Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC

Comments

• Reply 201 of 243
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have 3 years of violin and 12 years of piano under my belt. As a youth my parents (read: mother) felt I should I study these instruments and learn to play classical. I have done some composition on my own and taken plenty of classes but certainly not to the level in which you describe. For me, I ultimately consider it a waste when I am more geared toward scientific pursuits (which I know can be done within music) but I would much prefer to listen than to compose or play. I would have preferred to have had a personal computer in the house instead of using my first one when I was in my early 20's. I went from never using Windows back when NT 3.51 was transitioning to Windows 4.0. It was a toss up between Novell and Windows for some multi-week crash courses. Didn't take me long to realize how much I love the communication side of computing and moved into Cisco networking. I have no idea what synaptic pathways all that music created but I still feel that time could have been better spent as I struggle now to grasp both the Objective-C and Spanish languages.

Understanding the basic elements of music is not using science.  It's using music theory as defined by music scholars.  now if you just want to throw that out the window because it makes you feel like you less of a racist towards illiterate people that have not studied how to play a musical instrument.  I don't like promoting illiteracy, violence in music, degrading of women, etc. and I guess if you like it and want to promote it, then I think you are VERY naive as to how it's negatively affecting our society.

I'll be willing to bet you are a hypocrite in that you've never even hung around the rappers while they are smoking pot, drinking, and degrading their girlfriends or your wife in front of you. Go spend a couple of months getting intrenched in the REAL rap community and REALLY get a sense of what's all about.   Oh, and since you are in the computer industry, why don't you hire some gangster to help you administrate a computer network.  They don't need any real qualifications to play what you call music, so they shouldn't need any training and experience in how to administrate a Novell or Cisco network and shouldn't have to spend one single minute trying to explain them what you are doing.  All you need to do is give them the admin password and let them run loose.  Enjoy hiring a gangster rapper from the streets to help you administer a computer network.  And how many gangster rappers have you hired and worked with?  And you are calling me racist?  And how many black people without any computer training have you ever hired and worked with?  Sounds like your racist against hiring blacks in the computer industry.  

Yeah, like the IT Industry is going to start putting out ads to pay equal pay to kids with no high school diploma of GED, not able to speak any language like English, no college experience, no experience using Novell, Microsoft or Cisco products a $80 to $125K a year job.  When you do and you think they are reliable and honest hard workers that do just as good of a job as someone that does have the same education, experience and background you do, let me know. Until then, I see right through your hypocritical nonsense.

Let let your screen name get to your head. 

And, how many rappers have you played music with and did you enjoy the experience?  Seriously, walk the walk.

• Reply 202 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    Understanding the basic elements of music is not using science.  It's using music theory as defined by music scholars.  now if you just want to throw that out the window because it makes you feel like you less of a racist towards illiterate people that have not studied how to play a musical instrument.  I don't like promoting illiteracy, violence in music, degrading of women, etc. and I guess if you like it and want to promote it, then I think you are VERY naive as to how it's negatively affecting our society.

I'll be willing to bet you are a hypocrite in that you've never even hung around the rappers while they are smoking pot, drinking, and degrading their girlfriends or your wife in front of you. Go spend a couple of months getting intrenched in the REAL rap community and REALLY get a sense of what's all about.   Oh, and since you are in the computer industry, why don't you hire some gangster to help you administrate a computer network.  They don't need any real qualifications to play what you call music, so they shouldn't need any training and experience in how to administrate a Novell or Cisco network and shouldn't have to spend one single minute trying to explain them what you are doing.  All you need to do is give them the admin password and let them run loose.  Enjoy hiring a gangster rapper from the streets to help you administer a computer network.  And how many gangster rappers have you hired and worked with?  And you are calling me racist?  And how many black people without any computer training have you ever hired and worked with?  Sounds like your racist against hiring blacks in the computer industry.  

Yeah, like the IT Industry is going to start putting out ads to pay equal pay to kids with no high school diploma of GED, not able to speak any language like English, no college experience, no experience using Novell, Microsoft or Cisco products a $80 to $125K a year job.  When you do and you think they are reliable and honest hard workers that do just as good of a job as someone that does have the same education, experience and background you do, let me know. Until then, I see right through your hypocritical nonsense.

Let let your screen name get to your head. 

And, how many rappers have you played music with and did you enjoy the experience?  Seriously, walk the walk.

Holy shit balls! I didn't think your crazy went to 11. Your "logic" that if I've never hired, say, a drummer who has no networking engineering skills it must mean I'm a hypocrite who doesn't think drummers are viable members of society and therefore must admit that drumming can't produce real music is fucking out there, Dude.
  • Reply 203 of 243
    Quote:

Holy shit balls! I didn't think your crazy went to 11. Your "logic" that if I've never hired, say, a drummer who has no networking engineering skills it must mean I'm a hypocrite who doesn't think drummers are viable members of society and therefore must admit that drumming can't produce real music is fucking out there, Dude.

You didn't read what I wrote. Go back and READ IT AGAIN. Please. Calm down, drink some Camomile tea and take a chill pill. THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID.
  • Reply 204 of 243
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I struggle now to grasp... the Spanish languages.

Take a look at DuoLingo
  • Reply 205 of 243
    Quote:

No, go hire one of these rap culture people that don't have a HIGH SCHOOL diploma, a GED, or no experience with networking equipment or software that only speaks Ebonics, wears their pants below their rear end showing their underwear that only like to call people niggas, women bitches, and smokes pot, carries a concealed weapon.  This type of person is very much part of the rap culture and this is what you seem to like to promote, so hire them and pay them $80 to $150K a year to manage your network.  Yeah, like THAT will ever happen.

A drummer is a musician, they are qualified to create music or portions of the musical performance that requires that area of musical creation.  Someone that has the skill set to manage a network is what you hire to manage a network.  What I'm saying is that rap music predominately doesn't HIRE drummers to create drum parts or sequences to produce what the drummer would NORMALLY do.  Some of them did or do use drummers, but the majority or rap music doesn't use REAL drummers.  So they hire non-drummers and non-musicians to create these so-called beats.  Hence one of the reasons why rap music isn't really music or at least isn't high quality music.  The rest is that singers sing music, rapper rap, but rapping doesn't use melodies and melodies is an integral part of music and for most people that listen to music want to hear melodies, it's what gives us a melodic phrase to sing along to or hum along to.  But rap music pretty much doesn't have melodies, hence why it's not really music, or at least not something I would want to listen to.  The foul language in music?  Sorry, I can handle every once in a while a swear word to emphasis a point because I know some pop singers might say the F word or the S word from time to time, but not in every single sentence or every other word or throughout the entire song.  That's just wrong.  Now as far as degrading language towards women, plain and simple NO. You don't do that, but that's prevalent in rap music.  The rest of the lyrics in most rap music is just degrading to listen to and it fills the minds of children that listen to it and it's just a bad influence. so there is nothing anyone can convince me otherwise.

So if the rap music industry predominately doesn't use musicians to create the music, then you should hire these same people that don't have the skill set to manage a  network.  Because this attitude is what you are promoting, yet I defy you to hire a non-network administrator that has no skill set to manage a network that has no ability to speak English and they speak Ebonics instead.

• Reply 206 of 243
    You didn't read what I wrote. Go back and READ IT AGAIN. Please. Calm down, drink some Camomile tea and take a chill pill. THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID.

This is what you wrote:
    Oh, and since you are in the computer industry, why don't you hire some gangster to help you administrate a computer network. They don't need any real qualifications to play what you call music, so they shouldn't need any training and experience in how to administrate a Novell or Cisco network and shouldn't have to spend one single minute trying to explain them what you are doing. All you need to do is give them the admin password and let them run loose. Enjoy hiring a gangster rapper from the streets to help you administer a computer network. And how many gangster rappers have you hired and worked with? And you are calling me racist? And how many black people without any computer training have you ever hired and worked with? Sounds like your racist against hiring blacks in the computer industry.

gatorguy wrote: »
    Take a look at DuoLingo

I've logged a lot of hours on DuoLingo. Fantastic and beautiful app/website, which is synced across devices and their web interface. It's designed well to cover many aspects of vocabulary and simple usage forms, and even takes the time between lessons into account in determining if you should repeat a section again. Amazing app all around.

Unfortunately my shortcomings aren't with what Duolingo has been able to teach me. I can now figure out most Spanish I see written but I am still unable to discern what I hear, even when the speaker slows down in an attempt to accommodate me and I'm still unable to speak back anything other than short, canned sentences still take far to long to form. And my pronunciation is simply atrocious that even when I do speak a simple sentences the listener often doesn't know what I'm saying.

It's been less than a year since I started on this journey so perhaps I'm being too hard on myself but during my AI hiatus last Autumn and Winter I was spending about 40 hours a week between my class, homework, private tutor, and Spanish groups I found on Meetup.com. I thought that level of emergence (without specifically residing in a primarily Spanish speaking country) would make it come more naturally. Everyday I study but it feels like I'm making no progress.
  • Reply 207 of 243
    No, go hire one of these rap culture people that don't have a HIGH SCHOOL diploma, a GED, or no experience with networking equipment or software that only speaks Ebonics, wears their pants below their rear end showing their underwear that only like to call people niggas, women bitches, and smokes pot, carries a concealed weapon.  This type of person is very much part of the rap culture and this is what you seem to like to promote, so hire them and pay them $80 to $150K a year to manage your network.  Yeah, like THAT will ever happen.

A drummer is a musician, they are qualified to create music or portions of the musical performance that requires that area of musical creation.  Someone that has the skill set to manage a network is what you hire to manage a network.  What I'm saying is that rap music predominately doesn't HIRE drummers to create drum parts or sequences to produce what the drummer would NORMALLY do.  Some of them did or do use drummers, but the majority or rap music doesn't use REAL drummers.  So they hire non-drummers and non-musicians to create these so-called beats.  Hence one of the reasons why rap music isn't really music or at least isn't high quality music.  The rest is that singers sing music, rapper rap, but rapping doesn't use melodies and melodies is an integral part of music and for most people that listen to music want to hear melodies, it's what gives us a melodic phrase to sing along to or hum along to.  But rap music pretty much doesn't have melodies, hence why it's not really music, or at least not something I would want to listen to.  The foul language in music?  Sorry, I can handle every once in a while a swear word to emphasis a point because I know some pop singers might say the F word or the S word from time to time, but not in every single sentence or every other word or throughout the entire song.  That's just wrong.  Now as far as degrading language towards women, plain and simple NO. You don't do that, but that's prevalent in rap music.  The rest of the lyrics in most rap music is just degrading to listen to and it fills the minds of children that listen to it and it's just a bad influence. so there is nothing anyone can convince me otherwise.

So if the rap music industry predominately doesn't use musicians to create the music, then you should hire these same people that don't have the skill set to manage a  network.  Because this attitude is what you are promoting, yet I defy you to hire a non-network administrator that has no skill set to manage a network that has no ability to speak English and they speak Ebonics instead.

It's fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking amazing you don't realize the extent of your racially fueled hatred that you've convinced yourself is only because it's not real music.
  • Reply 208 of 243
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Well, as I can plainly see, YOU FORGOT THE BASIC ELEMENTS OF MUSIC.

As much as you appear to know, YOU FORGOT to mention the basic elements of music.

Let me refresh your memory.

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnerstheory/a/musicelements.htm

Have you tested rap music to see if it adhere to these basic elements of music?  Obvioulsy, you forgot to include MELODY.

Rapping isn't singing.  If they aren't singing, they aren't creating music.  Let me know when a reputable higher learning institution teaches kids how to create rap lyrics and rap music.   When they do, then MAYBE I'll listen to you.

All the music industry is doing is trying to capitalize and legitimize illiteracy and musical ignorance and applying the word RAP to it.  It's low grade music.  And i use the term lightly.

Glad I don't work with you, I wouldn't want to damage my reputation in this world by pandering to the lowest common demoninator.

You must think Justin Blieber is an excellent songwriter singer too!!

Open?  No. It's becoming popular because it gives the kids a way/excuse to not study Englsih, not study Music, and to walk around with their underwear hanging out, while they smoke pot, drink alcohol, do drugs, steal, degrade women and each other, get involved with guns, go in/out of the jail system and then blame society.

Miles Davis and others during the age when they were creating music that was combining REAL musical art forms that actually have and adhere to music and then pursuing forms of improvisation is OPEN.  RAP is closed.  You have to act like them, talk like them, look like them otherwise you don't fit their mold and they reject you, so THEY are the racists ones just trying to manipulate educated musicians into thinking it's special.

So, when does the London Symphony Orchestra ready to combine classical music and rap and put on a concert?  That will NEVER happen.

You are a disgrace to the music industry by promoting rap IMO.

Obviously, the top jazz musicians that even hinted of using rap with Jazz all failed at it because they don't do anything with it.  They might have experimented with it, but it didn't fit them moving forward. Yeah, like Herbie Hancock is going to bring a rapper to destroy his band's music when he performs with one of his V.S.O.P. groups.  That'll  never happen.

You are a SELL OUT.  Plenty of those around.

It would be interesting to see how one would chart out a rap song.     It's pretty hard to chart out a melody when they aren't singing a melody unless they through Auto Tune on the vocals to force it to a musical note.  Freaking BS  music.  There, I classified as music, but I also put the letters BS in front of it to describe what TYPE of music it is.  Happy Now?  My, Nigga...   (Nigga is being used to mean the word "friend")

I can only imagine what albums you have.

Motzart
    Copeland
    Miles Davis
    Dr. Dre
    Justin Bieber
    Vanilla Ice
    Strauss
    Devo
    Anthrax
    N.W.A.

So, when you perform your next rap concert?  Have you ever performed at one?  Just curious.  Do you have any rap albums I can listen to that you composed and performed?  I'm open minded enough to listen to it to see if I like it.  

Oh and your definition of "REAL" musicians is the ONLY definition?  Well, the "REAL" musicians that I've played with and studied from won't touch rap music with a 10 foot pole.  They hate.it.  They see no value in it.

Thee BASIC ELEMENTS were once earth, air, water, and fire, but we now know that's not true. The definition of anything isn't written in stone and is agreed upon by mere men which then allows other men the right to change it.

Did Steve Jobs not go against conventional ideals? He was a master at reimagining the status quo. How is this any different?

I clearly remember back in the 70s when Rock was the devil's music, and the musicians were devil worshippers. I remember seeing on the news records being played backwards to see if there were any satanic messages. Any new form of music is criticized and referred to as not being music. You have every right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to define what music is.

Btw some of the biggest rap stars at the moment are Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Go check them out, and see if they fit the mold you insist a rapper needs to fit.
  • Reply 209 of 243
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You have every right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to define what music is.

I'd argue he has the right to redefine anything he wants for his own personal usage, and he can even work to get others to adopt his new definitions, but for him to also ignore every definition that goes against his "views" is absurdity wrapped in ignorance.
  • Reply 210 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Thee BASIC ELEMENTS were once earth, air, water, and fire, but we now know that's not true. The definition of anything isn't written in stone and is agreed upon by mere men which then allows other men the right to change it.

Did Steve Jobs not go against conventional ideals? He was a master at reimagining the status quo. How is this any different?

I clearly remember back in the 70s when Rock was the devil's music, and the musicians were devil worshippers. I remember seeing on the news records being played backwards to see if there were any satanic messages. Any new form of music is criticized and referred to as not being music. You have every right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to define what music is.

Btw some of the biggest rap stars at the moment are Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Go check them out, and see if they fit the mold you insist a rapper needs to fit.

I'm not talking about the basic elements of the earth, I'm talking about the basic elements of MUSIC.  So why are you trying to change the subject? 

Why are you bringing Steve Jobs into the subject?  Did he calling his colleagues niggas, bitches, ho's, and only talking Ebonics?

I can understand going against conventional ideas..  That's fine.  That's why I listen to music that not conventional for this society.  But it has a lot of great musicianship and fuses lots of styles of music that has been formalized throughout the years and what they do is fuse different musical genres to create something unique and then add improvisation to it so it makes it even more artistic and unique so each performance is a work of art.  That's what I like to listen to much of the time.

Oh, I know the whole BS behind what happened with Rock.  No, I'm not going to go there, other than the rock bands that have Satanistic crap throughout their lyrics, and everything they do in their theatrics.  That to me is just immature, boring and I don't give it much of my time.  

What the Beatles and Stones etc. did was new, different, etc.  A lot of what they did back then was drug and alcohol induced good/bad.  yeah, I know been there seen it, yada yada yada.  Some of it got really glamorized in the media, etc. and the kids growing up got hooked into it. I really wish it didn't have that element looking back in retrospect.  I know a LOT of people that got screwed up by drugs and alcohol and it's not pretty to see the effects of what that stuff. Some wised up and got away from it and didn't.  It's caused a bunch of talented people to die much too early.  Which is what people have to realize.

But at LEAST, the majority of the rock music that came out of the 60's and 70's was created by musicians with varying levels of musicianship, whether they could all read and write music is one thing, but some of them were VERY much a fan of and listened and studied a log of forms of music including, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Latin, Classical Indian, maybe even some other lessor known musical forms that have theory and rules for creating it and that this was blended together to create unique songs and they were just getting exposed to new recording techniques and special effects that they experimented with etc.  A lot of cool stuff came out of it, and a lot of not so cool stuff, but the majority of it was really keen on melody lines, and musicianship (as best as they could).  Now, people seem to throw that away.  Kids today that get into the pop market don't study these genres mentioned all that much and they mostly just try to mimic their favorite singer and that's what's missing.  If these kids can't study these earlier forms of music and really understand it, then all they do is come up with copying someone else's style, and ending up being cliche and a copycat. Not much originality.   And then we have the people that seem to not even care about learning ANYTHING about music creating "SO-CALLED MUSIC" and then we reach a new level of lower level musicianship or what should have some musicianship, but they prefer NO musicianship.  And that's certain types of music that gets sold and popularized.  Oh well.

I'm finding myself more interested less and less in anything popular and going back to just getting my old catalog updated with better digital remasters of the music I've grown to love because I can STILL listen it years later and STILL enjoy just as much as I did when I was younger. It's not that I'm stuck in the past, it's because there really isn't much today that's actually interesting, but I do find a few gems here and there.

Oh, I checked out Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Can't Hold Us.  Here's my HONEST take on it.

So far, it starts out with music, good start.the heavily processed vocal ruins it and then the BS rapping begins.  Nope, Once he starts rapping is where the sense of musicianship stops because the background noises wasn't programmed by a musician, it was programmed by one of these SOUND STYLISTS or whatever term they call them.  Oh well. Another bunch of BS if you ask me.  I thought because he interjected some African rhythms or the classical piece, they were not an integral part of the music, just the intro.   Oh, and then he gets that wannabe singer with heavy use of Pitch Correction to cover up the fact that he can't sing.      Nothing for me to get involved with. NEXT....

Now, since I did give it an OPEN MIND to listen to it, now go check out an incredible bass player by the name of Michael Manring.  Check out his album The Book of Flame.  Whether he plays with other musicians or by himself (which is what he does normally,) he's insane and just REALLY unique. And this is REAL honest musicianship and ART.

Now, if you want old school that's just a classic song, check out the old Stax recording of the Staple singers I'll Take you There.  Classic recording.  They don't create classic songs like this anymore, which is a shame.

• Reply 211 of 243
    I'd argue he has the right to redefine anything he wants for his own personal usage, and he can even work to get others to adopt his new definitions, but for him to also ignore every definition that goes against his "views" is absurdity wrapped in ignorance.

I was interrupted and lost my train of thought. The end of the sentence I forgot was "for everyone else". If he wants to hold on to conventional definitions he has that right. He really sounds like all the people that never thought SJ could create a successful phone because they were the 'phone' people, and Apple was not.
  • Reply 212 of 243
    I'm not talking about the basic elements of the earth, I'm talking about the basic elements of MUSIC.  So why are you trying to change the subject? 

Why are you bringing Steve Jobs into the subject?  Did he calling his colleagues niggas, bitches, ho's, and only talking Ebonics?

I can understand going against conventional ideas..  That's fine.  That's why I listen to music that not conventional for this society.  But it has a lot of great musicianship and fuses lots of styles of music that has been formalized throughout the years and what they do is fuse different musical genres to create something unique and then add improvisation to it so it makes it even more artistic and unique so each performance is a work of art.  That's what I like to listen to much of the time.

Oh, I know the whole BS behind what happened with Rock.  No, I'm not going to go there, other than the rock bands that have Satanistic crap throughout their lyrics, and everything they do in their theatrics.  That to me is just immature, boring and I don't give it much of my time.  

What the Beatles and Stones etc. did was new, different, etc.  A lot of what they did back then was drug and alcohol induced good/bad.  yeah, I know been there seen it, yada yada yada.  Some of it got really glamorized in the media, etc. and the kids growing up got hooked into it. I really wish it didn't have that element looking back in retrospect.  I know a LOT of people that got screwed up by drugs and alcohol and it's not pretty to see the effects of what that stuff. Some wised up and got away from it and didn't.  It's caused a bunch of talented people to die much too early.  Which is what people have to realize.

But at LEAST, the majority of the rock music that came out of the 60's and 70's was created by musicians with varying levels of musicianship, whether they could all read and write music is one thing, but some of them were VERY much a fan of and listened and studied a log of forms of music including, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Latin, Classical Indian, maybe even some other lessor known musical forms that have theory and rules for creating it and that this was blended together to create unique songs and they were just getting exposed to new recording techniques and special effects that they experimented with etc.  A lot of cool stuff came out of it, and a lot of not so cool stuff, but the majority of it was really keen on melody lines, and musicianship (as best as they could).  Now, people seem to throw that away.  Kids today that get into the pop market don't study these genres mentioned all that much and they mostly just try to mimic their favorite singer and that's what's missing.  If these kids can't study these earlier forms of music and really understand it, then all they do is come up with copying someone else's style, and ending up being cliche and a copycat. Not much originality.   And then we have the people that seem to not even care about learning ANYTHING about music creating "SO-CALLED MUSIC" and then we reach a new level of lower level musicianship or what should have some musicianship, but they prefer NO musicianship.  And that's certain types of music that gets sold and popularized.  Oh well.

I'm finding myself more interested less and less in anything popular and going back to just getting my old catalog updated with better digital remasters of the music I've grown to love because I can STILL listen it years later and STILL enjoy just as much as I did when I was younger. It's not that I'm stuck in the past, it's because there really isn't much today that's actually interesting, but I do find a few gems here and there.

Oh, I checked out Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Can't Hold Us.  Here's my HONEST take on it.

So far, it starts out with music, good start.the heavily processed vocal ruins it and then the BS rapping begins.  Nope, Once he starts rapping is where the sense of musicianship stops because the background noises wasn't programmed by a musician, it was programmed by one of these SOUND STYLISTS or whatever term they call them.  Oh well. Another bunch of BS if you ask me.  I thought because he interjected some African rhythms or the classical piece, they were not an integral part of the music, just the intro.   Oh, and then he gets that wannabe singer with heavy use of Pitch Correction to cover up the fact that he can't sing.      Nothing for me to get involved with. NEXT....

Now, since I did give it an OPEN MIND to listen to it, now go check out an incredible bass player by the name of Michael Manring.  Check out his album The Book of Flame.  Whether he plays with other musicians or by himself (which is what he does normally,) he's insane and just REALLY unique. And this is REAL honest musicianship and ART.

Now, if you want old school that's just a classic song, check out the old Stax recording of the Staple singers I'll Take you There.  Classic recording.  They don't create classic songs like this anymore, which is a shame.

Michael Manring is definitely very talented, thanks for sharing that. When it comes to bass playing I'm more of a Les Claypool fan. The youth will be just fine. Have you ever seen Rodrigo and Gabriela?

Btw I'm sure Beethoven and Mozart would be aghast at some of what you consider music.
  • Reply 213 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Michael Manring is definitely very talented, thanks for sharing that. When it comes to bass playing I'm more of a Les Claypool fan. The youth will be just fine. Have you ever seen Rodrigo and Gabriela?

Btw I'm sure Beethoven and Mozart would be aghast at some of what you consider music.

Well, There not around to make the comment so I would speak on their behalf unless you know them personally.  Obviously, you haven't heard what McLaughlin has done with various symphony orchestra over the years.  George Martin considers the album he did with McLaughlin was one of the best records he (Martin) ever made.  So, I don't know if Beethoween and Mozart would not like McLaughlin. He would at least stretch your brain to fuse Eastern and Western influences and then take them to another level of improvisation that's just impossible to mimic.  He's looked up to by ALL guitar players in any genre.  He's the REAL deal.  No gimmicks. No cliches.

I'm actually a big fan of the old school original Fusion players.  They are the one's that REALLY understand musical genres and how to combine them to create a new and VERY original form of music and be able to improvise on top and interact with each other.

As far as Flamenco, Paco is the one I prefer, even though he passed away.  Mclaughlin is my all time favorite and he's just beyond genius level. 

Rodrigo and Gabriela are a little on the gimmicky side for my taste. Certainly talented, but not deep enough melodically speaking.

• Reply 214 of 243

OK for those that are NOT familiar with the word SONG.  Here's some definitions for you.

Oh and take notice of the section where it discusses SINGING.  There isn't any reference to the word RAPPING lyrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

Here's a section that is most important.  READ AND WEEP.

"In music, a song is a composition for voice or voices, performed by singing or alongside musical instruments. A choral or vocal song may be accompanied by musical instruments, or it may be unaccompanied, as in the case of a cappella songs." Wikipedia.

Oh and it says basically the same thing in a variety of dictionaries, but I think this is the best version to use IMO.

• Reply 215 of 243
    OK for those that are NOT familiar with the word SONG.  Here's some definitions for you.

Oh and take notice of the section where it discusses SINGING.  There isn't any reference to the word RAPPING lyrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

Here's a section that is most important.  READ AND WEEP.

"In <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Music">music</a>
    , a song is a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_composition" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Musical composition">composition</a>
     for <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_voice" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Human voice">voice</a>
     or voices, performed by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Singing">singing</a>
     or alongside musical <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruments" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Instruments">instruments</a>
    . A choral or vocal song may be accompanied by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_instrument" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Musical instrument">musical instruments</a>
    , or it may be unaccompanied, as in the case of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_cappella" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="A cappella">a cappella</a>
     songs." Wikipedia.

Oh and it says basically the same thing in a variety of dictionaries, but I think this is the best version to use IMO.

Your argument wasn't that it wasn't some definition of a song because it didn't have a vocal singing, but that it wasn't music, even though you were given plenty of examples that included vocal singing. Regardless, no matter you spin it you're wrong that rap music isn't music.

song |sôNG|
    noun
    • a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.
    • singing or vocal music.
    • a musical composition suggestive of a song.
    • a poem, esp. one in rhymed stanzas.

music |?myo?ozik|
    noun
    • vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
    • the art or science of composing or performing music.
    • the written or printed signs representing vocal or instrumental sound.
    • the score or scores of a musical composition or compositions.

So how exactly is it possible to have sheet music for something that you claim isn't music?

• Reply 216 of 243
    Quote:

Your argument wasn't that it wasn't some definition of a song because it didn't have a vocal singing, but that it wasn't music, even though you were given plenty of examples that included vocal singing. Regardless, no matter you spin it you're wrong that rap music isn't music.

song |sôNG|

noun

• a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.

• singing or vocal music.

• a musical composition suggestive of a song.

• a poem, esp. one in rhymed stanzas.

music |?myo?ozik|

noun

• vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

• the art or science of composing or performing music.

• the written or printed signs representing vocal or instrumental sound.

• the score or scores of a musical composition or compositions.

So how exactly is it possible to have sheet music for something that you claim isn't music?

Did you have to run the vocals through Auto Tune or were they already run through Auto Tune to make it appear like it's music?

I'll bet you will have a tough time finding brothers from the hood able to read and reproduce that chart without having heard the song before hand.  They probably couldn't sight read.

And where's the music portion? Does it have drum, bass, guitar, keyboard, horn, string or any other MUSICAL instrument parts charted?

Rapping is not singing, but in songs, there's singing.  

Plus the chart's too small for me to even read it.  Post a pdf version so I can actually tell what the chart says.  It's not supposed to an eye chart to test my eyesight.  

Run Dr. Dre's stuff chart that out.  

And is there harmony?  It does say harmony doesn't it?  

• Reply 217 of 243
    ...brothers from the hood...

Nope, no racism there¡
  • Reply 218 of 243
    Quote:

Nope, no racism there¡

That's not being racist.   When I would play funk, R&B music with people that were black, that's how THEY would refer it.   But you wouldn't know that because you've never hung out with people from the hood.  That's how they talk and if you can assimilate with them, then you can't belong in their cliche.  

• Reply 219 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Here's something else, although unrelated…

I guess Jay-Z now has a 100 problems.

Including Solange, that'd be 101. ????
  • Reply 220 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That's not being racist.   When I would play funk, R&B music with people that were black, that's how THEY would refer it.   But you wouldn't know that because you've never hung out with people from the hood.  That's how they talk and if you can assimilate with them, then you can't belong in their cliche.  

Waitaminnit... Are you also a doctor?