Continued popularity of Apple's legacy iPhone 4S added estimated 10M iPhone users last quarter

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    The iPhone 4 and 4s are still legitimate smartphones in many world markets. They were/are wonderful pieces of technology.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok, but you said (bolding mine):

"most of the profits may come from software and services going forward...it could be that post-artificial intelligence, services will be everything!"

I should've said apps may become less important, and if Apple offers a music subscription obviously individual songs become less important.

Apple could offer "entertainment packages" including apps, music, movies, etc. instead of individual purchases. For other services, artificial intelligence may prove to be the high-end personal assistant the wealthy have always had, but reimagined as simply being part of the iPhone's luxurious capabilities.

• Reply 83 of 92
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    I think the analyst is missing the price spread between various GB capacities in each model in backing into the weighted average ASP reported by Apple, isn't he? Or did he already incorporate that in the prices shown in that simple table? Looks like he's only using the entry level price for each model.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

They get data from retailers worldwide, and also talk to suppliers and look at their sales of products.

Wow, I didn't know the retailers and suppliers just open their mouths when Wolf comes calling.

• Reply 85 of 92
    gilesgiles Posts: 15member
    I for one keep my 4S only for its size even though it bars me from using 4G.. I do believe that Apple should keep making 3.5" devices, my hands and my pockets won't get any larger...
  • Reply 86 of 92
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member

I always loved the design of iPhone 4/4S... the glass faces with that metal rim. It's beautiful even almost 4 years later.

iPhone 5/5S/5C, IMHO, has a ordinary design.

• Reply 87 of 92
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    iPhone 4S is excellent!
    And after two years use it's still in pristine state.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    iPhone 4s is still quite a looker, no wonder people would like to have one. And it works good too, if not great
  • Reply 89 of 92
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

I am more than slightly sceptical about the calculated amounts.

At no point has the iPhone 4 been counted. It is claimed that the recent re-release of the iPhone 4 has help to double the installed base in India. Whilst Apple stopped supplying the 4 a couple of weeks ago, it is still available via partner carriers, typically costing $190 (un-subsidised).

Surely this would have had a massive impact on the average selling price?

• Reply 90 of 92
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:

The only thing not mentioned here is what I brought in in another post, which is that Apple brought back the 4 for some time for third world countries, and according to retailer checks, that sold well. Apple has since withdrawn it again. He doesn't mention that in his report, and I don't know why. Possibly the times didn't match.

oops... sorry, my bad. I posted before reading all of the replies.

• Reply 91 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    adamc wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know the retailers and suppliers just open their mouths when Wolf comes calling.

Yes, they do talk to companies. Usually, it's off the record. But there is an advantage to these companies as well. They will likely get coverage they didn't get otherwise. Everything is tit for tat. We know how suppliers talk, for example. I've talked to some. Know the right people, and someone will always talk.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    overlord wrote: »
    I always loved the design of iPhone 4/4S... the glass faces with that metal rim. It's beautiful even almost 4 years later.
    iPhone 5/5S/5C, IMHO, has a ordinary design.

I don't think so. But, the 5/5s are far less breakable than the older series, and that's more important.