Rumored 'iPhone 6' dummy compared to iPhone 5s as more alleged 3D renders leak online

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    pizdecpizdec Posts: 23member
    dimmok wrote: »
    Please Apple have the Apple logo light up on the back of the iPhone 6, like the MacBook Pros. That would be so cool.
    They are trying to save as much energy as possible, when you put the phone to your ear, lcd shuts off, so when would u like it to lid?
  • Reply 82 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pizdec wrote: »
    They are trying to save as much energy as possible, when you put the phone to your ear, lcd shuts off, so when would u like it to lid?

And it should be noted that the light of the Apple logo on tieback of Mac notebooks isn't a separate light but the actual backlight used for the display. On a sunny day with the brightness turned down to zero you can see light shining through the back of your Mac notebook onto your display in the shape of the Apple logo.
  • Reply 83 of 168
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I am sure you do, but I think Apple is aware that you are in the small minority. Your only choice for a 4" is likely to be the 5s reborn in plastic as the 6c. 

Do you know how many people were disappointed the iPhone 4S wasn't larger, especially after the rumor mill had been spinning stories of a larger iPhone with a redesigned case for months?

If you listened to tech blogs, it would seem that everyone was disappointed. But if you surveyed people, the percentage was much smaller. In fact, only a minority (7%) wanted a bigger screen. The conclusion: never underestimate the tech elite's ability to assume everyone else thinks just like them.
  • Reply 84 of 168
    Do you know how many people were disappointed the iPhone 4S wasn't larger, especially after the rumor mill had been spinning stories of a larger iPhone with a redesigned case for months?

If you listened to tech blogs, it would seem that everyone was disappointed. But if you surveyed people, the percentage was much smaller. In fact, only a minority (7%) wanted a bigger screen. The conclusion: never underestimate the tech elite's ability to assume everyone else thinks just like them.

And before the tech blogs kept saying how Apple will release an iPhone mini because the 3.5" iPhone was just too big. Funny how things change and our memories seem to get mostly wiped of these events. We've always been at war with Eurasia.
  • Reply 85 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And before the tech blogs kept saying how Apple will release an iPhone mini because the 3.5" iPhone was just too big. Funny how things change and our memories seem to get mostly wiped of these events. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Thank you, Sir Richard. :D

• Reply 86 of 168
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What an ugly POS, looks like I'll be sitting on my 5 and 5s for a few years.
  • Reply 87 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Keep in mind that this is a 3D rendering, not the final production model. ;)

• Reply 88 of 168
    hill60 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that this is a 3D rendering, not the final production model. ;)

I remember when Gizmodo put up their pics of the stolen iPhone 4. I thought it looked so horrible that it had to be fake but once I saw good pictures of it, and of course in person, I realized it was a beautifully crafted device. Remember that was a real device. I think fit and finish can make a huge different on appearance. I doubt the people that tooled that device took 45 minutes to polish it up like in this Lecia video.
  • Reply 89 of 168
    Quote:

I remember when Gizmodo put up their pics of the stolen iPhone 4. I thought it looked so horrible that it had to be fake but once I saw good pictures of it, and of course in person, I realized it was a beautifully crafted device. Remember that was a real device. I think fit and finish can make a huge different on appearance. I doubt they people that tooled that device took 45 minutes to polish it up like in this Lecia video.

Agreed. Fit and finish can make a drastic difference in one's perception of a device. If the 4.7" iPhone 6 is indeed true, I'm anxious to see the finished product!

• Reply 90 of 168
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,106member

The worst thing about the new design is that it has a smaller headphone jack and a smaller lightning cable socket, which is evident in the pictures. Now I have to get new headphones and a new, smaller lightning cable! Tim Cook, how could you???

Oh, right. Just a rumor. Probably not true.

• Reply 91 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

The worst thing about the new design is that it has a smaller headphone jack and a smaller lightning cable socket, which is evident in the pictures. Now I have to get new headphones and a new, smaller lightning cable! Tim Cook, how could you???

Obviously you’re completely wrong about both things.

• Reply 92 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Oh, right. Just a rumor. Probably not true.

You're joking, right? I'm sure the headphone jack and lightning port will be the same size. 3D renderings are probably not the most accurate models to go by.

• Reply 93 of 168
    You're joking, right? I'm sure the headphone jack and lightning port will be the same size. 3D renderings are probably not the most accurate models to go by.

"Oh, right. Just a rumor. Probably not true."

That sounded sarcastic to me.
  • Reply 94 of 168
    Quote:

"Oh, right. Just a rumor. Probably not true."

That sounded sarcastic to me.

It was hard to tell. :D

• Reply 95 of 168
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I would agree, but why is there a mute button on the side then?

The competition couldn't Beat that, yeah. (they even filled for a patent on the leaf in their logo)

It makes sense to move the power button from the top to the side as it makes it easier to press. So it looks like Apple is indeed working on a larger phone size.

That may be, but I was responding to the poster who thought it could be an iPod.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Nonsense. Sometimes Apple makes decisions about user experience that turn out to be short of ideal so they evolve the design over time. Want proof? Look at their mouses over the last ten years.

Apple's mice have been pretty awesome for the last 9 years or so. And their trackpads are light years ahead of the competition in smoothness, responsiveness and multitouch functionality. Apple isn't perfect, but if the best you can do is complain about their mice from 10 years ago you're not making a very strong case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Further, sometimes specs have meaning. Blindly dismissing them with the "user experience" matra is presuming a non-existent dichotomy. For example, Apple's choice to downgrade the GPU in the mini may not have affected the "user experience" for a large percentage of its users, but what about those whose use of the machine WAS diminished by the change? It's silly to accuse them of arguing specs over user experience, because the specs AFFECT the user experience. They're not separable.

It's perfectly reasonable for one to be a fan of an Apple product while also wishing for improved "specs."

I didn't say specs don't matter. I said they are not the end all, be all when selecting a product. Quite often in Apple's history, competitors have offered "advantages" such as faster processors and more storage space. In real world usage, more often than not the Apple computer/smartphone/tablet is faster than the competition in real world usage because the operating system is better architected, or in the case of iOS, everything's written in Objective-C instead of Java, which is sluggish on a mobile device. And on storage space, again the iOS device has more space available for the user because the device isn't filled to the brim with crapware. Yet another example is the camera, where for years competitors boasted of higher resolution cameras while in real life, the iPhone's camera has usually won out in actual image quality during real world testing. I chuckle every time I hear someone brag about having more megapixels - this is the most hilarious thing to anyone who knows anything about digital photography.

So with these and countless other examples in mind, I am quite jaded when I hear of a competing product offering "better" specs. This is not the same as looking forward to improved specs in each new generation from Apple. In that case it's quite natural, since you're comparing Apples to Apples.

• Reply 97 of 168

I've been thinking about Apple's big to-do about one handed use.  And I think they're right.  After having upgraded to a Nexus 5 I understand how having a larger screen size makes one handed use more cumbersome.  In my own case, it has lead to opening up my hand and gripping the phone looser so that my thumb has more flexibility to reach the more peripheral portions of the screen, i.e. towards the top left as I look down at the screen.  The result has been multiple drops and a broken screen.  I never had a problem with dropping my phone with any of the previous iPhones.  

So I've been thinking about how to make one handed use happen with a larger screen.  What if rotating/tilting the device towards you shifted the screen towards you?  Imagine for example an app in the upper left corner of the screen as you look down at it.  For someone with smallish hands, the top left of the screen is likely to be out of reach.  But by rotating the device slightly, you rotate the foreground down and towards your wrist to shift the apps down towards you?  The idea would be something akin to an extension of the stereoscopic background effect introduced not so long ago, only applying the transformation to the foreground on a stationary background.  Any thoughts?

• Reply 98 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Apple's mice have been pretty awesome for the last 9 years or so. And their trackpads are light years ahead of the competition in smoothness, responsiveness and multitouch functionality. Apple isn't perfect, but if the best you can do is complain about their mice from 10 years ago you're not making a very strong case.

I didn't say specs don't matter. I said they are not the end all, be all when selecting a product. Quite often in Apple's history, competitors have offered "advantages" such as faster processors and more storage space. In real world usage, more often than not the Apple computer/smartphone/tablet is faster than the competition in real world usage because the operating system is better architected, or in the case of iOS, everything's written in Objective-C instead of Java, which is sluggish on a mobile device. And on storage space, again the iOS device has more space available for the user because the device isn't filled to the brim with crapware. Yet another example is the camera, where for years competitors boasted of higher resolution cameras while in real life, the iPhone's camera has usually won out in actual image quality during real world testing. I chuckle every time I hear someone brag about having more megapixels - this is the most hilarious thing to anyone who knows anything about digital photography.

So with these and countless other examples in mind, I am quite jaded when I hear of a competing product offering "better" specs. This is not the same as looking forward to improved specs in each new generation from Apple. In that case it's quite natural, since you're comparing Apples to Apples.

I tend to ignore specs like this when a dual-core cpu can beat a quad-core cpu in benchmark testing. Spec numbers are so misleading, but they look good when consumers don't know any better.

• Reply 99 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Just get rid of the bezels and make the finger print sensor built into the screen...

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The tech will never be ready. That’s just not possible.

Apple patent application - advanced method of fingerprint identification embedded into a mobile device's display

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/18/apple-details-in-display-fingerprint-sensor-tech-in-patent-filing-from-authentec-cofounder

Apple files patent for camera hidden behind display

http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/08/apple_files_patent_for_camera_hidden_behind_display

• Reply 100 of 168
    Quote:

I think most (if not all) would like a larger iPhone but many don't want to make it impossible to use one handed.

Let me fix that for you... :)

I think most (if not all) would like a larger iPhone display but many don't want to make it impossible to use one handed.