Continued popularity of Apple's legacy iPhone 4S added estimated 10M iPhone users last quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

I don't care if Apple makes larger iPhones or not because I personally don't need or want a larger iPhone. If Apple thinks or believes they can sell a larger iPhone successfully, good for them go for it. I just hope Apple continues to update and make a version with a 4 inch screen as well.

• Reply 62 of 92
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

It only proves that people like free more than a larger screen size.  If Apple offered two free options 3.5" and 4", which one do you think people will choose?

I think that's what's throwing this whole movement towards larger sized smartphones out of skew.  Initial purchase price.  There's some basic assumption that everyone loves larger displays but I think that cheaper pricing of larger display Android smartphones that may be the real driver towards larger smartphones.  I'm sure some consumers do want larger displays but I'm willing to bet they'd settle for a smaller display iPhone if the price is lower.  Smartphones won't continue to grow in size forever, so consumers may decide to choose some other feature in deciding on smartphone size.  I really can't believe that MOST consumers would desire displays above 4" but that's just my take.  We have to remember that there are carrier salespeople pushing certain models because of incentives.  There are also carriers who have tons of Android larger display smartphone inventory they need to move. I think large display smartphones sales are being driven by many things and not merely customer preference.  We'll see what consumers choose when Apple offers a larger display that may be even more expensive than current iPhone prices.

• Reply 63 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'd love to see the details behind this analysis. If we're supposed to believe these numbers then I guess we need to believe all those IDC, Strategy Analytics and Gartner market share figures too?

Apple does give overall sales numbers around the world, as well as country by country sales. Most other companies just give shipment numbers, or sales to distributers and retailers. Some, like Samsung, give no quarterly numbers at all.

The problem is that except for Apple, and Motorola (though we'll need to see what happens with them once Lenovo fully takes over), no one else gives sell through. So it's very difficult to verify, and calibrate the estimates these companies make. With Samsung, it's just all guesses, as there is nothing at all for these companies to look to from the manufacturer.

So some of these numbers make more sense than others. I firmly believe that all the guessing about Samsung sales are well off the mark on the high side, as whenever numbers do get revealed, they are always far lower than the numbers being guessed at.

With Apple, it's much easier. If a company wants to put the effort into it, they can get fairly accurate numbers. Are these accurate? How accurate, should be the question. I would imagine that plus or minus 10% would be barely useful. Anything better would help.

The only thing not mentioned here is what I brought in in another post, which is that Apple brought back the 4 for some time for third world countries, and according to retailer checks, that sold well. Apple has since withdrawn it again. He doesn't mention that in his report, and I don't know why. Possibly the times didn't match.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Any analysis that purports to show sales by model is fatally flawed, as there are multiple models of the 5S and 5C on the market, which Wold did not reflect in his "analysis".

For those that clamor Androids are better because they don't cost as much, or Apple should lower the price on iPhones in general, I say shut the f*ck up.  You obviously haven't the tiniest bit of business acumen and/or knowledge.  Your posts expose you as idiots.

I don't agree that it must be fatally flawed. The 5S is a 5S no matter which of the only two versions there are. Same thing for the 5C.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    >512ke 05/14/2014 10:13 AM
    >I love my 4S but those prices feel too high given what you can buy for the same money on the >Android side. Just saying.
    >
    >I wish Apple would introduce new phones and drop the price of the 4S by half.

sure, why not just give them away free!!! or if you want a hunk of crap then just go buy an Android!
  • Reply 66 of 92
    My main point being that as services inevitably improve and as Apple inevitably improves on their manufacturing processes (I foresee an iPhone with integrated electronics an order of magnitude more sophisticated than today's product...faster, smaller, cheaper). Software will be less important as the intelligence supporting services vastly improves.

Ok, but you said (bolding mine):

"most of the profits may come from software and services going forward...it could be that post-artificial intelligence, services will be everything!"
  • Reply 67 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wizard69 wrote: »

My concern with Apple is that they are chasing fads and not watching out for the bulk of the market. My iPhone isn't expected to do the things my iPad does. In fact I don't want to give up the ultra portability that the iPhone represents.
    I for one have no desire to lug around a huge cell phone in my pocket. I really hope that Apple is paying attention to what customers want here and not what a few analyst insist that they build. Apple needs a range of cell phones and needs to give up on the one pony show.

Your concerns are misplaced. Apple doesn't do fads. Apple doesn't need a range of phones. It shouldnt lose focus and use the Sammy shotgun approach. It should keep its 3 levels of iPhone models.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I have friends and relatives who really prefer their compact 4s. Hope Apple updates that size format. Maybe an iPhone Nano for those who love a compact but full-featured iOS device.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to see the details behind this survey, only numbers I trust are the ones Apple provides.

I guess that's why the headline of the article says 'estimated'?

• Reply 70 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Can anyone reading this site (well, the ones that willing to respond) understand why someone would buy a 5th generation iPhone when we're about 6 months from the 8th generation iPhone being released?
  • Reply 71 of 92
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    The Main reason for the 4S continued popularity is it's the only iPhone left with a dock connector. So if you are heavily invested in dock accessories (car, stereo, work etc.) you'll buy the 4S in order to avoid lightning adapters everywhere.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    oberpongo wrote: »
    The Main reason for the 4S continued popularity is it's the only iPhone left with a dock connector. So if you are heavily invested in dock accessories (car, stereo, work etc.) you'll buy the 4S in order to avoid lightning adapters everywhere.

See, I never would have considered that as a reason to buy a 4S other than an afterthought to cover all bases as a not impossibility, but improbable reason. I'd think that what you get from the newer devices is worth changes out a few cables or buying the adapter. I know the accessories market for iDevices is big, thanks in no small part to Apple keeping the same physical connector for many years and the same design for a minimum of two years, but from my PoV that isn't worth sticking with the 4S when the 5S is so much better. Thanks for the input.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Apple should also consider doing this http://bit.ly/1jIj15d
  • Reply 74 of 92
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    No surprisea here. The 4S is a great well-designed phone. Thougn I love my current 5S, I miss the solidity of the 4S & wished I would have kept it for spare use. The best iphone was the original though....small gem-like absolutely perfect...like an alien artifact from the future beamed directly to your hand.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The 4S/4 thickness and feel should not be lost on the upcoming 6 series.

It would also allow for a greater volume battery an/or more internal components. At this point, thin has ran its course.

Offering a 4S dimension and a 6/6S series dimension of 4.7/5.5 as the options would cover all markets.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess that's why the headline of the article says 'estimated'?
    I need to get In this business. Could probably make a lot of money coming up with estimates I could sell to my clients for a pretty penny.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My concern with Apple is that they are chasing fads and not watching out for the bulk of the market. My iPhone isn't expected to do the things my iPad does. In fact I don't want to give up the ultra portability that the iPhone represents.

I for one have no desire to lug around a huge cell phone in my pocket. I really hope that Apple is paying attention to what customers want here and not what a few analyst insist that they build. Apple needs a range of cell phones and needs to give up on the one pony show.

As for this report, the numbers are probably bogus, from what I understand the 5C is selling a lot better than this report implies.

Once you get the PhatiPhone and a pair of Beats you'll see what you've been missing. :D

• Reply 78 of 92
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    I wonder if they'll add AirDrop to the 4s now, since it's so popular.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    The 4S/4 thickness and feel should not be lost on the upcoming 6 series.

It would also allow for a greater volume battery an/or more internal components. At this point, thin has ran its course.

Offering a 4S dimension and a 6/6S series dimension of 4.7/5.5 as the options would cover all markets.

I don't think I'm reading your comments as intended because it sounds like you want the IPhone to not go regress from it's current thinness but also be the thickest and heaviest large-screened smartphone coming on the market.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Speaking of which I went into a high end audio store looking for a clock radio with a lightning connector and was told most manufacturers are only

doing bluetooth as they don't want to go through another change like the last time and get burnt with inventory. B&W, Bose- they're all bluetooth only now.