Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 161 of 599
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    I'm not so sure about that. I think Iovine would report to Tim.

I re thought my first comment on this ... Now i think ... More likely side by side ... :)
  • Reply 162 of 599
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    rogifan wrote: »

PC Mag ... really? I bet The Scamsung Daily News is a good read on the topic too ;)
  • Reply 163 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Yeah, like the first time you saw the Apple ][ or the Mac -- you just knew you were seeing the future, and had to be a part of it.

Change, in the world around us, makes us old farts (DORFs) forever young ... exciting new toys and adventurous new paths to explore!

I got to touch an early Apple ][ in my capacity of working with brain damaged kids. No background in computers what-so-ever. It was is if I had met Dr. Who and shown the future. I knew immediately, with every bone in my body I had to get involved. A few months later I ditched a very well paid and promising career, held hands with Apple and walked off the plank into the future.

• May 1978 -- saw an Apple ][ at ComputerLand Los Altos, CA
    • Jun 1978 -- wife convinced me to buy [order] one for my Bday
    • Sep 1978 -- got my Apple ][ (I was 39 years old)
    • Dec 1978 -- with 2 others opened Computer Plus, Sunnyvale, CA -- an Apple reseller (with no inventory)
    • Jun 1979 -- Quit my 16 1/2 year career at IBM Palo Alto Systems Center (my boss said to take a few months to think about and kept me on the payroll for 6 months)

Like you, one of my early experiences was with a quadriplegic who, using a special device, could type into the Apple ][ by blowing into a tube ... inspiring!

Today, it's Proloquo2go on the iPad:

A voice for those who cannot speak

Proloquo2Go

The symbol-supported communication app that gives a voice to people who cannot speak

http://www.assistiveware.com/product/proloquo2go

I was so impressed when I saw this app that I bought it -- though we have no need for it. It just seemed like something we should support.

Edit: Ha! AIR, you were in the UK, so you must remember a Dutch company -- Apple reseller, think, named Ronco or Aronco. Their logo was a robot rendered in HiRes Graphics on the Apple ][. Surfed for them with no luck.
  • Reply 164 of 599
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Sorry but mediocre headphones ain't an iPod. What's sad is that they didn't even buy a good headphone company!

What's next for Timmy? Monster Cables? Maybe FUBU? Some other bling company?

Tim Cook really is one of the worst leaders that Apple could have picked.

They need to bring back Scott Forstall. Now that guy had a vision! Too bad Timmy axed him because he was his only competition.

Tim Cook was hand picked and groomed by Steve Jobs to succeed him. Apple didn’t ‘pick’ Tim Cook, Steve did. So go back to your ‘sad’ life. By the way, why is everything ‘sad’ with your ilk? Just asking.

• Reply 165 of 599
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I have no idea if Apple will buy Beats or not. My first reaction was shock since I just didn't see the value. But after a lot more info like Google paying around the same for nest and Facebook paying far more for Whatsapp it doesn't seem quite so crazy. I am confident that if Apple does buy Beats they will have done an enormous amount of due diligence and had rooms full of Mac Pro's running every possible scenario. It is true Beats headphones are mediocre Chinese off the shelf type OEM crap with added bass and simply sold on marketing and design. But Apple can acquire the patents to actually make the technology behind these headphones win people over on quality as well. But this deal has little to do with headphones and more to do with music. I am also confident Apple sees a lot of value in the talent at Beats as well as their ability to finally broker a deal with big music to get better terms and also streaming. For people that have been saying that Apple could do this in-house need I remind you of Ping and many other music failures to socialize music. iTunes is also becoming a far less used app at least for music than it used to. Over the years it has become pretty bloated and quite frankly hard to navigate. I would love for a complete makeover of the iTunes app and the store itself to make it more user friendly. 

• Reply 166 of 599
    Think about this:

Perhaps Apple bought Beats to prevent their myriad of competitors from doing so.

Imagine if FB, Amazon or Pandora announced a deal with Beats, especially with very recent reports of both a FB and Amazon phone!

Or imagine if Beats partnered with Microsofts' newly purchased Nokia handset division. WindowsPhone would be able to expand it's influence in urban and lower income consumer markets.
  • Reply 167 of 599
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Dr Dre is going to be an Apple executive. Cook has lost his fucking mind. image

LOL.

I'm so done with you. You are unimaginable. Why? Because he's black? Because he has produced "Rap" music? You are embarrassment to human beings.

• Reply 168 of 599
    Bea

Now, that's thinking out of the bandbox -- wow, I agree!

Best comment yet...SVP Music...music content and services...yes
  • Reply 169 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    LOL.

I'm so done with you. You are unimaginable. Why? Because he's black? Because he has produced "Rap" music? You are embarrassment to human beings.
    What does Dr Dre bring to Apple? I get hiring Angela Ahrendts to run retail. I get hiring experts in the medical devices field or designers from Nike who have experience in wearable tech. I get hiring a Nokia camera expert to improve iPhone/iPad cameras. I don't get hiring Dr Dre. So Apple is going to spend $3B to try and make themselves "cool" to a segment of the population that thinks Dre and Beats headphones are cool?
  • Reply 170 of 599
    Think about this:

Perhaps Apple bought Beats to prevent their myriad of competitors from doing so.

Imagine if FB, Amazon or Pandora announced a deal with Beats, especially with very recent reports of both a FB and Amazon phone!

Or imagine if Beats partnered with Microsofts' newly purchased Nokia handset division. WindowsPhone would be able to expand it's influence in urban and lower income consumer markets.

If any of this happened, the world would go into meltdown about how Apple missed another great opportunity ;)
  • Reply 171 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    adefowler wrote: »
    If any of this happened, the world would go into meltdown about how Apple missed another great opportunity ;)

Based on how Iovine talked about Apple I'm not sure that would happen.
  • Reply 172 of 599
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Dr Dre is going to be an Apple executive. Cook has lost his fucking mind. image

He will be "Senior Tapping On The Desk Adviser" - if true, this is yet more evidence that Cook is the world's best COO and nothing else.

• Reply 173 of 599
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

LOL.

Rap is not music.

• Reply 174 of 599
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Looking forward to Dre taking stage at the keynote, calling everyone a n***** and a a motherf***er, putting down other rappers! talking about how good guns and drugs are and who he is going to shoot. Let's hope a lot of these rumours aren't true.

This is such a misguided and untrue statement. Dr. Dre is a extremely intelligent man who creativity has spurred a billion dollar industry. Dr. Dre knows how to make deals with high level execs and obviously can speak well to make it happen. He has paved the path for many others while creating opportunities they could only dream about. He practically invented a sub-genre and has been wildly successful in starting new and highly profitable business's. No matter your thoughts on Beats, it is a leading company in it's industry and has the mind-share of the masses. 

• Reply 175 of 599
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member

Keep in mind that it's sill a rumor. But if it is a fact, Dr. Dre runs a pretty profitable company.  He's a successful business man.  He would not be an executive but he "may" become a member of the board. This move appeases  those who have made an observation that their are not many minorities or women in Apple's Board of Directors.  At a cost of $3billion, chump change for Apple, having a successful African American in the Board reflects Apples DNA. For those of you who are prepared to bring up all this negativity  about Dr. Dre...let's be honest Apple has had its share as well. My fellow critics, I challenge you and build a business worth $3 Billion. 

• Reply 176 of 599
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Rap is not music.

I'll bite. Then can you define music for us?
  • Reply 177 of 599
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I don't why Cook & Co. bought Beats. They may have 73% of the headphone market, but they've been lacking in attracting lots of paying customers. Apparently, they only got about 100K paid subscribers, which isn't enough to keep the service profitable.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/21/5636704/beats-music-is-struggling

I think Apple should have just avoided buying them and let them burn through cash and eventually go out of business which is what Spotify is eventually going to do.

I think Apple will do better in the paid subscriber area if they can do two things.

1. Get 24 Bit content.
    2. Get more of the content through the service. It's my understanding that they can't get these entire catalogs under the subscription service so they are limited in what is played through the service route.
  • Reply 178 of 599
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Rap is not music.

Sure it is. Rap is a musical style just as much as opera is. I don't care for either but it is still music. What troubles me is the gangster element in rap. Not sure how Dre fits in with Apple corporate culture.

• Reply 179 of 599
    drblank wrote: »
    I don't why Cook & Co. bought Beats. They may have 73% of the headphone market, but they've been lacking in attracting lots of paying customers. Apparently, they only got about 100K paid subscribers, which isn't enough to keep the service profitable.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/21/5636704/beats-music-is-struggling

I think Apple should have just avoided buying them and let them burn through cash and eventually go out of business which is what Spotify is eventually going to do.

I think Apple will do better in the paid subscriber area if they can do two things.

1. Get 24 Bit content.
    2. Get more of the content through the service. It's my understanding that they can't get these entire catalogs under the subscription service so they are limited in what is played through the service route.

1) Your post didn't consider anything other than their very new streaming service subscription numbers. What about their headphones and their purported revenue and profits?

2) I'm not sure 24-bit for streaming is viable. How much data would that be per song? Or rather, how many more times the data would be be per song?
  • Reply 180 of 599
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Rap is not music.

So the billions of dollars the rap culture makes is what? Rap is music, you may not like it or think it is but that doesn't mean it's not.