Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

This is a huge problem. The "fixes" some of you are talking about don't always work. I see this happen almost on a daily basis. Sometime deactivating your number first works sometimes it doesn't. People have done every single step on this page http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755 and it still doesn't work. It's a really big issue that is all on Apple this time. 

• Reply 22 of 184
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I think this lady actually thought she will will be able to receive iMessages after switching to Android.  This is like the smartphone kill mechanism many Android users want that they coerced lawmakers to force smartphone makers to implement it although I think Apple has a patent.  

• Reply 23 of 184
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

My understanding is that switching off iMessage does not consistently solve this issue. This is a long-standing problem, and it seemed to affect people who sold their iPhone, but did not log out of their Apple ID. Supposedly, one of the major carriers had been telling customers they would need to wait ~40 days before iMessages would stop intercepting SMS texts. I'm not sure if this applied to those switching platforms or merely swapping out one iPhone for another.

Seems that the best way to avoid this issue is to turn iMessages off, log the iPhone out of the Apple ID, switch off Find My iPhone, AND do a factory reset of the iPhone before moving the SIM card over to a different phone. I suspect that most people having issues with iMessages failed to do at least one of those steps.

iMessages were originally pitched as a way around the per-text fees charged by carriers. The genius of iMessage is how it seamlessly integrates a closed-loop messaging service with SMS and MMS messages. Aside from the background color, I can't tell if the message comes to me from iMessage or a different format.

It's one of those "it just works" features that apparently falls apart when you try to unbundle the SMS texting from Apple's proprietary service. Then again, this pattern seems similar to how iLife and iTunes don't play nice when it comes to sharing files with other applications.

• Reply 24 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

so they filed a law suit instead of calling tech support?

Sometimes tech support can't even fix it.

• Reply 25 of 184
    Read the documentation and shut your trap! I bet these are the same people that click "okay" without reading the dialogue box on their computers.
  • Reply 26 of 184
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Apple should take some responsibility here. It's not something you typically think you would have to do, and once you no longer have an Apple device, the procedure for unlinking your phone number from iMessage is not clear.

Are they the same SIM cards? I would think putting her back in an iPhone, turning off the service, them going back to her current phone that it would work based on what I understand the problem to be. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
  • Reply 27 of 184
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Remove your phone number from iMessage. Dumb arse.

Not that simple. I gave my son my old iPad. I signed out from everything (FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud.. you name it). I didn't sign his Apple ID to anything. Then when I opened the iMessage app it showed my phone numbers and iCloud emails and want me to choose which one to use use for iMessage!! It didn't matter that I have signed out from iMessage in the settings. Go figure. There should be a setting in iCloud.com where you can remove your Apple ID from all iOS devices at once (iMessage and FaceTime). This is a big security issue with iMessage and if this lawsuit gets Apple to fix it them be it. This issue was reported by users more than 2 years ago.

• Reply 28 of 184
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member

It's a genuine problem.  A .little "Fan Fic Theatre":

Judge:  "Are there SMS messages you haven't received?"

Lady:  "Yes.  If you look on my new GS5, you see I didn't receive anything, but if you look on Joe's phone, he sent me a message."

Judge:  "Look, here.  The message Joe sent you wasn't an SMS message.  It was an iMessage.  He should have sent you an SMS instead.  Looks like your SMS messages aren't being interfered."

Lady: "But it's burdensome and onerous that my friends and family don't know how to force messages from default iMessage to SMS."

Judge:  "True, that might be anti-competitive of Apple....a sort of penalty for switching away from their services..."

Joe:  "Are you saying that my Messages app isn't working as advertised?  Maybe I should sue?"

Judge:  "Don't get carried away.  You can still send the messages, just hold down on the blue bubble message until you see an option to send it as a text message."

Joe:  "But sometimes that option doesn't pop up, especially if the message is already received by her iPad."

Judge:  "Well, turn off your iMessage and send the messages."

Joe:  "Well then I won't get messages from my iPhone friends...."

Judge:  "Hmm...  It's a conundrum to be sure..."

• Reply 29 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

1. She buys a the least innovative phone on the market. The galaxy s5.

2. She doesn't even google the stuff.

3. She doesn't contact Apple to remove the number

4.She doesn't restore her phone before trading it in or sign out if her iCloud/iMessage/Facetime

5. Why is she still running iOS 5?

6. Maybe her friends had her number as iPhone under contacts image

7. She actually sues them.

8. She doesn't even check for a fix.

Because as a user when you sign out of service on your phone you don't have to do all of these things to stop the service. I expect when I go to setting and sign out of iMessage then Apple should stop showing me as an iMessage user when people send me messages (refer to my previous post #28). It is that Simple.

• Reply 30 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Are they the same SIM cards? I would think putting her back in an iPhone, turning off the service, them going back to her current phone that it would work based on what I understand the problem to be. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

SMS is a standardised protocol, it should not be the user's problem to requisition an iPhone to stop Apple from controlling their service.  If Apple are going to activate iMessage automatically when a customer adopts an iPhone, and take over their SMS (it is on by default, IIRC), then Apple should deactivate iMessage automatically when a customer adopts a phone other than an iPhone.

I'm firmly of the belief that good customer service isn't just treating your existing customers well, it's letting people leave easily while giving them a reason to come back.

• Reply 31 of 184
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    There are many frivolous lawsuits without any merit but this is not one of them.

Read what this guy went through.

http://adampash.com/imessage-purgatory/
  • Reply 32 of 184
    supremesupreme Posts: 31member
    crowley wrote: »
    SMS is a standardised protocol, it should not be the user's problem to requisition an iPhone to stop Apple from controlling their service.  If Apple are going to activate iMessage automatically when a customer adopts an iPhone, and take over their SMS (it is on by default, IIRC), then Apple should deactivate iMessage automatically when a customer adopts a phone other than an iPhone.

I'm firmly of the belief that good customer service isn't just treating your existing customers well, it's letting people leave easily while giving them a reason to come back.

I agree 100%

It's not the users responsibility to switch off a service that is automatically configured by Apple. If an Apple user moves to a different platform they shouldn't have to go through all this trouble to recieve something as basic as an SMS message when Apple is the one who integrated iMessages and SMS messages on their previous iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 184
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    tlevier wrote: »
    But who should have standing? Apple isn't interfering with their SMS's. The problem is with their remaining customers who have an iPhone that improperly recognizes a contact as an iMessage contact. I would think that the sender would have standing, and if you look at their options, the could simply turn off iMessage to send an SMS (or hold down on the blue coded message and select "Send as Text Message")

Or even resend the message when you get the error indicating it could not be delivered. When you do that it asks to send as SMS. When I do that, it keeps sending as SMS. I am really not sure what the issue is here. There were no "lost" messages, only inattentive senders who failed to notice big red exclamation points.
  • Reply 34 of 184
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Not that simple. I gave my son my old iPad. I signed out from everything (FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud.. you name it). I didn't sign his Apple ID to anything. Then when I opened the iMessage app it showed my phone numbers and iCloud emails and want me to choose which one to use use for iMessage!! It didn't matter that I have signed out from iMessage in the settings. Go figure. There should be a setting in iCloud.com where you can remove your Apple ID from all iOS devices at once (iMessage and FaceTime). This is a big security issue with iMessage and if this lawsuit gets Apple to fix it them be it. This issue was reported by users more than 2 years ago.

It's not that difficult. You should have restored your iPad to factory settings before you gave your old iPad to your son. 

• Reply 35 of 184
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

4.She doesn't restore her phone before trading it in or sign out if her iCloud/iMessage/Facetime

6. Maybe her friends had her number as iPhone under contacts image

Are you a Windows user? This is Apple, we don't have to do that kind of shit. 

• Reply 36 of 184
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

How, if you don't have an iOS device any more?

There's definitely a problem here, and it's tied up with Apple's integration of SMS and iMessage.  If Apple are acknowledging it, and yet haven't solved it since iOS5, then a lawsuit is fair enough; they should have fixed it.

You actually need to remove your number from a different iOS device or from Apples website here:

https://supportprofile.apple.com

• Reply 37 of 184
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

There are many frivolous lawsuits without any merit but this is not one of them.

Read what this guy went through.

http://adampash.com/imessage-purgatory/

Meh. Stick with Apple. :smokey:

• Reply 38 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

It's not that difficult. You should have restored your iPad to factory settings before you gave your old iPad to your son. 

Why? He is nine and using the apps I bought him. I don't want to restore just to go back and download 10GB of the same apps I deleted 30 seconds ago. Why is so difficult for you guys to understand that when you sign out of a service on your phone/PC/tablet the service should stop?! Apple messed up and they need to fix this. It is not a new problem. This was reported two years ago and they haven't done anything about it yet.

• Reply 39 of 184
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

so they filed a law suit instead of calling tech support?

Why do you assume she didn't try that?

• Reply 40 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

What she replaced the iPhone with is 100% beside the point.  Apple do not have a right to punish her SMS service for moving to a competitor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Aside from these being besides the point of there being an issue created by Apple which they do not warn users about, do you have any evidence that any of these points are true?

Plus, 3 demonstrably doesn't work, as per the adampash link posted earlier, 4 seems not to reliably work either from anecdotal evidence, and there is no clear fix.

Quote:

Absolutely irrelevant.  The issue still exists in iOS7.

Quote:

6. Maybe her friends had her number as iPhone under contacts image

Maybe they did.  So what?  Apple still needs to be smarter when they commandeer a standardised protocol.

Quote:

Probably the best way to get Apple to pay attention, if the issue has been there since iOS5.  Good on her.