undeveloped areas to play in.
  • Reply 410 of 599
    [@]digitalclips[/@], since you use iTunes Radio's playlist features I think you would be an excellent candidate to test out Beats Music's playlist generation features.

Once you get it established you could select the same song from each service and then see which gives you new songs which are best choices moving forward.

[@]Dick Applebaum[/@] and others, if you also use iTunes Radio or Spotify's playlist generating services it would be great to have some detailed comparisons where you all list the services, genres artists and songs that are chosen.
  • Reply 411 of 599
    forgot quote

Maybe You Forgot About Dre?
  • Reply 412 of 599

Good points!

I was thinking more along the lines of clothing with BLE and some form of inert display that could signal your mood/reaction ...

But, then, you've got to be careful that you're sending the right signals -- likely, mine would be Hornery -- followed by Eh, What?
  • Reply 413 of 599
    The Verge seems to be far ahead of most in seeing the upsides to this.

Instead of getting upset like way too many people AI their writers seemed to "think tank" it by asking "If true, what would be Apple's reasoning for this?" They came up with some interesting ideas. It's unfortunate that it took so long to get any decent discussions going on AI over the emotional outcries.
  • Reply 414 of 599
    [@]digitalclips[/@], since you use iTunes Radio's playlist features I think you would be an excellent candidate to test out Beats Music's playlist generation features.

Once you get it established you could select the same song from each service and then see which gives you new songs which are best choices moving forward.

[@]Dick Applebaum[/@] and others, if you also use iTunes Radio or Spotify's playlist generating services it would be great to have some detailed comparisons where you all list the services, genres artists and songs that are chosen.

I'll check it out soon. But I have to say, in the end it is very subjective. No AI can ever know why I like say, a Buddy Holly song for example. It's not because I want a string of 1950's music it is because my older sister played them when I was a very young kid and it brings back happy memories, same with the Everly Brothers. I love Kris Kristofferson, not because I like country, which I don't much, but because it reminds me of a great summer with a certain lady who loved Kris and Rita ... I could go on ... point being no curation on earth is going to figure me out! lol. That said they can do a pretty good job if I pick an Eagles song but even then, to be honest, I often prefer 100% Eagles for the next few hours!
  • Reply 415 of 599

Ok, thanks for explaining, I suspected I was missing something. I'll try when I finally get over this bronchial pneumonia that's kept me in bed this week ... my headache makes music listening less attractive just now, but AI, Ars Technica and Verge have kept me sane. :)

I must say though, iTunes radio has proven amazingly adept for me at selecting music from my initial starting selection. It too learns as I reject some and gets better over time and it's free as I have iTunes Match. Plus it's available on Apple Tv and all Apple devices not just iOS (Maybe Beats is on OS X too?). It's great on the Apple TV as that is hooked up to my 1970's fully restores NM1 Nightingale Speakers and Quad amp.

You can AirPlay/Mirror to AppleTV.

Sorry to hear about your condition -- that sucks.

Aside: For those who think Rap and Hip Hop aren't music -- what is Scat -- or worse Boogie-Woogie?
  • Reply 416 of 599
    Instead of getting upset like way too many people AI their writers seemed to "think tank" it by asking "If true, what would be Apple's reasoning for this?" That came up with some interesting ideas. It's unfortunate that it so long to get any decent discussions going on AI over the emotional outcries.

Exactly, but there are a solid few doing that here on AI too but sadly it is being deflected too often by histrionics. Then again, what new thing from Apple doesn't bring this characteristic out on AI from all the usual suspects? This had the added advantage / disadvantage of being red meat for racists.
  • Reply 417 of 599
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Instead of getting upset like way too many people AI their writers seemed to "think tank" it by asking "If true, what would be Apple's reasoning for this?" That came up with some interesting ideas. It's unfortunate that it so long to get any decent discussions going on AI over the emotional outcries.

Well, we still don't know any facts yet, so everything is still just speculation at this point. And Apple is not infallible, they make mistakes from time to time. I guess that we'll all find out soon enough exactly what this is about.

• Reply 418 of 599
    I'll check it out soon. But I have to say, in the end it is very subjective. No AI can ever know why I like say a Buddy Holly song for example. It's not because I want a string of 1950's music it is because my older system played them when I was a very young kid and it brings back happy memories, same with the Everly Brothers. I love Kris Kristofferson, not because I like country, which I don't much, but because it reminds me of a great summer with a certain lady who loved Kris and Rita ... I could go on ... point being no curation on earth is going to figure me out! lol. That said they can do a pretty good job if I pick an Eagles song but even then, to be honest, I often prefer 100% Eagles for the next few hours!

That's exactly why Iovine thinks his method is world's better than the computer-only generated systems. It's essentially a cyborg system that uses a human element. Whether that is successful I can't say but it's certainly an interesting solution.
  • Reply 419 of 599
    You can AirPlay/Mirror to AppleTV.

Sorry to hear about your condition -- that sucks.

Aside: For those who think Rap and Hip Hop aren't music -- what is Scat -- or worse Boogie-Woogie?

Music certainly goes through many phases doesn't it? How about the roaring 20's ? .... I always liked Ragtime (not that I was there you understand) :) The 50's music was great to learn as a guitarists, once you has C, Am, F and G down you were all set! :D
  • Reply 420 of 599
    That's exactly why Iovine thinks his method is world's better than the computer-only generated systems. It's essentially a cyborg system that uses a human element. Whether that is successful I can't say but it's certainly an interesting solution.

That was older 'sister' not my MBP's auto correct guess, 'system' by the way ...

I hate answering questions and clicking hearts during these learning processes though. That's why the Nest was so cool (no pun intended), it just learned. Maybe if Siri asked me a few questions I'd be Ok with that ... :)

Cyborg eh? As a Battleship Galactica fan I'm all for the better behaved Cylons ... especially if they look like 6.