Rumor: Beats' Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre could take the stage at Apple's WWDC

Comments

• Reply 141 of 243
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Says the guy that says rap music isn't music.

You're clearly not demonstrating that here. All you're doing is saying how you much more you know whilst showing your ignorance.

Sure, you can think that.

And you have claims that the music Dre has produced isn't real music if there is rapping on it as if that nullifies that the rest of the song's legitimacy. Oh wait, you claims that if there is minimal rapping on a pop song it can still be considered music. How fucking gracious of you. image

No shit yet you're the one that has said rap music isn't music.

The depth of your knowledge is truly awe-inspiring¡

More BS.

You can't be fucking serious?! You don't even know the definition of music when it's in front of you.
    music |?myo?ozik|

noun

1 vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

That's the New Oxford American Dictionary, 3rd Edition

1) You keep saying this. Has wishful thinking ever really worked out for you in the past?

2) I suppose anyone who hasn't written a novel can't determine what a novel is either.

It's fine that you don't like it (no one claims that is wrong) but your comment just sounds condescending and douchie when you claim that rap music isn't music then recite specious and supercilious ideologies that are only appear to be propping up your insecurities about music and have mostly died out a long time ago. You're just as bad as the people that say street art isn't art of that Picasco wasn't a good painter.

Well, there are many definitions of the word MUSIC.  The pop music industry has all of these weird names for genres that have emerged throughout the years that were never heard of and the definitions of these genres are sometimes were non specific as to how to describe a musical genre. From a musicologists perspective they try to list what describes a certain STYLE of music.  Jazz has definite theories behind it and has spawned subgroups that some old school jazz critics don't like and some don't mind since they catch on from a money making standpoint.  Look at Smooth Jazz.  If you talk to a jazz scholar, there is predominately nothing related to a lot of the so-called Smooth Jazz music that's really could be considered jazz.  to me, it's instrumental pop music.  You know, the guys like Kenny G.  Yes, Kenny Gorlick used to play jazz and funk jazz before he turned into Kenny G and played smooth jazz, but when he plays smooth jazz, there is no jazz scales or anything to do with what they teach jazz students about how to play jazz.  But since he's playing a saxophone that's predominately used in jazz music and the guy was a jazz musician prior to his transformation, the marketing department had to come up with a marketing term to describe that style and they ended up becoming smooth jazz because it sounded better than instrumental pop music.  Some of this stuff becomes a fad or is successful for a period of time until it dies off and something else takes it's place.  Some jazz artists are FORCED by the record labels to do that style because that's what's selling and they are always trying to create some of these artists to see how they can sell music.  Look at Herbie Hancock's career. But Herbie's REAL jazz is what's he's best at and is considered lasting the test of time.  A couple of his funk jazz stuff remains credible, but that Rockit album?  That SUCKED.  It had that stupid hit they overplayed on MTV for a while with the scratcher, but that crap got REAL old and he doesn't play it anymore.  It was a failed attempt at bringing hip hop to jazz.   It worked for the idiots that didn't know of Herbie Hancock, jazz or anything having to do with REAL music, but his long time fans that were there before he went commercial were rolling their eyes thinking it was a joke. He gained one audience that was predominately ignorant people brainwashed by MTV. But he lost his long time audience.   Me included.  I stopped buying his albums at a certain point and I'm waiting for him to put out a REALLY great album.   So what does Herbie do now?  He either tries to influence pop guys like John Mayer with jazz to create jazz pop or pop jazz with some integrity or he goes back to where he came from and plays traditional styles of jazz or the jazz funk he was good at BEFORE he sold out and went too commercial. Bu this best recordings stopped in the mid  70's.  I gave up on Herbie after the Secrets album, because I liked his form of jazz funk, but I only listen to what does with traditional jazz mostly.  That's what's REAL, AUTHENTIC and NO BS record label marketing hype.   The pop world screws with music as they want to get people's attention as to what's going to sell and make money, even if it's conjuring up some BS form of music and trying to sell it to the idiots that don't have much musical background.  They are the ones that are easy to manipulate.    Just look at some of acts that had hits over the years that didn't last.   That's why there is a lot of disagreement between formally educated musicians and the people that follow the latest trend or fad in pop music.  There's too much dishonesty in pop music and it's gotten worse and worse over the years.

• Reply 142 of 243
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    xpad wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure all the devs there are Mac users.

They have to be to develop. It's a dev conference so most are mobile or iOS devs for which you need a mac.
  • Reply 143 of 243
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Only three Beats rumours today? Apple Insider, you're slacking.
  • Reply 144 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ... can't innovate, my ass!

Can't innovate... does this computer make my ass look big?

LOL ... No, Phil -- everything makes your ass look big!
  • Reply 145 of 243
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    drblank wrote: »
    Get off your ego trip.  I know a LOT more about music than you can possibly fathom.  You aren't a musician that has played a variety of style of music on any professional level.   Music doesn't always have to have vocals to be music.  Most classical music doesn't have vocals.  music can produce different types of moods, there is experimental forms of music, but it's all performed by musicians.   Rap is predominately not performed by musicians.  

"Don't think that composed vocals and/or instrumental sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony and expression of emotion is music"?  What are you talking about.   Then since you aren't a musician, what do you THINK music is?  Define music, or define a form of music that's legitimate and to be taken seriously?

Again, I must reiterate, you aren't a musician, so what ever you THINK doesn't really hold much validity unless you can get a lot of musicians to agree with you.  Again,  i have stated there are good and bad forms of music or what people THINK is music.  Who decides that?  We as individuals ultimately decide.  You can think rap music is music all day long, but i will never agree with that nor will i agree that it's a good form of music that should be promoted, bought, sold, and performed without the use of trained (self taught or formally trained) musicians.  You can't have music without musicians.  That's who performs music.  Non-musicians can't perform music very well, which is why they aren't considered musicians.  to my knowledge rapping isn't taught in music conservatories that I know.  Professional vocal instructors don't normally teach people how to rap.  Rapping is more of street music.  There isn't much, if any musical theory ?<span style="line-height:22px;">behind rap music.  There's no chord </span>
    progressions<span style="line-height:22px;"> that are in rap music, there are no scales in rap music that are used, so there really isn't </span>
    much musicianship other than understanding rhythm and talking in a rhymic fashion, but without those melody lines, there isn't much for the listener to hang on to from a melodic standpoint.   And the culture that it breeds is pretty much dumbed to the point where it breeds stupidity.   Again, you listen to a lot of rap music and have Dr. Dre's CDs in your collection and hang around that crowd of people that listen to rap music?

There have been producers like Quincy Jones that experimented with jazz and putting rap to it and it failed.  It didn't catch on at all. That's why it's rarely done by anyone of significance in the jazz world.  It was more of a gimmick.  They do it sometimes in rock like what Run DMC did with that Aerosmith song, it was catchy and sold, but it was done once and it was more of a gimmick.  I don't see Steven Tyler calling Run DMC or any of those other idiots doing entire records with rap artists and taking them on the road, do you?  NO, it was more of a gimmick.  It worked for a little while, but it's not seen as anything that serious other than it made some money and was famous for a little while, but it pretty much died shortly thereafter and I don't think that many people actually pull that out and replay it anywhere.  It's been a while since i've heard it, but it got old REAL fast. But it wasn't really a rap song, it was rappers rapping to a rock song.  Even Tyler doesn't sing like that on most of his material.

True!!

There's tons of different experimental music out there like jazz, electronic and...rap.

Steven Tyler never called those niggers for a show because rock and rap dont mix! and isnt real music. its gimmicks!! (well except for The Beastie Boys songs, but they dont count cause there white)

also Dre NEVER uses melodies or the chord progressions!! So it isnt real music!!

• Reply 146 of 243
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member
    He doesn't swear publicly on a normal basis.  Yeah, but is he putting out computers that have swear words and vulgarity in the manuals of their products or laced within the OS warning messages?  Seriously, putting in words as a form of entertainment and selling it for a profit and marketing it and glamorizing it is what is disgusting.  yeah, most of have sworn, that's different.  But to something you call music?  NO.   Did Jobs go around calling each other "My nigga" and calling his wife a HO?  Or his children some derogatory word?  I don't think so.  Again, using some flawed example to try to prove your weak argument.  Sorry, you can't tell me that Jobs called his wife a ho. or anyone at Apple his nigga.  Do you have proof of that?  NO. You don't.

Please, give it a rest.
    hip hop is a type of rhythm. I've played hip hop rhythms with jazz players for some instrumental music, but it was just the rhythm that was being played, but there was no rapping involved.  So, hip hop can be used in something that's a little more closer to music.   But, I didn't always like playing it unless someone had a good melody line to come up, but a lot of times it became boring and I got sick of it and to me it's more of a fad.  It's difficult to create a decent song around a hip hop groove.  I don't hear too many that I can honestly say I like over the years.  I may like it for a short period of time and then it wears on me and it becomes boring. I see it being used to try to sell something as jazz and that's kind of silly to me.  So, Hip Hop is more of the rhythm being played than rapping.  Rapping is done to a hip hop groove, but if the groove isn't using musicians, then it becomes less important.

Dr. Dre is a big component in a PORTION of the music industry.  For the record, there is not one single piece of music in my entire collection that I can honestly say that Dr. Dre AND Iovine had much involvement.  I still have yet to have anything in my record collection that has either one of them involved and I have a pretty big catalog of music that's growing and I wasn't even TRYING to avoid music with their involvement. If I have ANYTHING, it might be one or two songs that Ivonine might have produced, but again, I have to go back and check and it's probably something I rarely listen to.   Dr. Dre is important to a small portion of the music industry.  There are lots and lots of people in the music industry that have never met him, won't ever meet him and will never work with either of them.  EVER.  You know, like WORLD CLASS MUSICIANS.   They won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.  He only goes after rappers.  World Class Musicians is whom I look up to for guidance.  A lot of them moved away out cut out much of their involvement with some of these record labels and they either have their own or work with another record label that's got NOTHING to do with these guys.  So, again, just because they marketed these headphones successfully and sold the company to Apple means that they are big movers and shakers.   Iovnine was never a major label executive, he was with smaller labels that got bought out.  Dr. Dre only focuses on a small portion of the music industry so that's the only section he can have any muscle in.  Until Dr. Dre or Iovine becomes the CEO of Sony Records or the CEO of BMG, they are kind of small time operators.  Just to give you a hint of reality.  Do you know the show American Idol?  The only celebrities they have on the show are those that WERE famous and they are on the end of their career and they are trying to market themselves to the younger generation and many times, they fail.  Iovine was part of American Idol, but they have only a couple of winners that actually do anything of great significance in the pop world, but it's mostly because they market the crap out of them.  If they didn't, they wouldn't sell as many albums.  But everyone on the roster of American Idol that's famous isn't at their peak anymore they are on the down hill spiral and they are just trying to still be relevant to the younger generation. It's the truth.  The REAL people in the music industry see American Idol as kind of a joke. It's a marketing job and a cheesy way to use people to make money.

Sounds like you guys bought up the hype.  Good luck with all of that.
    I have no idea what American Idol has to do with this. I've never watched it.

All producers work in a subset of the industry. They work where they want to focus.

You don't like rap. We get it. Cool. I hope typing out these essays was a good use of your valuable time.

Now I will leave this thread as it finally got to the point where you and another are calling all rappers the n word. Thanks AI.
  • Reply 147 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    auxio wrote: »

I understand completely.  However, what's your definition of an instrument?  And would you also ignore the role of sound engineers in the music-making process?  The more you learn about music, and the more things you attempt in the production process, the more you realize you don't know.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Andre Young (aka Dr. Dre) has been around the music business for a very long time and been involved in many roles.  Production, post-production, etc.  To dismiss him as a non-musician requires a fairly narrow perspective on things.</span>
    An instrument or a musical instrument? And what's your definition of a musician and someone qualified to play a musical instrument as a profession?  I know of plenty of master percussionists that would use found objects, but they have studied and practiced traditional forms of music either from a private instructor, through a formalized process, etc.  But they are MUSICIANS.  Some ass wipe using a turntable screwing up perfectly good albums to create a scratching noise?  That's BARELY qualified to be a musical instrument.  Some are good at it, but it's more of a fad that's lasted entirely longer than it should because ignorant people are impressed by people doing it.  It's more of a gimmick than a real instrument in my book.   Playing a drum machine?  Those were SUPPOSED to be used primarily as a means to practice or for songwriting and not really meant to replace drummers, even though they have in some circumstances.  Some use them in ADDITION to real musicians.  

Production and post production isn't PLAYING an instrument, it's just during the process of making or finishing the product, but that doesn't mean it's really music.  It's being marketed that way and it makes money, but it's certainly shouldn't be taken as anything serious on any level.  To think that it should be listened to with any seriousness is kind of being a lazy person that doesn't want to REALLY study music that's been around and solidified into REAL HONEST music.

What is this then?

It is one artist singing over herself, a cappella -- doing all the post/creation/mixing on a Mac. She became so involved in the process that even she cannot tell how many parts she is singing.

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=87177

or this?

[VIDEO]

Then this:

At about 1:14 in Sheena is harmonizing with herself

[VIDEO]

Sheena is a friend who is a songwriter, composer, singer, pianist and she frequently records and mixes her own performances.

The next one was recorded, from Tokyo, after a LiveCast -- while on the air (AIR, using Yahoo !Music) with a canned background. The recording took several hours with about 20 retakes. Sheena's husband, Dinesh, did the recording and mixing, her friend Aki held up flash cards with the words. Sheena insisted that the recording had to be a single take, end-to-end, Sheena and Dinesh did the post on a Mac.

Apologies for the quality of this video -- there were problems ...

[VIDEO]

I cite these examples because the creation/mixing/post roles are blurring -- where many current and upcoming performers are perfectionists and want to participate at every level -- even if their hands aren't doing the actual cutting/editing, they want to decide what goes into the process to get the production they want.

"To think that it should be listened to with any seriousness is kind of being a lazy person that doesn't want to REALLY study music that's been around and solidified into REAL HONEST music."

I don't think any of the above could be called lazy! In the case of Sheena, she is professionally trained and schooled (McGill) and has been performing since the age of 6. I submit that all of these examples (including the one below) are REAL HONEST music.

Why are you dismissing everything else? Is it too difficult to study a real instrument and create something that actually uses REAL musicians, has REAL melody, harmony, etc.?  Is that too difficult to do?  Anyone can learn how to program a sequencer to come up with something that's just as good as any of these guys. It just takes getting used to a software program and knowing the most basic level of rhythm, but the software does most of the work. 

Software and synthesizers in the hands of a REAL musician is so much different than someone that doesn't have any serious musical training.

^^^ This:

[VIDEO]

What sucks is the level of musicianship for a lot of these so-called "artists" is not really there.  It's a shame when you look at an album and there's not one single musician playing an actual musical instrument during the production.  It shows that there are too many musically ignorant kids getting manipulated by the media and society into thinking this stuff you THINK is music.  Sorry, you are going to have a tough time convincing a musician that this stuff should replace REAL music created by musicians.  It only teaches kids that they don't have to study music to make money in the music industry.  This type of mentality would NOT work 30+ years ago.  Heck, a LONG time ago, they wouldn't even hire a studio musician unless you read music.  Does Dr. Dre know how to read music as a producer?  He should.  Most of the REAL legendary producers like George Martin, Quincy Jones, and others that have produced legendary classic albums in pop music DEFINITELY know how to read music and those guys CAN play instruments and they know many different styles of music.  I look up to them, but Dr. Dre I dismiss as some scam artist that just happened to market his crap to ignorant children.
  • Reply 148 of 243
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

and Eminem to replace Jony Ive as head of design.

Somebody get me a parallel universe portal, because I want to take a look at this.

• Reply 149 of 243
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member
    Two more reasons not to go this year.
  • Reply 150 of 243
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

Two more reasons not to go this year.

• Reply 151 of 243
    gregnacugregnacu Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

So it is a huge factor, not both. Thanks for clarifying.

First this: http://xkcd.com/386/  To lighten our mood. :)

If I say, "It's a sunny day, but it's not a sunny day."  Okay, I get it, that sounds contradictory and kinda weird. But if I say, "This isn't the BEST icecream in the world, but it totally is!" That actually means something and isn't contradictory.  In order for language to work both parties have to try to understand the meaning behind the choice of each other's words.

"It's not huge factor, but it totally is." is a way of saying something true, with very few words, that is highly nuanced and not at all black and white.  And I got it, and you didn't.

Anyway.  At least one other person got it, because they quoted me and said "Exactly x2."

• Reply 152 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tipty View Post

It really just sounds like you don't like hip hop or rap and just dismiss the entire thing with a lot of musical snobbery. Music is more than your rigid guidelines and rules. It's an expression, sometimes a story. Many of the rap music people dismiss are full of emotion, meaning and poetry, with core elements of rhythm, melody and timing. Much more so than some other drivel that people normally associate as popular music. 

And frankly, it doesn't even sound like you know much about Dr. Dre at all but dismiss him as a scam artist. 

A story?  Oh please.  They are using made up words and vulgar words to get people's attention, but most of these so-called lyrics are almost incoherent to non-Ebonic speaking people.

Here's are the lyrics for one of the current top rap songs.  You read the lyrics and axe (Ebonic for the word ask) yourself if you think these are lyrics you want your children to be listening to?   I'm sure you probably understand what they are saying without getting a headache.   Remember, they are making a fortune with this.  And you think this is positive for society to have on the market?  

"No Lie"

(feat. Drake)

[Verse 1: 2 Chainz]

I am smoking on that gas, life should be on Cinemax

Movie, Bought my boo bigger tits and a bigger ass

Who he's, not I, I smoke strong, that Popeye

Louie V's in my archives, black diamonds, apartheid

Bread up and my top down

On the block with a block out

Hit ya ass with that block out

Dope enough to go in yo nostrils

I'll take ya girl and kid nap her

Feed her to my mattress

The skeleton in my closet

It's probably dead ass rappers

It's probably pussy ass niggas

Don't try me I pull that trigga

Got ya car note in my cup

And your rent in my swisha

That pussy so good I miss ya

Head game's so vicious

And all I get is cheese

Like I'm taking pictures

[Hook: Drake]

I say **** you, 'less I'm with' ya

If I take you out of the picture

I know real niggas won't miss ya

No lie, no lie, no lie-ee-I-ee-I

Real niggas, say word,

Ye ain't never told no lie

Real niggas, say word,

Real niggas, stay true

That's a thing I don't do

Nah I just do it for the niggas

That are trying to see a million 'fore they die

Wattup

[Verse 2: Drake]

2 Chainz and champagne

You want true, that's true enough

Forbes list like every year

My office is my tour bus

She came through, she brought food

She got fucked, she knew wassup

She think I'm the realest out

And I say "damn, that makes two of us"

Oh that look like what's her name

Chances are there's what's her name

Chances are, if she was acting up

Then I fucked her once and never fucked again

She could have a Grammy, I still treat her ass like a nominee

Just need to know what that pussy like so one time it's fine with me

Young as an intern, with money like I built the shit

Streets talking that confirm

Go ask them who just catch shit

Stay keeping my cup full so I'm extra charged like a state tax

Me an' Chainz go way back

We don't talk shit, we just say facts (Yes Lord)

Real niggas, say word,

Real niggas, say word,

Real niggas, stay true

Wattup

[Verse 3: 2 Chainz]

Name a nigga that want some

I'll out rap his ass

I'll trap his ass

Put his ass in a plastic bag with his trashy ass

Take 'em out, bring 'em in

Them whole things, 2Pac without a nose ring

Thug Life, one wife, a mistress and a girlfriend

I did what they say I wouldn't (go)

Went where they say I couldn't (true)

YSL belt buckle

Ya'll niggas sure is looking

Ya'll niggas sure is lucky

2 Chainz on my rugby

Left hand on that steering wheel

Right hand on that pussy

Real niggas, say word,

Real niggas, say word,

Real niggas, stay true

Wattup

Here's another one for you to look at.  This is one of Dr. Dre's famous rap song's lyrics.   Enjoy.

"**** The Police"

[MC Ren as Court Officer]

Right about now, N.W.A. court is in full effect

Judge Dre presiding

In the case of N.W.A. vs. the Police Department;

prosecuting attourneys are: MC Ren, Ice Cube, 

and Eazy-motherfuckin-E

[Dr. Dre as The Judge]

Order, order, order

Ice Cube, take the motherfuckin stand

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth

and nothin but the truth so help your black ass?

[Ice Cube as Witness]

You god damn right!

[Dr. Dre]

Well won't you tell everybody what the **** you gotta say?

[Ice Cube]

**** the police comin straight from the underground

A young nigga got it bad cause I'm brown

And not the other color so police think

they have the authority to kill a minority

**** that shit, cause I ain't the one

for a punk motherfucker with a badge and a gun

to be beatin on, and thrown in jail

We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell

Fuckin with me cause I'm a teenager

with a little bit of gold and a pager

Searchin my car, lookin for the product

Thinkin every nigga is sellin narcotics

You'd rather see, me in the pen

than me and Lorenzo rollin in a Benz-o

Beat a police out of shape

and when I'm finished, bring the yellow tape

To tape off the scene of the slaughter

Still gettin swoll off bread and water

I don't know if they fags or what

Search a nigga down, and grabbin his nuts

And on the other hand, without a gun they can't get none

But don't let it be a black and a white one

Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top

Black police showin out for the white cop

Ice Cube will swarm

on ANY motherfucker in a blue uniform

Just cause I'm from, the CPT

Ounk police are afraid of me!

HUH, a young nigga on the warpath

And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath

of cops, dyin in L.A.

Yo Dre, I got somethin to say

[cut and scratched x4] "**** the police"

Example of scene one

[Cop] Pull your god damn ass over right now

[NWA] Aww shit, now what the **** you pullin me over for?

[Cop] Cause I feel like it!

Just sit your ass on the curb and shut the **** up

[NWA] Man, **** this shit

[Cop] Aight smartass, I'm takin your black ass to jail!

[Dr. Dre]

MC Ren, will you please give your testimony 

to the jury about this fucked up incident?

[MC Ren] 

**** the police and Ren said it with authority

because the niggaz on the street is a majority

A gang, is with whoever I'm steppin

and the motherfuckin weapon is kept in 

a stash box, for the so-called law

Wishin Ren was a nigga that they never saw

Lights start flashin behind me

But they're scared of a nigga so they mace me to blind me

But that shit don't work, I just laugh

because it gives em a hint, not to step in my path

For police, I'm sayin, "**** you punk!"

Readin my rights and shit, it's all junk

Pullin out a silly club, so you stand

with a fake-assed badge and a gun in your hand

But take off the gun so you can see what's up

And we'll go at it punk, and I'ma **** you up!

Make you think I'ma kick your ass

but drop your gat, and Ren's gonna blast

I'm sneaky as **** when it comes to crime

But I'ma smoke 'em now and not next time

Smoke any motherfucker that sweats me

or any asshole, that threatens me

I'm a sniper with a hell of a scope

Takin out a cop or two, they can't cope with me

The motherfuckin villian that's mad

With potential, to get bad as ****
    So I'ma turn it around

Put in my clip, yo, and this is the sound

[BOOM, BOOM] Yeah, somethin like that

but it all depends on the size of the gat

Takin out a police, would make my day

But a nigga like Ren don't give a **** to say

[Cop] [knocking on the door]

[NWA] Yeah man, what you need?

[Cop] Police, open now

[NWA] Aww shit

[Cop] We have a warrant for Eazy-E's arrest

[Cop] Get down and put your hands up where I can see 'em

(Move motherfucker, move now!)

[NWA] What the **** did I do, man what did I do?

[Cop] Just shut the **** up

and get your motherfuckin ass on the floor

(You heard the man, shut the **** up!)

[NWA] But I didn't do shit

[Cop] Man just shut the **** up!

[Dr. Dre] 

Eazy-E, won't you step up to the stand

and tell the jury how you feel about this bullshit?

[Eazy-E]

I'm tired of the motherfuckin jackin

Sweatin my gang, while I'm chillin in the shack, and

shinin the light in my face, and for what?

Maybe it's because I kick so much butt

I kick ass - or maybe cause I blast

on a stupid-assed nigga when I'm playin with the trigger

of any Uzi or an AK

Cause the police always got somethin stupid to say

They put out my picture with silence

Cause my identity by itself causes violence

The E with the criminal behavior

Yeah, I'm a gangsta, but still I got flavor

Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?

A sucker in a uniform waitin to get shot

by me, or another nigga

And with a gat it don't matter if he's smaller or bigger

(MC Ren: Size ain't shit, he's from the old school fool)

And as you all know, E's here to rule

Whenever I'm rollin, keep lookin in the mirror

And ears on cue, yo, so I can hear a

dumb motherfucker with a gun

And if I'm rollin off the 8, he'll be the one

that I take out, and then get away

While I'm drivin off laughin this is what I'll say

The verdict

[Dre] The jury has found you guilty of bein a redneck, 

white bread, chickenshit motherfucker

[Cop] But wait, that's a lie! That's a god damn lie!

[Dre] Get him out of here!

[Cop] I want justice!

[Dre] Get him the **** out my face!

[Cop] I want justice!

[Dre] Out, RIGHT NOW!

[Cop] **** YOU, YOU BLACK MOTHER-FUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRS!

**** the police! [x3]

• Reply 153 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Does this mean Flava Flav will do the keynotes henceforth?
  • Reply 154 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I have no idea what American Idol has to do with this. I've never watched it.

All producers work in a subset of the industry. They work where they want to focus.

You don't like rap. We get it. Cool. I hope typing out these essays was a good use of your valuable time.

Now I will leave this thread as it finally got to the point where you and another are calling all rappers the n word. Thanks AI.

Because Jimmy Iovine has been part of American Idol for a long time.  

• Reply 155 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You need to get out and see more of the real world. Your view of this is in the extreme, tiny, minority. Your opinion is the typical knee-jerk reaction to popular brands. It’s the classic “only stupid people buy...” whatever you deem unworthy meme. Anything that doesn’t conform to your view is explained as the stupidity of the masses. The arrogance comes shining through. In short it’s the nerd ‘phile’ manifesto that only you know what is worth buying and priced appropriately. You are patently wrong when you assert that ‘many’ view Apple as a status brand with no value. The only people who think that are the ones in your minority ilk. You see your kind ranting and raving on c|net all day long when a positive article about Apple appears. And it’s very funny.

The fact that you don't know 'many' view Apple that way shows you haven't seen much of the world either.  And I didn't say that I see them that way.  As far as Beats go, I still think they're all hype.  You seem to think I'm in the minority on that as well, but just look at these comments and the comments on any website that isn't within a Beats community forum to see that.  Not that we're all 'right', but unlike you're comment says, we're not in the minority.

• Reply 156 of 243

I'm just going to sit back and wait and see what kind of PR nightmare Apple's going to have with regards to Dr. Dre becoming a high ranking employee/advisor to Apple.  I can't see him adding any value to any discussion about future Apple products, that's for sure.  Maybe he could advise Apple on how to get their stores break in proof from all of his friends and fans that drive cars through the front window, or walk into Apple Stores in plain site and rip off products.  Don't think they don't do that.   I was at an Apple Store when a kid wearing hip hop clothing that was obviously a big fan of rap music steal an Apple product and walk off with it.  It happens ALL of the time.  Maybe Dr. Dre can help reduce theft in Apple Stores.   If he could do that, then he might be worth keeping around, but I doubt he'd help in that area.  He doesn't want to drop a dime on his hommies.

• Reply 157 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Does this mean Flava Flav will do the keynotes henceforth?

No, he wasn't part of the Beats deal that I'm aware of. Not unless Dr. Dre axes his homies to join him on stage.

• Reply 158 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Oh please! They are using made up words...

1) Yeah, can't have those made up words darkening up our perfect lexicon handed down on high¡

2) Michael Jackson - Bad (1987) – Shamone. I guess that means Michael Jackson isn't a real musician now¡

3) 1700 words that don't occur in nature¡ are attributed to Shakespeare. I guess that means he's not a real writer now¡

:infinite face palms:

Do you know how ignorant and racist you're sounding? I think Pootie Tang needs to come teach you a lesson.
  • Reply 159 of 243
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    This could explain delay in releasing upgraded AppleTV. Not only include cpu upgrade to A7 [A8?]; but, switch on Bluetooth output for headphones.
  • Reply 160 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Yeah, can't have those made up words darkening up our perfect lexicon handed down on high¡

2) Michael Jackson - Bad (1987) – Shamone. I guess that means Michael Jackson isn't a real musician now¡

3) 1700 words that don't occur in nature¡ are attributed to Shakespeare. I guess that means he's not a real writer now¡

:infinite face palms:

Do you know how ignorant and racist you're sounding? I think Pootie Tang needs to come teach you a lesson.

Well, there are things about Michael Jackson that weren't exactly things I would recommend either.  And look how he ended up. Don't forget that.  He isn't exactly a prime example either.  He looked like Franenstein with all of his nose jobs.  Yeah, he had to use made up words to keep some of his audience. 

Shakespeare was using an older form of English.  The English language has gone through changes due to society. That's why his writings are difficult to understand unless you know how to interpret his writings.  But did Shakespeare use words like nigga, biotch, wattup, and the other made up words rap artists commonly use?  i don't think I want to see the English language modified by ilertate Ebonic speaking people.  Their words usually end up in a Slang dictionary, not a normal dictionary that English teachers and professors are going to teach kids to use instead or more appropriate words.

Making excuses for this is not going to get you anywhere or even any brownie points so why are you trying to make excuses for these losers?  

Racist?  No, I have probably hung out with more blacks that enjoyed my company than you'll ever know.  And how many times have you been to a concert where you were probably the only white person and everyone else was black and these concerts were in places like Oakland and East Palo Alto,  you would be too scared to go to a concert there in those conditions.  Yet, I was either performing as one of the headliners or was asked to attend by the concert promoter.  I didn't get hassled by anyone and got along with just about everyone.  And have you ever performed music in front of blacks that was predominately black music and got accolades for your playing afterwards?  I've had that happen to me plenty of times.  It's not being anymore racist than Bill Cosby is, he can't stand this rap culture either.  Are you calling Bill Cosby a racist too?  You seem to confuse racism with someone that wants kids to get an education and not get mixed up with extremely bad elements going around promoting the kinds of things they promote.  

And how many blacks do you socialize with on a normal basis that hate Rap Music?  I hang out and know a lot of them that hate this crap just as much as I and are you calling them a racist?  Me ignorant? NO, you are the ignorant one. Oh, and for your information, the rap culture is not specific to just blacks, people of other skin colors are getting into it too, but I guess you're racist brain can't comprehend that, can it?

Have you ever been hired by an African singer that performs afro pop music and was their preference for playing music that doesn't normally hire white people?  He and I had discussions about rap music, and he couldn't stand that crap either.  He DEFITITELY didn't consider me a racist nor have a lot of the blacks that I've had the exact same conversations with that can't stand the rap culture either.  I had a next door neighbor who's son was involved with that culture and his father and I had lots of discussions with his son to get him to speak intelligently and not use Ebonics, to dress properly so he doesn't look an idiot.  Between the two of us we got him to start to talk like a normal functioning person, to go to college to study business and to stop wearing his pants with his underwear hanging out.  Have you ever done anything to explain to someone that was brought up around that culture to help guide them out of it?  I have.  So, you might want to take your BS elsewhere.

At least I was helping a neighborhood friend's son out of that element. They helped me out from time to time and i reciprocated in turn.

So, how many kids that weren't your own out of that culture and into a way that helped them become more like a functioning person in society rather than another statistic in the legal system?  Yeah, just as I thought.  All talk, no action.